F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What kind of d**kery is this?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #23
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

If/when I buy a used car, nearly new, I will be asking have the wheels been refurbished. If they have then either the wheels are changed or I will not buy it.

They aren't fixing them properly just masking to sell the car. Not good enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #24
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

We have a resolution. The dealership is going to refurbish all alloy wheels with this company:

http://www.threesixtyalloys.co.uk

The service manager spoke highly of them. He said he would let me decide whether I wanted to go ahead with them or another company. I agreed. They want the car for 3-4 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I had the same issue, got two new wheels. I woudn't accept a refurb personally as this limits your future repair options.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #26
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
I had the same issue, got two new wheels. I woudn't accept a refurb personally as this limits your future repair options.
I hear you. Three expert opinions suggest the wheel was never recut. All the previous company did was lightly polish the oxidation to mask it and then used cheap lacquer. It is a a cunning repair or should I say cowboy job. I know places that offer a quick fix like this for £30 a wheel face and it only lasts a few months. Measuring the paint depth the lacquer is thin on some areas and on one where it is thick the oxidation beneath has emerged. As they say rust never sleeps. So if they don't address the root cause of course it will happen.

It is such a shame I had to threaten legal action to be heard. Stressful. Just want my wheels sorted and won't go there again.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 01:56 AM   #27
Sam77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 420d Gran Coupe. Gone: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
Had the same on my E92 (AUC). At first service, they changed all four wheels without question (car was less than a year old). When probed, they said it was a known problem. When I got rid of the E92 two years later, the new wheels had gone the same way. I think if your car is BMW AUC and you have a warranty, they are obliged to change them. That is not wear and tear but a known manufacturing issue. Must cost BMW a fortune.
I had exactly the same issue on my E92. Got new wheels under warranty, which then went to worse state than the originals after about 18months, however by that time the car was out of warranty!! I took them in again, after the car was out of warranty (but the wheels were only 18months old) and BM were only willing to pay half for a replacement set. Was going to pursue it more, but then ended up ordering my new car a few weeks later. When the dealer on my new motor was doing a valuation over the phone, when trying to ascertain the condition of the car he asked me if the wheels were corroded as it was a common fault on the diamond cuts!!

In short Bmw know about it- you do get a mixed result from different dealerships but persevere as it's a known problem. Repair was never an option when I was dealing with them. It was replacement or nothing.
Appreciate 0