F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Got Flashed in the
proTUNING Freaks

12-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #45
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
\o/ Yay!
I was not really sweating but having NO points on my licence and this threat has made me more aware of my speed for sure.
      12-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #46
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I've only got done once in the last 5 years or so but the feckers gave me 5 points and a £300 fine because I lost the ticket I actually found the ticket only last week, nearly 18 months too late, going through an old pile o' junk. Gave me a wry chuckle
      12-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #47
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've only got done once in the last 5 years or so but the feckers gave me 5 points and a £300 fine because I lost the ticket I actually found the ticket only last week, nearly 18 months too late, going through an old pile o' junk. Gave me a wry chuckle
Yea it can be a pain when your speed in a modern car does not relate to the draconian limits.
      12-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #48
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
I currently have 9 points on my licence - 1 x speeding & 2 x using a mobile phone.

1 speed awareness course taken last week and 1 more speeding ticket in the system.

Luckily 6 of my points are from late 2007 so shouldn't count now.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #49
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF64 View Post
I currently have 9 points on my licence - 1 x speeding & 2 x using a mobile phone.

1 speed awareness course taken last week and 1 more speeding ticket in the system.

Have you just been "unlucky" or what?.
Do you do loads of miles per year?.
      12-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #50
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:

At least you have bluetooth now
      12-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #51
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine was such a stupid, stupid way to get caught too. I'm usually very hot about speed limits that are 50mph or below and tend to mostly ignore national speed limits on open roads. It was summer last year or around then and I'd set off for Birmingham in my car. Literally on the street next to mine, just heading a 1/4 mile down to the main lights in Donington, I heard a funny noise coming from what I thought was the passenger footwell. It was a kind of PSSSSSSS noise on the throttle, then a SHHHHHH noise off the throttle. Now bear in mind that I was in the middle of tinkering and modifying the car so one gets somewhat sensitive to every noise in the car Anyh00 - I drove down to the lights thinking "wtf is that?" just gently going on and off the throttle and getting PSSSSS SHHHHH as I did so. I was first in the queue at the lights and fiddling with my laptop bag which was in the passenger footwell and wondering what could be making the noise. The lights went green and I was literally already in third gear by the time I'd turned right and into 4th by about 25mph - just so I could gently go on and off the throttle up the hill to find this noise. So I did. On. Off. On. Off. On. Blue flashing lights in me wing mirror. Now you gotta remember that I'm leaning down into the footwell at this point with only my head just above the dash so I can see where I'm going and it's a totally clear road ahead. I saw the lights; looked over at the dash and saw somewhere north of 50mph. This road is about 8 cars' width, no parked cars, houses set another 10 yards back from the pavement and it's wiiiiide: but it's a 30mph limit. Bugger. The great irony is that I'd just worked out that the stupid noise was literally bouncing hiss from the speakers as my laptop bag was rocking back and forward in front of the main woofer as I went on and off the throttle! What a spanner!

But that's not the best of it. Mr Babylon came over with a typical "Do you know why I've stopped you, sir?" and off I trotted to join him in the back of his car. I explained the ludicrousness of what had happened and said "fair cop, gov" but please understand why it happened and please don't think I was blatantly speeding. He said "At least that explains why you didn't see us then" to which I responded with a puzzled look. "We were behind you at the lights, ya eedjut" Then he showed me the video. There I was rummaging in my footwell, waiting at the lights, with a fully battenberged, day-glo 5 series behind me The lights go green, I pull away gently then proceed to disappear up the hill with the coppers somewhat incredulously flipping on their blues n twos and following me in genuine shock

To be fair to the coppers, they found the whole thing quite funny, said how it was easy to go quick in such a car (actually knew what an MPS was which is rare - seems he was a car nut) and was prepared to give me a fixed penalty notice even though he'd clocked me at 55 in a 30 and should have handed it over to the courts. At which point I promptly lost the ticket and went ... to the courts

A moment's lack of observation, Babylons in the wrong place at the wrong time, losing the ticket and there you have it: 5 points and £300
      12-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #52
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine was such a stupid, stupid way to get caught too. I'm usually very hot about speed limits that are 50mph or below and tend to mostly ignore national speed limits on open roads. It was summer last year or around then and I'd set off for Birmingham in my car. Literally on the street next to mine, just heading a 1/4 mile down to the main lights in Donington, I heard a funny noise coming from what I thought was the passenger footwell. It was a kind of PSSSSSSS noise on the throttle, then a SHHHHHH noise off the throttle. Now bear in mind that I was in the middle of tinkering and modifying the car so one gets somewhat sensitive to every noise in the car Anyh00 - I drove down to the lights thinking "wtf is that?" just gently going on and off the throttle and getting PSSSSS SHHHHH as I did so. I was first in the queue at the lights and fiddling with my laptop bag which was in the passenger footwell and wondering what could be making the noise. The lights went green and I was literally already in third gear by the time I'd turned right and into 4th by about 25mph - just so I could gently go on and off the throttle up the hill to find this noise. So I did. On. Off. On. Off. On. Blue flashing lights in me wing mirror. Now you gotta remember that I'm leaning down into the footwell at this point with only my head just above the dash so I can see where I'm going and it's a totally clear road ahead. I saw the lights; looked over at the dash and saw somewhere north of 50mph. This road is about 8 cars' width, no parked cars, houses set another 10 yards back from the pavement and it's wiiiiide: but it's a 30mph limit. Bugger. The great irony is that I'd just worked out that the stupid noise was literally bouncing hiss from the speakers as my laptop bag was rocking back and forward in front of the main woofer as I went on and off the throttle! What a spanner!

But that's not the best of it. Mr Babylon came over with a typical "Do you know why I've stopped you, sir?" and off I trotted to join him in the back of his car. I explained the ludicrousness of what had happened and said "fair cop, gov" but please understand why it happened and please don't think I was blatantly speeding. He said "At least that explains why you didn't see us then" to which I responded with a puzzled look. "We were behind you at the lights, ya eedjut" Then he showed me the video. There I was rummaging in my footwell, waiting at the lights, with a fully battenberged, day-glo 5 series behind me The lights go green, I pull away gently then proceed to disappear up the hill with the coppers somewhat incredulously flipping on their blues n twos and following me in genuine shock

To be fair to the coppers, they found the whole thing quite funny, said how it was easy to go quick in such a car (actually knew what an MPS was which is rare - seems he was a car nut) and was prepared to give me a fixed penalty notice even though he'd clocked me at 55 in a 30 and should have handed it over to the courts. At which point I promptly lost the ticket and went ... to the courts

A moment's lack of observation, Babylons in the wrong place at the wrong time, losing the ticket and there you have it: 5 points and £300
A combination of "wrong place wrong time".
I have some stories for another time, they will make you laugh.
      12-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #53
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Have you just been "unlucky" or what?.
Do you do loads of miles per year?.
Not sure if it's unlucky or lucky as I had 9 points which elapsed 2 or 3 months before I started totting this 9 up.

My mileage has dropped over the last 10 years from 30-35k a year to 10-12ish.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #54
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
At least you have bluetooth now
I had bluetooth in the E60's but it was so bad I kept switching it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #55
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if it's unlucky or lucky as I had 9 points which elapsed 2 or 3 months before I started totting this 9 up.

My mileage has dropped over the last 10 years from 30-35k a year to 10-12ish.
Wait till you get the 330D that is tempting fate with that performance on tap.
      12-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #56
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
I cant think whats worse, not having the car yet or having the car on the drive and not being able to drive it ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #57
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Requires some will power, that's for sure; as well as looking behind and all around you constantly!! I've only (touch wood) had 3 points for motorway speeding, in my MINI about 5 years ago (just got fully wiped off from insurance this time, and insurance went down by £600 (to £950) which is the sort of money I'm just not used to paying for insurance, nice bonus!!), despite having a MINI Cooper S Works after that, 335d and 135i. My friends Mum has currently got 9 points on her license, despite driving a battered old Volvo that I wouldn't think would be capable of speeding!! It's surprising how many get caught in actually very slow cars; just not got their wits about them, or rushing around e.g. on the school run/ferrying kids around, I suppose???
      12-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #58
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's been my life for the last 20 years I get 3 points and within a couple of months of them coming off my license, I get three more. Rinse and repeat. Literally happened for ... four, five cycles now? This last escapade is the first time I've had more than 3 point on my license.
      12-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #59
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I cant think whats worse, not having the car yet or having the car on the drive and not being able to drive it ?
I would think the latter; I've had some scary moments like John (waiting for post) over the years, each time usually with a new car; doesn't bear thinking about!!
      12-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #60
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I ALWAYS have my Road angel ON, have had the power cable transferred from car to car, this time however I'm in a tunnel no signal no warning
Reminder of "use your brain" in stead of technology.
Must be old age creaping up on me.
      12-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #61
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Never bothered with a Road Angel. My SatNav has always told me about speed cameras. Which, now I come to think of it, I don't think the bimmer has ever done

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing for "warn me of impending speed cameras"?
      12-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #62
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Never bothered with a Road Angel. My SatNav has always told me about speed cameras. Which, now I come to think of it, I don't think the bimmer has ever done

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing for "warn me of impending speed cameras"?
Nope, sadly not; I guess the legality of that is different in different countries?
      12-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #63
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mutha f ... So my £2000 BMW SatNav isn't as good as my £60 Navigon App on my telephone?

Bag'o'wank that. I'm still not buying a RoadAngel. I cannot abide wires everywhere and toys stuck to me dash or screen. If I could have stomached that, I'd not have ordered Pro NAV and stuck with my Navigon
      12-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #64
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

My days of living in and working in London are long gone, but my daughter works in Canary Wharf, so I need to go into london again now, the speed limits jump from 30 through to 50MPG in ONE road, you can easy get done in one mile!!!!!, is this done to discourage driving?, maybe, but the road angle never misses the changes ( outside tunnels that is ).
So it's worth it to me.
Also places you do not know are full of scammeras.
      12-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #65
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I've used SatNav apps on phones for the last decade or so though and they've always done speed cameras. Genuinely shocked that my £42k speed-ticket generator doesn't know where they are
      12-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #66
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The 135i was my first BMW with iDrive (it was a car already on order rather than to my spec, as I needed it sooner), always passed on it before as I figured it was a lot of money for something my iPhone can mainly do. Having it for a day made my realise I would never be ordering a car without it again - it really transforms the interior of the car, and it's so nice having it inbuilt and not faffing around with wires/sticking to the windscreen etc. The assignable shortcut buttons (which you can assign to anything, and you can hover over them to see what function is assigned, before pressing!) are brilliant, really quick.

So I think you will soon forget about the speed camera issue I usually only have issues with mobile ones anyway, which are wrong a lot of the time of TomToms etc. anyway.