F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Steering wheel theft
proTUNING Freaks

03-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #23
steffe
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 20D M Sport, Z4 3.0si

There is a theory that the thieves have electronic device that amplifies the key signal so that the car thinks the key are near by and then the alarm will not go off. This happens when cars are parked close to your house and the car key is kept close to the car but inside the house.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffe View Post
There is a theory that the thieves have electronic device that amplifies the key signal so that the car thinks the key are near by and then the alarm will not go off. This happens when cars are parked close to your house and the car key is kept close to the car but inside the house.
That is a possibility with CA, where there is a constantly broadcasted signal. With standard access it is not, as there's only a signal when you push the button on the fob.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #25
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Ha! Sorry, I just laughed out loud! Google gun laws in Sweden. Terribly restrictive regulations, unfortunately.
Yeah! Just shoot a human for stealing a steering wheel!!?!?

What's wrong with you people?!?!!?

And you wonder why the rest of the world takes the piss out of the US.

I for one am glad gun laws are so "restricted".

FFS.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #26
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Who's joking? If I found an intruder in my house I would shoot first and ask questions later. If I found an intruder in my car I'd hold him at gunpoint until the cops arrived, only because if he was in the car I wouldn't be as concerned about him being able to reach me before I could put him down. If I lived in a country like Sweden, where thieves aren't likely to be armed, I might have a different attitude. But in the US one must assume that a thief is armed and act accordingly.
And this is exactly one of the reasons why I declined a really great job in the US....

The flippancy is just astonishing for "us Europeans".

Anyway....shocked to hear they stole your wheel. Glad you got it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #27
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
And this is exactly one of the reasons why I declined a really great job in the US....

The flippancy is just astonishing for "us Europeans".

Anyway....shocked to hear they stole your wheel. Glad you got it replaced.
I'm sorry but before we go too deep ... : "guns don't kill people"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #28
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Who's joking? If I found an intruder in my house I would shoot first and ask questions later. If I found an intruder in my car I'd hold him at gunpoint until the cops arrived, only because if he was in the car I wouldn't be as concerned about him being able to reach me before I could put him down. If I lived in a country like Sweden, where thieves aren't likely to be armed, I might have a different attitude. But in the US one must assume that a thief is armed and act accordingly.
LMAO... I rest my case. The reason you feel like this is because Americans pretty much own too many guns to the point that you have to assume every other person is armed and now have no choice but to arm yourself. Can't you see the irony of that? Guns don't make your country safer, it just creates more fucked up situations, I don't think anybody needs to remind the USA it has a gun problem that they won't acknowledge because the NRA is bunch of wackos with money.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #29
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster View Post
LMAO... I rest my case. The reason you feel like this is because Americans pretty much own too many guns to the point that you have to assume every other person is armed and now have no choice but to arm yourself. Can't you see the irony of that? Guns don't make your country safer, it just creates more fucked up situations, I don't think anybody needs to remind the USA it has a gun problem that they won't acknowledge because the NRA is bunch of wackos with money.
I agree. But I don't have the power to force the Supreme Court to enforce the 2nd Amendment as it is actually written.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #30
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
I agree. But I don't have the power to force the Supreme Court to enforce the 2nd Amendment as it is actually written.
Its not even the 2nd amendment thats the problem its the NRA and the culture that has been created IMO. The 2nd amendment's purpose was well intended, its just that its been twisted to the point of no return.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #31
bimmer79
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
I've been looking for the thicker F20 M-sport steering wheel, that is only available in Europe, for my F30. It's not on Ebay yet.

In the US West Coast, they take your audio equipment and rims. Has not happened to my BMW yet, but my previous car had $5000 worth of audio equipment stolen within 1 hour of being at the gym. Thoughts ran thru my mine about camping on top of the roof with a sniper rifle.
Man that sucks, reason why i try to make my cars audio upgrades look as oem as possible and aftermarket alarm system. Oem alarms suck and not going to stop anyone from stealing parts from your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #32
steffe
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Keyless: Easy prey for car thieves (in German)

For you who can't read german (google translate)

"In tests, our experts were able to open cars with comfort locking system by means of a self-built wireless extension within seconds and go away. This left no visible burglar or tracks."

"With keyless locking systems of the car owners must bear the key only to himself. he approaches his car, opens the door via radio, without the need a keystroke. Our testers have over 20 models from different manufacturers tested and found: With keyless systems equipped cars are significantly more prone to theft than vehicles with normal remote control key. The experts needed for only a homemade radio renewal. This allowed them to open all the test car."

"Easy game for thieves
The obvious vulnerability in the comfort key facilitates thieves their craft immensely: The radio connection between keys and car can easily be extended over several hundred meters. Regardless of whether the original key is, for example, at home or in the pocket of the owner. Also immobilizer and alarm system to be overcome in this way. The necessary for the theft devices can be produced with little effort from commercial electronic components."

"Even without a key, the engine does not go out

Is the car stolen, it runs without a key as long as fuel is in the tank, or until the engine stalls or off. Even refueling with the engine running is possible. Usually, the thieves go their prey immediately abroad and finished there new key, so that the cars are as usual to open and start."

"Owners of cars with keyless locking systems should exercise increased vigilance in the storage of the key. The automakers have a duty, the entire vehicle electronics as systematic hedge, as has long been standard in other IT areas. For affected vehicles should also give as quick action by appropriate retrofits."

ADAC
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #33
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The next big accessory will be the radio wave blocking key storage box.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #34
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
The next big accessory will be the radio wave blocking key storage box.
Any metallic box or Aluminium foil lined pouch will do. But I guess wrapping your key up in such a pouch every time you put it away (or in your pocket) defeats the purpose of "comfort" in access.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #35
steffe
Sweden
Rep

Maybe this is an effective protection, Fog Cannon !?
http://www.protectglobal.se/media/1057556/foqus_eng.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #36
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Quote:
Maybe this is an effective protection, Fog Cannon !?
http://www.protectglobal.se/media/1057556/foqus_eng.pdf
Magnificent lol.