F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F31/F30 Surround View Retrofit (5DL)
proTUNING Freaks

09-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

F31/F30 Surround View Retrofit (5DL)

Installation Date : 28 July 2017

First things first. Mad shout out to jkwhar for helping me with the finishing touches

I used Roxxor's and hrvojehk DIY for parts and references. Since the pics are gone I had to figure it out. My car already had front and rear PDC

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1130598

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=39

NOTE: Like any DIY project, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle as a result of attempting this retrofit. This information is simply posted as a reference to help others who may wish to do this project on their own.

Parts :
-Surround view control unit
-Surround view HSD
-Fillister head screw x 4 07149166316
-Center Console Switch 61319252913
-Bumper repair kit 51117324343
-Front bumper camera x2 66539240352
-Mirror camera housing (Left & Right)
-Mirror screws 51167284135
-Mirror cable x2 61129281712
-Custom FAKRA Cable x2

Tools: See other lists, don't recall every tool but i did use other items to help
- pipe cleaners
-cable ties
-OEM bumper cutting tool

I apologize i did not take pictures every step of the way. Doing it in the GA heat makes you want to hurry up
You can start on any side first (Passenger bumper, passenger door, driver bumper, driver door).

Remove front bumper.
I removed it and placed it on a padding to avoid scuffs. At this time I also installed the LED fog lights.

I used the OEM PDC cutting tool to make perfect holes :thump:. Installed the front bracket and camera.

I plugged the cable to the cameras and routed them upwards. I then reinstalled the front bumper.

Next moved onto the mirrors.
I removed the door panel and speaker trim.
I remove the T-30 bolts that holding the mirror and removed the mirror.

I brought the mirrors inside to disassemble and do some prep work.
I wrapped the HSD cables in OEM loom tape to make it as factory as possible (not required)

I removed the custom cable plastic connectors, you will not be needing them.

Once mirror is disassembled you'll need to bore out the circle hole. This is where the mirror cable goes through. I believe it was a 1/4 bit.

Start small and keep working u on bits and fitting it till it locks in *click*

Install the camera to the mirror camera housing and route cable. Reassemble mirror and install back on door.

Route the custom cable with the door harness. Ensure you keep track of the connections so it works. Route and wrap the cable along the harness.

Push the connector till it locks in

Be sure to plug in cable and test to ensure its plugged in correctly

Warning: Routing the cable through the door is a pain in the A. Also working on the inside of the car to the door slot. FYI. Re assemble door panels once you verify the connections are the same.

*The custom cable; I connected it to the mirror straight on. When it Comes to the inside to the door part you will have to rotate it and trim the corner down to the angle. FYI

Repeat this for the other door.

Next I moved onto the floor. I removed the plastics under the driver and passenger side.

I replaced the current module with the surround view module on the driver side top left corner.

Right next to the module along the firewall you will see a big black rubber grommet where the wires go through.

There is a few small pre-holes for repair wires. You'll have to puncture through so the bumper camera wires go through. After I routed the from bumper wires through i secured them with zip ties along the harness.

Also be sure to seal the firewall with sealant to prevent water or anything to go through later.

Same with passenger side. Locate the rubber grommet. Route passenger cable along inside harness.

I then removed the AC trim to route the wire through. This is where I used the pipe cleaners

Route and tuck under the black air vents. Then route it down the left side of the vent ( you will see a hole down to the driver floor mat)

Route all cables to the surround view module and secure the cables.

Once all assembled.

Coding is the last thing. VO Code 5DL

My camera

I then used ISTA to recalibrate the cameras. The front bumper worked but the mirrors did not. my TRSV didn't have the CAFD so that was next. After having to inject the CAFD folder I was able to get my mirror cameras calibrated. :thump:

Appreciate 7
G4Z80829.50
david51537.50
eleven11371.50
GOWRIN110.50
VipinLJ1941.50
SirMoo3.00
      09-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

You got balls of steel, great job/write up.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
You got balls of steel, great job/write up.
Haha thanks!! Wasn't the first and won't be the last I'm sure. It wasn't all that hard honestly. Hardest thing was the coding, since it was my first at it for anything. But with help I figured it out. Then moved onto FDL coding
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
kevinm03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp Santorini Blue

Great write-up! Where did you source the HSD cables?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm03 View Post
Great write-up! Where did you source the HSD cables?
I ordered them from tuner motor sport, I've seen people sell the cables on eBay. But when I was looking it was more expensive that way. It's easy to make the wires. But hard part is finding the end that goes to the camera. I've tried searching for it but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Nice write up!

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet

How much did all the parts set you back ?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Nice write up!
Just doing my part for the community ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Z808 View Post
How much did all the parts set you back ?
After selling a few parts to recuperate funds; so far I'm at 330 still have a few things to sell. Im fixing to put up some mirror cams.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
cjsansom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post

So Surround view thinks BMW's look like Mini-Van's from above??
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsansom View Post
So Surround view thinks BMW's look like Mini-Van's from above??
LOL they should have at least put the pano sunroof on the F31
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Thanks for posting.. i need to make the time to finish this project i bought all the stuff over a year ago
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #12
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
Thanks for posting.. i need to make the time to finish this project i bought all the stuff over a year ago
What's holding you back? Doesn't have to be all at once. I did the front bumper 1 day and mirrors and wiring another.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
Diljee
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 420d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Installation Date : 28 July 2017

First things first. Mad shout out to jkwhar for helping me with the finishing touches

I used Roxxor's and hrvojehk DIY for parts and references. Since the pics are gone I had to figure it out. My car already had front and rear PDC

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1130598

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=39

NOTE: Like any DIY project, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle as a result of attempting this retrofit. This information is simply posted as a reference to help others who may wish to do this project on their own.

Parts :
-Surround view control unit
-Surround view HSD
-Fillister head screw x 4 07149166316
-Center Console Switch 61319252913
-Bumper repair kit 51117324343
-Front bumper camera x2 66539240352
-Mirror camera housing (Left & Right)
-Mirror screws 51167284135
-Mirror cable x2 61129281712
-Custom FAKRA Cable x2

Tools: See other lists, don't recall every tool but i did use other items to help
- pipe cleaners
-cable ties
-OEM bumper cutting tool

I apologize i did not take pictures every step of the way. Doing it in the GA heat makes you want to hurry up
You can start on any side first (Passenger bumper, passenger door, driver bumper, driver door).

Remove front bumper.
I removed it and placed it on a padding to avoid scuffs. At this time I also installed the LED fog lights.

I used the OEM PDC cutting tool to make perfect holes :thump:. Installed the front bracket and camera.

I plugged the cable to the cameras and routed them upwards. I then reinstalled the front bumper.

Next moved onto the mirrors.
I removed the door panel and speaker trim.
I remove the T-30 bolts that holding the mirror and removed the mirror.

I brought the mirrors inside to disassemble and do some prep work.
I wrapped the HSD cables in OEM loom tape to make it as factory as possible (not required)

I removed the custom cable plastic connectors, you will not be needing them.

Once mirror is disassembled you'll need to bore out the circle hole. This is where the mirror cable goes through. I believe it was a 1/4 bit.

Start small and keep working u on bits and fitting it till it locks in *click*

Install the camera to the mirror camera housing and route cable. Reassemble mirror and install back on door.

Route the custom cable with the door harness. Ensure you keep track of the connections so it works. Route and wrap the cable along the harness.

Push the connector till it locks in

Be sure to plug in cable and test to ensure its plugged in correctly

Warning: Routing the cable through the door is a pain in the A. Also working on the inside of the car to the door slot. FYI. Re assemble door panels once you verify the connections are the same.

*The custom cable; I connected it to the mirror straight on. When it Comes to the inside to the door part you will have to rotate it and trim the corner down to the angle. FYI

Repeat this for the other door.

Next I moved onto the floor. I removed the plastics under the driver and passenger side.

I replaced the current module with the surround view module on the driver side top left corner.

Right next to the module along the firewall you will see a big black rubber grommet where the wires go through.

There is a few small pre-holes for repair wires. You'll have to puncture through so the bumper camera wires go through. After I routed the from bumper wires through i secured them with zip ties along the harness.

Also be sure to seal the firewall with sealant to prevent water or anything to go through later.

Same with passenger side. Locate the rubber grommet. Route passenger cable along inside harness.

I then removed the AC trim to route the wire through. This is where I used the pipe cleaners

Route and tuck under the black air vents. Then route it down the left side of the vent ( you will see a hole down to the driver floor mat)

Route all cables to the surround view module and secure the cables.

Once all assembled.

Coding is the last thing. VO Code 5DL

My camera

I then used ISTA to recalibrate the cameras. The front bumper worked but the mirrors did not. my TRSV didn't have the CAFD so that was next. After having to inject the CAFD folder I was able to get my mirror cameras calibrated. :thump:

Hi,

I have an issue with my rear camera install. I have the parking lanes and the obstacle identification which works, however, I get a rear camera failure error. After checking with Rheingold, it says the cable might be damaged. The problem is, the camera pinouts are the same as what roxxor quoted as this is an OEM cable which I bought from a scrap yard. I tested the continuity and all is fine. Basically all works fine except there is no image from the camera on the iDrive. I also noticed my i-Step file is not available when trying to inject the CAFD file to the TRSVC. How do I get the same CAFD file in the TRSVC list
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Hello
Thanks for the tutorial
Do you have the reference of the following 4 cables?
Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #15
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by david51 View Post
Hello
Thanks for the tutorial
Do you have the reference of the following 4 cables?
Thank you
What you see in that photo is for one side of the door to the TRSVC of HSD cables. The one that's close to the tape (61129281712) connects from the side mirror camera out into the car. The cable that has two silver ends, at the bottom of the photo (custom HSD cable from ebay), connects from that cable into the door jamb and then then last cables connects from the door jamb into the TRSVC. This cable is a set that comes with 5 HSD that connects all to the TRSVC.

Custom FAKRA Cable – Qty. 2 – $38 USD from eBay seller rfbat - This can be
ordered custom from several sellers on eBay. The exact terminology used for my order and for another forum member was “FAKRA HSD LVDS Straight Female to
FAKRA HSD LVDS Right Angle Female Dacar 535 4-Core 1M”, with a pin chart of “1-
4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1”

TRSVC HSD cable set - can't remember the part number or where I got mine from.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
david51537.50
      06-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
What you see in that photo is for one side of the door to the TRSVC of HSD cables. The one that's close to the tape (61129281712) connects from the side mirror camera out into the car. The cable that has two silver ends, at the bottom of the photo (custom HSD cable from ebay), connects from that cable into the door jamb and then then last cables connects from the door jamb into the TRSVC. This cable is a set that comes with 5 HSD that connects all to the TRSVC.

Custom FAKRA Cable – Qty. 2 – $38 USD from eBay seller rfbat - This can be
ordered custom from several sellers on eBay. The exact terminology used for my order and for another forum member was “FAKRA HSD LVDS Straight Female to
FAKRA HSD LVDS Right Angle Female Dacar 535 4-Core 1M”, with a pin chart of “1-
4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1”

TRSVC HSD cable set - can't remember the part number or where I got mine from.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #17
dushanrules
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport 2018 Car

hi jdr78569

Could you please explain me the process of connecting the centre console/operating unit? I have only rear PDC and Reverse Camera, so was wondering how wires should be connected.

Thanks, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #18
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushanrules View Post
hi jdr78569

Could you please explain me the process of connecting the centre console/operating unit? I have only rear PDC and Reverse Camera, so was wondering how wires should be connected.

Thanks, please let me know.
Not quite understanding the question. As far as my wiring went i looked at the wiring diagram and my car had the pins set for the other components so it was plug and play thankfully.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #19
dushanrules
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport 2018 Car

Smile Question on TRSVC module

Hi thanks for the response. Actually, I have the 2018 F30, so when I checked my vehicle ISTA Rheingold, it shows that I have the TRSVC module with following information:

Reverse camera: fitted
Bumper Camera: Not Fitted
Mirror Camera: Not fitted

Just wanted to know if this means that I already have the TRSVC operating unit or is it how Rheingold shows by default?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
svhout
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Hi there,

just finisht the installation and programming but stil have no view. Just a black screen with the buttons greyed out.
I think i need some more programming. Somebody who can solve the problem or give an excact description of what to programm?

EDIT: There was one setting which was not set correctly.
Now it's working

Up to the next project => Top view
Attached Images

Last edited by svhout; 02-23-2019 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #21
Claudio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 318d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhout View Post
Hi there,

just finisht the installation and programming but stil have no view. Just a black screen with the buttons greyed out.
I think i need some more programming. Somebody who can solve the problem or give an excact description of what to programm?

EDIT: There was one setting which was not set correctly.
Now it's working

Up to the next project => Top view

Hello,

i have installed sorround camera and after VO coding 5DL ( FEM_BODY, REM, TRSVC, HU_NBT) i have images from cameras but i don't have Gray buttons for rear camera, line parking and obstacle.
When i select Reverse gear HU show sorround camera.

Could you help me

Thanks!!!!

EDIT: Solved, it needed to add 3AG and 5DL on SALAPA ELEMENT!

Last edited by Claudio; 12-08-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:41 AM   #22
Winstar
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Hi all,
after replacing my bumper cameras I have one (right side) showing an upside down image.
Can someone explain how to fix that?

thanks
Appreciate 0