F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BIMMERPOST Tests BMW 340i with M Performance Parts at COTA
Studio RSR

09-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #45
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Nice review... I'm a few weeks away from picking up my '18 340i at the Performance Center... first upgrade will be the MPPSK, followed by some of the alcantera interior bits and a nice set of non-RFTs.

I think the 340 vs M3 comparison is a tough one... with upgrades to the 340 the cost might approach the M3, no question about it, but they are two different cars. I'd rather save the money and keep my 340 in pristine condition throughout its life than be strapped just to have an M car. Anyway, that's just how I see it, everyone likes what they like. Of course the long term goal is always an ///M !!!
      09-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #46
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker3 View Post
Nice review... I'm a few weeks away from picking up my '18 340i at the Performance Center... first upgrade will be the MPPSK, followed by some of the alcantera interior bits and a nice set of non-RFTs.

I think the 340 vs M3 comparison is a tough one... with upgrades to the 340 the cost might approach the M3, no question about it, but they are two different cars. I'd rather save the money and keep my 340 in pristine condition throughout its life than be strapped just to have an M car. Anyway, that's just how I see it, everyone likes what they like. Of course the long term goal is always an ///M !!!
The debate will never end. If I live in a state like say, Florida, with smooth roads and 12 months of summer, then I'd seriously consider the M3 over a fully optioned 340i. Living in western Canada, with 6 months of winter, and roads that are sometimes quite bumpy, the 340i with MPPSK is definitely the better daily driver. Adding the fact that insurance cost on the M3 is about 30% more, then the 340i is a no brainer. These 2 cars were not meant to compete with each other, so we on these forums should desist from criticize each other for getting one over the other. As I've said, the M3 is a track weapon, but it's not as comfortable to live with as the 340i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #47
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Rather than spending $55-$60k on a 340i and then throwing a ton of money into M Performance Parts, I'd just go ahead and buy an M.
Exactly, makes absolutely no sense.
It makes sense to some. Buyers wanting all wheel drive and/or active cruise control come to mind. Then there are those whom just want something more personalized and unique than an off-the-shelf M.
Totally agree with you. As a daily there is no comparison. The M cars are super harsh on the streets. No question they are a better car but I would also never buy one for a daily.

I'd also rather own an awesome version of a lesser car than the most basic version of a better car.

A nicely optioned m3 is 30,000 more than a nice 340i in Canada.
My F80 is just as comfortable as a daily as my 340i M Sport. The difference being that I don't have some options on the M3 that I did on the 340i. It doesn't effect my daily driving experience however, except that I get to sit in a way more aggressive looking and faster car everyday I drive it.
"Just as comfortable as a daily"

You're delusional my friend. Keep justifying your purchase.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #48
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
I currently drive a 2017 ZCP, haven't updated my info. Thanks for the reminder sport.
Wasn't the V8 M3 available when you chose a 335is a $60K+ E92? IIRC my 2011 was $62K & change.

Point is there are any number of reasons to chose one over the other depending on what you are looking for in a car.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #49
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quality not tried that yet.

Bloody love that it's coded out though
Found that by accident on a Costco run.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
moff1364.00
      09-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #50
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rather than spending $55-$60k on a 340i and then throwing a ton of money into M Performance Parts, I'd just go ahead and buy an M.
It makes sense to some. Buyers wanting all wheel drive and/or active cruise control come to mind. Then there are those whom just want something more personalized and unique than an off-the-shelf M.
Totally agree with you. As a daily there is no comparison. The M cars are super harsh on the streets. No question they are a better car but I would also never buy one for a daily.

I'd also rather own an awesome version of a lesser car than the most basic version of a better car.

My F80 is just as comfortable as a daily as my 340i M Sport. The difference being that I don't have some options on the M3 that I did on the 340i. It doesn't effect my daily driving experience however, except that I get to sit in a way more aggressive looking and faster car everyday I drive it.

I don't have to justify it. I've owned both.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #51
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
Exactly. M cars are track weapons, but terrible daily driver, especially for people who have to deal with winter conditions every year
Incorrect. M cars are not even track weapons. They cope better on track but are still pigs in sheeps clothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #52
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You sound like one of the classic M guys. Thinking that everyone who didn't buy one wanted one so bad but couldn't fork over the cash. That's very often not the case.

Most of the guys I'm talking about who justify it are the guys rolling around in the Canada for 8 months in winter in their f80s. And they say they are great for daily.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #53
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
jmg's owned both so I think he's in a good position to ascertain for himself.

I think comfort is relative. I've been happy to daily several 'track weapon' cars that others have speculated are too harsh for daily driving. Modern adaptive suspensions are so good at doing both so there isn't much compromise.

Yes, I think the 340i has a better ride/handling balance for the street. But I would be happy to drive an F80 M3 competition with the M Performance coilovers as my daily. It rides firmer, the Michelin Cup tires feel harder and more road surface intrusions will make their way into the cabin, but it's never what I would consider harsh. I think gone are the days of truly overbearing track-biased cars. The last one I remember is the Lotus Exige. The Exige was quite raw to the point where I might not daily one.

The M3, no problem. But that's just me, and I understand that different people have different expectations for comfort and smoothness.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You sound like one of the classic M guys. Thinking that everyone who didn't buy one wanted one so bad but couldn't fork over the cash. That's very often not the case.

Most of the guys I'm talking about who justify it are the guys rolling around in the Canada for 8 months in winter in their f80s. And they say they are great for daily.
Read my posts again. I loved my 340i and it's a great car. The cabin is quieter and more options can be had for less. Noise doesn't bother me so I don't consider it a detriment to comfortable driving. Others might. There are plenty of reasons to get a 340i over an M3. Daily driving comfort isn't one of them.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #55
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Read my posts again. I loved my 340i and it's a great car. The cabin is quieter and more options can be had for less. Noise doesn't bother me so I don't consider it a detriment to comfortable driving. Others might. There are plenty of reasons to get a 340i over an M3. Daily driving comfort isn't one of them.
I can agree to that.

I guess for me I would love a 340 for 8 months and an m3 for 4 months where I live.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #56
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Why do people assume that everyone wants an M? I didn't want one when I bought my 340i
Because they are better

Just kidding. We have both. M4 for me and 340 for the wife.
Appreciate 1
jmg18837.50
      09-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #57
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I gotta say I dont own them all but I've driven them all and yes the Ms are better planted but I like being able to break the rear loose on the 340i .. its fun
The M2 is fairly easy to break the rear loose as well
Still no regrets on the 340i as a daily driver esp after finally putting a tune on it.. its more than enough on the streets, luxurious and sporty, is able to track well, and can save $$$ on fuel when I'm feeling less frisky and decide to go econo.. it plays so many parts and all so well..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #58
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Is this the same car?

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #59
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

I've noticed a few people here mention an M3 is 'only x amount of dollars' more than a fully loaded 340i. Yes that's true if you are buying outright but I lease (I like to change out cars every year or two) and at least here in Canada the numbers on leases (interest rates etc) for M cars are terrible. As good as an M3 is would I want to double my monthly payment for one...nope.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #60
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
I've noticed a few people here mention an M3 is 'only x amount of dollars' more than a fully loaded 340i. Yes that's true if you are buying outright but I lease (I like to change out cars every year or two) and at least here in Canada the numbers on leases (interest rates etc) for M cars are terrible. As good as an M3 is would I want to double my monthly payment for one...nope.
You are very correct. I'm also in Canada. Last month, I leased a 2017 340i Xdrive with premium essential, MPPSK and apple car play for just over $700 a month for 24 months and 20,000KMS per year. If u look at a lease on a '17 M3 with nothing but the double clutch and premium package (no executive package, no competition package etc) over the same 2 yrs and 20,000 KMS, the monthly is more than double. I can afford the M3 payment, but I just don't think it was worth it, plus the M3 is not a daily between November and April and the monthly insurance is about 30% more.
The point is, the M3 is superior in terms of performance, but most comparisons with the 340i are misplaced at best. Different cars, with different objective for different buyers. Not everybody that buys a 340i wish they could get a M3 instead
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #61
320if30
E36M3 2/5 garage queen X3 3.0si
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I M SPort

So, this will fit on a 2013 328i M sport RWD Sport AT
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #62
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
the 340i gets M mirrors before the m2 does.
Because their bolt on for the 3 series...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #63
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 340i with Xdrive and power and sound kit. Whilst it is certainly not an M, I think it's the perfect car for people who's looking for a daily driver with just an occasional day or two at the track. I thought about getting the M2, but with the long winters we have here in Canada, the 340i was just the practical solution. I traded in my C450 for it and love it
Agreed. And Ive owned both now. M3is incredible, but just not as good at the DD game as the 340
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #64
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

No wonder the car had no grip, look at those shotty tires

Way to "showcase" the potential, BMW...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #65
g20jprad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Totally.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #66
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

It's a limited slip and 35 hp with a bunch of useless carbon and decals. Did they really think they'd feel a huge difference from a ppsk and a diff? Put some coils, JB4, WMI, intake, downpipes and some wider rubber. Then tell me it can't hang with an M Car.

Carbon mirrors ain't gonna do it Bub