F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F36 NBT EVO (ID6) with MMI and G30 10.25 screen restart issue
Studio RSR

04-20-2023, 04:32 AM   #1
andymcn
Rep
Drives: F36 320d M Sport

F36 NBT EVO (ID6) with MMI and G30 10.25 screen restart issue

I have been using a Droid UK MMI box with my F36 for a while with no problems.

Recently I decided to upgrade my 8.8 screen to 10.25 and purchased a 5 series G30 NBT EVO ID6 10.25CID (PN: 8715339).

After installing and coding it the new screen works 100% when Im using the ID6 interface.

However, I get random reboots of the BMW head unit when using the MMI interface for Android Auto. The MMI goes blank for a few seconds but if I go back to the BMW ID6 interface it shows that it is rebooting. I have the following trouble codes set.

Name:  DTCs.png
Views: 432
Size:  57.7 KB

So far I have replaced the LVD cable but it hasn't helped.

I wonder if the CID coms check is triggering the reboots. Maybe this can be disabled...?

Has anyone else experienced this or know where I go next?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
maxzor78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 xdrive 2017

Hi, I've got exactly the same issue with my MMI box. Did you find any solutions? Thanks Max
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
PRNOBuffer
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcn View Post
I have been using a Droid UK MMI box with my F36 for a while with no problems.

Recently I decided to upgrade my 8.8 screen to 10.25 and purchased a 5 series G30 NBT EVO ID6 10.25CID (PN: 8715339).

After installing and coding it the new screen works 100% when Im using the ID6 interface.

However, I get random reboots of the BMW head unit when using the MMI interface for Android Auto. The MMI goes blank for a few seconds but if I go back to the BMW ID6 interface it shows that it is rebooting. I have the following trouble codes set.

Attachment 3160374

I wonder if the CID coms check is triggering the reboots. Maybe this can be disabled...?

Has anyone else experienced this or know where I go next?

I think problem is in your MMI box. Or it cant work with G30 display. Or , you can check what version of DIsplay is you use. I can got MGU display which is different from NBT EVO
So far I have replaced the LVD cable but it hasn't helped.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #4
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

"I wonder if the CID coms check is triggering the reboots. Maybe this can be disabled...?"

I think this is likely. I only have an NBT HU with an MMI, and seems like the MMI boots up before the car's HU does power up. And the MMI as part of its normal routine disconnects the HU's signal to the HU and substitutes its own signal to the screen. So, the car's HU or the network thinks that there is a break.

I do not have MOST (do no know if EVO has), but I had similar CID errors and I added a fiber optic loop ($5 on Aliexpress) between the two HU MOST ports and the CID errors went away. Of course, there are still the CAN signals that can result in errors if interfered by the MMI's somehow.

The Chinese who write the firmware for the MMI should start paying attention and wise up and add a delay in booting up the MMI and allow the car's HU to boot up first. This could eliminate a lot of the random issues.

Last edited by fe7565; 07-16-2023 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:26 AM   #5
andymcn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxzor78 View Post
Hi, I've got exactly the same issue with my MMI box. Did you find any solutions? Thanks Max

Unfortunately not. I've now gone back to my original display but am still having the issue although not as frequently.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:33 AM   #6
andymcn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
"I wonder if the CID coms check is triggering the reboots. Maybe this can be disabled...?"

I think this is likely. I only have an NBT HU with an MMI, and seems like the MMI boots up before the car's HU does power up. And the MMI as part of its normal routine disconnects the HU's signal to the HU and substitutes its own signal to the screen. So, the car's HU or the network thinks that there is a break.

I do not have MOST (do no know if EVO has), but I had similar CID errors and I added a fiber optic loop ($5 on Aliexpress) between the two HU MOST ports and the CID errors went away. Of course, there are still the CAN signals that can result in errors if interfered by the MMI's somehow.

The Chinese who write the firmware for the MMI should start paying attention and wise up and add a delay in booting up the MMI and allow the car's HU to boot up first. This could eliminate a lot of the random issues.

Thanks for this. On the EVO I do have fiber going to both of the MOST inputs already. Will check them and both CVS cables when I next get the car dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:20 PM   #7
maxzor78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 xdrive 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcn View Post
Unfortunately not. I've now gone back to my original display but am still having the issue although not as frequently.
Hi friend, any news on this issue? I'm still having the same issues, and I read a lot that could be the hard drive?
Appreciate 0