F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 335i marketed towards?
GetBMWParts

11-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #199
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Yeah I hear ya, but ya know.I was pretty young when I got my first BMW 3 series. By no means did I think it was a rocket or look down on anyone. I like cars , all kinds. My collection is all over the place. German & American mostly but maybe I'll get to slide something from Italy( I was thinking more around the Maserati line,,, Gran Turismo). But I've learned to just shake my head and laugh. I have nothing to prove. I guess thats why the arguing about cars that are basically the same seems so stupid to me. We basically all love the same car. So why argue. Maybe the OP didn't mean the question as inflammatory, but isn't the answer obvious??? but we have 200 responses about horsepower differences & sooner or later someones says something stupid BTW I wish we had the choices you guys get...now the prices you pay,,thats a different story
You're a genuinely nice guy, but it wouldn't hurt if you rude people once in a while
I totally agree on the rest

Nice car record btw

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #200
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
You're a genuinely nice guy, but it wouldn't hurt if you rude people once in a while
I totally agree on the rest

Nice car record btw
Yeah you're probably right, but I can be a real ass when I need to be. Being in business for yourself you learn real quick that if you're too nice of a guy you won't survive long. We hit the 35 yr mark last year & I can only hope we continue on with another 35. But the way this economy is , its a little scary out there. So if I tell you that you're a real dick next time I reply,,,just remember ,you asked for it
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #201
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Oh buhu, talk about exaggerating the "hate", guess Bizzaro world is inside you own head.. I havenīt seen one comment bout 335i owners beeing irresponsible etc, the difference between the two ainīt freakinīBMX Bicycle vs Yamaha R1 so from what idiots have u been hearing such things? (retorical, donīt answer.)

The 335i is the choice for those who want to put out more money to have a bigger engine. And those who want to put out even more money, can get the M3. And those who want to put out more money... and, and... Thereīs no marketing difference between the 328i or the 335i, there has always been a model with a bigger engine. Itīs only in America that u basically have only these two choices, but the world doesnīt evolve around you guys so why even assume itīs marketed towards certain people over there? The question doesnīt even have to be asked in the first place.

Head on over the the thread on The BMW vs Caddy vs Merc...sooner or later it breaks down to people arguing about the 328 and the 335 & thats not even what the thread is about ,,, this is what I don't get. they're arguing over horsepower and MPG. Just thought I'd point this out...you wanted me to be more of a dick,,so there .lol
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #202
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Mostly it's one guy saying "all you 328i drivers keep throwing hate at the 335i", and the rest of us saying "wut?"

Except for power, they're very close.

The main shite-disturber has left the building.

As for the dirty look, maybe the other driver thought you were razzing him when you gave him the thumbs up? Who knows.

I find it difficult sometimes to relate to the humans.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #203
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Yeah you're probably right, but I can be a real ass when I need to be. Being in business for yourself you learn real quick that if you're too nice of a guy you won't survive long. We hit the 35 yr mark last year & I can only hope we continue on with another 35. But the way this economy is , its a little scary out there. So if I tell you that you're a real dick next time I reply,,,just remember ,you asked for it

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #204
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
And again, buhu, talk about victimizing yourself haha itīs freakin pathetic how you make it seem like you guys are being attacked by people and justifying you counter attacks. Cause thats how it is right, 335i owners are better and donīt attack the lesser 328i owners.. you just defend

Itīs really silly, anyone with a 328i trying to bash on the 335i is just jealous and the other way around is to make their 335i more of a monster than it is. Go play with sticks boys.
I've made NONE of those types of comments.

And I'm far from "defending" myself, as I have no reason to.
Someone asked a question and wanted to be shown evidence of 335i negative comments, and thus I supplied some that can be taken that way.

Last edited by RPM90; 11-23-2012 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #205
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Phantoms yet again.
I made NONE of those types of comments.

And I'm far from "defending" myself, as I have no reason to.
Someone asked a question and wanted to be shown evidence of 335i negative comments, and thus I supplied them.

I don't in any way claim the 335i is a "monster".
But, seems you like to make things up and then believe them are truth.
Have fun with that.
Thatīs what makes life sooo much more interesting than it is

Fair enough, maybe Iīve misinterpreted what you insinuated.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #206
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
i personally think you are blowing the "hate" in this thread out of proportion. there are a few comments from BJ, who is only trying to create a stir. The other "questioning the performance" was just a review, and mostly directed at the sport vs m-sport difference. other than BJ, who was trying to demean the 335i? saying that you don't value the extra HP is not demeaning.
My comments about this are rather tame and sensible.
So please, don't make it seem as if I'm so angry and "blowing this out of proportion" as clearly I am not.

You asked for some example and I gave you some.
Now, if you don't like the answers, then don't ask the question.
What I posted you were looking for, and all those things are there, I didn't make them up.

As I said, you may not see them as negative, but I didn't think you would, which is why you asked your question in the first place.

The post about the 335i and questioning it's performance is but another way by which to question the 335i, and in the context of what this whole thread is about it is directly related towards being negative towards the 335i.

I don't engage in 328i bashing. I'm pretty level headed in that regard as I see everyone here as being a 3 series fan, though not for the same reasons, and not a 328i fan vs 335i fan, a lux line fan vs sport line fan.
I'm calling it as I see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #207
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
My comments about this are rather tame and sensible.
So please, don't make it seem as if I'm so angry and "blowing this out of proportion" as clearly I am not.

You asked for some example and I gave you some.
Now, if you don't like the answers, then don't ask the question.
What I posted you were looking for, and all those things are there, I didn't make them up.

As I said, you may not see them as negative, but I didn't think you would, which is why you asked your question in the first place.

The post about the 335i and questioning it's performance is but another way by which to question the 335i, and in the context of what this whole thread is about it is directly related towards being negative towards the 335i.

I don't engage in 328i bashing. I'm pretty level headed in that regard as I see everyone here as being a 3 series fan, though not for the same reasons, and not a 328i fan vs 335i fan, a lux line fan vs sport line fan.
I'm calling it as I see it.
geez man, my head is spinning after reading that post. you sure do have a lot of time to engage w/ people on here. lol.

anyways, i wont bother carrying this response on with the exception that i do want to say that my comment about blowing it out of proportion was referencing your use of the word "hate". a few comments here and there from a troll (BJ) and a few others who do not justify the performance of the 335i is not "hating" in my opinion. that's all i was saying, it wasn't intended to say you were angry or how ever else you took that.

Ive been reading a lot responses lately on this forum about people thinking others are hating because they have a 3 series, 335i, M-Sport, nice wheels, blue brakes, etc. Some people must be really impressed with themselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #208
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

I'm pretty sure the 335i is actually aimed at the BMW purist. It's closer to the 330d than the 328i in terms of general performance so that should be the comparison to make.

And both the 335i and 330d (for the first time ever I think) appeal to the same person. Someone who wants a fast BMW but is determined to hang on to 6 cylinders!

For me I went 330d for company car tax reasons. But if private I would probably have justified the 335i, I still prefer the reviness of petrol - although the 330d really does rev as well as most would ever make use of. And neither car features any turbo lag that's worth mentioning - effectively none at all.

The 328i was never a comparable car for me. It sounds and feels like a small engine being forced in to doing things it just doesn't want to do. And whilst not exactly laggy, there is a brief low RPM lack of torque, that you would be crazy not to expect from a 4 pot.

That's the reason for the 335i. 4 pot turbo engines make sense, but for many of us we need the smoothness and easy torque of the extra two cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #209
The Economist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE

Facsinating read, this. I'm not one to be impressed by brands, and I never care to be seen or noticed - I just happen to be addicted to quality and spend my dollars accordingly. In fact, the only brand I have any negative leanings towards is BMW, as evidenced by some of the textbook SDS (short-dick-syndrome) and "I live in my parents' basement" attitudes on display in this thread.

Thankfully for you, reader, I have arrived to set you free from the sadness of the few feeble minds (you know who you are, you turds of misery) who have taken it upon themselves to fan their flames of mediocrity.

I can say this because, despite my overall disdain for the BMW brand, I have purchased an F30. And, I set about to do so with a completely open mind, so I hope you can take what I have to say with the notion that I had some element of impartiality.

I test-drove the competition (all of it, barring the ATS). Then, I drove a 328 and my mind was made up - this was a fantastic vehicle, and I was going to have it. In fact, I loved the aspect of a sophisticated, blown four pot - this, friends, is the future. And then I decided to drive a 335 just for the hell of it. Now, from the perspective of your humble narrarator, the difference was huge - I would say there was a cavernous void in terms of "feel". So I purchased a 335i M-Sport, and am now awaiting delivery.

So, who is it marketed towards? A young man, recently married, two small-mid sized dogs, no kids yet, an automotive enthusiast who believes in quality and utmost discretion, who has an appreciation for excellence and sublime experiences, and who does not compromise on personal pleasures. Most importantly, though, one who does not care what anyone else thinks - you have a 320, 328, 335, M3, whatever? Good for you, then; I just hope you're happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #210
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
I test-drove the competition (all of it, barring the ATS). Then, I drove a 328 and my mind was made up - this was a fantastic vehicle, and I was going to have it. In fact, I loved the aspect of a sophisticated, blown four pot - this, friends, is the future. And then I decided to drive a 335 just for the hell of it. Now, from the perspective of your humble narrarator, the difference was huge - I would say there was a cavernous void in terms of "feel". So I purchased a 335i M-Sport, and am now awaiting delivery.
Excellent choice! The 335i is just as sophisticated and clever as the 328i, yet it benefits from the fact that 6 cylinders is at heart, better than a 4 pot.

The thread asked who the 335i was aimed at, and you have just answered. It's aimed at the shrinking minority of people that can still tell and appreciate the difference between 4 and 6
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #211
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I have to admit I've only been signing on recently to check this thread out. Its amazing. Lol.

There are some posts claiming the 328i is under rated in its stated hp/tq figures. Is this true with 335s as well?
Is this done so 335 owners wouldnt be thinking omg wtfff?

335 - more power sounds nice
328 - less power sounds shitty (i have one and want to leave it stock but seriously considering exhaust options just for the sound it lacks)

Both - drive and handle extremely well.

Now lets all go drive on closed circuits before we think our cars make us fast. Seriously. More power does not equal moar fast and moar enthusiast.

328/335 is great but im looking to get into the new m3 or m2.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #212
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
328 - less power sounds shitty (i have one and want to leave it stock but seriously considering exhaust options just for the sound it lacks)
Problem is that the exhaust will make it sound louder, not better. That engine is never going to make an evocative sound - if that's what you're after.

It's a technical marvel, a very good engine of course. But I don't think a heavily blown 4 pot is ever going to be a noise I would want to amplify...

Save the money and go for the M3. Or swap for a 330d even... Amazingly for a diesel it actually does sound better at higher revs than the 328. How things change.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #213
The Economist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Excellent choice! The 335i is just as sophisticated and clever as the 328i, yet it benefits from the fact that 6 cylinders is at heart, better than a 4 pot.

The thread asked who the 335i was aimed at, and you have just answered. It's aimed at the shrinking minority of people that can still tell and appreciate the difference between 4 and 6
You're right, Sir. Didn't really think of it that way. The inline six is so iconic for this automaker, and, this being my very first BMW, how could I live with myself to compromise? I knew that every time I would see a 335 in the street, I'd regret it. So, here I am...

Not a big deal - there are different sensitivities for different people; some of them not logical at all. For example, I went with the M-Sport because I really loved the steering wheel (well, I also wanted the M-Sport brakes and adaptive suspension which require the package in Canada)... but, that was the main consideration (I found out later you can simply just add it as a special order for $400). Another example: I would have seriously considered the ATS, but the gauge cluster is so absurdly hideous in its design, that I wrote off the car completely... just because of that. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a fine automobile - but f*ck me running, there's no way I'm going to sit behind the wheel and stare at that gauge cluster for the next x years... no way.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #214
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I have to admit I've only been signing on recently to check this thread out. Its amazing. Lol.

There are some posts claiming the 328i is under rated in its stated hp/tq figures. Is this true with 335s as well?
Is this done so 335 owners wouldnt be thinking omg wtfff?

335 - more power sounds nice

Both - drive and handle extremely well.

Now lets all go drive on closed circuits before we think our cars make us fast. Seriously. More power does not equal moar fast and moar enthusiast.

328/335 is great but im looking to get into the new m3 or m2.
The N55 is also underrated, but not as much as the N54 was and the N20 is.

Quote:
Problem is that the exhaust will make it sound louder, not better. That engine is never going to make an evocative sound - if that's what you're after.
Incorrect.

The development catback installed on my car did not just increase volume but also the note/pitch.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #215
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub
Quote:

It's a technical marvel, a very good engine of course. But I don't think a heavily blown 4 pot is ever going to be a noise I would want to amplify...

Save the money and go for the M3. Or swap for a 330d even... Amazingly for a diesel it actually does sound better at higher revs than the 328. How things change.
True. But my evo was plenty fast and sounded great - had a stealth exhaust not a loud one. I dont know if I will ever get another 11 sec car with passengers again. It does seem strange to have the tail sliding out, pushing it hard and not hearing anything but tires and feeling really smooth at the same time. But that is bmw. That i love.
But that m2 better come out - hopefully more closer to the size of the e30. I WANT ONE NOW.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #216
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

Incorrect.

The development catback installed on my car did not just increase volume but also the note/pitch.
I'm not incorrect at all - adding an exhaust may tune the noise but it won't actually change the composition of sounds coming from the engine.

And we're talking about what sounds good, not what sounds different. Subjective of course but side by side, I believe pretty much anyone would choose to listen to the 6 over the 4.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #217
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I'm not incorrect at all - adding an exhaust may tune the noise but it won't actually change the composition of sounds coming from the engine.

And we're talking about what sounds good, not what sounds different. Subjective of course but side by side, I believe pretty much anyone would choose to listen to the 6 over the 4.
This was your statement:

"Problem is that the exhaust will make it sound louder, not better"

Sorry, but incorrect. I am not referencing what I think, what I heard on some sound clips...this comes from putting miles on the prototype exhaust for the N20. There is quite a bit of sound tuning that can be done from a proper exhaust. It was not like there was just some diameter increase and we called it a day(in fact the stock diameter is already 3").

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #218
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

When i want to listen to that 6 i take my ladys 135i on the freeway rev it high and drive like an asshole especially on bends.

Now only if i can persuade her to let me take it to just an autocross day. Maybe buy "her" a track setup as a gift (to myself)? Lol
Appreciate 0