F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech - Amp Upgrade - HiFi Only (F3x / F8x)
GetBMWParts

06-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #45
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Is the 14 ft USB cable used to connect to a laptop in the front seat while tweaking settings? Too bad there doesn't appear to be any Mac software.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #46
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink
Is the 14 ft USB cable used to connect to a laptop in the front seat while tweaking settings? Too bad there doesn't appear to be any Mac software.
Yes, it'll reach the front seat for fine tuning (ideal as the driver needs to listen to the sound quality). As for MAC, you might have to run a Windows VM.
      06-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #47
Bspec79
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 - 328i MSport

I noticed the amp has a micro sd card slot. What is that used for?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #48
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bspec79 View Post
I noticed the amp has a micro sd card slot. What is that used for?
To load a DSP file instead of loading it with a laptop.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2015, 03:03 AM   #49
Marlena13
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

This is something that every car should have
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 04:35 AM   #50
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Thanks for the great review Jimmy.

Just placed the order yesterday after reading your review, and the shipment should arrive tmw. Looking forwards to installing it this weekend

I will put this wireless USB connector in the amp to eliminate the wiring to the notebook.
Attached Images

Last edited by Serpent720; 06-11-2015 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #51
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post

Just placed the order yesterday after reading your review, and the shipment should arrive tmw. Looking forwards to installing it this weekend

I will put this wireless USB connector in the amp to eliminate the wiring to the notebook.
That's a great idea on the wireless USB connector. Please let me know if they work.
      06-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #52
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:

If it can work, then you will also need a micro to mini USB adapter.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #53
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Hello,

My kit has arrived and I'm preparing to install this weekend. I noted that you mentioned "no need to disconnect battery". Everytime I mess with 12V on my cars I've disconnected the negative terminal.

I noted the manual that came with the kit also suggests doing so.

I'm curious if you know whether there is any voltage at the amp harness when the car is off. If no voltage and/or if it's fuse protected than I suppose there is little that can go wrong. I was just curious if you had been guided to do the replacement without removing the battery lead?

Thanks!

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Just remove the OEM amp in the trunk and plug new amp into existing harness. No need to disconnect battery or head unit. Plug and play. The new amp goes into the old amp mounting location.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #54
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew46 View Post
Hello,

My kit has arrived and I'm preparing to install this weekend. I noted that you mentioned "no need to disconnect battery". Everytime I mess with 12V on my cars I've disconnected the negative terminal.

I'm curious if you know whether there is any voltage at the amp harness when the car is off. If no voltage and/or if it's fuse protected than I suppose there is little that can go wrong. I was just curious if you had been guided to do the replacement without removing the battery lead?

Thanks!

Drew
You don't need to remove the battery terminal. I swapped the amps back and forth (OEM and Bimmertech) to compare while the car is even running. No issue or spark. Just turn down the volume, the new amp is very loud.

To be safe, just turn the car off.

Oh, turn down the door gong sound in your car's setting.
      06-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #55
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

TransferJet requires a distance of about an inch or less between devices for pairing. That means that you will need to keep your laptop in the trunk and virtually on top of the PP82DSP. And TransferJet is designed to transfer files and not necessarily real-time transfer of data from the laptop to the PP82DSP back and forth -like when you are tuning. And tuning is best made from your driver seat and not from the trunk. Thus the included 15' USB cable.

Let us know how this works for you...

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #56
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew46 View Post
Hello,

Thanks!

Drew
You do not need to disconnect the battery if the ignition is off. The 12V that powers the amp is a switched 12V. I also verified this by trying to connect the amp to my laptop while the ignition is off, and a connection couldn't be established, so that means the amp was not powered.

Even if the amp's 12V is not switched, I wouldn't worry about plugging it in directly as the $800 amp has to have a hot swap controller to soft-start the 12V input.
      06-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #57
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

No need to disconnect battery, the PP82DSP supports hot swap. The disconnection of the battery is suggested in the PP82DSP manual as means of safety if you are wiring this unit yourself to the battery directly. This 100% PnP BimmerTech PP82DSP kit is already wired for you and it does not require any direct battery connection.

Technically the OEM amp 12V power line is not switched. It is a controlled line based mainly on the status and timing of the opening and closing of the doors and trunk. The ignition controls the permanency of the 12V as a secondary trigger. The 12V will go to sleep (less than 1V) after 20 minutes or so after all doors/trunk are closed and ignition is off.

All this means that the 12V line will be constant only after opening a door/trunk if more than 20 minutes has passed after the car has been sitting, locked and off.

The PP82DSP actually turns on by signal sensing. Which also means that, although "constant" 12V are present, the unit itself is not on until it senses voltage at its inputs. There is voltage in the inputs any time the iDrive unit is on. And the iDrive turns on by opening a door/trunk, and turns off (0V at the outputs) after 5.8 minutes after closing all doors/trunk in the F30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
You do not need to disconnect the battery if the ignition is off. The 12V that powers the amp is a switched 12V. I also verified this by trying to connect the amp to my laptop while the ignition is off, and a connection couldn't be established, so that means the amp was not powered.

Even if the amp's 12V is not switched, I wouldn't worry about plugging it in directly as the $800 amp has to have a hot swap controller to soft-start the 12V input.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #58
HiTek
Info-Maniac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport

I may have missed it, but I read through this entire thread. I have a 05/2012 F30 Sport (COMBOX in trunk). How will the installation differ? Seems like it would be easier? I imagine it is still compatible.
MW 328i Sport/Premium, Cold Weather & Tech Pkgs/Sport Auto. Trans/Variable Sport Steering/Xenons/Park Distance Control/M Performance Black Kidney Grills & Gloss Black Whiskers/Black Gloss roof Wrap/Dinan Exhaust/aFe Intake/JB4 w/ Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #59
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Your OEM sound system must be HiFi to install this PnP kit. The Combox has nothing to do with the sound system in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTek View Post
I may have missed it, but I read through this entire thread. I have a 05/2012 F30 Sport (COMBOX in trunk). How will the installation differ? Seems like it would be easier? I imagine it is still compatible.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #60
HiTek
Info-Maniac
United_States
Rep

It is HiFi. I just was hoping to not have to pull the dash apart. I guess I'll pass for now. This is an upgrade I REALLY want to add to my car, but I'm not comfortable with the installation. Le
MW 328i Sport/Premium, Cold Weather & Tech Pkgs/Sport Auto. Trans/Variable Sport Steering/Xenons/Park Distance Control/M Performance Black Kidney Grills & Gloss Black Whiskers/Black Gloss roof Wrap/Dinan Exhaust/aFe Intake/JB4 w/ Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #61
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
It is HiFi. I just was hoping to not have to pull the dash apart. I guess I'll pass for now. This is an upgrade I REALLY want to add to my car, but I'm not comfortable with the installation. Le
There is absolutely no need to pull the dash apart, everything is done in the trunk. Very simple.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #62
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
?? What made you think you have to pull the dash? OEM Amp is located in trunk, this is a direct PnP OEM Amp replacement.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #63
HiTek
Info-Maniac
United_States
Rep

Copy that. I guess I misunderstood about the USB cable. I also thought I saw cup holders in one of the pics, but I was wrong. Now I wish I had purchased it while it was $100 off!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #64
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand... this "pull the dash apart" has been mentioned twice already. Is the photo of the laptop in the passenger seat confusing?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #65
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Thanks to both of you for your responses - I'll try it without disconnecting the battery.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No need to disconnect battery, the PP82DSP supports hot swap. The disconnection of the battery is suggested in the PP82DSP manual as means of safety if you are wiring this unit yourself to the battery directly. This 100% PnP BimmerTech PP82DSP kit is already wired for you and it does not require any direct battery connection.

Technically the OEM amp 12V power line is not switched. It is a controlled line based mainly on the status and timing of the opening and closing of the doors and trunk. The ignition controls the permanency of the 12V as a secondary trigger. The 12V will go to sleep (less than 1V) after 20 minutes or so after all doors/trunk are closed and ignition is off.

All this means that the 12V line will be constant only after opening a door/trunk if more than 20 minutes has passed after the car has been sitting, locked and off.

The PP82DSP actually turns on by signal sensing. Which also means that, although "constant" 12V are present, the unit itself is not on until it senses voltage at its inputs. There is voltage in the inputs any time the iDrive unit is on. And the iDrive turns on by opening a door/trunk, and turns off (0V at the outputs) after 5.8 minutes after closing all doors/trunk in the F30.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #66
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Just got mine installed today, after setting up my own EQ settings, and I can hear the great improvement of the sound coming out from all speakers.

I really love the solid bass and crispy sound.

Good job BimmerTech!

BTW, forget about the USB TransferJet, it does not work.
Appreciate 2