F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help deciding on the new F3X features
proTUNING Freaks

01-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Question Need help deciding on the new F3X features

Hi there,

I drive an E90 M3 now and I have an order for the new F80 M3. There are a lot of features in the new 3 series that I don't quite understand and not sure of. I spent some time searching this forum and youtube but didn't find anything satisfactory so I decided to create a thread and ask everyone's feedback.

First I want to ask your opinion on which one of these are not as useful as the others. Which ones do you think are must haves? Also, I have individual questions regarding specific options as noted below, I'd appreciate it if you could answer them.

Side and Top-View Cameras
Lane Departure Warning

Forward Collision Warning : Will this suddenly brake the car if I'm closely following the car in front of me or get too close? I drive in the city a lot and there are times when there is less than a few feet between the car in front of me in speeds of 25-30 mph.

Pedestrian Warning

City Collision Mitigation : What's the difference between this and forward collision warning?

Active Blind Spot Detection

Full LED Lights : I know these look better, but do they actually show better?

Automatic High Beams

Parallel Parking Assistant : Is this the same one that is found in 5 series?

Active Cruise Control : Does this provide full braking if the guy in front of you slams the brakes?

I need a bit of a guidance here as I feel quite overwhelmed with the number of features the new cars have. I don't want to waste my money but also don't want to miss out great features.

Also, are these features on or off by default and in either case is there a way to change the default setting or do I have to press buttons every time I start the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I'd get the tech package and LEDs at a minimum.

Rest are....icing.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
I always think that if your budget permits, it's always best to get ALL the options. Every option is just an extra thing for you to play with and makes you appreciate how much technology have advanced since the last generation. More objectively however, here's what I think about each of the options:

Side and Top-View Cameras - Really depends on the color of the car. I'd only get it if it's black so that the front side cameras will seem less obvious. However, you should get it if you get curb rash often.

Lane Departure Warning - Get it if you do a lot of long drives and suffer from fatigue. It's much better to have you own car warn you than have the 18-wheeler do it.

Forward Collision Warning - You'll play with it a few times then won't notice that it's there. Just try not to get into an accident when testing it out (it happened to my fd and I was laughing sooooo hard).

Pedestrian Warning - Night vision is really cool but utterly useless. I have it in my s-class and rigorously tested it out. There is simply no situation in which the system can detect a pedestrian that you cannot see even when the person is deliberately trying to make that happen.

Active Blind Spot Detection - Saves you some embarrassing moments but trains you not to turn your head. At least that was what my ex told me when she drove right into another car when she was in a car without that system (I highly suspect that she never looks anyways).

Full LED Lights - I have this in my 435, arguably better contrast but must be side-by-side to dell the difference. The pattern is definitely different when you shine it on a wall. You wont notice it in ordinary driving.

Automatic High Beams - You'll never get it to work in the city. You'll have to get an extend stretch of total darkness for it to turn on. I've only seen it working twice, and that was when I deliberately tested it. Most likely, you wont even remember to turn the automatic function on every time you start the car.

Parallel Parking Assistant - works in 90% of the situation but will have problems if there's awkwardly shaped partial obstructions. In really tight situations, it's still best to have a friend step out.

Active Cruise Control - You'll really appreciate this in slow moving traffic. A while back, my daily commute involves a stretch of traffic. I would never do that commute again in a car without active cruise.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

Rest are....icing.
The problem is there are already only 2 packages in the M3 and if I get them both then I get all options. Not sure how it works in the regular 3 series, maybe you guys have another package.

What about the ability to set the defaults on these options? One annoying thing I have right now is the auto start stop for example is always off by default and I have to turn it on. The car has no memory to remember the last button state. Am I going to have to turn on or off all these features every time the car starts? What are their default values (if the answer is no)?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

It is always nice to have the gadgets to play with, so it becomes a personal decision on whether it is 'worth it'

Personally, out of all the ones you listed, I think the side and top view cameras are the only ones that MIGHT be useful.

For the F80 M3 in particularly, I think the only 'must have' option is the M-DCT but even that is subject to personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Just get it loaded, no issues then, besides learning all your new little toys, in your new big toy.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

Rest are....icing.
The problem is there are already only 2 packages in the M3 and if I get them both then I get all options. Not sure how it works in the regular 3 series, maybe you guys have another package.

What about the ability to set the defaults on these options? One annoying thing I have right now is the auto start stop for example is always off by default and I have to turn it on. The car has no memory to remember the last button state. Am I going to have to turn on or off all these features every time the car starts? What are their default values (if the answer is no)?
Dealer will code auto start stop on delivery if you ask.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Side and Top-View Cameras - living in the city and having to park in tight spots, this was a must for me...i can park fine without just using the mirrors but it's far less stressful and easier to get as close to a wall with 100% accuracy...i actually wish this came with front cameras like my wife's infinity to complete the surround view

Lane Departure Warning - unnecessary

Forward Collision Warning - unnecessary

Pedestrian Warning - unnecessary

Active Blind Spot Detection - unnecessary, learn the right way to position your side view mirrors and you won't have blind spots

Full LED Lights - i have this and while i think this too is unnecessary, i love how it looks...if you're a someone that likes modding lights to get rid of any hint of yellow, this is all you need...it's too expensive and doesn't really do anything the xenons don't but they sure are pretty and very noticeable...i get more looks at my lights than the fact that i drive a new 4 series

Automatic High Beams - THIS IS A MUST, not necessarily for the HBA themselves but the fact that it's only $250 and with simple coding you can fully enable euro-spec glare-free high beams...you need to have some sort of camera and HBA gives it to you for the cheapest price...otherwise you'd have to get the driver assistance package plus with the speed limit info for the better camera

Parallel Parking Assistant - i have this and it works although not all the time...i guess if you live in the city and need to parallel park often, get it but parallel parking isn't that hard and having the top-view camera can do the job as well...it's a nifty feature, get it if you think you'd use it

Active Cruise Control - once again, i actually like driving my car so i never use cruise control...i don't think i've even pushed any of those left-hand buttons once since i got the car
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
RealStig
Banned
Rep

I don't think I am going to get any of these features other than the LED headlights. I never use cruise control. I always explicitly turn my head to look over my right shoulder for blind spots (don't want to stop doing that). I haven't had a single curb rash in any of my wheels for over 15 years now so I don't need any of the cameras. The other safety features are not worth it in my opinion. I have been driving M3s for a long time and driving this car requires a good amount of attention.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I really appreciate it guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

I would recommend getting the forward collision warning, which I believe comes with ACC. Even if you don't use ACC, the collision warning is useful. While I pay great attention while I drive and have never had an accident, there have been a couple times where I came damn close. The collision warning will go off if it detects you are about to ram the car in front of you, and does this based on your speed, the speed of the car in front of you and the distance. It saved me at least once when I looked behind me to change lanes on the freeway and traffic in front of me just stopped. That extra half a second of warning, and the fact that it will prep the brakes, is worth the money IMO as an extra safety feature.

And yes, it remembers the last setting for everything in the F30. The Forward collision warning, lane departure and automatic start/stop all remain on their last position when starting the car.

ACC also will completely brake if the car in front of you stops. It works great when braking slowly, or if they slam on their brakes. I tried it (keeping my foot having on the brake pedal just in case) but it worked perfectly every time. Just a tap on the gas and it will start going again.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
gomichaelkgo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I love active cruise control. I use it all the time on my commute.

If someone slams on their brakes, active cruise will also hit the brakes, but it does not have full braking power. That's when the forward collision system will beep at you to hit the brakes too. It can bring the car to a stop, but not a panic stop.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that the city collision thing is camera based, and does have full braking power, but does not work at highway speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MG/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
Side and Top-View Cameras - living in the city and having to park in tight spots, this was a must for me...i can park fine without just using the mirrors but it's far less stressful and easier to get as close to a wall with 100% accuracy...i actually wish this came with front cameras like my wife's infinity to complete the surround view

Lane Departure Warning - unnecessary

Forward Collision Warning - unnecessary

Pedestrian Warning - unnecessary

Active Blind Spot Detection - unnecessary, learn the right way to position your side view mirrors and you won't have blind spots

Full LED Lights - i have this and while i think this too is unnecessary, i love how it looks...if you're a someone that likes modding lights to get rid of any hint of yellow, this is all you need...it's too expensive and doesn't really do anything the xenons don't but they sure are pretty and very noticeable...i get more looks at my lights than the fact that i drive a new 4 series

Automatic High Beams - THIS IS A MUST, not necessarily for the HBA themselves but the fact that it's only $250 and with simple coding you can fully enable euro-spec glare-free high beams...you need to have some sort of camera and HBA gives it to you for the cheapest price...otherwise you'd have to get the driver assistance package plus with the speed limit info for the better camera

Parallel Parking Assistant - i have this and it works although not all the time...i guess if you live in the city and need to parallel park often, get it but parallel parking isn't that hard and having the top-view camera can do the job as well...it's a nifty feature, get it if you think you'd use it

Active Cruise Control - once again, i actually like driving my car so i never use cruise control...i don't think i've even pushed any of those left-hand buttons once since i got the car
Agree with most of what you say except for the blind spot comment. Doubt that mirrors however well positioned can capture all of the whats needed to be seen before switching lanes which is why turning around to look and make sure is a must.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamy View Post
Agree with most of what you say except for the blind spot comment. Doubt that mirrors however well positioned can capture all of the whats needed to be seen before switching lanes which is why turning around to look and make sure is a must.
once you start adjusting your side-view mirrors properly, you never have to turn and look back...most people, when adjusting their mirrors like to see the rear quarter panel of their car...that is the incorrect way and will lead to major blind spots...you must instead position them far outwards...there's really no reason for you to be able to see your own car in your side view without completely tilting your head in that direction...what you want to see is the other lane and you want to be able to follow cars in that lane from the rearview, to the sideview, to in front of you (or reverse if you are going faster than them)

this explains it pretty well:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
once you start adjusting your side-view mirrors properly, you never have to turn and look back...most people, when adjusting their mirrors like to see the rear quarter panel of their car...that is the incorrect way and will lead to major blind spots...you must instead position them far outwards...there's really no reason for you to be able to see your own car in your side view without completely tilting your head in that direction...what you want to see is the other lane and you want to be able to follow cars in that lane from the rearview, to the sideview, to in front of you (or reverse if you are going faster than them)

this explains it pretty well:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
interesting thread of comments there! thanks for the link anyway will try it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamy View Post
interesting thread of comments there! thanks for the link anyway will try it out.
no problem...to this day i'm still amazed they don't teach this in driver's ed...it's such a fundamental thing to know about driving

just make sure that when you see a car approaching from your rearview, you can follow the car as it overlaps into your side view and then it overlaps into your field of vision...that is important, you should always be able to see the cars directly to each side of you...if at any point you lose the car, then your mirrors are not positioned correctly
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no problem...to this day i'm still amazed they don't teach this in driver's ed...it's such a fundamental thing to know about driving

just make sure that when you see a car approaching from your rearview, you can follow the car as it overlaps into your side view and then it overlaps into your field of vision...that is important, you should always be able to see the cars directly to each side of you...if at any point you lose the car, then your mirrors are not positioned correctly
Did this yesterday & used this link too:
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%8...te-Blind-Spots

While its definitely better than earlier and I am not as disoriented as others on the thread, I still think there's value to glancing over & making sure some douche isnt jumping over from 2 lanes away!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Exclamation

First congrats on getting the F80 M3 !

My Dream....

I think a combination between what rasengan and synclastica 86 said sums it up very well.

Personally, i would keep the superflu stuff away, and keep what is only necessary to you.

In order of priority and importance:

6MT - If you can handle it.

Active Blind Spot Detection - Although i have been using the Anti-Blindstop Rear View mirror set up well before Car and Driver showed it to everyone. I think the Active Blind Spot Detection would be a nice addition to catch that much faster car coming up out of nowhere... Other than that, in traffic, you will be constantly having that light up all the time...

Full LED Lights - Only esthetic... but what a cool effect.

Active Cruise Control - Very nice when you just want to cruise

Forward Collision Warning - i have no experience with this one.

Pedestrian Warning - i have no experience with this one... but relying on my eyes up until now... haven't hit anyone person yet...

Side and Top-View Cameras - i would guess this be useful in avoiding curb rash...

Parallel Parking Assistant - Sorry to sound patronizing, but everyone driving should be learning how to parallel park. There is no excuse, whether you are man or woman, old or young. PERIOD. Especially being in the city. You just have to. I am Parisian, but the kind that knows how to park properly, without scratching anyone else car :P

Lane Departure Warning - Nice to have if you are planning on snoozing a lot while driving... Are you driving a Buick... (Sorry for the generalization, but it was to serve the idea)

Automatic High Beams - I have this, it is very useful... but how often do you drive in total darkness ? How much annoyed do you get having to switch back and forth between Low and High ?

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 01-31-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0