F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d xdrive Wet Grip Issues
Studio RSR

05-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive

330d xdrive Wet Grip Issues

Hi everyone,

We recently got a 330d xdrive after previously owning an Impreza WRX Hawkeye.

Overall we are happy with it but we experienced some wet grip issues yesterday. When exiting a couple of different roundabouts on the a34 Handforth bypass in Cheshire I put my foot down a bit and the back end wiggled.

This did shock us a bit as I thought the xdrive would have dealt with this quite easily before the loss of traction but it felt the same as my old e92 335i which obviously wasn't an xdrive. It's my partners daily drive and it has made her a bit worried about it as she hates any tail movement (as do I.)

We may have been spoilt by the Impreza as the back end never went out in that on the same roundabouts or any other time, but I'd expect a car that is worth 6 times as much with xdrive to be at least as capable as a 9 year old Impreza.

We have Bridgestone Potenza s001 tyres which I understand are pretty bad in the wet.

Has anyone else with an xdrive experienced this?

Would changing to non run flats make a lot of difference or would having acs springs fitted make a bigger difference by lowering the centre of gravity?

If changing the tyres would make the most difference, which tyres do you recommend?

I know a lot of people buy a BMW to have a bit of fun with the tail sliding out but we bought the xdrive to avoid that happening.

I look forward to your replies.

Many Thanks, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam0161 View Post
Hi everyone,

We recently got a 330d xdrive after previously owning an Impreza WRX Hawkeye.

Overall we are happy with it but we experienced some wet grip issues yesterday. When exiting a couple of different roundabouts on the a34 Handforth bypass in Cheshire I put my foot down a bit and the back end wiggled.

This did shock us a bit as I thought the xdrive would have dealt with this quite easily before the loss of traction but it felt the same as my old e92 335i which obviously wasn't an xdrive. It's my partners daily drive and it has made her a bit worried about it as she hates any tail movement (as do I.)

We may have been spoilt by the Impreza as the back end never went out in that on the same roundabouts or any other time, but I'd expect a car that is worth 6 times as much with xdrive to be at least as capable as a 9 year old Impreza.

We have Bridgestone Potenza s001 tyres which I understand are pretty bad in the wet.

Has anyone else with an xdrive experienced this?

Would changing to non run flats make a lot of difference or would having acs springs fitted make a bigger difference by lowering the centre of gravity?

If changing the tyres would make the most difference, which tyres do you recommend?

I know a lot of people buy a BMW to have a bit of fun with the tail sliding out but we bought the xdrive to avoid that happening.

I look forward to your replies.

Many Thanks, Adam
Subaru's AWD system is much better than BMW's xDrive. And you can't really compare a BMW to Subaru.

Subaru is made of plastic bits and rattles like crazy, it's build quality is quite cheap, for example during the winter, I was having some fun drifting in a parking lot and ended up in a snow bank, front end first.

I had no problems backing out and my front end had no scatches or damage at all.

My buddy in his STI did the same thing and his bumper was cracked and scratched.

I'm running Continental DWS and they are much better in the rain, gas mileage, and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Gotta love a bit of back end wiggle
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Chris93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Sounds normal to me, it always initially steps out at the rear and if you keep your foot planted you will then feel it distribute power to the front. The DSC will always kick in before you get into too much trouble but i still drive it like a rear wheel drive car in the wet and give it a bit of respect - very different to Audi and Subaru 4 wheel drive systems
      05-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Rear-biased X-Drive will have something to do with this, but I suspect it's largely due to the woeful wet grip of the Bridgestones. The rear diff is also open on the BMW and once traction has been exceeded the inside/slipping wheel will over-rotate quickly.

Coming from an Impreza, assuming you drove it like it was intended, there will be a) some adjustment required to your assessment of the BMW's capabilities, or b) some investment required to address the traction/roll/damping, or c) both.

As a first step I suggest you ditch the RFTs and replace them with some decent rubber. Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a strong following on the forum, as do Eagle F1s.

A Quaife LSD is very effective and changes wiggle (which can feel like sudden break-away) into fun
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

What mode were you in at the time Adam? - Comfort, Sport or Sport+ ?
      05-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Subaru's AWD system is much better than BMW's xDrive. And you can't really compare a BMW to Subaru.

Subaru is made of plastic bits and rattles like crazy, it's build quality is quite cheap, for example during the winter, I was having some fun drifting in a parking lot and ended up in a snow bank, front end first.

I had no problems backing out and my front end had no scatches or damage at all.

My buddy in his STI did the same thing and his bumper was cracked and scratched.

I'm running Continental DWS and they are much better in the rain, gas mileage, and comfort.
Hi there thanks for your reply.

Yes I know I shouldn't really compare it to the Subaru but it's quite hard not to.

You're right about the plastic finish to the Subaru, we looked at a new one and the rear diffuser felt like it was made of wobble board!

I wouldn't have thought the f30 could stand up to much impact though as most of the panels bend in very easily but I presume that's a safety thing, crumple zones and pedestrian safety etc!

I've not come across Continental DWS I'll look into those.

Many Thanks, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
MattRST
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

It's the tyres and temp
      05-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Rear-biased X-Drive will have something to do with this, but I suspect it's largely due to the woeful wet grip of the Bridgestones. The rear diff is also open on the BMW and once traction has been exceeded the inside/slipping wheel will over-rotate quickly.

Coming from an Impreza, assuming you drove it like it was intended, there will be a) some adjustment required to your assessment of the BMW's capabilities, or b) some investment required to address the traction/roll/damping, or c) both.

As a first step I suggest you ditch the RFTs and replace them with some decent rubber. Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a strong following on the forum, as do Eagle F1s.

A Quaife LSD is very effective and changes wiggle (which can feel like sudden break-away) into fun
Hi Watsey,

Yes I'm sure it must be mainly because of the tyres so hopefully changing them will sort the issue out to sone degree.

I think it was just a bit surprising as I didn't plant my foot down, I was in comfort mode and maybe went down 2/3 of the way down on the accelerator.

I will also look to get acs springs at some point too.

That LSD looks very good!

I had eagle f1's on the Impreza and they inspired a lot of confidence so may look to get those again. They have just released the asymmetric 3 but I'm not sure if they are available in the exact size for my 442's.

I've heard a lot of mention about the MPSS but a few reviews I read said their expertise was in dry grip rather than wet.

I'm reading good things about the Continental Sport 6, and I take it from the reviews that continentals are better in the wet than the Michellins?

Has anyone tried the Sport 6 yet?

Many Thanks, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
What mode were you in at the time Adam? - Comfort, Sport or Sport+ ?
Comfort mode 🙂
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris93 View Post
Sounds normal to me, it always initially steps out at the rear and if you keep your foot planted you will then feel it distribute power to the front. The DSC will always kick in before you get into too much trouble but i still drive it like a rear wheel drive car in the wet and give it a bit of respect - very different to Audi and Subaru 4 wheel drive systems
Hi Chris,

Maybe that was part of the problem as I didn't plant my foot, I went about 2/3's of the way down and I don't think the wiggle would have inspired me to floor it but maybe with the new tyres I will try that!

Many Thanks, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb
The bias of xdrive is to the rear Adam, so what you describe is not unusual. I suspect a change to something like the Goodyear F1s (non run flat) may help, but not eradicate the trait.
Also add in twice as much torque as the Scooby! I could always get the rear of my 335dX to step out easier than the Z4 as its the lump of torque which unsticks the tyres
Change the springs and tyres and it will help considerably.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Afraid I can't comment on the SportContact 6's, but I have the SportContact 5 run flats and I've never had 'a wiggle in the rain'.

My standard 330d Xdrive feels totally planted in the rain even if I give it a decent amount of beans. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely rear biased, but the sure footedness is why I bought the Xdrive.

I know others have said that they've felt the rear wiggle, but before you commit to new tyres, I'd have the suspension checked for anything working loose and them I'd have a 4 wheel alignment done.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Definitely the abysmal Bridgestones! Ditch them and get Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they are great in the wet! I've never even seen the traction control light in the wet with mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #15
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Also add in twice as much torque as the Scooby! I could always get the rear of my 335dX to step out easier than the Z4 as its the lump of torque which unsticks the tyres
Change the springs and tyres and it will help considerably.
Yes that is very true, and the tyres & suspension is definitely the way forward then!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab View Post
Afraid I can't comment on the SportContact 6's, but I have the SportContact 5 run flats and I've never had 'a wiggle in the rain'.

My standard 330d Xdrive feels totally planted in the rain even if I give it a decent amount of beans. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely rear biased, but the sure footedness is why I bought the Xdrive.

I know others have said that they've felt the rear wiggle, but before you commit to new tyres, I'd have the suspension checked for anything working loose and them I'd have a 4 wheel alignment done.

Good luck
That's very positive to hear, especially as yours are run flats too, so the non run flats should hopefully feel even better!

Do BMW do checks for free as its only 8 months old or do they charge if they check it over and find nothing?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Why is the Subaru's AWD better?! Isn't it the old fashioned mechanical 4wd, as opposed to the xdrive which is electronic and can switch power to different wheels in a fraction of a second?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Definitely the abysmal Bridgestones! Ditch them and get Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they are great in the wet! I've never even seen the traction control light in the wet with mine.
That's good to know, now I just need to choose between MPSS, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Continental Sport 6!

On another note, does anyone know what tyres sizes will comfortably fit on the 442's, I think they are 8j & 8.5j, I think they do Goodyear Ass. 3's in 245 35 19, would these fit ok?

Many Thanks, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam0161
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
That's good to know, now I just need to choose between MPSS, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Continental Sport 6!

On another note, does anyone know what tyres sizes will comfortably fit on the 442's, I think they are 8j & 8.5j, I think they do Goodyear Ass. 3's in 245 35 19, would these fit ok?

Many Thanks, Adam
I would stick with the standard sizes tbh.

And MPSS, although PS4 and sport contact 6's are newer tyres, they are both a rung below MPSS.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:

Why is the Subaru's AWD better?! Isn't it the old fashioned mechanical 4wd, as opposed to the xdrive which is electronic and can switch power to different wheels in a fraction of a second?
I'd agree, and I certainly wouldn't look at this one driving situation and come to any conclusions about the realtime merits of the drivetrains in isolation.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #21
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Quote:
That's very positive to hear, especially as yours are run flats too, so the non run flats should hopefully feel even better!

Do BMW do checks for free as its only 8 months old or do they charge if they check it over and find nothing?

You mentioned that you've only just got the 330d. If it was a BMW AUC I would definitely ask them to check it over for you free of charge. If it wasn't, I'd be tempted to go straight to an expert alignment shop, although it will cost you.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab
Quote:

You mentioned that you've only just got the 330d. If it was a BMW AUC I would definitely ask them to check it over for you free of charge. If it wasn't, I'd be tempted to go straight to an expert alignment shop, although it will cost you.
And check the tyre tread depths!
Appreciate 0