F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking to upgrade 2014 320i xdrive
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
joelaughing
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Looking to upgrade 2014 320i xdrive

Just bought a 2014 320i xdrive. Definitely a fun car. Already a little bummed I didn’t just go with a 328i. But mine does have an upgraded lighting package and is a nice car. I’m looking to put a little money into it to make it a little quicker if I can. I’m not a car nut or anything like that so I'm hoping you guys can offer some good recommendations for this model. Right now, I'm thinking of a good performance chip. I would also like to upgrade to a dual exhaust but is that doable on the 320i? I imagine it would require a new back bumper to fit the slots.. Also thinking cold air intake, but as I understand it, those don't do too much in terms of hp- mostly sound. So, any recommendations on that stuff? Or anything else I'm not thinking of?

One more thing- after I put a few upgrades on it. I like the idea of taking the 320i and xdrive logo off the back. I like the clean look. Do you know if there are holes under those decals? Or are the just glued on?

Thanks for the help!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I doubt it'll be any quicker but a few mods to add some sound might make the car seem quicker and more fun. The decals are just glued on.

I would also look at the bigger picture. I thought about modding my 335. But after intake, exhaust, tune, diff.. im looking at nearly a years worth of payments in money. Would I rather pay off the car a year early and upgrade to an M3 or keep the car for the full loan term and mod it ? Just something to think about.

If you're already bummed with the car now the mods are only going to hold you over for a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaughing View Post
Just bought a 2014 320i xdrive. Definitely a fun car. Already a little bummed I didn’t just go with a 328i. But mine does have an upgraded lighting package and is a nice car. I’m looking to put a little money into it to make it a little quicker if I can. I’m not a car nut or anything like that so I'm hoping you guys can offer some good recommendations for this model. Right now, I'm thinking of a good performance chip. I would also like to upgrade to a dual exhaust but is that doable on the 320i? I imagine it would require a new back bumper to fit the slots.. Also thinking cold air intake, but as I understand it, those don't do too much in terms of hp- mostly sound. So, any recommendations on that stuff? Or anything else I'm not thinking of?

One more thing- after I put a few upgrades on it. I like the idea of taking the 320i and xdrive logo off the back. I like the clean look. Do you know if there are holes under those decals? Or are the just glued on?

Thanks for the help!!!
You spent less for a 320i, but you have the same engine as the 328i. Put a tune like Bootmod3 on it and you are closing in on a 335. You will be sacrificing some reliability for this because the parts are not rated for 300hp. If I were on a budget, a tuned 320i would be the way I would go.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Jb4 tune is the way to go for around $500 bucks you can bolt on the tune and get more bang for the buck. Boot mod will work if this is an N20.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
joelaughing
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
You spent less for a 320i, but you have the same engine as the 328i. Put a tune like Bootmod3 on it and you are closing in on a 335. You will be sacrificing some reliability for this because the parts are not rated for 300hp. If I were on a budget, a tuned 320i would be the way I would go.
Thanks for the input. When you say "tune like Bootmod3," is that something that just "reprograms" the way the engine works? Sorry, just learning this stuff. What's the difference between something like that and these "chips" that go in the engine and remain plugged in while in use? Also, any thoughts on an exhaust?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Thanks for the input. When you say "tune like Bootmod3," is that something that just "reprograms" the way the engine works? Sorry, just learning this stuff. What's the difference between something like that and these "chips" that go in the engine and remain plugged in while in use? Also, any thoughts on an exhaust?

Thanks again!
You would be flashing/re-programming (bootmod3) your engine control unit(ECU) which is the computer running your engine. The chips/boxes (JB4) you are talking about are boxes you add to your engine which tricks your engine's computer into giving you more power. You really want the flash solution and not to be playing around fooling your ECU for many reasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Not sure 320 and 328 truly have the same internals.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Im with ya on that...

We all know that the 320 is essentially a detuned version (software) of the 328 but I believe there are some hardware differences as well.

Anyone have the facts on this?
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      05-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
OP:

I would pick up a drop in air filter and maybe an air scoop (~ $100).

I would also consider a catch can if you think you'll keep this car a long while.

As for a tune... I am holding out for a proper flash tune as opposed to a piggyback. Again - depends on your plans to keep car or just ride the shit out of it for a year or so and then dump it?

How about cosmetics. Have you thought about a uniform tint? How about black kidney grilles? De-badging is also a nice touch if you like the clean look.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the help!!!
If you weren't a car nut before, you might end up being one now. A chip tune like JB4 someone mentioned here is a piggyback tune, which tricks your car to give you more boost. This means that you'll suddenly get a bigger surge of power. On the other hand there's a flash tune like Bootmod3 which will reprogram how your car delivers power, so it'll be much smoother. The difference though is that JB4 is easy enough to remove and BM3 will definitely void your warranty.

You can definitely do the dual exhaust though, many others have. You don't need a new bumper, you just need to make a cut in your existing bumper/diffuser. Depends on which line you have. Do you have an M Sport? If so it would be a cut in the diffuser. If not, it's the bumper.

Intake definitely is just for sound. As for other mods, all depends on what you're looking for, cosmetic or performance? A lot of people get black grills, you mentioned debadging, you could do a spoiler, I would recommend wheels too. Your wallet will be the limiting factor!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Jb4 tune is the way to go for around $500 bucks you can bolt on the tune and get more bang for the buck. Boot mod will work if this is an N20.
Yes, this. I had a 320 with sport package for my last car and installed stage 1 in the 1st week I had it. HUGE improvement and I never had any reliability issues.

I guess I am in the minority too but I really like the single exhaust on the 320. Clean look and its a wider diameter pipe than the dual exhaust tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
All very similar except the 328 has stronger more robust pistons. Kind of a big deal. I would be reluctant pushing the 320 past stage 1 for an extended period of time. I am running JB+ on my 328 currently and I am having problems with misfires already, 16k miles.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the differences between the 320 and 328

http://www.f30driver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966132

"See what is missing in the above list? The difference in the 320i and the 328i is the pistons. While both have a 10:1 compression ratio the 320i has a different part numbers for the pistons then the 328i. What that exactly means in terms of the ability to boost the turbo pressure and get 328 power from your 320 is not yet known."

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 05-26-2018 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i

Hey I'm on the same boat. Just got a 320i last week and didn't really know anything much about BMW and now after looking around, I wanna make my 320i the best it can be.

As far as tuning, is the JB4 the way to go? I see there's a million different tunings out there so I'm not sure of the benefits and downfalls of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
Hey I'm on the same boat. Just got a 320i last week and didn't really know anything much about BMW and now after looking around, I wanna make my 320i the best it can be.

As far as tuning, is the JB4 the way to go? I see there's a million different tunings out there so I'm not sure of the benefits and downfalls of them.
Flash tune > Piggy back tune
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
So the BM3 is a flash tune correct? What benefits does it have over a piggyback? As someone under warranty, this would void it right? Is it something reversible?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #15
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
So the BM3 is a flash tune correct? What benefits does it have over a piggyback? As someone under warranty, this would void it right? Is it something reversible?
Flash tune is a "real tune" where data from your specific car is analyzed and parameters altered based on that data/supporting mods. This allows the tuner to dial in the tune over time and revise as more mods are added and the vehicle profile changes. Will definitely void warranty but has proven to be fairly safe when dealing with reputable tuners who are knowledgeable about your platform. You can flash back to stock but I believe there will be evidence of the tune left behind for BMW to find IF they go looking. I dont believe its a giant red flag instantly the second your car goes in for service.

Piggyback is a "canned tune" that plugs into sensors under the hood to trick car into making more power. Can be installed and uninstalled across multiple vehicles with the same engine code unlimited times. To my knowledge, when you uninstall the unit - no evidence remains.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Flash tune is a "real tune" where data from your specific car is analyzed and parameters altered based on that data/supporting mods.

Piggyback is a "canned tune" that plugs into sensors under the hood to trick car into making more power. Can be installed and uninstalled across multiple vehicles with the same engine code unlimited times.

Does flash offer more performance compared to piggyback? Is one safer than the other? Thanks for the help btw!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Flash tune is a "real tune" where data from your specific car is analyzed and parameters altered based on that data/supporting mods.

Piggyback is a "canned tune" that plugs into sensors under the hood to trick car into making more power. Can be installed and uninstalled across multiple vehicles with the same engine code unlimited times.

Does flash offer more performance compared to piggyback? Is one safer than the other? Thanks for the help btw!
I would have to think that a custom flash tune by someone who knows what they are doing is just as safe as a piggyback tune if not safer.

I also think piggyback tunes have the POTENTIAL to be more dangerous because of their one size fits all design. Plugging in a flash tune, throwing it on the high setting and standing on the throttle "to see how much faster it makes the car" cant be the best in the long run.

These are just my opinions. Others may disagree. Im holding out for a flash tune personally because I plan to keep this car for a few years and put a lot of miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #18
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would have to think that a custom flash tune by someone who knows what they are doing is just as safe as a piggyback tune if not safer.

I also think piggyback tunes have the POTENTIAL to be more dangerous because of their one size fits all design. Plugging in a flash tune, throwing it on the high setting and standing on the throttle "to see how much faster it makes the car" cant be the best for the car in the long run.

These are just my opinions. Others may disagree. Im holding out for a flash tune personally because I plan to keep this car for a few years and put a lot of miles on it.
Yeah I have a bit of extra money and don't know what to do now. BootMod3 is nice, but I still have ~30k miles left on my warranty and I definitely don't want to void it. I'm thinking of most likely going JB4 because it doesn't leave a trace, then possibly moving onto BootMod3 after my warranty is up. I don't plan on having street races, but there's a certain thrill that comes when you hit that pedal. I just wanna make it a little more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #19
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:

I also think piggyback tunes have the POTENTIAL to be more dangerous because of their one size fits all design. Plugging in a flash tune, throwing it on the high setting and standing on the throttle "to see how much faster it makes the car" cant be the best for the car in the long run.

Yeah I have a bit of extra money and don't know what to do now. BootMod3 is nice, but I still have ~30k miles left on my warranty and I definitely don't want to void it. I'm thinking of most likely going JB4 because it doesn't leave a trace, then possibly moving onto BootMod3 after my warranty is up. I don't plan on having street races, but there's a certain thrill that comes when you hit that pedal. I just wanna make it a little more enjoyable.
Not a bad plan. I would never suggest giving up 30k miles of warranty! JB4 is arguably the premier choice for piggyback on this forum. Generally good reviews. Only advice would be to tread lightly and you'll be fine. I think people run into trouble when they use a setting that they dont have supporting mods for, just plug it in and let 'er rip!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #20
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not a bad plan. I would never suggest giving up 30k miles of warranty! JB4 is arguably the premier choice for piggyback on this forum. Generally good reviews. Only advice would be to tread lightly and you'll be fine. I think people run into trouble when they use a setting that they dont have supporting mods for, just plug it in and let 'er rip!

Much love for the advice! Besides a JB4 install, are there any other decent/easy mods you'd recommend for an install?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
No problem.

Research has shown that air intakes do little to nothing for performance (on this platform). On that note, a lot of members have chosen a drop in filter to make sure their engine is breathing optimally (compared to stock paper filter). There are a few options if you search. There is also a scoop available from aFe that goes behind one of the kidney grilles and directs more air into the stock air intake. I was able to get both, brand new for $100 shipped.

Other than that - I would honestly recommend a catch can. Wont do a thing to increase performance but will help the engine retain its factory performance over time to a better degree than an engine with out. This is true for all direct injection motors, which are notorious for developing coked intake valves (leading to decreased performance over time). If your not planning on keeping the car for a while then maybe you'll skip this and let the next guy worry about it. Got mine for $200 shipped.

Last edited by sspade; 05-27-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #22
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No problem.

Research has shown that air intakes do little to nothing for performance (on this platform). On that note, a lot of members have chosen a drop in filter to make sure their engine is breathing optimally (compared to paper). There are a few options if you search. There is also a scoop available from aFe that goes behind one of the kidney grilles and directs more air into the stock air intake. I was able to get both, brand new for $100 shipped.

Other than that - I would honestly recommend a catch can. Wont do a thing to increase performance but will help the engine retain its factory performance over time to a better degree than an engine with out. This is true for all direct injection motors, which are notorious for developing coked intake valves (leading to decreased performance over time). If your not planning on keeping the car for a while then maybe you'll skip this and let the next guy worry about it. Got mine for $200 shipped.
Are these things easy to do DIY?
Appreciate 0