F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New f30 help
Studio RSR

11-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Hi,

So if i got adaptive i could i change ECO PRO so that is was gearbox, throttle etc but suspension in sporty and steering in sporty all the time?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
Hi,

So if i got adaptive i could i change ECO PRO so that is was gearbox, throttle etc but suspension in sporty and steering in sporty all the time?

Thanks
i dont think so, you can change SPORT though to be just chassis (suspension) which would give you less throttle response but not as much as ecopro.

To be honest, if you want sport suspension, you like a sporty car and in ECOPRO, the car is dangerous at junctions as you have no oomph (technical term) to get away quickly so in my view, stiff suspension & ECOPRO throttle does not computer
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
IoWfan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 328i Msport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
i dont think so, you can change SPORT though to be just chassis (suspension) which would give you less throttle response but not as much as ecopro.

To be honest, if you want sport suspension, you like a sporty car and in ECOPRO, the car is dangerous at junctions as you have no oomph (technical term) to get away quickly so in my view, stiff suspension & ECOPRO throttle does not computer

NO you definitely can only play with the suspension or gearbox settings in Sport, not Comfort or EcoPro. (I edited my earlier post having checked out a few things, too.

EcoPro is horrible... the car feels dead... no responsiveness at all... I concur it could be dangerous if you suddenly needed to move out of the way of something.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Hi,

XDrive will need the adaptive as the handling is not as good due to the higher ride height even with M Sport Suspension.

Every dealer i have spoken with regarding the XDrive has said get the adaptive with it, but i don't want a xdrive snow tyres work fine never had an issue in my E92 coupe.
I don't understand your dealer's logic. Msport lowers the car by 10mm whereas x-drive raises the car by 10mm so you're effectively back where you started (plus msport stiffens the suspension).

So, by that logic every non-msport model (even without xdrive) needs adaptive suspension too. Or maybe he is just trying to get you to spend more money?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
As said by other posters, doesn't work that way.

Drivetrain = gearbox and throttle. Chassis = suspension and steering, but neither will be (or can be) in sport while in Eco Pro.

So even with the passive sport suspension your steering will not be 'sporty' in Eco Pro.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Eco Pro is excellent marketing by BMW. Car is too lethargic. The car can't keep up with even slow moving traffic. A hopeless feature IMO and definitely not for me.
      11-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #29
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Eco Pro is excellent marketing by BMW. Car is too lethargic. The car can't keep up with even slow moving traffic. A hopeless feature IMO and definitely not for me.
I must disagree my friend.
Admittedly I have only had the car since Thursday and covered only 200 miles, but due to the amount of mileage I do and due to the fact a considerable amount of time is spent in slow moving traffic, this is a mode I think I will use quite a lot. Maybe my mind will change when it's worn in and I can drive it properly, but I do think eco pro has it's benifits if your trying to be frugal.
The auto start stop however feels like brilliant marketing. Not something I like. I'm also old school in the sense that I believe constantly switching on and off the eengine uses more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #30
JohnM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport PPK

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Just a word of caution about VSS when garage staff comment. Some of them still believe it is the same as the active steering in the E9* range. That system was an acquired taste, but unless they have themselves tried the F3/1 model VSS, be a bit wary of opinion. Make sure they are talking about VSS, not the obsolete system.

Similarly some sales staff say adaptive suspension is unnecessary and haven't even tried it themselves.

HighlandPete
The adaptive suspension is fine with me, as i'm sure with others. Not particularly keen on the VSS though. OK it sort of stiffens up the streering at speed, not much for me though. Good at sharp turns & parking, otherwise i would have picked the servo.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Oh, I also hate stop/start.
      11-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
HiBee
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=Xplosiv166;14908334]Hi

I have ordered a new 330d m sport currently with variable sport steering and passive suspension.

I have been told by a few sales people at the dealers that the VSS is not needed and a lot of them did not like it. They suggested I would be better of with the m adaptive instead.

Can anybody help me out as I cannot find a car with VSS or adaptive suspension to try out for my self.

Thanks
Xplosiv[/QUOTE

It would be better if you can get a test drive with both. The VSS is something you need to get used too. It seems great at first, but not so good as you get used to it. It is quite cheap to spec though. To much lightweight in the steering for me though. Adaptive suspension i have no problems with that. Most folk that have the adaptive suspension & VSS have different opinions anyway, although most are good. It''s up to you & how you drive.
Good luck in your choice, whatever you pick it is good.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #34
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
There is definitely a marketing element to Eco-Pro and a clever one, if we think about it. Even BMW see it as a way to educate drivers to be a bit more economy minded. That has to be a good thing as a lot of fuel is wasted simply by poor driving and excess use of the throttle, when not really necessary.

I've not got Eco-Pro in my 5-series (missed it by a couple of months), but in a way pleased I don't have it, just have a few Efficient Dynamics features.

Having driven Eco-pro models I still believe we can get much of the economy improvements, simply by our driving style, switching down climate control fan speeds, if we really want to go the to the same extreme as Eco-Pro.

I like the ability to have the same throttle mapping and gearbox reactions however I drive, I can modulate my driving style to conditions and traffic flows, without a 'mode' and a dead throttle pedal. I switch off my engine as a pattern of course when in long stops for road works, etc., been doing it for years. So not sure where 'stop start' would help me in my driving, as I don't normally sit in traffic, unless it is an obvious stop.

But I can see how some drivers need the encouragement to drive an ECO style, Eco-Pro is therefore a pretty good way to achieve that goal.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
HiBee
Major
Rep

Tried the Eco- Pro once or twice in my motor. Never to be tried again, for the way i like to drive.
Never tried the Sport + though. Normally drive in sport anyway with chassis selected only.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #36
HiBee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I also hate stop/start.
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

HiBee - Do you have the VSS in you car? if it makes it even more light weight than stock, then it is not for me as i was hoping it would the opposite (having the word sport in it)

BMW should have made a custom setting, so you could add the features you liked

I think i am going to add the Adaptive Suspension to the car after being driven in my dads E90 and the passengers commenting on how harsh the ride was. I must have just got use the harsh ride and taken it as normal.

Is the 330D 8 Speed auto much better than the E92 6 Speed auto? i am guessing i will not notice much apart from smoother changes as the bhp has not gone up by much

i am guessing even in soft mode if you show the Adaptive Suspension a tight corner it will react so that you don't lose control anyway?

Does anybody have adaptive and not like it but just stuck with it and learnt to live with it?

and now the next can of worms the colour, i have a white E92 which i love the look of. Problem is 80% of the people i know think it looks like a drug dealers car (i have sun protection as i think it looks better) or only a giant cock would drive one has been used several times (although this coming from Grey Peugeot 3008 owner). I think there may be a hint of BMW hatred going on here.

So i was looking at the Estoril Blue but cannot make my mind up, it looks really good in the pictures under certain lighting but i was not blown away when i went to look at one. Not sure if it just needs some good polish to make it look better???

I was considering Grey but have deicide it is a little boring (don't get me wrong i still think the colour is nice and the boring could be solved with some red seats )

Silver - Just no never been a fan
Black - had a black car before and was so tired of cleaning it
Red - NO

White - IMO white looks really good on any car and the F30 with M Sport looks really good but there are soooooo may white cars i am actually getting tired of seeing them.

Has anybody got some good pictures of the F30 M Sport ideally with the sun protection glass and the 19" wheels in EB?

Thanks

Last edited by Xplosiv166; 11-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
HiBee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I must disagree my friend.
Admittedly I have only had the car since Thursday and covered only 200 miles, but due to the amount of mileage I do and due to the fact a considerable amount of time is spent in slow moving traffic, this is a mode I think I will use quite a lot. Maybe my mind will change when it's worn in and I can drive it properly, but I do think eco pro has it's benifits if your trying to be frugal.
The auto start stop however feels like brilliant marketing. Not something I like. I'm also old school in the sense that I believe constantly switching on and off the eengine uses more fuel.
I'm sure you will change your thinking.
I suppose you can believe the BMW marketing if you want. I drive my motor irrespective of what they say.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #39
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

NISFAN swapped an f30 adaptive for the passive so it is worth reading his posts on the subject.

I have an an F31 with the passive setup and love it I can not fault it.

I want my msport to ride the same all the time without having to press a button.

As for the colour its personal choice, I like the mineral grey best.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #40
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

"NISFAN swapped an f30 adaptive for the passive so it is worth reading his posts on the subject. "

Do you have a link, as that sounds interesting?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #41
batty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330D

In terms of colour - I love Mineral Grey with Coral Red interior.

but maybe I'm biassed...
      11-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #42
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:
Hi,

"NISFAN swapped an f30 adaptive for the passive so it is worth reading his posts on the subject. "

Do you have a link, as that sounds interesting?
This is one where he talks about it http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=893448&page=2

To quote NISFAN
"My car was an F30 330D with 19" M403 wheels and Bridgestone RFT, all factory fit.

I have swapped to a passive suspension F30 and it is miles better, perfect (if still softly sprung) spring to damper rates."
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #43
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Interesting read from that link. I agree with what Nisfan said.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #44
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi

I removing the VSS and Adaptive suspension and adding the Visibility Pack instead

Andy
Appreciate 0