F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > emergency call malfunction? 2016 328i
GetBMWParts

05-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

emergency call malfunction? 2016 328i

Hey all

Found a few threads about it but seems like there isn't a solution that addresses every case. Long story short, my stepdad got a CPO 2016 328i last summer. A few weeks ago it started throwing the error 'emergency call malfunction' and a warning light appears on the dash. It comes and goes for days at at time.

He called the service center and basically was told it's not powertrain and won't be covered by CPO, approx $500 to fix. Kind of dumb, considering that CPOd cars are supposed to essentially be 'brand new' and IMO something like this shouldnt fail in such a short time, but whatever.

Anyway from what I can find, this is related to the telemetry unit in some way. Either it's the 'backup battery' or the entire unit itself which is in the trunk, or under the headliner.

I checked the trunk as per https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...one/1VnYUrc0jT but pretty sure the small box i saw isnt the TCU, so I'm assuming its under the headliner, which seems like a pain to fix yourself. Other threads indicate that even service centers do a terrible job as well, damaging trim and creasing the headliner. Sheesh.

1 - Is there a known 'fix' to this error without spending time swapping out several parts? Some people say it's the backup battery. Others say the entire unit needs to get replaced. And yet others say it's something to do with the SIM card, connected drive, or the shark fin / antenna.
2 - If it is instead related to connected drive subscription, then how's that fixed, or even ascertained? He never paid for this service, but I would assume that if BMW 'turned off' the service (months later) from the previous owner, then it shouldn't be throwing errors like this. (Indeed, I never re-upped that for my car, and I don't get any errors like, and my SOS/GPS/ etc work fine.)
3 - Is it possible to just code this out so the error message just doesn't show?

Thanks for looking
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

OP I wrote a thread about it here...did it a month ago...just replaced my telematics control unit battery in the headliner.

I only broke one small clip...put it in my notes.

Then you clear the codes and you're done. No more annoying message or Yellow warning triangle.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=telematics

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set

Last edited by dmaxdmax; 05-28-2020 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
OP I wrote a thread about it here...did it a month ago...just replaced my telematics control unit battery in the headliner.

I only broke one small clip...put it in my notes.

Then you clear the codes and you're done. No more annoying message or Yellow warning triangle.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=telematics
Thank you very much. Not sure how I missed this thread, guess i didn't sacrifice enough to the 'search gods'... I'll see what my stepdad wants to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #4
Bigzia
Rep
Drives: 2016 x320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumbyButter View Post
Thank you very much. Not sure how I missed this thread, guess i didn't sacrifice enough to the 'search gods'... I'll see what my stepdad wants to do.
Hello. Were you able to resolve this issue? If yes, can you kindly help with how you fixed it? I’m seeing the same issue on my 2016 x320i. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
Nelly
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzia View Post
Quote:
Hello. Were you able to resolve this issue? If yes, can you kindly help with how you fixed it? I’m seeing the same issue on my 2016 x320i. Thanks.
From my experience, you're able to code it out via BimmerCode. I was successful in removing the constant notification on the dash on start up (as well as on the road) however I do still have a CEL that shows. I'm unsure if it's still due to that or another issue I may be having.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #6
Bigzia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hello. Were you able to resolve this issue? If yes, can you kindly help with how you fixed it? I'm seeing the same issue on my 2016 x320i. Thanks.
From my experience, you're able to code it out via BimmerCode. I was successful in removing the constant notification on the dash on start up (as well as on the road) however I do still have a CEL that shows. I'm unsure if it's still due to that or another issue I may be having.
Hello. Thank you for the reply. So you didn't have to replace any parts or backup battery? My code comes and goes intermittently.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
Nelly
Registered
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello. Were you able to resolve this issue? If yes, can you kindly help with how you fixed it? I'm seeing the same issue on my 2016 x320i. Thanks.
Hello. Thank you for the reply. So you didn't have to replace any parts or backup battery? My code comes and goes intermittently.
So far, no I haven't had to replace anything. But then again, I'm still trying to figure out wether or not the CEL that I have is due to the Emergency Call Malfunction or due to something else .. I don't wanna give you false hope nor turn you in the wrong direction. But, I can attest that I have successfully removed that eye sore of a message that pops up on the dash on start up via BimmerCode Expert mode ; if I remember well, it was just a code that needed to be altered & then Voilà ! If anyone else does have an input on the matter, please don't hesitate to correct me !
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #8
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

The coding might eliminate the light, but also, probably, the feature, which might be worth a $50 battery and some aggravation getting to it.

If you're in an accident, the battery for the car disconnects, so the tcu battery powers your call from the car for emergency services. Might help if you're alone and unconscious on a dark, deserted road somewhere.

I just hated seeing the yellow triangle so fixed it. Coding it out seems okay if you can live without the feature.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:36 PM   #9
Bigzia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So far, no I haven't had to replace anything. But then again, I'm still trying to figure out wether or not the CEL that I have is due to the Emergency Call Malfunction or due to something else .. I don't wanna give you false hope nor turn you in the wrong direction. But, I can attest that I have successfully removed that eye sore of a message that pops up on the dash on start up via BimmerCode Expert mode ; if I remember well, it was just a code that needed to be altered & then Voilà ! If anyone else does have an input on the matter, please don't hesitate to correct me !
Where do you see the CEL? If you removed the triangle, does the CEL stay on the dash now?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:56 PM   #10
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
An Emergency Call Malfunction will not cause the check engine light to illuminate. That malfunction can be caused by several issues. I suggest you scan for codes with BimmerLink or similar.

Seeing that you have a 2016, have you had the 4G upgrade performed? If it's truly the battery, BMW will cover the cost when the TCB2 is upgraded. Note-you must have factory navigation for this to be applicable.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8246.00
      03-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #11
Nelly
Registered
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where do you see the CEL? If you removed the triangle, does the CEL stay on the dash now?
Right now, I still have the CEL on my dash board exclusively. All systems go on my IDrive itself though.
The message you would usually see on the dash on startup for the Emergency (see picture attached) is no longer there due to the coding .. To reiterate, I currently still have a CEL on my dashboard however I no longer have the message of the Emergency Call Malfunction neither on my dash or iDrive system.
Picture attached isn't mine btw, car is currently stored so I'm using it as reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 01:46 PM   #12
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I tried to reply to the direct message you sent, but was notified that you can't receive messages.

If applicable, the 4G campaign is offered at no cost, regardless of ownership or warranty. I'd reach out to BMW and see if your car is eligible, although it sounds like it may have only been offered to owners with an active Connected subscription.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...pdf/3G_FAQ.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #13
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep

Just to update everyone on this... it was my stepdad's car. He was ignoring it for a while until the car went in for another repair (oil level sensor) and had the shop take a look at the telemetry thing while it was there.

I believe all they did was disconnect the unit, iirc it was under the headliner (328i), he didn't want or need it. I guess a replacement battery would be the alternative, or possibly the entire unit was bad.

Also, it didn't trigger a CEL, just the SOS malfunction message.

Last edited by CrumbyButter; 03-13-2022 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #14
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
I cant reply to you PM.

Requirement is:

"In order to use the PM system and be a full fledged member of this community, you will have to make 4 post replies and wait 1 hour for your account to be upgraded."

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #15
Bigzia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Quote:
I cant reply to you PM.

Requirement is:

"In order to use the PM system and be a full fledged member of this community, you will have to make [COLOR="Blue"]4 post replies and wait 1 hour[/COLOR] for your account to be upgraded."
Ok, thanks. I'll make the 4 replies.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #16
Bigzia
Rep

Quote:
Just to update everyone on this... it was my stepdad's car. He was ignoring it for a while until the car went in for another repair (oil level sensor) and had the shop take a look at the telemetry thing while it was there.

I believe all they did was disconnect the unit, iirc it was under the headliner (328i), he didn't want or need it. I guess a replacement battery would be the alternative, or possibly the entire unit was bad.

Also, it didn't trigger a CEL, just the SOS malfunction message.
Hi. Do you know where the battery is in a 320i?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I'll make the 4 replies.
PM sent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:03 PM   #18
Estoril_B46
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Hey all, I have the same issue that started about 7 months ago, but it has gotten worse somehow. It used to only show the ‘emergency call malfunction’ warning about once per month. Now it shows the warning and my rear turn signals will not work causing hyper flash. They are LED lci tail lights and should not have this issue. Once the car is restarted everything functions perfectly.
Appreciate 0