F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What winters are you running?
Studio RSR

11-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #23
Twenty2Three
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
To be honest I now really don’t think there’s any need for full winter tyres in the UK, yes they’re the best in snow, but they’re actually quite dangerous at braking in warmer conditions, whereas an all season is nearly as good in snow but actually works properly when it’s warmer or dry!

Interesting new video on it here:

Also backed up in this Auto Bild test, the Continental all season actually braked and handled better in snow than the reference winter tyre!

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm
A good watch but honestly "We only get rain 29% of the year"???
is he living in 1976? its rained virtually every day for the past 4 months!
I concur with summers in winter but thats ok for those who don`t need their cars ... the Honda Jazz retired folk.
Perhaps the best option is a good all season but Im not bothered as I dont mind changing them at all come summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #24
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

The picture below is late March early April 2013 and is about 1 mile from my house.

Ok, so we haven't had that kind of snow for the last 3 years now, but in my mind that makes it more likely this year, not less.

I didn't bother clearing the snow off my Jag, summer tyres and rwd, it just stayed put for a week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Quote:
To be honest I now really donÂ’t think thereÂ’s any need for full winter tyres in the UK, yes theyÂ’re the best in snow, but theyÂ’re actually quite dangerous at braking in warmer conditions, whereas an all season is nearly as good in snow but actually works properly when itÂ’s warmer or dry
Says the man who lives in Norfolk. I live on the edge of the Peaks and would not get off my road in summers.

All seasons are ok, on an SUV, but I didn't buy a supposed drivers car, with a pretty powerful engine to be driving round during the summer on All Season tyres.
As that tyre test shows, some all seasons are as good as winters in snow! So why fit winters?

I agree you should have summer tyres in summer though, maybe I didn't make that clear.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #26
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
As that tyre test shows, some all seasons are as good as winters in snow! So why fit winters?
Unfortunately as far as I can see none of the snowflake all season tyres are yet available as runflats. So if you believe in retaining runflats then all season not a runner yet.

With a large percentage of the UK motorway network heeding towards smart with wide apart refuges I becoming more wedded to runflats or the Pirelli self seal tyre (again not available in many formats or sizes yet)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately as far as I can see none of the snowflake all season tyres are yet available as runflats. So if you believe in retaining runflats then all season not a runner yet.

With a large percentage of the UK motorway network heeding towards smart with wide apart refuges I becoming more wedded to runflats or the Pirelli self seal tyre (again not available in many formats or sizes yet)
The vast majority of punctures are slow punctures, so you can still drive to somewhere safe on a non RFT. And the vast majority of instant pressure loss incidents are tyre blow outs, which means you can't drive on even with RFT's!
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      11-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #28
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I agree you should have summer tyres in summer though, maybe I didn't make that clear.
For me the only point of "All Seasons" is clearly there in the name, you need to run them for all seasons, otherwise what is the point? I've clearly stated that I don't want them on during the summer on the type of car I've got, so if I'm only taking my summers off for one season, "winter", why would I bother with "all" seasons.

And I agree on the run flats, I'd rather have the peace of mind, whether it's a placebo or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

For me the only point of "All Seasons" is clearly there in the name, you need to run them for all seasons, otherwise what is the point? I've clearly stated that I don't want them on during the summer on the type of car I've got, so if I'm only taking my summers off for one season, "winter", why would I bother with "all" seasons.

And I agree on the run flats, I'd rather have the peace of mind, whether it's a placebo or not.
No not at all, why not just put all seasons on in winter, so they still stop safely in warmer/dry conditions, but still function like a winter tyre on snowy/icy days?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #30
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No not at all, why not just put all seasons on in winter, so they still stop safely in warmer/dry conditions, but still function like a winter tyre on snowy/icy days?
Because if you read my post I want run flats.

And the one video you've post isn't definitive, I've seen plenty of other data and videos showing comparisons where the All Season comes off significantly worse braking in snowy conditions. That is when I want to stop the most, steep hills round here and I've slid out of control down a few of them, it isn't pleasant.

Also, most of my driving in my car is done early morning and late evening, so very very rare from December to March that I will be driving in the warm.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 11-17-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #31
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
The picture below is late March early April 2013 and is about 1 mile from my house.

Ok, so we haven't had that kind of snow for the last 3 years now, but in my mind that makes it more likely this year, not less.

I didn't bother clearing the snow off my Jag, summer tyres and rwd, it just stayed put for a week.
Got to agree. Maybe it's fine running summer tyres all year if you live on the 'sarf' coast, but get some altitude or north of the Midlands and winters are essential.

I've seen our drive (100 yards long, rural north wales) under 2 feet of snow. Even our old Isuzu Trooper struggled to get out that day, low box and all.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
And the one video you've post isn't definitive, I've seen plenty of other data and videos showing comparisons where the All Season comes off significantly worse breaking in snowy conditions. .
I agree with your comment. There is much more to tyres than simply stating a particular type is "this or that".

Seems so many are hung up on new tyre stopping distances, particularly in the dry. Since when has that been 'the' safety bench mark for a tyre? it is only one of many and could be said to be the one with least risk.

I bang the drum for the performance of part worn tyres, where we all are for most of our driving time on any tyre. Even the wet and dry braking distances are not comparable to a new tyre. Let alone how braking distances change for summer, all season and winter tyres as each category wear down.

For me wet use characteristics are more critical than dry use. Again over the life of the tyre, not just a test on a scrubbed in new tyre with ~8mm of tread. We can get to a point where we can judge our braking on dry surfaces, forgetting the real risk is in wet conditions.

I've read enough data and test reports to know there is much more to tyre use and selection, than how we glean opinion from new tyre/group tests.

There is many a user out there with summer tyres which have excellent braking in the dry on 8mm (even 4mm) of tread, but on a wet surface they may need to add 50% (or more) to their stopping distance, with 4mm of tread.
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Because if you read my post I want run flats.

And the one video you've post isn't definitive, I've seen plenty of other data and videos showing comparisons where the All Season comes off significantly worse breaking in snowy conditions. That is when I want to stop the most, steep hills round here and I've slid out of control down a few of them, it isn't pleasant.

Also, most of my driving in my car isn't done early morning and late evening, so very very rare from December to March that I will be driving in the warm.
Yes it is a bit of a stumbling block that they're not available in many sizes of RFT, similar case for non RFT's really.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #34
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Nokian here. Been great so far for the last 3 years.
      11-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
The Michelins are definitely the ones to get if you want one set of all season tyres for all year round. But for those who switch tyres for winter I think traditional all seasons would be better than winter tyres.
Agreed
Appreciate 1
teaston10993.50
      11-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #36
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

Quote:
To be honest I now really don’t think there’s any need for full winter tyres in the UK, yes they’re the best in snow, but they’re actually quite dangerous at braking in warmer conditions, whereas an all season is nearly as good in snow but actually works properly when it’s warmer or dry!

Interesting new video on it here:

Also backed up in this Auto Bild test, the Continental all season actually braked and handled better in snow than the reference winter tyre!

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm
Definitely this

My Michelin cross climate tyres are unbelievable
Appreciate 1
teaston10993.50
      11-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #37
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I agree with your comment. There is much more to tyres than simply stating a particular type is "this or that".

Seems so many are hung up on new tyre stopping distances, particularly in the dry. Since when has that been 'the' safety bench mark for a tyre? it is only one of many and could be said to be the one with least risk.

I bang the drum for the performance of part worn tyres, where we all are for most of our driving time on any tyre. Even the wet and dry braking distances are not comparable to a new tyre. Let alone how braking distances change for summer, all season and winter tyres as each category wear down.

For me wet use characteristics are more critical than dry use. Again over the life of the tyre, not just a test on a scrubbed in new tyre with ~8mm of tread. We can get to a point where we can judge our braking on dry surfaces, forgetting the real risk is in wet conditions.

I've read enough data and test reports to know there is much more to tyre use and selection, than how we glean opinion from new tyre/group tests.

There is many a user out there with summer tyres which have excellent braking in the dry on 8mm (even 4mm) of tread, but on a wet surface they may need to add 50% (or more) to their stopping distance, with 4mm of tread.
Good point about tyre wear, that's another strong point for the cross climates too, apparently they are supposed to keep a similar performance at around 4mm as new. Be interesting to find out if this is true or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #38
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I have recently put my winter wheel set on which is a square setup; 18” 405m’s 225/45R18 Continental TS830P’s (Run flat).

I am finding that the rears struggle to find traction even in the dry at all temperatures and it feels less stable at speed...not impressed
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:19 AM   #39
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Vredstein Wintrac Extreme S.

Been using this brand for 5 years.
Me too
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #40
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Having had Nokian wr, Dunlop 3d and continental ts850p previously, I’m now trying Goodyear ultragrip gen1’s.
£498 delivered and fitted by the local stealer to my recently purchased 18” 405m square set up for £48.
Impressed so far but waiting for a real test as we get further into the winter.

Last edited by M2Andy; 11-18-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #41
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Bought a set of winter wheels(18" 400M) and tyres that I have not used yet. The tyres are Michelin Alpin Pilot PA4''s that seem to have good reviews. They are non-run flats so bought this for £20 to stick in the boot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #42
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
I have recently put my winter wheel set on which is a square setup; 18” 405m’s 225/45R18 Continental TS830P’s (Run flat).

I am finding that the rears struggle to find traction even in the dry at all temperatures and it feels less stable at speed...not impressed
They take at least a couple of k to fully scrub in mate, so they should get a lot better.

Still nowhere near as good as summer tyres in warmer/dry conditions though as discussed above.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #43
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Bought a set of winter wheels(18" 400M) and tyres that I have not used yet. The tyres are Michelin Alpin Pilot PA4''s that seem to have good reviews. They are non-run flats so bought this for £20 to stick in the boot.
Anyone actually used this or another manufactuer. I need to get one just wonder which people recommend with real use experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #44
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
Anyone actually used this or another manufactuer. I need to get one just wonder which people recommend with real use experience?
I’ve used Holts Tyreweld before (on the wife’s previous mini), which worked great, particularly as it was getting traded in soon (at that time), and the tyre had plenty of tread. With them being runflats, and the car used for only town driving, the few weeks it needed to last came and went with no further issue or loss of pressure. Just deflate the tyre as much as possible, connect, turn the “switch”, wait until all the foam has entered, then drive for several miles. Ideally you inflate to the correct pressure after that drive.

I have a can of this in my boot as back up, as well as the default inflator kit for the MPSS’s on my car.

With the slime kit, don’t you have to remove the valve to enter the slime, before re-inserting a new valve (or the old one), then re-inflating? Seems a bit of a flaf??
Appreciate 0