F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
Extreme Powerhouse

10-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #551
E92Jay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

My E92 M3 was waaaay worse. I thought it was the mirror design (you know the ones with the hole in the middle) but it ended up being the seal, the window wasn't quite going up all the way, so I wouldn't say it is a craftsmanship issue as my M3 was far more expensive, but still had the same problem, it is just something that BMW is bad at. I have owned 2 American cars, and the transmission kicked it around 70k miles, rather have a poorly designed window seal than a poorly designed transmission...just my .02
2015 F80 M3 SSII/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #552
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Jay View Post
My E92 M3 was waaaay worse. I thought it was the mirror design (you know the ones with the hole in the middle) but it ended up being the seal, the window wasn't quite going up all the way, so I wouldn't say it is a craftsmanship issue as my M3 was far more expensive, but still had the same problem, it is just something that BMW is bad at. I have owned 2 American cars, and the transmission kicked it around 70k miles, rather have a poorly designed window seal than a poorly designed transmission...just my .02
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #553
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Ummm, I'm fairly anal about my cars, and almost EVERYTHING wrong with them bothers me (..hell, to this day I could still pick my old '03 Phoenix Yellow M3 out from a sea of PY M3's, for example, just because I know every minute detail about the car.....things that nobody else would even recognize). If I had "excessive" road noise, I'd say so. Half the time my radio isn't even on, and when it is, it's either on KFI 640 (...listening to two guys talk doesn't generate much noise) or I'm playing a movie (...again, it's not generating much sound deafening noise). Maybe our definition of "excessive" is different. There isn't any more road noise present in my F30 than in my previous M3's. Your mileage may vary!

With that said, my 2013 X5 with self-closing/suction doors was the most quiet vehicle that I've ever owned (..although I sold it after only 4 months), so maybe that's why you're so unwavering in your position. FWIW, I've owned 10 BMW's in the past 12-ish years, and I've been on all of these forums for a very long time. I haven't been plagued with many of the problems that people here blog about with regards to their E46 M3's, E9X M3's, E70 X5's, E82 1 Series' or their F30 335's. Maybe I'm fortunate.....either way, my F30 doesn't have a wind leak/hiss. As I mentioned previously, my most recent M3 did have the wind hiss. I would know if my F30 had it as well....my radio/driving habits haven't changed in the last 6 months.
IDK man, I guess you're a lucky guy then...Not that it really matters much anyways, I would never go to the dealer to have them fix this. Im mostly listening to music/exhaust, but it is worth noting.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #554
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
IDK man, I guess you're a lucky guy then...Not that it really matters much anyways, I would never go to the dealer to have them fix this. Im mostly listening to music/exhaust, but it is worth noting.
To some degree maybe I am. No window regulator issues on any of my E46 M and non-M cars (..but I did have issues with the glue on the interior door trim).....No peeling interior trim, horrible orange peel (..mine was very minor), etc. on my E9X M cars.......No chipped paint issues from road debris on my X5's M-sport flared fenders....etc.

I did have the pesky blown motor issue on my '03 M3, but BMW replaced the motor so I have no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #555
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Noticing it more today...its rainy as hell for the first time in a while. Radio off, it sounds like my window is slightly open. Some bullshit!
My car is less than 6 months old, and it is rattling just as much as my Honda accord. From the B pillars, under the transmission, under the iDrive screen, and from the rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #556
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To some degree maybe I am. No window regulator issues on any of my E46 M and non-M cars (..but I did have issues with the glue on the interior door trim).....No peeling interior trim, horrible orange peel (..mine was very minor), etc. on my E9X M cars.......No chipped paint issues from road debris on my X5's M-sport flared fenders....etc.

I did have the pesky blown motor issue on my '03 M3, but BMW replaced the motor so I have no complaints.
Yeah, Im on my 5th, and have never noted any problems really. My x5 m sport was an absolutely amazing experience, never new that people were complaining about the fenders, but then again Im new to the forum, but my flared fenders looked like crap, in fact I had them touched up twice during my lease. Im sure, its because I thrashed that thing EVERY day.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #557
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, Im on my 5th, and have never noted any problems really. My x5 m sport was an absolutely amazing experience, never new that people were complaining about the fenders, but then again Im new to the forum, but my flared fenders looked like crap, in fact I had them touched up twice during my lease. Im sure, its because I thrashed that thing EVERY day.

I honestly think it's a terrain issue bt. I live in SoCal, so I don't have a lot of debris to deal with. I noticed that many of the people with the chipped fender flares lived in the East/Northeast/Midwest/etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #558
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Bro, if you turn everything off in the car(ac, music) and don't hear excessive exterior noise, either your hearing is slightly impaired, or you're lying to yourself. Ive been in 5 F30s, all had the same issue, from 320 to 335 btw.
For some reason your response reminds me of the spoiled little shit from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... "BUT I WANT AN OOMPA LOOMPA NOW!" Just because it doesn't happen to every car, doesn't mean we're lying to ourselves. I don't have the problem, but I guess I'm lying to myself and all of y'all... so hey everybody, I've got a wind noise problem too!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #559
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
For some reason your response reminds me of the spoiled little shit from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... "BUT I WANT AN OOMPA LOOMPA NOW!" Just because it doesn't happen to every car, doesn't mean we're lying to ourselves. I don't have the problem, but I guess I'm lying to myself and all of y'all... so hey everybody, I've got a wind noise problem too!
LOL, thats a good analogy! Sorry man, didn't mean to offend you, it was my logical conclusion after dealing with a handful of f30's. Id love to get in one of your cars and see what a good one sounds like.

The simple fact is every car has issues in one form or another. Like we were just talking about, the fender flares on the x5. They were just kicking dirt from the front wheels straight into them. Not a big issue considering I never really cared that much. The car was awesome, as is my 335. However, I recently joined the forums. Heard about all these issues, so I checked it out for the hell of it. Wind noise...seems present...Limp Mode...been there done that...Rattling...Well hell, I put the loudest possible exhaust on the car. It rattles a little bit. I still love driving this car EVERY day. Just wish it was as good as my perceived past experiences. But who knows, if I never joined the forum I may have never known about a wind noise issue. I probably also wouldn't have known that when limp mode happens, all I have to do is turn the car on and off. Guess its been a plus.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #560
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

No excessive wind noise here. Ah, the advantages of artillery and gun fire.

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #561
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo View Post
No excessive wind noise here. Ah, the advantages of artillery and gun fire.
LOL, Yea I can't hear it over my tinnitus.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #562
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Ummm, I'm fairly anal about my cars, and almost EVERYTHING wrong with them bothers me (..hell, to this day I could still pick my old '03 Phoenix Yellow M3 out from a sea of PY M3's, for example, just because I know every minute detail about the car.....things that nobody else would even recognize). If I had "excessive" road noise, I'd say so. Half the time my radio isn't even on, and when it is, it's either on KFI 640 (...listening to two guys talk doesn't generate much noise) or I'm playing a movie (...again, it's not generating much sound deafening noise). Maybe our definition of "excessive" is different. There isn't any more road noise present in my F30 than in my previous M3's. Your mileage may vary!

With that said, my 2013 X5 with self-closing/suction doors was the most quiet vehicle that I've ever owned (..although I sold it after only 4 months), so maybe that's why you're so unwavering in your position. FWIW, I've owned 10 BMW's in the past 12-ish years, and I've been on all of these forums for a very long time. I haven't been plagued with many of thhe problems that people here blog about with regards to their E46 M3's, E9X M3's, E70 X5's, E82 1 Series' or their F30 335's. Maybe I'm fortunate.....either way, my F30 doesn't have a wind leak/hiss. As I mentioned previously, my most recent M3 did have the wind hiss. I would know if my F30 had it as well....my radio/driving habits haven't changed in the last 6 months.
+1 don't have wind noise.
      10-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #563
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 x-drive luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
+1 don't have wind noise.
How about offering a drive to one of the other SoCal members that does have wind noise? Please?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #564
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone noticed how dirty the framework inside the doors get on your cars? Obviously a lot of road dirt getting in the seams, but I don't recall my E90's getting this excessively dirty. Maybe another contributing factor to the noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #565
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

So I got the car back... as my bad luck would have it, the weather was warmer and Murphy's law dictates that cars with issues behave themselves when presented to the service technicians during diagnosis.

So they found nothing & did nothing. Car was all to spec.

They tried a water pressure test as well as using some sort of acoustic sonic sensor to detect any gaps and hence a potential leak. They didn't go into the details of how this instrument works, so I'm a little skeptical that such a magic wand exists.

Admittedly the car was quiet yesterday on the drive home. But tonight I just came back from a drive and lo & behold... problem is still there.

The problem I am facing is
1. the car actually demonstrating its worst when I take the car in; and
2. the technicians being able to tell what it is I'm complaining about... this is unfortunately very subjective

However, I have to say my car's noise tonight was extremely irritating and at times I couldn't talk to my friend due to the din it was creating on certain bad surfaces.

Time to take matters into my own hands and apply some professional self adhesive foam around the window frames. I'll take pics if & when I get the material & time to apply it. My experiment demonstrated that this is a solid solution, so I'm confident this will work.

All this trouble for a $70k car :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #566
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Maybe it is specific to cross winds? Also I assume you ruled out road surface differences?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #567
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
Has anyone noticed how dirty the framework inside the doors get on your cars? Obviously a lot of road dirt getting in the seams, but I don't recall my E90's getting this excessively dirty. Maybe another contributing factor to the noise?
I haven't noticed that the sills become any more or less dirty than any other BMW that I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #568
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
So I got the car back... as my bad luck would have it, the weather was warmer and Murphy's law dictates that cars with issues behave themselves when presented to the service technicians during diagnosis.

So they found nothing & did nothing. Car was all to spec.

They tried a water pressure test as well as using some sort of acoustic sonic sensor to detect any gaps and hence a potential leak. They didn't go into the details of how this instrument works, so I'm a little skeptical that such a magic wand exists.

Admittedly the car was quiet yesterday on the drive home. But tonight I just came back from a drive and lo & behold... problem is still there.

The problem I am facing is
1. the car actually demonstrating its worst when I take the car in; and
2. the technicians being able to tell what it is I'm complaining about... this is unfortunately very subjective

However, I have to say my car's noise tonight was extremely irritating and at times I couldn't talk to my friend due to the din it was creating on certain bad surfaces.

Time to take matters into my own hands and apply some professional self adhesive foam around the window frames. I'll take pics if & when I get the material & time to apply it. My experiment demonstrated that this is a solid solution, so I'm confident this will work.

All this trouble for a $70k car :-(
Not that you should need to, but are you able to go with the tech's for a drive to say "hey, hear that noise in your left ear. That's the $&?! noise that should not be in a $70,000 car!" Maybe then you will get someone to understand our issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #569
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Not that you should need to, but are you able to go with the tech's for a drive to say "hey, hear that noise in your left ear. That's the $&?! noise that should not be in a $70,000 car!" Maybe then you will get someone to understand our issue.
I don't think you guys will ever be satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #570
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I never will be satisfied when I travel a fair bit and tend to rent less expensive vehicles such as Chrysler 200's, Chevy Malibu's, etc and they are completely wind noise free compared to a car considered to be a premium vehicle. Yes, they drive like a piece of shit, but at least they're quiet.

It is not just us anal folks as I have noticed many colleagues, clients and friends get into the driver's side of my car and as soon as I get on the highway over 80 kph, they start reaching for the window buttons in an attempt to close the windows that are already closed.

So, your point is? And, what are you contributing?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #571
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And, if you want to contribute something, let someone with a noisy car travel with you in your wind noise free car!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #572
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I never will be satisfied when I travel a fair bit and tend to rent less expensive vehicles such as Chrysler 200's, Chevy Malibu's, etc and they are completely wind noise free compared to a car considered to be a premium vehicle. Yes, they drive like a piece of shit, but at least they're quiet.

It is not just us anal folks as I have noticed many colleagues, clients and friends get into the driver's side of my car and as soon as I get on the highway over 80 kph, they start reaching for the window buttons in an attempt to close the windows that are already closed.

So, your point is? And, what are you contributing?
My point was already made. If it's that big of a deal to you, buy the cheaper car that drives worse, but it noise free. The is a free country (..as is yours). Nothing is stopping you from ridding yourself of that noisy, expensive BMW today and opting for something else. Ferrari's have problems.....Bentley's have problems......Porsche's have problems........all cars have problems.
Appreciate 0