F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Help please on how to break in a Diesel engine N47T on a brand new F30 320d
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
yannisap
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Help please on how to break in a Diesel engine N47T on a brand new F30 320d

I am about to pick up my brand new F30 320d with sport automatic transmission. Since this is my first diesel car, my first automatic car and my first BMW I appreciate any hints and tips on how to break in the engine, the gearbox and the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannisap View Post
I am about to pick up my brand new F30 320d with sport automatic transmission. Since this is my first diesel car, my first automatic car and my first BMW I appreciate any hints and tips on how to break in the engine, the gearbox and the brakes.
I am in the same position as you. My advice to you and myself: treat it as if it was a virtuous creature. Don't brake or accelerate to hard for the first 800-1000 miles. Break it in slowly and it'll give you a long and satisfying service. As they say in my countree: Slowly, slowly catchee the monkey!

Where is AGR, please?
      11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
yannisap
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Athens Greece
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Athens Greece
Kalispera!
      11-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Good news - do nothing!

I'm on my 3rd high pressure diesel car now (to be fair first BMW), never even thought about the first one until several hundred miles of driving and someone else pointed out I wasn't treating it like a new car... it was fine. And stayed fine for two years when it was swapped. So treated the next 2 the same way. There is a pretty big clue in that I can't remember the last time I heard anyone buying any new car to run it in, or how.

Somewhere on here a mechanic gave full breakdown of why it doesn't matter these days - I can't remember the techie stuff but it all boiled down to manufacturing processes being so accurate now that there is nothing really to 'wear in'.

Conversely, if you drive any modern engine gently for any extended period you will start to see a drop in performance that is only reclaimed by a much greater period of high rev, sporty driving or lots of well prescribed engine cleaning additives. So really, it's best just to drive the car in the spirit it was conceived. In the case of the 320d, that spirit is surely a mix of low rev cruising and punchy red-line blasts on quieter roads
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Warm it up nicely and don't take it over 5000rpm
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Good news - do nothing!

I'm on my 3rd high pressure diesel car now (to be fair first BMW), never even thought about the first one until several hundred miles of driving and someone else pointed out I wasn't treating it like a new car... it was fine. And stayed fine for two years when it was swapped. So treated the next 2 the same way. There is a pretty big clue in that I can't remember the last time I heard anyone buying any new car to run it in, or how.

Somewhere on here a mechanic gave full breakdown of why it doesn't matter these days - I can't remember the techie stuff but it all boiled down to manufacturing processes being so accurate now that there is nothing really to 'wear in'.

Conversely, if you drive any modern engine gently for any extended period you will start to see a drop in performance that is only reclaimed by a much greater period of high rev, sporty driving or lots of well prescribed engine cleaning additives. So really, it's best just to drive the car in the spirit it was conceived. In the case of the 320d, that spirit is surely a mix of low rev cruising and punchy red-line blasts on quieter roads
Sorry but you are not the right one to tell him itīs ok he can drive it how he wants, NOTHING will show after only two years. You donīt know for how long heīs gonna keep it so you really should think further before answering.

To the OP, yassou!
Follow your manual. It tells you everything you need to know. Bascially you shouldnīt rev it over a certain limit, no idea what that limit is for the diesel, but donīt drive it like an old lady either. Donīt stay on konstant revs for too long, drive dynamically. ALWAYS let the oil get warm before u drive it harder. And if you plan to keep it for a long time it wouldnt hurt changing the oil after the initial break in (~2000 km). A lot of metal shaving in it that u can do without.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
pete18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

First class answer.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

don't turn on the A/C which is more load on engine, don't idle your engine too much on a cold start run it for a 1 min. then your ready to go, don't maintain same low rpm while driving it's more engine load and don't pass 3 rpm try to stay below, do that for 1500 miles and your car will be fine
Appreciate 0