F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Why don't more people do Opticoat or CQuartz?
Studio RSR

04-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
tnsguypat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

I went to Mike Phillips detailing school and it was mentioned that There is hardly a difference in quality between the coatings. Some people believe that it is not effective however, it is like that they did not have it applied correctly and that is why it didn't work for them. If you are leasing a car I can understand why it would be more a decision based on if it is worth it or not. It should be applied by a professional because you need to have the car properly polished and decontaminated before application. Prices will vary based on who you have installing it. I believe it is absolutely worth the money and will help prevent minor scratches and will make your car extremely easy to wash and dry. If you want to learn more about how a coating actually works to seal your paint surface feel free to message me with any questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

My car is CQuartzed. I have Jet Black, among one of the worst colours for dreaded swirl marks.

CQuartz is a great alternative to wax or sealant and will last roughly 2 years between applications. After application you need not apply wax or sealant unless you re-polish or buff the car (which WILL remove the coating).

but . . . .

Hi-tech coats like CQuartz are not a magical force fields that protects a car from scratches or even swirl marks. Coatings will limit the degree but not eliminate them (my car is now starting to show swirl marks 1.25 years post application).

A clear bra (3M, Venture shield, etc) is much more significant protection and will help prevent small scratches and swirls on the paint but the clear bra itself will get swirled and scratched. So you end up driving around with perfect paint and swirled bra. You can remove and replace the clear bra but while debates rage about which one is better, both are noticeable. My guess is that as time goes by clear bras will get pretty cheap and even the factory will start to use them.

The best thing about CQuartz or Opticoat is that a pro detailer will go over your car to get out a lot of paint defects. A quality job will last at least two years. If you learn to do it yourself you'll learn it's not easy to detail a car. It's back breaking, time consuming work. That's pretty much what you're paying for.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 04-13-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

The more I research this the more I'm leaning towards having my car properly "prepared" (clay, etc) then getting them to use Sonax PNS.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #26
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
The more I research this the more I'm leaning towards having my car properly "prepared" (clay, etc) then getting them to use Sonax PNS.
Once 2 years goes by I'll likely detail it myself. I've used Sonax chemicals and find them quite good but I'm thinking of going Menerza next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #27
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
As I read more about protecting my upcoming 435 GC, even though it's a lease, it seems like a no brainier to protect with either OptiCoat or Cquartz. Not only will it protect it better but make my life easier for washing.

I'm wondering why the majority of people aren't doing either of these? Is it because you don't feel it's worth it or not as good as some other option? I see a lot of you sealing and waxing regularly with alternative (not as long lasting) products.

I'm legitimately asking to learn more. Educate away!

There are many major benefits to paint coatings, however the real issue is lack of education to consumers. Wax has been the "go-to" for as long as most people can remember... and the honest truth is that most people use wax incorrectly as they think it is an optional product that "just makes the car shiny" when in reality it is a vital part of protecting and maintaining your paint.

Over the years, advances in technology have evolved paint protection from natural waxes, to synthetic sealants, and now to ceramic paint coatings.

While it is true that each of these 3 categories of product all serve the same purpose, they are all considerably different from one another. In the end, no matter how you slice it, there is no denying the fact that paint coatings provide a thicker, stronger, better form of protection than any wax or sealant. I discuss much of this in my article below...

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

Those who do know about paint coatings often struggle to find the reasoning to pay for them when it can be a true investment to have a professional properly clean and prep the car and then install the paint coating. For anyone who has done a thorough cleaning, decontamination, paint correction, surface prep, coating installation, and everything else that is included in a proper exterior detail, you know it is a strenuous task that takes time and skill to accomplish to the highest level. The price tag that comes with these higher end services (often times exceeding $1,000) is daunting to many who do not fully understand the process and instead just think they can go down the street and get a "full detail for $150".... this is truly where the breakdown in education is. The majority of what you are paying for is the labor and knowledge of the detailer doing the work... this is no different than taking your vehicle to the dealer for service. You are paying for the labor and knowledge possessed by the certified mechanic instead of of doing it yourself.

With that being said, this is also something consumers can learn how to do as there are many great coatings available to consumers. The required products and tools will certainly set you aside many hundreds of dollars, however they will last you an incredibly long time and allow you to properly maintain your vehicles (and future vehicles) to the highest level.

Paint coatings are still "new" on the market, having been around for under 10 years, but they are certainly becoming more popular as people learn about their benefits.

We have not applied a sealant or a wax in 2 years now... strictly correction & coatings. This is not because we do not offer a lower cost option which includes a sealant or wax, but it is because I take the time to properly discuss all options with my clients and allow them to decide what is best for them. As I mentioned before, no matter how you slice it, a paint coating is the ultimate form of clear coat protection in this type of market (ie not counting vinyl wraps, clear bra/ppf, etc).

I've done extensive testing on my own vehicles (some going on for ~3 years now), and I'm still impressed with how these coatings perform.

I took these videos while doing an annual checkup on a customer's vehicle. This GT-R is driven daily (except in snow), and the coating is performing as if it was just applied. The owner washes the car ~2 times per month.

If you've got any questions about paint coatings, paint protection, or anything else... please don't hesitate to ask!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #28
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
The day I took delivery of my car, I drove it straight to the place that does the opti coat. As the car was brand new, no paint correction was needed and it took about two hours to do the whole car including the wheels. Very happy about that decision that I made and after almost two years, still in awe of how nice the paint looks. No need to wax and just a simple wash will bring the paint to its original form. Amazing procedure...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #29
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Save your money and but Gtechnique EXO. It is a great product! I have a Carbon Black 435 GC and ever since I applied this product my car is much easier to clean and keep clean. It is also quite easy to apply.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Save your money and but Gtechnique EXO. It is a great product! I have a Carbon Black 435 GC and ever since I applied this product my car is much easier to clean and keep clean. It is also quite easy to apply.
How long does it last and how much?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #31
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

One coating lasts 1-2 years. I paid $60 and still have 3/4 of a bottle left.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #32
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
The day I took delivery of my car, I drove it straight to the place that does the opti coat. As the car was brand new, no paint correction was needed and it took about two hours to do the whole car including the wheels. Very happy about that decision that I made and after almost two years, still in awe of how nice the paint looks. No need to wax and just a simple wash will bring the paint to its original form. Amazing procedure...
+1000 I did the same thing three years ago. Had opticoat 2.0 applied next day. Since my 335i was brand new it didn't need much paint correction but did need some (30 minutes worth).

Three years later water still beads like day one. I paid $500 three years ag and it's worth every penny. I'm turning the car in shortly and will do it again. My advice is do NOT take advice from people who haven't had a car opticoated because they don't have a clue.

Some won't get Opticoat because they're cheap...there, I said it or they don't know or don't understand the value in it. After having it every single one of my cars will get some kind of polymer coating. A total no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #33
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Polishing, waxing/sealing, and weekly maintenance is therapeutic for me. That's why I choose not to use either.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #34
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
Polishing, waxing/sealing, and weekly maintenance is therapeutic for me. That's why I choose not to use either.
Yeah, I prefer to wash, clay, Polish, seal, then wax my cars. I consider it fun and love keeping my car clean.

If I were in the snow belt, I'd consider it to help keep salt and sand off the car. Also don't like what coatings do to the shine of the car.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #35
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
So I tried GTechniq C1 and GTechniq EXO v2 and applied myself.

It set me back $110, plus a total of 2-3 hours labour (after paint correction of course)

My observations:

-3X more expensive if you get it done by detailer, you can buy the set yourself and apply it
-Not any better protecting your paint against swirls and scratches
-Yes, it does bead well, but to certain extent, can be achieved by multiple layers of high quality nanowax like AutoGlym HD wax
-Not as "Glossy" and "Deep" look compared to Menzerna Power Lock, Einszett 1Glanz, or AutoGlym HD wax
-Dirt does not come off any better than any nanowax
-Expensive $$$
-Time consuming to apply
-"durable" and "scratchproof" marketing gimmick lingo, you can scratch your car easily
This is exactly why I have always been against it. There is nothing you can apply to your car that will prevent physical damage short of applying clear bra to the whole exterior. This is snake oil for people who don't know any better and is exactly the same as the dealers warranties in finance, which you are probably better off buying than this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #36
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
What a lot of people don't understand is that these coatings are really only going to MAYBE protect you from instilling the light kinds of swirling that you might get from washing a vehicle, its not some kind of end all be all scratch protection.

My real reason for doing it was protection from the elements and longevity. Wax is useless in my opinion, it doesn't last long and it doesn't protect much, wax isn't what makes your car shiny, its proper prep and good polishing.

I love how easy my washes are with CQuartz, water falls off and it also does a good job at making hard water stains easy to remove in my opinion. Sometimes after it rains, overpasses will drip water at their ends which has tons of minerals and shit in it from the rocks, with the CQ applied I was able to literally just wipe the spots off with no fanfare, where as that would normally take some good rubbing to remove, even with a sealant on.
      12-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #37
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
If I had an M3, maybe. But at this point in my life I'm not willing to drop $5-700 on one of these coatings. I enjoy keeping my car clean and protected, and I feel that the results are just as good, granted I do spend a lot of time on my cars' paint. The one thing I would like is more protection from bird and tree droppings.

I've developed a preference for Adam's products, and maybe they are working on an advanced & easy-to-use coating that will spark my interest and that I could confidently DIY. In the mean time, I am very pleased with their Liquid Paint Sealant in both longevity and depth of shine.

I would like to do more with a clear bra, XPel ultimate I've heard is the best, but I have it in a couple places (trunk sill, mirrors, B-pillars next) and side-by-side the finish is dramatically better without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #38
ArjanRDC
Rep
Drives: E36

If you properly apply coatings, they last. But as said before, these coatings are not magic shields, you can still get scratches and swirls. Properly washing you car will help prevent scratches, swirls and marring. IMO you must learn the proper ways to maintenance wash your vehicle whether you have a coating or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #39
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
As someone who does not have it, the only reason I don't is because 1) I didn't know about it and 2) I don't know who in my area does this. At this point it could be too late, since the car is coming up to its 1 year anniversary. But I wish I did have it.
it's never to late to coat the car, try Rick at Unique in MA.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #40
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'm with you. Sure I grew up waxing a car, and it was fun. That first wash really made the paint pop. But after 2-3 hand washes on those following weeks, how much was really left? Those water spots that dried in the baking sun, don't look good either with wax.

Dust doesn't stick to sealant as much as waxes. You don't have to deal with the look of wax that gets in between the doors or badges. Installing a sealant is just a slower process than waxing.

My biggest gripe is that there's no way that the wax you applied, 2 months ago, is doing anything. Or even exists. As you get older, waxing every other month becomes old. And applying CQuartz doesn't cost $700. Who pays these prices? Do these people pay someone to walk their dog, when they have a 5 acre backyard?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #41
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

I had CQuartz Finest applied to my wife’s new 2016 X6 and since they offered to do the first, or reasonable time frame, wash and spray treatment, dropped it off at the detailers this morning.

I was told they were spraying CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant on the car after washing.

I was under the impression I would only need to wash the car for the next two years and would not need to wax or apply sealants.

Although it looks easy to apply, and there is a car shampoo version HydroFoam as well, I was surprised the detailer recommended using the sealant every other month or so.

Is this a common recommendation for the care and feeding of a CQuartz finest coated car?

I also noticed a CarPro reload spray sealant product is used to maintain CQuartz but it looks a little more difficult to apply.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #42
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity View Post

+1

I also enjoy claying, polishing, and waxing my car. It is indeed therapeutic!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #43
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix
Usually these are applied by professional detailers for a few hundred dollars. I'm sure they're not that hard to apply with a little learning but they can be tricky to apply. You can end up with a lot of streaking and hazing that's almost impossible to remove. I'm leasing too and I don't feel it's worth it since I know I'm returning. BMW is pretty lenient on what kind of damage is allowable on return and it's mostly dents and scratches they care about not minor paint imperfections. If you really want to protect the car a clear bra will be more cost effective as most of the damage from driving comes from rock chips on the front bumper and hood. Neither of those coatings will protect from rock chips and road hazards.
The reason I'm considering doing it is not necessarily to protect the paint for the lease return but rather to have a great looking car that is easy to maintain.

My understanding is that it's both easier to clean and easier to make look great.

I figure $700-1000 is worth it to avoid multiple details throughout the 3 year lease since I can do it once at the beginning and just maintain myself with washes and quick detail spray.
I applied Opticoat to my wife's leased 335i. She drives a ton of miles in nasty conditions and it makes cleanup a breeze. There are other options now (Wolfgang Ceramic, Pinnacle Black Label Diamond) that offer better gloss and depth that I will probably try for my new 340i. On a new car that doesn't have dealer damage you can get away with minimal prep if the car is in good shape.

Looks wise Opticoat is very glassy which isn't my favorite on black. Ease of cleaning makes it worth it to me. These coating really aren't that difficult to apply yourself; tons of videos online to help you.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #44
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Most people just don't give a shit about the paint or even know what a "swirl" or "beading" is.