F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Whats the point in having Kick Down?
ARMA SPEED

01-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #23
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
I'm starting to think that I'm not using these gearboxes to their full extent. I dont think I have ever needed to deliberately initiate a kick down using the bump in the pedal. I've just never seen the need. A substaintial press is all I've ever needed to do to give me all the power I need with the appropriate gear change. If I've wanted to go down more than one gear I've put the trans into manual and chosen the gear myself. I've always found a full prod enough to initiate an uncomfortable jolt while the transmission wakes up, changes gear and applies my now 8/10ths throttle. Perhaps i need to try it.

By the way I am quite familiar with autos, had at least one for around 5 years now. DSG golf GTD, E60 M5 SMG, BMW X5, disco 4
I think you're fairly normal of anyone with a modern auto with a powerful diesel engine- kickdown doesn't make any sense and isn't really needed.

With an old petrol engine needing lots of revs with an old school 3 or 4 speed gearbox, then I can understand why kickdown was created!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 02:57 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
I'm starting to think that I'm not using these gearboxes to their full extent. I dont think I have ever needed to deliberately initiate a kick down using the bump in the pedal. I've just never seen the need.
For me it is the flexibility of these auto boxes that appeals, the fact there are several approaches to how we get a decent overtake.

I'd normally use a more controlled approach to an overtake, that is dropping a cog or two, getting ready to go. Driving up here, particularly the A82 (Glasgow - Inverness), you often just see an opportunity and you need to grab it full on, if you are not going to sit in a slow traffic flow. Hence why kick down is the fastest manoeuvre. Same for previous cars like the 540i, 330d and now the 535i. Not really a ratio count, but simply the fastest move from sitting at 40 - 45 mph behind a car or two. The box will do it faster than any manual intervention.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #25
dean1501
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D MSport X-Drive

I gave this a try today having read this thread and can confirm you really don't need it to get past another car, unless you want to get past five cars in a second
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #26
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

A lot of people are saying kick down switch doesnt make sense, isn't needed, is a placebo, or is the same thing on any other automatic transmission. These are not correct and I've taken the time to explain and post a video demonstrating it here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=43
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #27
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1501 View Post
I gave this a try today having read this thread and can confirm you really don't need it to get past another car, unless you want to get past five cars in a second
Agreed, you can just press the gas and the car will downshift appropriately, without going balls out with the KD switch. IMO the most useful application of the KD switch is when in 'manual' mode it will skip gears and down shift more similar to how you would in a true manual. You can't skip gears with paddle shifters or the automatic stick.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #28
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

You can also block change whilst in manual mode by pressing the throttle past the kick down point and pulling the left paddle once, it will then drop into the lowest available gear.