F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan Stage 1 & Stage 2 install
Studio RSR

08-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i MPPK

Dinan Stage 1 & Stage 2 install

Hey guys! I got two questions around Stage 1 and 2 with MPPK.

1. Has anyone installed Stage 1 or Stage 2 in Houston, TX? What was your out the door cost?

2. Dinan site is confusing me. See the attached screecapture. The site says the BMW factory torque measured is 365 and peak torque for Stage 1 is 417. So that is a gain of 417-365 = 52. The why does it say the max torque gain is 75! . Surely this isn't from base level (with no mppk), that would be misleading.

Couldn't upload the image. Here is the link, go to the specs tab

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1205/
Attached Images

Last edited by LUV335; 08-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Noimage
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV335 View Post
Hey guys! I got two questions around Stage 1 and 2 with MPPK.

1. Has anyone installed Stage 1 or Stage 2 in Houston, TX? What was your out the door cost?

2. Dinan site is confusing me. See the attached screecapture. The site says the BMW factory torque measured is 365 and peak torque for Stage 1 is 417. So that is a gain of 417-365 = 52. The why does it say the max torque gain is 75! . Surely this isn't from base level (with no mppk), that would be misleading.

Couldn't upload the image. Here is the link, go to the specs tab

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1205/
On that product page, click on the pictures/videos tab and you have some performance charts that make it a bit more clear to visualize.

Ultimately Peak Power and Max gains very different as they happen at different RPM.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks is much clear now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
On that product page, click on the pictures/videos tab and you have some performance charts that make it a bit more clear to visualize.

Ultimately Peak Power and Max gains very different as they happen at different RPM.
Thanks this clears up the confusion. As a follow up do you think an average HP and torque gain (for the whole curve) will better represent what a driver will 'feel' instead of max gains which are calculated at only one RPM? Just need help deciding between Stage 1 and Stage 2. Not interested in drag times, that's not how I will be driving my car regularly, I want a tune that 'feels' powerful overall.

Also, Stage 2 plots show that they include the Dinan exhaust. Does the exhaust add power and TRQ? If so by how much? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks this clears up the confusion. As a follow up do you think an average HP and torque gain (for the whole curve) will better represent what a driver will 'feel' instead of max gains which are calculated at only one RPM? Just need help deciding between Stage 1 and Stage 2. Not interested in drag times, that's not how I will be driving my car regularly, I want a tune that 'feels' powerful overall.

Also, Stage 2 plots show that they include the Dinan exhaust. Does the exhaust add power and TRQ? If so by how much? Thanks.
Stage 2 numbers are based on having the exhaust and intake as well as that is what stage 2 was designed for; taking advantage of the additional air flow that the components give you. Stage 2 by itself does also add an extra pound of boost so it does have an additional benefit but you would not realize the full gains that are listed on the site without the supporting hard parts. The exhaust for all practical terms adds a few horses of power at the high RPM range but not anything necessarily meaningful or that can be felt by the layman. The intake is more important to the overall power of the stage 2 tune and you would be garnering very close to the advertised power with it added to the tune. Without the intake the stage 2 tune will yield about 8-10HP less then advertised.

In general if you plan to just tune the car with no hard part upgrades I would just do the stage 1 tune. You can always upgrade later for just the difference in cost if you choose to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info Dinan..

Anyone like to share out the door cost in Houston, anyone?

How hard is it to install this yourself? I am not a super DIY guy. The only work I have done on my car is to install the BAV sound speakers. I cant imagine this will be very hard? Can you screw the install easily?

Oh and any warranty issues if its installed by yourself and not the Dinan shop?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info Dinan..

Anyone like to share out the door cost in Houston, anyone?

How hard is it to install this yourself? I am not a super DIY guy. The only work I have done on my car is to install the BAV sound speakers. I cant imagine this will be very hard? Can you screw the install easily?

Oh and any warranty issues if its installed by yourself and not the Dinan shop?
I wouldn't say its difficult by any stretch of the imagination as long as you are half way competent with tools. The only thing I would recommend is having access to a code scanner/clearer just in case something needs to be cleared before/after install.

Self install or 3rd party would still retain the Dinan warranty with the caveat that we would not warrant anything that occurs as a result of improper installation. If you jam a plug into the wrong ECU connection and start the car frying the DME that would be on you as an example. Given, something like that is pretty hard to do but it needs to be noted regardless. =)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Are you guy's with Dinan stage 1 or 2 seeing any charge pipe issues or is that included in the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777
Are you guy's with Dinan stage 1 or 2 seeing any charge pipe issues or is that included in the upgrade?
Not included and no, have not seen an issue. I feel like charge pipes are one of those ticking time bombs that could go after 10k miles or 100k miles.....luck of the draw. I try my best to stay out of major boost most of the time, which I think will prolong my engine/tranny's life anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
Not included, as The Nerd stated...a MUST have (whether you have Dinan or not). BEST $500 Piece of Mind Mod you can buy.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F32 FBO

Quote:

Hi Dinan engineering..question regarding the new n55 Stage 2 flash software. The big turbo change is super costly to do both in parts and labour. What would be the result of upgrading spark plugs, coils, intercooler, intake, charge pipe, downpipe and add the Dinan Stage 2 flash software, like any other tuning stage 2 and 2+, that is?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M435i View Post
Quote:

Hi Dinan engineering..question regarding the new n55 Stage 2 flash software. The big turbo change is super costly to do both in parts and labour. What would be the result of upgrading spark plugs, coils, intercooler, intake, charge pipe, downpipe and add the Dinan Stage 2 flash software, like any other tuning stage 2 and 2+, that is?
look at what everyone else is making without dinan.. subtract power and add cost.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stage 2 for most folks is catless DP's. Dinan doesn't mess with DP's (wish to maintain a completely legal - inclusing emissions - product line) so our stage 2 N55 flash is based around the upgraded turbo. I could not say how it would perform with the setup you described or with what kind of power. I would imagine it would be a bit less than advertised but that would be a guess as again, we don't test with DP's. Our tune would not correct for the resulting CEL though which is all I can say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
look at what everyone else is making without dinan.. subtract power and add cost.
As noted above its a bit different comparison as the supporting mods are geared differently. Our stage 1 flash on the N55 though is right in the mix, as far as power numbers go, with the rest of the market. Its also one of, if not the cheapest option on the market for F chassis N55 flashes.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Stage 2 for most folks is catless DP's. Dinan doesn't mess with DP's (wish to maintain a completely legal - inclusing emissions - product line) so our stage 2 N55 flash is based around the upgraded turbo. I could not say how it would perform with the setup you described or with what kind of power. I would imagine it would be a bit less than advertised but that would be a guess as again, we don't test with DP's. Our tune would not correct for the resulting CEL though which is all I can say for sure.

Quote:
As noted above its a bit different comparison as the supporting mods are geared differently. Our stage 1 flash on the N55 though is right in the mix, as far as power numbers go, with the rest of the market. Its also one of, if not the cheapest option on the market for F chassis N55 flashes.
yeah but you can get a bm3 package for 500 to 550 new (most retailers give discounts) add 50 for the map pack and you have access to all the various maps from stage 1 up to stage+ meant for hpfps and turbos etc.. and you get logging included, a trans flash included etc etc.

in what world would I even give you guys a thought in regards to a tune?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I know you guys have a market but it just doesn't make sense to me when there appears to be more cost effective options that will get more power in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah but you can get a bm3 package for 500 to 550 new (most retailers give discounts) add 50 for the map pack and you have access to all the various maps from stage 1 up to stage+ meant for hpfps and turbos etc.. and you get logging included, a trans flash included etc etc.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I know you guys have a market but it just doesn't make sense to me when there appears to be more cost effective options that will get more power in the long run.
No offense taken or antyhing. It all comes down to what you value and the specific market you are targeting. Obviously the allure of traditional Dinan is the warranty/dealership angle which doesn't really apply to N55 flashes at this point but given how the base tunes are the same as those that were once warrantied there is some piece of mind for some knowing that at one point we were sure enough of those to offer a factory matching warranty. Its a little thing but some put a value on that. Then there is legality side of things -- we are one of the few entities that gets CARB EO's on items. N55 Flash is pending but submitted at present. For those doing DP's and all that jazz they obviously don't care about that facet but there is a fairly large market where that is a concern and where the utmost importance is placed there. In fact, we have invested millions of dollars in the past year between the portfolio of brands to have emissions dyno cells added and integrated into multiple locations so that part of development is more controlled in house. Also, will ultimately speed up the the Memo 1A and CARB processes so products are truly 50 state legal. Probably most importantly though is we would argue that we are the most thorough in terms of safety parameters and maintaining engine integrity over the long haul. We live by the flash and forget mentality. Of course this is also not for everybody. If you are a tinkerer then by all means there are alternative options out there that are better suited. No argument there.

Long story short Dinan is still heavily invested in the OEM+ side of things and that is a bit different market to cater to then others. I will say we are starting to depart from that a bit in some of the development currently underway so our appeal may spread out a bit in the not so distant future. At that point maybe there will be more value to others like yourself but until then --- competition and a multitude of options are friends of the marketplace.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
visionaut1305.50
      01-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

No offense taken or antyhing. It all comes down to what you value and the specific market you are targeting. Obviously the allure of traditional Dinan is the warranty/dealership angle which doesn't really apply to N55 flashes at this point but given how the base tunes are the same as those that were once warrantied there is some piece of mind for some knowing that at one point we were sure enough of those to offer a factory matching warranty. Its a little thing but some put a value on that. Then there is legality side of things -- we are one of the few entities that gets CARB EO's on items. N55 Flash is pending but submitted at present. For those doing DP's and all that jazz they obviously don't care about that facet but there is a fairly large market where that is a concern and where the utmost importance is placed there. In fact, we have invested millions of dollars in the past year between the portfolio of brands to have emissions dyno cells added and integrated into multiple locations so that part of development is more controlled in house. Also, will ultimately speed up the the Memo 1A and CARB processes so products are truly 50 state legal. Probably most importantly though is we would argue that we are the most thorough in terms of safety parameters and maintaining engine integrity over the long haul. We live by the flash and forget mentality. Of course this is also not for everybody. If you are a tinkerer then by all means there are alternative options out there that are better suited. No argument there.

Long story short Dinan is still heavily invested in the OEM+ side of things and that is a bit different market to cater to then others. I will say we are starting to depart from that a bit in some of the development currently underway so our appeal may spread out a bit in the not so distant future. At that point maybe there will be more value to others like yourself but until then --- competition and a multitude of options are friends of the marketplace.
that's a fair explanation to me.

honestly I am curious about the adaptive suspension flash. I know I'm interested in that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that's a fair explanation to me.

honestly I am curious about the adaptive suspension flash. I know I'm interested in that.
If you have electronic shocks, Shockware is a no brainer. The flash is next to nothing in cost and the labor is minimal (half hour to hour depending on shop minimum). It is easily the most inexpensive and transformative suspension mod you will ever have. I like to think of it as putting springs on the car without changing any of the geometry. It just rides better/flatter and pretty much elimates the unnecessary floatiness of the stock suspension.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      01-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
There are 106 posts for you to read about shockware here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1172241
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      02-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #18
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F32 FBO

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. I wouldn't go for a cat-less DP anyway. I'm worried that without the big turbo change that Dinan stage 2 flash requires l, it would push more psi than the oem turbo can handle and therefore, should it's not upgraded, it may blow it or even worse.
2014 F32 Silver Glacier RWD | MPPK I & II | Blk Dakota leather | CeramicPro coating | Full CF MPerf exterior | CF front fender (boomerang) trims | Tinted windows | GTS OLED-style taillights | CF eyelids | CF shark fin | Full black gloss CF interior trim | Apple CarPlay MMI | Full bolt-ons | Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | BM3 S2.
Appreciate 0