F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Very Annoyed... and CA is no help!!! Tempted to cancel...
ARMA SPEED

11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
It's great if BMW knows it's market but when I see 87 328's in inventory & 3 335's in inventory, I just shake my head?? Sorry but I think BMW has it wrong about 335's but WTF do I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
Isn't that because they are slowly but surely phasing out the N55 for the new N55/N56 or N55 High-Output?
Quote:
I have no idea but why bother even putting a 335i on your website if you'renot going to produce or support it?? If BMW is moving on then so should we...
Supposedly, the reason the 335 is so supply-constrained in the US is intentional--BMW has to meet increasingly strict US fleet fuel-economy standards (CAFE) so they are intentionally allocating few 335s as compared to 328s.

It's frustrating for those of us looking for 335s, but it's actually a fairly smart reaction to a bad law. The 328 has a strong engine by most people's standards, and most people who head to a dealership intent on looking at a 335 will test drive a 328 and be impressed with its power. For the relatively few enthusiasts willing to put in the effort to find a 335, if they search far and wide or are willing to wait for a precious allocation, they will eventually be able to find one. Everyone else will just get a 328.

Supporting this rumor is that I don't believe 335s are in particularly short supply in markets outside of the USA, although in many high cost-of-fuel locations the smaller engine / diesel models will naturally be much more popular.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
Supposedly, the reason the 335 is so supply-constrained in the US is intentional--BMW has to meet increasingly strict US fleet fuel-economy standards (CAFE) so they are intentionally allocating few 335s as compared to 328s.

It's frustrating for those of us looking for 335s, but it's actually a fairly smart reaction to a bad law. The 328 has a strong engine by most people's standards, and most people who head to a dealership intent on looking at a 335 will test drive a 328 and be impressed with its power. For the relatively few enthusiasts willing to put in the effort to find a 335, if they search far and wide or are willing to wait for a precious allocation, they will eventually be able to find one. Everyone else will just get a 328.

Supporting this rumor is that I don't believe 335s are in particularly short supply in markets outside of the USA, although in many high cost-of-fuel locations the smaller engine / diesel models will naturally be much more popular.
Wow..Is the only word that comes to mind. Let's just drive consumers to other brands is the message??? I am speechless. Maybe I should be looking elsewhere???
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow..Is the only word that comes to mind. Let's just drive consumers to other brands is the message??? I am speechless. Maybe I should be looking elsewhere???
To be fair, it's not BMW's fault, it's the bad CAFE law. Other premium brands also struggle with balancing their more fuel-efficient cars with their higher performance and less fuel efficient cars, although most (like Audi) have mainstream high-volume brands (i.e. Volkswagen) which allow them to average out fuel economy requirements more easily. BMW tries to do the same thing with their Mini brand, but they are obviously still at a disadvantage.

BMW could have chosen another path--they could have instead made the 335i much more expensive than it currently is. That would have had the same effect, dampened demand for the 335i relative to the 328. Instead, they kept the price difference reasonable, but intentionally constrained supply. That way those of us who really care about getting a 335 can still get one at a reasonable price, assuming we're willing to put in some work.

Given the constraints of the CAFE law, I prefer their current tactic than the alternative, don't you?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post

How do you explain then BMW's commitment to the 550i, M3, M5, 640i & other V8 cars available?? Is it, if you're willing to spend $65,000 to $100,000 plus then we'll support it but if you only want to spend $40,000-$50,000 then we won't support it. This is a conflicted decision.

I spend lots of time in Europe & understand their dilemma with small cars, high gas prices so maybe this is just a wake up call for America.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you explain then BMW's commitment to the 550i, M3, M5, 640i & other V8 cars available?? Is it, if you're willing to spend $65,000 to $100,000 plus then we'll support it but if you only want to spend $40,000-$50,000 then we won't support it. This is a conflicted decision.

I spend lots of time in Europe & understand their dilemma with small cars, high gas prices so maybe this is just a wake up call for America.
I'm honestly not sure. My guess is that the really expensive cars are so low-volume that they can pull it off and still meet their targets. The CAFE law requires that a manufacturer's AVERAGE fuel economy exceed a certain target. BMW sells far more 3-series cars than any other line, which helps them average out to a number that meets the requirement.

Keep in mind, today's requirements are not that stringent. The CAFE requirements are set to escalate DRAMATICALLY over the next 10 years. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. It could be that for the next several years we'll have to set aside the notion of automatically getting more horsepower with each new generation.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

328i models probably outsell the combined numbers of 550i/M3/M5/650i/etc models 10:1.

I don't think it has to do with CAFE numbers. In fact, the EPA has the same city/hwy rating for both the 328i as the 335i.

I think there is more margin in the 328i for BMW. And, I think lowering the point of entry by ~$4000 on 85% of their volume cars helps them in the "numbers" game for people cross shopping Audis and MB cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
OP,

I just re-read your entire thread to try and get a better understanding on where you are @ with your order. So I think I've sort of figured it out. A German Built/Build 335i is rare in the bay area from what I understand. I think what happened is that your CA meant to say that although you ordered your car on August 26, the car doesn't begin production until October of some time. From there its about 8 weeks to completion. How did I come up w/ this? When I did my order, I checked everywhere and re-checked what was available through allocations and I noticed that German Builds were slow and spread widely. If I were to have ordered a German Built car I wouldn't have received the car until mid-Jan despite that they ship faster than SA builds or @least this is what I've been told.

I honestly don't know of a solution. I read what kind of 335i you want and yeah there probably won't be one on the lot. I would guess recommend you checking out other dealerships/CAs to see if you can cancel your order from where you got yours from and have the new CA steal that order since its in production. I think this can be done w/ Subarus, not sure on BMWs. Again, if you decide to do this, contact my guy @ Mountain View - Name is Mike Borbet.

Keep me posted on whats happening. I feel bad for you man. I would be pissed too.
So basically all I know at this point is that Production is completed and still at factory. I'm heading to LA tomorrow, so I'll contact my dealer again next week and see if they have done anything and how things are, if it doesn't go will I will contact your guy at Mountain View and have a talk with him.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #30
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
328i models probably outsell the combined numbers of 550i/M3/M5/650i/etc models 10:1.
Agreed.

Quote:
I don't think it has to do with CAFE numbers. In fact, the EPA has the same city/hwy rating for both the 328i as the 335i.
I was surprised by this so I double-checked, and you're right the auto 335i and 328 have the same combined mpg, amazingly. However, the MT 335 and the x-drive 335 have inferior ratings, although not dramatically so. The x-drive is apparently very popular in the northern climates and probably makes up a significant chunk of total US volume. The two combined may be just enough to tilt the balance such that BMW feels they need to restrict 335i volume?

Quote:
I think there is more margin in the 328i for BMW. And, I think lowering the point of entry by ~$4000 on 85% of their volume cars helps them in the "numbers" game for people cross shopping Audis and MB cars.

This could definitely play a part as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #31
CheeseJaguar
Rep
Drives: 2003 Camry LE

Quote:
Sucks to hear OP. Ask the 1800# what is your status, meaning #. Like status 193/195 or something.
Am I interpreting this wrong? When I call the 800 number I get "Car has arrived at port and is awaiting shipment", but no number or anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #32
DigitalMPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C xDrive

^^^ a code will not be provided unless you speak with a rep but that status is still as much as BMWNA is going to be able to provide. Your CA has more exact information if it is available.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #33
CheeseJaguar
Rep
Drives: 2003 Camry LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMPower View Post
^^^ a code will not be provided unless you speak with a rep but that status is still as much as BMWNA is going to be able to provide. Your CA has more exact information if it is available.
Thanks, I'm a bit wary. My CA is guessing I will have delivery first week of January but could still lock in the holiday discount if it arrived then. From what I've seen on this forum that isn't the case, and I'm wondering if I'm being lied to, in order to ensure I don't back out of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #34
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep
Drives: (S)LOW.

Quote:
I am playing both sides of the fence. I have an order which who knows when it arrives but I am also having others looking for something similar to my build. Which ever happens first is the winner..I just want my car.
What is your build?
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Current: `23 Chalk G80 M3CX | Ordered: '24 M3CS - Week37 build.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #35
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is your build?
335i EB ll
Tech Pkg
Dynamic Handling
Harman Kardon
Black Dakota Leather
18" Summer Performance Tires
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #36
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep
Drives: (S)LOW.

Ah, a EB II with dynamic handling, HK and no sport auto? Tough Find.
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Current: `23 Chalk G80 M3CX | Ordered: '24 M3CS - Week37 build.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #37
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
Fremont on automall.
That place sucks!! How come u didn't get the production# right after u place the order?? I got mine at same day I ordered! Ur CA might forgot to key in your order til Oct.
      11-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #38
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:
+1
      11-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #39
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
That place sucks!! How come u didn't get the production# right after u place the order?? I got mine at same day I ordered! Ur CA might forgot to key in your order til Oct.
I have no clue why didn't when I placed the order, he told me when they get a production number he would give me. I emailed him few times in September, he replied still haven't got it. Then I emailed first week of october and he responded back with it. HORRIBLE.... I didnt get the vin until a week ago when I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseJaguar View Post
Thanks, I'm a bit wary. My CA is guessing I will have delivery first week of January but could still lock in the holiday discount if it arrived then. From what I've seen on this forum that isn't the case, and I'm wondering if I'm being lied to, in order to ensure I don't back out of the deal.
Im worried about the same thing. CA telling me the same thing when I asked him what if it takes until January for me to get the car. If it does and he tells me than that I can't I'm taking back my deposit and going somewhere else.

I DONT RECOMMEND AUTOMALL BMW TO ANYONE IN THE BAY AREA STAY AWAY. I LEARNED MY LESSON! Manager was no help when I called today.

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #40
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
I have no clue why didn't when I placed the order, he told me when they get a production number he would give me. I emailed him few times in September, he replied still haven't got it. Then I emailed first week of october and he responded back with it. HORRIBLE.... I didnt get the vin until a week ago when I asked.
As I mentioned earlier, you didn't get a production number or a VIN because the dealer had no allocation for you. Your order sat in a pile for a month.

I was concerned my dealer may have done the same thing for me (I specifically ordered from them because they said they had allocation) but they came back with the production # a few days later.

If you had specifically asked if they had allocation and they said yes, then you probably have a pretty good case for telling them to screw. But if you just ordered and they never mentioned when your order would get an allocation than it's probably just part of the learning experience.

Ultimately it's your call, if the car says it's done then you do just have to wait for a ship bound for the west coast.
      11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #41
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
As I mentioned earlier, you didn't get a production number or a VIN because the dealer had no allocation for you. Your order sat in a pile for a month.

I was concerned my dealer may have done the same thing for me (I specifically ordered from them because they said they had allocation) but they came back with the production # a few days later.

If you had specifically asked if they had allocation and they said yes, then you probably have a pretty good case for telling them to screw. But if you just ordered and they never mentioned when your order would get an allocation than it's probably just part of the learning experience.

Ultimately it's your call, if the car says it's done then you do just have to wait for a ship bound for the west coast.
First time ordering never knew anything about allocations, so I took there world for it. I didn't join this forum until after I order. Wish I would of joined earlier.

Yes the car is done, but its not even at port, apparently it's still at the factory waiting for release to carrier to the port, couple days short of a month now. Dealers not trying to do anything to help me find out why.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

The salesperson I worked with for ED at Fremont BMW, Cathe Ganly, was upfront and professional. After placing my 328i order for ED I got a production number within a few days. Sorry your experience has been bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #43
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

Quote:
First time ordering never knew anything about allocations, so I took there world for it. I didn't join this forum until after I order. Wish I would of joined earlier.

Yes the car is done, but its not even at port, apparently it's still at the factory waiting for release to carrier to the port, couple days short of a month now. Dealers not trying to do anything to help me find out why.
Yep me too... is it a coincidence that both our stalled orders are to the Bay area (different dealerships)? I think maybe not...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #44
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikneo
Quote:

Yep me too... is it a coincidence that both our stalled orders are to the Bay area (different dealerships)? I think maybe not...
Where did you order from? What's your current status?
Appreciate 0