F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47 Cp4 disaster prevention kit installed
Extreme Powerhouse

02-21-2024, 09:41 PM   #1
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328d

N47 Cp4 disaster prevention kit installed

Got the WhitBread performance n47 diesel hpfp disaster prevention kit installed. This part interfaces the metering valve and reroutes fuel flow between the low and high pressure chambers of the cp4 pump. When the cp4 eventually grenades the metal fragments are sent to the included filter, not allowing to circulate the fuel system. Results are you will only need to replace the hpfp, and filter. Not the injectors and rest of the fuel system. Install is straight forward no special tools besides requiring Protools or ISTA to prime the fuel system.

I believe Matt is building a log of kits. Assume they will be for sale on his webpage soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:39 AM   #2
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

How did the install go. Any concerns or issues. I am super interested in this after already having one full replacement under warranty. Any clue on what the cost is?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
How did the install go. Any concerns or issues. I am super interested in this after already having one full replacement under warranty. Any clue on what the cost is?
Install it easy. You’ll install this under the metering valve and then run some plumbing. Access to the hpfp is limited which is where some difficulty is. I learned quickly to install hose on the barb before installing the adapter part; nearly impossible to tighten a hose clamp if the adapter is already installed. Recommend remove the cowl above the engine to gain more access. No issues thus far and shouldn’t see any as it’s just redirecting fuel flow through a filter.

Shoot Whitbread an email. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has one on the shelf. No clue on cost as I elected to be a test subject for this part. He does sell a lot of these to the VW guys. I believe his VW kit is around ~$200. Don’t quote me on that. Ahah
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:53 PM   #4
ssf556
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

I have the TME secondary fuel filter...what does this do that does not do?
      02-23-2024, 10:47 PM   #5
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssf556 View Post
I have the TME secondary fuel filter...what does this do that does not do?

I also have the TME 1micron filter. Tme filter is installed on the feed side of the system after the oem filter. Removes contamination from the fuel before it enters the hpfp but that’s is all. To some degree the TME filter will lessen the chance of the hpfp failing but from my understanding the hpfp fails from manufactured tolerance issues not fuel quality. It’s cheap insurance and never gunna hurt to filter fuel more finely than the oem filter.
The cp4, particularly the low pressure(crank case) side of the pump is known to fail sending microscopic metal particles throughout the entire fuel system. Disaster prevention kits reroute the way fuel flows from low-high pressure chambers of the hpfp. In oem form the pump will fail and circulate metal through the system til the pump totally dies. With the disaster kit the low-high chambers are split and a filter is installed between the 2. If/when the cp4 starts to eat it self the metal fragments are caught immediately. Sure the pump will fail but you’ll only need to replace the hpfp and filter. Not the entire fuel system.
If you do experience a failure without the disaster kit and don’t replace every part that touch’s fuel. Upon remedying the failed pump you’ll just reintroduce microscopic metal fragments stuck in the nooks and crannies resulting in another bad hpfp and twice the metal contamination. There’s a lot of info on this here and don’t quote me on the exact number but I believe it’s about $8k the entire system. Where a new cp4 pump and filter is <$1500.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 07:59 AM   #6
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Seems like a good idea. What causes the pump to grenade itself in the first place? I've heard cheap dirty fuel can be a cause?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 08:15 AM   #7
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Seems like a good idea. What causes the pump to grenade itself in the first place? I've heard cheap dirty fuel can be a cause?
I’m not 100% sure. I’ve heard the same thing that low quality fuel will cause issues. Granted the CP4 was delivered in some dodge, and vw vehicles as well. Wonder if those communities have figured it out. But it’s enough of an issue the Dodge truck guys just throw it away and retrofit to an entirely different hpfp.
But I’m gunna guess that manufacturered tolerances of the pump combined with the poor quality diesel we have the US will do the job well enough.
Whitbread was telling me that he’s been making and selling these kits to VW guys for years and the just is that it’s not if the cp4 pump fails, it’s more or less when it fails. But then again I’ve seen several guys with 200k+ miles on the oem hpfp.
I see it as cheap insurance especially considering I have a prelci car. Allegedly the lci cars got the updated part# cp4 pump less likely to fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:37 AM   #8
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Just to clarify, is there an additional filter added with this disaster prevention kit? I have the TME filter, but never installed it and sold it. I don't love the design of it. My understanding of the disaster prevention is that it routes from HPFP directly to OEM filter, is that correct or no? Just wanting to make sure I fully understand how it works.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 11:59 AM   #9
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify, is there an additional filter added with this disaster prevention kit? I have the TME filter, but never installed it and sold it. I don't love the design of it. My understanding of the disaster prevention is that it routes from HPFP directly to OEM filter, is that correct or no? Just wanting to make sure I fully understand how it works.
Ohh gotcha sorry. No the kit includes a 10micron filter. Filter is plumbed inbetween the high and low chambers of the hpfp so any debris is caught immediately when it comes out of the low pressure chamber. This kit retains the oem fuel filter that is on the feed side pre-hpfp and is effectively completely seperate. See post#5 for a bit more info on the TMe filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #10
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Makes sense on the 10 micron - Feels like the TME and this disaster prevention might be overkill? I am not engineer but would love to see if it causes any additional restriction that causes increased wear or overwork scenarios for HP or LPFP
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 03:33 PM   #11
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense on the 10 micron - Feels like the TME and this disaster prevention might be overkill? I am not engineer but would love to see if it causes any additional restriction that causes increased wear or overwork scenarios for HP or LPFP
I’ve wondered the same but have seen threads about guys running the TME filters for nearly 50k miles. Only really one way to find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:29 AM   #12
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMeatPants View Post
I’ve wondered the same but have seen threads about guys running the TME filters for nearly 50k miles. Only really one way to find out.
Keep us updated!
Appreciate 1