F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Alignment at Dealer Only?
Studio RSR

02-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
GoodTroll
Rep
Drives: Red 2014 328i Sport Line

Alignment at Dealer Only?

I took my car in for service this morning and the dealer told me that my F30 needs an alignment and that only the dealership can perform the alignment because of the electronic steering. I pushed him on it a bit, explaining that I already have a service plan at an indy shop that transferred from my prior vehicle (my F30 was purchased used a little less than 6 months ago). He told me they can't do it.

This sounded...fishy to me. Especially since he quoted me $400 for the alignment. The 5 year service plan for alignments (as many as I need for 5 years) on my other car cost just $250. What's going on here? Can the alignment not be physically adjusted like on every other vehicle, or is he scamming me?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
He's scamming you. For a "perfect" alignment, weight needs to be added to load the suspension, and they reset the steering angle sensor when the alignment is complete; but any shop can do an alignment and have your car tracking straight and true without issue.

I had mine done at a Tires Plus, rides absolutely perfect for $99...
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
GoodTroll
Rep

So you're saying only the dealership can add weight to load the suspension and reset the steering angle sensor in order to do a "perfect" alignment, but any shop should be able to actually cause it track "straight and true?"

I haven't noticed it pulling at all, nor can I see uneven tire wear, but I watched him measure the tread on a single tire and then he told me it needed the alignment and that only the dealer could do it. Like I said, seemed a little fishy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTroll View Post
So you're saying only the dealership can add weight to load the suspension and reset the steering angle sensor in order to do a "perfect" alignment, but any shop should be able to actually cause it track "straight and true?"
No, I'm saying those are the added steps that BMW dealers swear only they can do. But they are wrong, and you can even find indy shops that do the exact same procedure if you want to.

I'm also saying the exact same procedure is unnecessary unless you are actually experiencing issues. Otherwise, a "normal" alignment does the job perfectly.

Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      02-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
GoodTroll
Rep

Got it. Thanks for setting my mind at ease. You hear stories about how expensive BMWs can be to maintain, but I didn't think I wouldn't have options to go somewhere besides the dealership for something as commonplace as an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTroll View Post

I haven't noticed it pulling at all, nor can I see uneven tire wear, but I watched him measure the tread on a single tire and then he told me it needed the alignment and that only the dealer could do it. Like I said, seemed a little fishy.
I had an 89 535I and it required weights on back, passenger and driver's seat to load suspension for perfect alignment...I went to Home Depot and bought bags of sand sufficient to meet the weight requirement...put towels on the seats and placed the rear and passenger seat bags..drove to the alignment shop I'd used for years..told em to put these two bags of sand on drivers seat and align to specs..cost a fraction of dealer charges at the time...and I had no issues!...Here's the loading spec for F30

32 00 Chassis/wheel alignment - normal position F30
Car loaded down to normal position Vehicle with complete equipment for normal driving with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in centre position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank.

There are some specific instructions for wheel alignment (eg adjust rear camber B4 adjusting rear toe..) that should be followed as well for an in spec alignment...if your Indy shop has access to factory tech info you should be OK...Big if..I've had "alignment shops" that didn't have a clue beyond the basic charts published by their alignment equipment makers...so ask some questions..on the other hand..if you just need the front toe in tweaked to correct some curb bashes causing tire edge wear....you can get that done almost anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
GoodTroll
Rep

Thanks for that detailed info. I'm pretty sure I just need a minor front toe adjustment as it drives pretty much perfect and the only reason I even wondered was the dealership said they were seeing a little uneven edge wear. I'll be taking it into my shop once some work stuff quiets down.

Thanks for all the detailed info. I'll definitely have to try the sand bags at some point.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
trohde78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Wouldn't weighting the seats and trunk with weights make the assumption that the car is generally driven with passengers and luggage? If you don't normally drive with all those things, then your alignment would no longer be "perfect".
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
N52 Moistenor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i RWD

$400 for an alignment. ridiculous. I would never bother getting an alignment ANYWHERE
unless you plan to install some camber plates while you're at it. the camber cannot be adjusted on the front axle meaning your only choice is to buy the plates if you want to properly adjust your alignment. I don't see why you should bother unless you plan to adjust front camber as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Umm, think the local BMW dealer here charged $170.

And yes any good alignment shop can do it. BTW, if they're cool they'll let you sit in the driver's seat while doing it, thus taking into account driver's weight.

Same sit-in-car thing applies when doing corner weighing / adjusting ride height after you've changed the suspension.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
greekd3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i MSPORT

I appreciate this thread, as I just purchased a 2015 335ix and the car always pulls to the right. The dealer where I purchased the car expressed it's likely the wheels needing to be rebalanced. Is this something a typical alignment job addresses?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
1. Wheel balance rarely has any major effect on the car pulling in either direction. Unblanaced wheels will more often create vibrations.

2. An alignment should be able to correct the car pulling to the right, but it depends on what is causing the issue. An alignment should be able to identify that if it is anything else.

3. if you just bought the car (within a couple days), the dealership you bought it from should fix the issue free of charge. I'd speak with the sales or service manager before taking it elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
greekd334.00
      03-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

My dealer does alignment for $180. Indy's should be cheaper. $400 is robbery.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
greekd3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i MSPORT

I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer though. Do you think it still appropriate I ask them to do an alignment for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
1. Wheel balance rarely has any major effect on the car pulling in either direction. Unblanaced wheels will more often create vibrations.

2. An alignment should be able to correct the car pulling to the right, but it depends on what is causing the issue. An alignment should be able to identify that if it is anything else.

3. if you just bought the car (within a couple days), the dealership you bought it from should fix the issue free of charge. I'd speak with the sales or service manager before taking it elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekd3 View Post
I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer though. Do you think it still appropriate I ask them to do an alignment for me?
If it hasn't been long since you purchased it, yes. worst they can say is no.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
grimlock525
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

I just had an alignment done on my 2015 F30 328i. The BMW dealership quoted me $199. Local reputable BMW indie shop quoted me the same price, and I went with them as it was more convenient for my work schedule.

From what I understand, there is some special equipment needed but it's not like the dealer is the only place that has access to that equipment. I'd say call up another dealer if possible, otherwise find a good BMW indie shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
grimlock525
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post

FWIW, I bought my car CPO'd about 3 weeks ago from an out-of-town dealership. I asked my local dealership if they could do it for free, or if it would be covered under factory or CPO warranty, and they said no. Granted, I did not actually buy the car from them, but still BMW CPO'd.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The procedure for weighing the car down is called normal position. It's not put driver weight in driver seat.

/ 32 Steering and Wheel Alignment / 32 00 Steering, measurement /
32 00 Chassis/wheel alignment - normal position F34
Car loaded down to normal position Vehicle with complete equipment for normal operation with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in centre position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank.

I wouldn't bet that even the best dealer alignment techs go through all that by the book. But who knows. I'm sure they always replace every fastener and always torque to spec as well.

I can't figure out how to reset the steering sensor. I need help fixing mine if anyone knows. I am going to try and get ITSA running
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock525 View Post
FWIW, I bought my car CPO'd about 3 weeks ago from an out-of-town dealership. I asked my local dealership if they could do it for free, or if it would be covered under factory or CPO warranty, and they said no. Granted, I did not actually buy the car from them, but still BMW CPO'd.
Why would you think a CPO warranty would cover anything like an alignment?

And why wasn’t it done 3 weeks earlier by Dealer you actually purchased it from?
Appreciate 0