F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Jerez day three - Heidfeld fastest on Renault debut
Studio RSR

02-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Jerez day three - Heidfeld fastest on Renault debut

Unofficial Saturday test times from Jerez:
1. Nick Heidfeld, Renault, 1:20.361, 86 laps
2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:20.493, 131
3. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:21.054, 114
4. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:21.099, 36
5. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:21.242, 84
6. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:21.574, 98
7. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 1:21.681, 92
8. Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus, 1:21.711, 61
9. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:22.227, 99
10. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:22.945, 64
11. Jerome d’Ambrosio, Virgin, 1:25.471, 72

Nick Heidfeld staked his claim for Robert Kubica’s Renault seat on Saturday by topping the times on his debut for the team in testing at Jerez. Heidfeld, who raced for Sauber last season, edged out Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso to go fastest of the 11 drivers in action in Spain. Friday pacesetter Michael Schumacher was third quickest for Mercedes GP, over half a second down on Alonso and less than a tenth ahead of McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton.

Heidfeld, who is being considered as Renault’s long-term stand-in for the injured Kubica, helped the team appraise a new floor upgrade on the R31, as well as carrying out Pirelli tyre evaluations.

“I really enjoyed the day,” said the German. “It was fun driving the car, although it obviously takes time to get used to things when it’s your first time in a car and working with a new team. We had a good day, without too many problems, and luckily all the changes we made to the car went in the right direction and improved things, so I was able to push harder and harder.

“In terms of the lap times, it’s very difficult for me to compare with the other teams because we don’t know the fuel levels or what the others were doing. My first impressions of the car were positive, although there are always areas where you can improve.”

At the wheel of Ferrari’s new F150th Italia, Alonso went through a similar programme to the one that team mate Felipe Massa completed on Friday. Running with an image of friend Kubica’s helmet on his own, the Spaniard worked on tyre comparisons in the morning and long runs in the afternoon. He will continue in the car on Sunday.

Schumacher’s Mercedes programme included systems checks with the adjustable rear wing, tyre evaluations and development work on the balance of the MGP W02 over longer runs.

"At the end of my two test days in Jerez, I can only be happy with what we have achieved here,” said Schumacher, who hands over to Nico Rosberg for Sunday’s final day at Jerez. “Once again today, we completed a lot of mileage, and with the exception of some smaller issues, we ran very well which enables us to steadily progress with our testing programme. This is exactly what you want at this period of time."

A shortage of spares for McLaren’s new MP4-26 meant Hamilton was only able to record 36 laps. While this hampered the team’s running, on-the-spot repairs were effected, and the relevant new components will be delivered overnight ahead of Sunday’s running with Jenson Button. Despite the lack of mileage, McLaren were pleased with progress in terms of set-up and understanding tyre performance.

Sauber had another productive session, with Kamui Kobayashi fifth fastest. “After not having been at the wheel in Valencia for a long time, today was Kamui’s first day of proper testing with the C30 and the latest Pirelli tyres,” reported technical director James Key. “We have been running on used tyres and did some general set-up work, but actually not a huge amount of performance work.

“In the morning we did general mechanical work and set up changes, checking directions we found when Sergio (Perez) was driving. In the afternoon we also tested some new development items and concentrated on longer runs, which in the end were cut short due to an engine problem. We are also looking forward to a full test programme for tomorrow.”

Sebastian Vettel clocked the sixth-fastest time as he took over Red Bull’s RB7 from team mate Mark Webber. “Testing has gone well today,” said the world champion. “It’s quite tricky with the rear wing; it acts in a similar manner to the F-duct last year, so naturally, as a driver, you want to use it as much as you can. When the tyres go off, it’s not as easy to use as when the tyres are fresh, but you get used to it. KERS is not so easy to use, but again it’s a case of getting used to it - its practice in the end.”

Sebastien Buemi returned to the Toro Rosso cockpit for the first time since last week’s Valencia test and went seventh in the STR6. In the morning, Buemi worked on a tyre comparison, trying Pirelli’s modified medium compound and, for the first time, the hard. His afternoon programme featured aerodynamic testing and a long run, although the latter was compromised by some red flags and the fact that the car stopped with around ten minutes of the session remaining.

Heikki Kovalainen set an encouraging seventh-fastest time for Lotus as he took over the T128 from team mate Jarno Trulli. The Finn also reported positive results from tests with the new moveable rear wing in simulated race conditions.

“Today was very encouraging and I really enjoyed driving the car,” said Kovalainen. “I still have the same feeling that I had in Valencia - it's fundamentally a good car and there's a lot more to come from it. We managed to make very good progress today, even though we had a problem with the exhaust we still managed to get through most of the programme. The guys worked well to fix the problem, and by the end of the day we had made a number of setup changes, run through all the tyre compounds and had run on a variety of fuel loads.

“This morning we tried the DRS (Drag Reduction System) in race mode and even though I had thought the procedure to initiate it might be pretty complicated it actually all worked easily. Once you get used to it the system is pretty simple. I used it in both race and practice mode and it returns to position well so I have no problems under braking and am very happy with how it all works. By the time the day ended we finished right in the mix so we're all pretty happy with the day's work.”

Rubens Barrichello was ninth for Williams after close to 100 laps in the new FW33. “After a couple of setup runs this morning we had a problem with the KERS onboard cooling system,” explained technical director Sam Michael. “We had to stop and remove some components to ensure the car was safe, and that cost us three hours. In the afternoon we made good progress with the aero set-up on long runs, with Rubens generating some good data for the wind tunnel.”

New Force India driver Paul di Resta was tenth as he got his first run in the team’s VJM04. “Today was really about me getting used to the new car, plus getting as much information about the new tyres and set-up options as possible,” said the Scot. “We've still got a bit of work to do, but today was about determining the right way to go.

“We did find that there were a couple of issues with getting temperature in the brakes on some set-ups, and on the final run of the day I locked up into turn nine and went off into the gravel. Overall I think we can be fairly positive with the progress we've made over the past couple of days and have a good idea of where we can go tomorrow.”

Completing the timesheets was rookie Jerome d’Ambrosia, getting his first outing in Virgin’s 2011 car. “I was really looking forward to today and it’s fantastic to finally be driving the new car,” said the Belgian. “I was able to complete many laps and spend a lot of time in the car, which is what testing is all about. I am quickly getting used to driving the MVR-02 and tomorrow I hope we can continue to gather plenty of useful data to help us to continue moving forward.”

Testing will continue at Jerez on Sunday.
      02-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Heidfeld looked good in that car.

Looks like he will get the drive if he can keep performances like that up.

Good job Nick!
      02-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Looking forward to seeing Heidfeld in an competitive car again.
      02-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I hate seeing Kubica hurt. He's a class act and a great driver. But it's good to see Heidfeld back. I bet he makes the most of this chance. And I bet he consistently outqualifies Petrov.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I hate seeing Kubica hurt. He's a class act and a great driver. But it's good to see Heidfeld back. I bet he makes the most of this chance. And I bet he consistently outqualifies Petrov.
True Dat. Kubica has always been one of my favorites. It seems like a long shot but I am hoping he will be back in an F1 car again.
      02-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

I hate the fact that Kubica actually had a car that can match his abilities and now he cant compete.
      02-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
I hate the fact that Kubica actually had a car that can match his abilities and now he cant compete.
very true. i remember F1 drivers saying in interviews that he and alonso have the most raw talent out there right now and both needed cars that they can work with. after that we saw how well alonso did when he got the chance. very anxious to see how well kubica does in return
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Ugh, as happy as I am for Heidfeld, I am so mad that it's not Kubica. It would be great to see Kubica and Heidfeld pair up in competitive cars instead of watching Petrov fumble around the track like it's bumper cars.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
i just hope Kubica will be back next year, happy for Heidfeld, hes a good guy and a great drives, best of luck to both
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I would like to see Heidfeld get the drive, Have Petrov do as he usually does and drive terribly, and when Kubica gets back in 2012 have the lineup be Kubica and Heidfeld.
      02-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
the russians just made a huge investment in F1 so I don't think petrov is going anywhere soon. he did suck the whole year but his driving in the last race won him some respect. had to love the frustration with alonso not being able to pass him
      02-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
very true. i remember F1 drivers saying in interviews that he and alonso have the most raw talent out there right now and both needed cars that they can work with. after that we saw how well alonso did when he got the chance. very anxious to see how well kubica does in return
+1.

I don't know if this year's Renault will be race-winning, but all signs point to it being a better car than last year's.

More importantly, it seemed like Ferrari was getting ready to bring Kubica over in place of Massa next season (2012). It makes sense: Kubica can give Alonso a run for his money, he's low maintenance, and he gets along very well with Alonso. That would have been a hell of an opportunity for him
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Renault confirm Heidfeld as Kubica stand-in

Quote:
Renault have announced that Nick Heidfeld has joined the team, taking over driving duties from the injured Robert Kubica, starting at this week’s test session in Barcelona. It follows his evaluation at Jerez last week.

The 33-year-old German is one of the most experienced drivers in Formula One, having started 172 races over the last 11 seasons. He will race alongside Vitaly Petrov when the new season gets underway in Bahrain on March 13.

“I would have liked to come back to Formula One in different circumstances, but I’m proud to have been given this chance,” said Heidfeld. “Everything has happened so quickly, but I’ve been very impressed by what I have seen so far in terms of the facilities and the dedication of the people at Enstone.

“I really enjoyed the test last week in Jerez and I’ve already settled in well with the guys at the track. I have a good feeling for the car, which is quite innovative. I’m extremely motivated and can’t wait for the season to begin.”

Renault team principal Eric Boullier commented: “The team has been through a very difficult couple of weeks and we had to react quickly. We gave Nick a chance in Jerez last week and he really impressed us. He’s quick, experienced and is very strong technically with his feedback and understanding of the car.

“We always said the priority was to have an experienced driver in the car and we feel he is the ideal man for the job. We are pleased to welcome Nick to the team and look forward to a strong start to the season with him and Vitaly in Bahrain.”

This week’s four-day test at Spain’s Circuit de Catalunya begins on Friday. Heidfeld will be at the wheel of Renault’s R31 on Saturday and Monday, with Petrov in the car on Friday and Sunday.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...1/2/11750.html