F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Installed JB4 stage 1 last night, initial thoughts...
GetBMWParts

07-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Installed JB4 stage 1 last night, initial thoughts...

I've only put about 80 miles on the car since install, and it's been about 100 degrees and humid (for Phoenix anyway) the entire time. Not idea weather conditions, and not ideal 91 octane gas.

Install wasn't horrible. The MAF sensor was a bit of a pain to remove, tmap was easy. People who say 2 minutes aren't being realistic for most of us. By the time you get your tools, disconnect the negative battery terminal, do the install/uninstall of the kit and reconnect the battery you're looking at close to 5-10 minutes for most people depending on skill level IMO.

Power gains really started to kick in around 3000rpms (didn't notice much under that) and the sweet spot for the gains seemed to be from 3000-5000rpms. Car seems to fall flat on it's face a bit after 5000rpms gasping for air. I think it's more pronounced with the extra midrange power from the stage 1 kit.

Not sure how much more of a difference I'll feel come cooler weather or more miles on the car, but I wouldn't say the gains are astronomical. Can definitely tell there's a bump in power.....kinda like "adds a grin to your face power the first time" ....not "adds a big smile/gaping mouth open" type of reaction.

First gear is now mostly worthless. Car is able to stick once in 2nd gear. I also felt that high gear/low rpm passing power improved a bit too. For the time/money on this it's a no brainer IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
M.Suka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Amen brother, honest review!
      07-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Good point about the battery disconnection taking time. That probably takes more time than actually installing the unit itself.

Just curious, what exactly caused you issues with one of the sensors? I've installed stage 1 and then 2 more recently and only the stage 2 extra sensor caused me issue since it took me a min or so to figure out how it unplugged.

5-10 mins seems reasonable (it probably takes 5 mins to disconnect/connect the battery).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Good point about the battery disconnection taking time. That probably takes more time than actually installing the unit itself.

Just curious, what exactly caused you issues with one of the sensors? I've installed stage 1 and then 2 more recently and only the stage 2 extra sensor caused me issue since it took me a min or so to figure out how it unplugged.

5-10 mins seems reasonable (it probably takes 5 mins to disconnect/connect the battery).
My map sensor was really tight....wrapped under a cable and the plug didn't come out nearly as easliy as the Tmap.
Appreciate 0