F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > is it possible to smoke tires with automatic?
ARMA SPEED

02-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #23
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgthedonny View Post
My 340i is the first automatic car I have ever owned, is it possible to smoke the tires in an automatic? and how :|
Do you have all season, winter or ultra high performance summer tires? I have the 19" rims with the summer tires so it takes more effort to smoke them as the grip like no one's business. I prefer that so I an have great launches at the stop light with no wheel spin, loads of grip instead of looking like a complete jackass smoking the tires with lots of noise and being slower as a result. I have a RWD car, might be harder to do with x-drive as far as smoking the tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

With DSC off [hold traction button 10 secs] you can bounce off the limiter [won't up shift] / smoke tires all day long.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #25
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalazF30 View Post
I smoked the tires on my 320i when I was gonna get new tires

What I did was keep it in comfort and turn off DSC (hold traction control button for a few seconds) and then I had my left foot on the brake all the way and then I put my right foot on the gas pedal and revved it up high and then I would take my foot off the brake slowly

This has worked in every automatic I've owned (minus my old 4x4 chevy Silverado lol)
think thats called 'power-braking'.

I always recommend putting it in neutral and then redlining it and then put it Drive with DSC off,etc. That'll do a burnout. (once).

(that process is called neutral slamming). And don't do it if you like your car.
      02-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #26
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Trying to show off to your high school friends?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8220.50
      02-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
OP is asking about the 340i. You can have wheel spin in launch control mode because it lets you set the launch rpm and the system has to learn the road characteristics and will improve the launch with subsequent launches. Different roads and weather conditions can affect the launch control but the fact remains you will likely have less wheel spin than without launch control.
If you're talking about the F8x's launch control system, it is a very simple (dumb) launch control system.
It does not learn anything (unlike say the GTR's).
It's essentially there to provide a way of dropping the clutch from a set RPM.

On the F3x the manual does indeed say that "Launch Control adjusts to the surrounding conditions, e.g., wet pavement, when used again." although I do not know the extent to which it does.

It may just be a matter of seeing wheel spin initially and lowering the launch speed after that.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Real question?

In terms of drag racing 'Mercan cars, Auto 2 speed powerglide. Only 1 shift point going down the track. A lot of Super class cars will shift to high gear around the 60' mark then do a brute hp pull in high gear all the way down the track. Those things smoke like crazy.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #29
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

So many old men on here mad someone wants to have fun. Don't forget to take your centrum silver before bed.

OP, Sports +/DSC off and brake stand. Post vids.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
      02-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgthedonny View Post
My 340i is the first automatic car I have ever owned, is it possible to smoke the tires in an automatic? and how :|
Take this from a 52 year OLD man with a 340i Msport AT, YES you can smoke the rear tires.

Hold down the DSC button until traction and stability controls are completely off.
Press and hold brake pedal with left foot.
Put trans in gear, preferably manual mode, 1st gear.
While holding brake pedal with left foot, press the accel pedal with your other foot, your right foot, that would be your other left.

You will feel the engine RPM rise, and a bit over 2K RPM you will feel the trans lock and the car will feel like it wants to move as the rear end starts to squat down a bit.
Keep your foot on the brake, more pressure on the accel pedal, try around 3000RPM, and then release the brake pedal and keep the accel pedal mashed down.
You'll do a hard smoky launch. If you want harder launch and/or smokier tires, then try a higher RPM before releasing the brake.

Now, if you want to do an old-school style burnout, where you're not really accelerating forward very much but the rear tires are spinning and smoking, that's a bit different.
BMW's, and most cars in general, do not have a "line lock", where you can apply full brake force to the front wheel's brakes, so that you can hold the car stationary while the rear tires can freely light up and burn baby burn.
In cars with no line-lock you have to modulate the brake pedal such that the engine power overcomes a light brake pressure at the rear wheels, while there is also enough brake pressure on the front wheels to keep the car from launching fast and hard forward. The car will still move forward because full brake force can not be applied to the front wheels without affecting the rear.
That takes a bit of practice to get a good balance.

You should really only do this on a safe surface and area, like an empty parking lot, or long driveway where you don't merge into traffic.
That's my "old man" coming out.
But trust me, experience and time creates wisdom, which is something that the young do not have a lot of...yet.
You have to have enough self discipline so that you can have the experience and the time to attain that wisdom that you can then give to the youngsters who will surely come after you.

Just to make sure, you do know that doing big smoky burn-outs WILL create great wear on your tires, right?
And, there is also the potential to ruin a tire even though there is still a lot of tread, because you can "shift" a belt or create internal damage in the tire.
This can also create a tire/wheel balance issue where you may need to have a tire or two re-balanced.
I'm not saying those things will happen, but they can happen because they have happened.

And, realize that when doing the "light brake burn out" you are also adding wear to the rear brakes and they will generate a lot of heat.
This happens because there is still brake fluid pressure to the rear pads to the rotors, and the engine power can overcome that light pressure to start the wheels spinning, and as the wheels spin fast there will be a lot of heat generated by the continuous contact for the brake pads to the rotors.
After big smokey burn out using that technique it's a good idea to drive around slowly with no to little brake pressure to let the pads and rotor cool, and to avoid letting the hot pads rest on a single spot on the very hot rotors.

Last edited by RPM90; 02-08-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #31
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Take this from a 52 year OLD man with a 340i Msport AT, YES you can smoke the rear tires.

Hold down the DSC button until traction and stability controls are completely off.
Press and hold brake pedal with left foot.
Put trans in gear, preferably manual mode, 1st gear.
While holding brake pedal with left foot, press the accel pedal with your other foot, your right foot, that would be your other left.

You will feel the engine RPM rise, and a bit over 2K RPM you will feel the trans lock and the car will feel like it wants to move as the rear end starts to squat down a bit.
Keep your foot on the brake, more pressure on the accel pedal, try around 3000RPM, and then release the brake pedal and keep the accel pedal mashed down.
You'll do a hard smoky launch. If you want harder launch and/or smokier tires, then try a higher RPM before releasing the brake.

Now, if you want to do an old-school style burnout, where you're not really accelerating forward very much but the rear tires are spinning and smoking, that's a bit different.
BMW's, and most cars in general, do not have a "line lock", where you can apply full brake force to the front wheel's brakes, so that you can hold the car stationary while the rear tires can freely light up and burn baby burn.
In cars with no line-lock you have to modulate the brake pedal such that the engine power overcomes a light brake pressure at the rear wheels, while there is also enough brake pressure on the front wheels to keep the car from launching fast and hard forward. The car will still move forward because full brake force can not be applied to the front wheels without affecting the rear.
That takes a bit of practice to get a good balance.

You should really only do this on a safe surface and area, like an empty parking lot, or long driveway where you don't merge into traffic.
That's my "old man" coming out.
But trust me, experience and time creates wisdom, which is something that the young do not have a lot of...yet.
You have to have enough self discipline so that you can have the experience and the time to attain that wisdom that you can then give to the youngsters who will surely come after you.

Just to make sure, you do know that doing big smoky burn-outs WILL create great wear on your tires, right?
And, there is also the potential to ruin a tire even though there is still a lot of tread, because you can "shift" a belt or create internal damage in the tire.
This can also create a tire/wheel balance issue where you may need to have a tire or two re-balanced.
I'm not saying those things will happen, but they can happen because they have happened.

And, realize that when doing the "light brake burn out" you are also adding wear to the rear brakes and they will generate a lot of heat.
This happens because there is still brake fluid pressure to the rear pads to the rotors, and the engine power can overcome that light pressure to start the wheels spinning, and as the wheels spin fast there will be a lot of heat generated by the continuous contact for the brake pads to the rotors.
After big smokey burn out using that technique it's a good idea to drive around slowly with no to little brake pressure to let the pads and rotor cool, and to avoid letting the hot pads rest on a single spot on the very hot rotors.
I think the Mustang has a burnout mode that engages only the front brakes. Also, 50's are the new 30's, case in point Dr. Dre is now in his 50's, Emimem is in his mid-to-late 40's as is Snoop, just for perspective. I myself am 41 but feel like I'm younger. . 50 Cent and Pharrell Williams are around my age. Chuck D and Flavor Flav, 50's. Sorry I'm only referencing rappers as it's my genre of music.

Last edited by bimmer456; 02-08-2018 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I think the Mustang has a burnout mode that engages only the front brakes. Also, 50's are the new 30's, case in point Dr. Dre is now in his 50's, Emimem is in his mid-to-late 40's as is Snoop, just for perspective. I myself am 41 but feel like I'm younger. . 50 Cent and Pharrell Williams are around my age. Chuck D and Flavor Flav, 50's. Sorry I'm only referencing rappers as it's my genre of music.
LOL! Yes, I know who all those "older" guys are.

Yes, the Mustang comes with a "line lock".
Of course it is a Pony car that's a fan favorite for drag racers, and the line lock is something cool to give the fans of those cars, the American RWDs with big V8 engines doing smokey burnouts.

I test drove a V8 GT and the 4cyl turbo Mustang.
The turbo Mustang is actually quite nice. In daily driving style and even getting on it once in a while it's very satisfying.
I was much more surprised and impressed at what the 4cyl turbo Mustang could do in comparison to the big V8 GT, as I was expecting more from the V8. But, that was not current and more powerful GT.
I'll have to test drive one of those too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #33
omgthedonny
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340iX

Lol wow didn’t read comments till today, I was asking just to heat up the tires at track night and doing 1/4 mile runs, not for showing off lol

Typically you see the RWD cars do this to get more traction, I used to have a 300zx twin turbo and that helped a lot before launching on 1/4 runs

Sorry I won’t have any videos doing burn outs lol just going to track night

Last edited by omgthedonny; 02-21-2018 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #34
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Doesn't take much to heat the tires. My 555R 315X35 drag radials heat/clean with a short dry burnout by avoiding the bleach box. Not much for smokey burnouts. But then I am old fart to a 500+HP 2250LB car so being old what do I know.

BTW if the tires are not slipping at launch why do you need a burnout?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-22-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #35
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i MPPSK

For you F30 guys who have done burn outs in your cars do both tires spin if you’re going straight? I know we have open diffs unlike the F80’s but in the video posted it looked like both tires spun even sliding to side! Maybe once I’d like to leave two black strips of rubber,if it’s only one tire then I’ll pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #36
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

More fun doing donuts
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #37
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
DSC off should give you an 11 if you can break the tires loose

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #38
scout92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335

for sure
Appreciate 0