F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan N20 Stage 2 Tune
Studio RSR

06-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Dinan N20 Stage 2 Tune

Does anyone know when this is coming out and what it will include ?

Will it be a CAI + exhaust with their ECU tune upgraded to take into account the additional performance parts ?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
cmonter3323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

interested if there will be a stage 2 since our 4 bangers top out at around 330 hp / 350 tq
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Looks like our injectors are around 550cc or so, which is a decent size and allows for some upgraded hp, to around 350 or so from strictly a fuel and air (turbo engine) perspective. 300 or so has been achieved on stage 1, but one of the big limiting factors is the turbo, it's a tiny TD04 and will lose its breath quickly. Usually at the 550cc flow rate you can go to a VF39 sized turbo, which isn't huge, but a good size for up to 350hp, which the injectors would top out at, so it makes a good match. I had a TD04 and it started wheezing past 5K, but it was like a rocket between 2500 and 4.5 or so. That's simply because if you try to spin it too fast, it starts losing boost, it just can't make enough air to make more power, holding the wastegate shut at this point doesn't help anything, it won't continue to make more pressure (blades are stalling). I would caution people to think about your end result, you may be promised the sky, but you may end up with something that rockets up to high boost fast and then fizzles out and won't hold any top-end, not to mention the spikes you are putting on the rest of the turbo and fuel delivery components.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Looks like our injectors are around 550cc or so, which is a decent size and allows for some upgraded hp, to around 350 or so from strictly a fuel and air (turbo engine) perspective. 300 or so has been achieved on stage 1, but one of the big limiting factors is the turbo, it's a tiny TD04 and will lose its breath quickly. Usually at the 550cc flow rate you can go to a VF39 sized turbo, which isn't huge, but a good size for up to 350hp, which the injectors would top out at, so it makes a good match. I had a TD04 and it started wheezing past 5K, but it was like a rocket between 2500 and 4.5 or so. That's simply because if you try to spin it too fast, it starts losing boost, it just can't make enough air to make more power, holding the wastegate shut at this point doesn't help anything, it won't continue to make more pressure (blades are stalling). I would caution people to think about your end result, you may be promised the sky, but you may end up with something that rockets up to high boost fast and then fizzles out and won't hold any top-end, not to mention the spikes you are putting on the rest of the turbo and fuel delivery components.
So much conversation around this right now. I would like to go to a larger turbo or at least the larger internals that Hexon or Pure are offering.

Both companies say 350whp is very achievable.

Right now most folks are topped out at 320hp and 340 lbft at the wheel even with the turbo upgrade.

HOWEVER, there have also been a couple blown engines, one very recent with a Hexon turbo (internals) upgrade. More with the stock turbo, tune (running high boost ~23lbs), and Downpipe.

Not much clarity around the cause at this stage. Some pointing at the turbo in the upgrade's case, some the high boost of the stock turbo coupled with the JB4 tune and Catless downpipe.

What you are saying makes sense.

I'm actually not interested in hitting the boost hard and high for that much more torque. 320 - 330lbft would be ample for me. I'm more interested in holding the boost with the increase in flow requirement as the engine gets above 4500-5000rpm to make the 330-350whp.

We're learning all the time what this engine is capable of.

Supposedly Stage 3 (turbo) is going to require bottom end upgrades. Certainly the Conrod bolts, maybe the conrods themselves and pistons too.

@GSRtechnik are really doing great work on this front. I'm watching very closely, as the Stage 3 for me is definitely on the horizon. I already have Hexon standing by with the Turbo side of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post

I'm actually not interested in hitting the boost hard and high for that much more torque. 320 - 330lbft would be ample for me. I'm more interested in holding the boost with the increase in flow requirement as the engine gets above 4500-5000rpm to make the 330-350whp.
99% of the time, that means larger turbo. Holding the boost is exactly what a tiny turbo has trouble with, especially when pushed beyond it's intended boost.
Appreciate 1