F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 LED turnsignals installed
MINHS Auto Care Center

01-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #199
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgutie328i
why cant they make an led that is white when its on and blinks amber when turning.... They can make Borg eye ware but cant make a cool light!!!! Fix this problem mighty INTERNET! cause in texas i believe u have to have amber lens or amber bulb
They do have this. They're called switchback LEDs. Pretty sure they aren't compatible with our cars without some kind of coding or wiring of resistors.

I just got around to swapping in some 7507 PY21W chrome halogens. Obviously can't compare to LEDs as far as brightness but they serve the purpose (getting rid of amber, signals and error free).

What's alarming is the amount of snow residue and salt located on the headlight internals behind the cover in the wheel well (nasty winter in NYC thus far). Anyone have any idea how to clean this area out before things start to corrode?
2013 EB2 F30 335i M-Sport 6MT / M Performance Front Lip / M Performance Shift Knob w. Alcantara Boot / EB2 Matched Side Markers / EB2 Matched Keyhole Cover / CF Wrapped Rear Spoiler / CF Wrapped Mirror Caps / Matte Black Grill / Mirrorred Signal Bulbs / H&R Sport Springs w. Bilstein B8 Suspension / Vintage Gold Dipped Niche Verona's 19x8.5 F and 19x9.5 R ET+35 Wrapped in Conti DWS
Infamouz627 is offline   United_States
      01-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #200
zeezz
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30EDR View Post
No error?
No issues so far, you do need to code off the warm/cold checks and set the LED flag through system coding. I've run LEDs on the rear turn signals for over a year with no issues.
      02-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #201
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
They do have this. They're called switchback LEDs. Pretty sure they aren't compatible with our cars without some kind of coding or wiring of resistors.
Switchback bulbs are double filament, which means they would require modification to the housing, electrical rewiring, and re-coding of the ECM to function. They wouldn't need resistors as long as the replacement LED's were CANBUS, and ran stock watts.
v1k1ng01 is offline   United_States
      02-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #202
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01
Quote:
Switchback bulbs are double filament, which means they would require modification to the housing, electrical rewiring, and re-coding of the ECM to function. They wouldn't need resistors as long as the replacement LED's were CANBUS, and ran stock watts.
I can understand the coding and perhaps rewiring but why would the housing need to be modified?

While we're on the topic, any suggestions on my concern about salt in the headlight area? It also baffles me how easily salt and other road grime can get under that panel. What's preventing moisture from getting under there as well and causing condensation in the housing?
2013 EB2 F30 335i M-Sport 6MT / M Performance Front Lip / M Performance Shift Knob w. Alcantara Boot / EB2 Matched Side Markers / EB2 Matched Keyhole Cover / CF Wrapped Rear Spoiler / CF Wrapped Mirror Caps / Matte Black Grill / Mirrorred Signal Bulbs / H&R Sport Springs w. Bilstein B8 Suspension / Vintage Gold Dipped Niche Verona's 19x8.5 F and 19x9.5 R ET+35 Wrapped in Conti DWS
Infamouz627 is offline   United_States
      02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #203
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport

Garage List
Quote:
I can understand the coding and perhaps rewiring but why would the housing need to be modified?

While we're on the topic, any suggestions on my concern about salt in the headlight area? It also baffles me how easily salt and other road grime can get under that panel. What's preventing moisture from getting under there as well and causing condensation in the housing?
Switch backs are double filiment bulbs which require 2 channels to operate, the standard fitment in the socket of F30 is PY21W which is for a single filiment and a single channel.

I do beleve there is a plastic seal on the socket that prevents the elements from interfearing with the eletronics in the headlamp unit.
v1k1ng01 is offline   United_States
      02-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #204
kitster
First Lieutenant

Drives: F31 320d M Sport

Anyone tried these Philips X-treme Vision PY21W LED Retrofit, I've seen some videos and they seem to be bright enough during the day/night.

kitster is offline   United Kingdom
      02-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #205
bmw_fascinated
Enlisted Member

Drives: X3

I found those bulbs on ebay several weeks ago, but the high pricing restrained me from buying them. In post http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=191 is another video.
Would be great if someone could test them.
      04-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #206
bmw_fascinated
Enlisted Member

PowerBulbs.com lowered the price and by writing them an email I got additional 10% off
      05-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #207
mckmcr

Drives: BMW 320d Touring msport

Yes the ones with chrome bit look nice and might be the right choice

CREE LEDs are expensive and stronger but I dont really see the point in them as for indicators standard (cheaper LEDs) are enough

PW24W is a tricky one - it fits DRLs for the F30 series but the socket is different than on E90 PW24W (which isn't even DRL for them) - confusing...
      05-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #208
c3r2z8f30i
Private

Drives: 328i Mineral Grey Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster
Anyone tried these Philips X-treme Vision PY21W LED Retrofit, I've seen some videos and they seem to be bright enough during the day/night.

Has any installed this?
      06-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #209
bmw_fascinated
Enlisted Member

I haven't tested them in a BMW rear light, but these Philips LEDs are very bright and produce a good beam pattern.
I also got a pair of the red P21W LEDs. In direct comparison they appear slightly dimmer than the amber ones, but installed as stop light they perfectly match the reflector and are brighter than a 1156 bulb.