F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another Rant Thread - Parking Lot Dents
GetBMWParts

04-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Another Rant Thread - Parking Lot Dents

As the title says and as the current trend seems to be heading, no damn clue what some people are thinking when they park and then slam their door into other people's cars. Doesn't matter who you are and what you're driving, you should be respectful to peoples property.

That's why I usually park between two empty spaces, and that was the case today. However I come back to still my car being the only one there and a freaking dent that's two parts because their door had contacted the top and bottom part of the driver's rear passenger door. Reviewed my dash cam only to see this...

Given that the car takes 5 minutes to power down, it just so happens that it powers down the moment PRIOR to the dent...

And as a result...

Oh and this also happened on my drive home...

The cardboard thankfully didn't damage anything. Dent-wise, the paint didn't chip off... I think. But a waste of my time and money just to get this fixed!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

Sucks dood. Crazy how you have the videos always going. These panels are so thin and dent so easily.

To avoid, I'll be parking farther from the front door when I go places, I guess.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
CS328Ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Feel your pain dude. It's the price of living in Vancouver. The small, narrow parking stalls and narrow streets leave much to be desired.

I had some pretty bad experiences, for example, I had one lady dent my car while I was still in it. I confronted her and she ignored me while walking away. A lot of these people don't really respect your stuff. Needless to say, I had two dents repaired within the first 6 months of ownership.

Chad from dent craft is great if you're in Vancouver.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #4
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

There's a fair few inconsiderate people who don't respect others property at all. I always park miles away from any shop, and preferably either an end space (to half the possibility) or somewhere where no one can get next to you (eg along the side of the road rather than in an actual car park). These little dents do my head (and OCD) in and they're all I can see when I walk back to my car. Sitting in slow traffic and gazing around, it amazes me (and my OCD) how people in nice cars have multiple dents along the doors and sides and don't get them repaired. There's many PDR firms about that could get those out for £50ish in the UK, so can't imagine you'd be any different.

My most annoying one was in a Merc coupe that you couldn't see looking at the panel, but in my wing mirror I saw it every time I looked to change lanes etc - got a PDR man out to it who also could only see it in the mirror at first, but then when he put his lights on it, it was clearly visible. £50 later and it was gone, and I could concentrate on the crappy 2.2Ltr diesel that ruined the car now!
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiverBird View Post
There's a fair few inconsiderate people who don't respect others property at all. I always park miles away from any shop, and preferably either an end space (to half the possibility) or somewhere where no one can get next to you (eg along the side of the road rather than in an actual car park). These little dents do my head (and OCD) in and they're all I can see when I walk back to my car. Sitting in slow traffic and gazing around, it amazes me (and my OCD) how people in nice cars have multiple dents along the doors and sides and don't get them repaired. There's many PDR firms about that could get those out for £50ish in the UK, so can't imagine you'd be any different.

My most annoying one was in a Merc coupe that you couldn't see looking at the panel, but in my wing mirror I saw it every time I looked to change lanes etc - got a PDR man out to it who also could only see it in the mirror at first, but then when he put his lights on it, it was clearly visible. £50 later and it was gone, and I could concentrate on the crappy 2.2Ltr diesel that ruined the car now!

Yeah ditto, I had a small dent in my E91 bonnet, you could only see it from passenger side and only if was pointed out or you noticed it. However, I knew it was there!!!!

There is a people carrier along road from me that for last 2 years has had same missing side trim and door damage down passenger side (rear and front passenger doors) does my head in driving past lol.

Just get it sorted!!! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS328Ci View Post
Feel your pain dude. It's the price of living in Vancouver. The small, narrow parking stalls and narrow streets leave much to be desired.

I had some pretty bad experiences, for example, I had one lady dent my car while I was still in it. I confronted her and she ignored me while walking away. A lot of these people don't really respect your stuff. Needless to say, I had two dents repaired within the first 6 months of ownership.

Chad from dent craft is great if you're in Vancouver.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Yeah ditto, I had a small dent in my E91 bonnet, you could only see it from passenger side and only if was pointed out or you noticed it. However, I knew it was there!!!!

There is a people carrier along road from me that for last 2 years has had same missing side trim and door damage down passenger side (rear and front passenger doors) does my head in driving past lol.

Just get it sorted!!! Lol.
I totally understand how the littlest of things catch our eyes. Once it's there, its hard to not focus on it!

The entire time I've owned my Infiniti, previous to the F30, never gotten a dent once. However with the F30, this is the 3rd dent I've gotten since I got it in September 2013.

First one I just happened to notice one day, probably 3 months in, on the driver's rear wheel arch, must have gotten it repaired within the same weekend because it bothered me so much. But boy did that cost a bit for PDR work because they had to pull the dent due to the location as Chris from Precision Dents didn't want to drill for obvious reasons. Looked like new after though.

Second one was almost a year ago on the passenger door, however it was very faint and not very noticeable unless you are 1-2 feet from it actively looking. Haven't bothered to repair it due to how inconspicuous it was.

And well this whopper that I can only go

Sent for some estimates with Precision Dents again and Dent Craft. Shouldn't be too much money given it's a door panel this time and they can access it through the window.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I always park miles away from any shop, and preferably either an end space (to half the possibility) or somewhere where no one can get next to you
+1. People who dent other peoples cars tend to be stupid, and stupid goes hand in hand with lazy, so they're the ones who tend to park as close as possible to the store. I park as far away as is possible in a lot, beyond the walking range of the lazy and stupid. Besides, the exercise of walking more than 100 feet to the store entrance is good for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1. People who dent other peoples cars tend to be stupid, and stupid goes hand in hand with lazy, so they're the ones who tend to park as close as possible to the store. I park as far away as is possible in a lot, beyond the walking range of the lazy and stupid. Besides, the exercise of walking more than 100 feet to the store entrance is good for you.
I even have to do this at work and park on the top of my parking deck. Yes, my car is in the sun, but that's what Wolfgang Sealant and CG Butter Wax is for.

I've said it before; honestly think some people do this stuff on purpose out of envy. Not my fault you drive a Highlander or CRV.

You must also be careful when parking far away in isolation, the envious targeting gets worse when you stick out I think.

Here in Atlanta, this is certainly the land of the haves and have nots, and the city is extremely shallow and trendy. The economy is great here, but you either see beaters or new luxury cars from a 3 series to Bentley's on a regular. The folks in the beaters almost try to make you hit them, they stare at your car with frowns, drive like idiots, park like clowns, etc. Hate to sound like this, but its based on observations.

In my old F30, things weren't that bad at all, now I'm in my F32 with M Sport, 19s, and Red interior, the attention has skyrocketed; wasn't expecting it and it concerns me when parking.

Think I'll shop online more....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Park far, far, far away from other people. Also, don't think that parking next to an expensive car is safe. Not long ago I saw a guy in a Bentley Continental swing his door open and hit the car next to him.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I park SO FAR away it is scary. If I am walking away from my car and I get a bad feeling I get back in and move it further. I am not even OCD, I just hate people and what they do. People are savages. I had my E92 for 5+ years. Never had 1 ding because I park butthole far away. When my gf gets mad about it... I just tell her it is my only thing and walking is good for you. Ha.

However my previous two new cars before my BMW were both damaged by road debris on the highway flying up and hitting them..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

That sucks, first from the dents then to the cardboard. To avoid this, I always end up parking at the end of the parking lot to avoid people like that, and too keep the carts away.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Usually I'd take a corner space, so that I'm able to park on the line of the outer edge giving me tons of room on the one beside the space. However as physics sometimes dictates, the next person will do the same because there's space, making it a moot point.

Got the dent fixed yesterday at Dent King, it was just too much of an eye sore. $175 to fix the both of them, and took double the time I was quoted (had to rush to another commitment). However that said, can't really blame them given that just eyeballing it won't mean much until you actually get to the work at hand. Also got quotes elsewhere but it all came up to around the same.

That said, all I had to do was buff out the mark left by the culprit and it was all good. Looks like new again!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #13
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport

3 month's in-to ownership, my door was dented with paint chipped. It was a $600 repair After than I invested in a dash cam with power management.

I hate it when I park far away, and away from all cars. I'll go away and come back to a car parked beside me, with other spots around me free. Can't people take a hint? FFS.
2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:57 AM   #14
adainxiao
Rep
Drives: bmw

These panels are so thin and dent so easily.
      04-20-2015, 04:09 AM   #15
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Sometimes it's the children passengers. I won't park anywhere near a place where parents take them to play. In their excitement to get out, they swing wide and hard. Aerosols.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
Ilovemycar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 428I MSport, %E2%80%9818 5

Man...I agree..I have gotten more dents in the 8 months I've had my 428i than total in my previous 4 cars. Tomorrow I am having 3 taken out and last month I had another. I too park as far away as possible but sometimes, there is no option. I try to never park next to SUVs which kids just swing that door open and the adults says "oh well"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I try to never park next to SUVs which kids just swing that door open and the adults says "oh well"
I always park well away from Stupid Uber Vehicles, if for no other reason than I can't see around them when leaving the space.
I had a chuckle yesterday at the golf course. While putting the clubs back into the car a shiny new Range Rover pulled into the lot. Not only was it so large that one probably should have an All Oceans/All Seas Masters License to drive it, it had more clanks and rattles than the average trash collection truck.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #18
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
It doesn't matter where you park... you're going to get hit...=( I try to park in an end spot or somewhere "safe" It didn't help me thou. I was at a local game with the fam. When I parked no one was next to me. I came back to get something from the car for the kids and saw this...

Nothing was left. I had them announce the plate of the car that hit me no one showed up. I left a note to call me. Luckily he did give me a call a day later. Working on resolution.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #19
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

We bought ding protection (around $200, 4 years all-you-can-eat PDR) on our X5 four years ago. So we park it in small spots, close spots, tight spots, next to minivans, next to SUV's, next to gigantic lifted trucks, wherever. Not a single ding in 4 years.

I skip the ding insurance on my 335i which I park in far spots, edge spots, corner spots, deserted spots. Boom, first ding in less than a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

dash cam doesn't do anything really because lets be honest you gonna chase after somebody for ~100? Only works if you catch it on video and the same car is parked next to you. Then you gotta wait for the owner too its a headache. Most of the time its impossible to prove and not worth taking up to small claims or insurance. If I did catch some one red handed and they refused. I'd probably just kick their door in lol. Actually I don't know what I would do in my fit of rage maybe key the car or slash some tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster View Post
dash cam doesn't do anything really because lets be honest you gonna chase after somebody for ~100? Only works if you catch it on video and the same car is parked next to you. Then you gotta wait for the owner too its a headache. Most of the time its impossible to prove and not worth taking up to small claims or insurance. If I did catch some one red handed and they refused. I'd probably just kick their door in lol. Actually I don't know what I would do in my fit of rage maybe key the car or slash some tires.
Lol that's true. However with BC's crown operated ICBC, as long as you have evidence (dash cam footage that would record sound of the incident + photo of your car in relation to the other parties including the plates), there is no need to wait around for the owner. ICBC can usually process the comprehensive claim as they are able to go after the suspect based on it. Many here have went down that route and it worked out for them. Of course that is a hit or miss (no pun intended.)

Of course at the end of the day, is it worth it to go back for $200 (it cost closer to that, because it was dinged at the top and bottom)? Probably not. The chances are slim anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #22
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
This is quite literately one of my worst nightmares (first world problems I know)

I always park far away/in the back of a lot or with my drivers side to an end so no one can park next to/dent that side of the car.