F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New f30 help
ARMA SPEED

11-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #45
Boosted321
Private
Rep
Drives: Xdrive 318d ish :o)

I find Eco Pro has its uses on the drive home through traffic, it does give me better economy and there is still plenty of go with a bit of throttle.

I tried an Sdrive F31 330D Msport on passive with servotronic and nearly didn't go ahead with placing an order as I really didn't like it. No steering feel and sloppy handling.

So glad I did as I'm very happy with my Xdrive F30 on adaptive with VSS.

Obviously these things are very subjective

Last edited by Boosted321; 11-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: To add model of F31
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted321 View Post
I find Eco Pro has its uses on the drive home through traffic, it does give me better economy and there is still plenty of go with a bit of throttle.

I tried an Sdrive F31 330D Msport on passive with servotronic and nearly didn't go ahead with placing an order as I really didn't like it. No steering feel and sloppy handling.

Really!!

I have just got a f31 msport 330d, handles great,
But each to their own, everyone looks for something different. I honestly think the balance of handling and ride is perfect, I like the steering but must admit to thinking about vss, but not tried it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #47
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
Hi

I removing the VSS and Adaptive suspension and adding the Visibility Pack instead

Andy
Great decision, vis pack is the first thing anyone should tick
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #48
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
Great decision, vis pack is the first thing anyone should tick
Yes, I wish I had the vis pack, but didn't have a choice due to the deal on 'the' car!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #49
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Hi,

FFS after spending hours reading about VSS and adaptive i cannot find a good write up. It seems that 80% of reviews say VSS is very good and the adaptive is 50/50

Does anybody no of any dealers in the North West that has a car with VSS and adaptive suspension on so i can at least try them, It is really annoying that there are no demonstrators.

I even tried searching BMW Used and Approved but the serach filter is rubbish. I only have until the middle-end of next week to add / remove items

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #50
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH28 View Post
Really!!

I have just got a f31 msport 330d, handles great,
But each to their own, everyone looks for something different. I honestly think the balance of handling and ride is perfect, I like the steering but must admit to thinking about vss, but not tried it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #51
Defero
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:

Most things are subjective I guess.

F31 m sport s-drive sloppy
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #52
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Hi,

FFS after spending hours reading about VSS and adaptive i cannot find a good write up. It seems that 80% of reviews say VSS is very good and the adaptive is 50/50

Does anybody no of any dealers in the North West that has a car with VSS and adaptive suspension on so i can at least try them, It is really annoying that there are no demonstrators.

I even tried searching BMW Used and Approved but the serach filter is rubbish. I only have until the middle-end of next week to add / remove items

Thanks
'The office' is in Derby. If you are passing and I'm in you can try a Passived VSS
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #53
Boosted321
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defero View Post
Yup. Very poor IMO. But then it also depends on what else you've owned / driven. If you've not run decent stuff before I guess some people would rate it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #54
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Had a drive of a 318d touring with VSS and adaptive finally and decide on just the VSS as the adaptive does not bring much to the party in my opinion, unfortunately missed out on driving a 328i manual as it had been sold. i am happy with ride and if needs be i can buy the even firmer M Sport performance suspension although it looks like that could be really expensive.

I am however really glad i don't have a 318d it is sooooooo slow (maybe the touring weights more than a saloon) compared to my 330 E92

I am going to spend the saved money on the powerkit for the new 330d which will given me a small increase in power but i still get to keep the warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #55
Defero
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted321
Quote:
Yup. Very poor IMO. But then it also depends on what else you've owned / driven. If you've not run decent stuff before I guess some people would rate it
Looks like most dont agree with you on this

What are you comparing the f31 to [out of interest] and what was sloppy about it?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #56
Boosted321
Private
Rep

Maybe not but then again every professional reviewer I've read says adaptive suspension is a must have on the F30 and we all know there are lots of people here who do not agree. So what do they know

In terms of comparison not the MY2011 GT-R or the E9 GT as that would be silly but the 57 plate 5dr Mondeo I used as a daily. Maybe the tires were incorrectly inflated but it was lifeless steering feel wise and felt very unstable in bends, at the front and rear, didn't know which end was going to give up first

Nothing like the 335d I have now I'm very happy to say.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

HI ,

Calling the passive M sport sloppy is just plan wrong (not sure what you where smoking - but can i have some ). the difference is certainly not Night and day. I wish people would post sensible descriptions instead of massively unhelpful untrue comments just because they have a particular option on there car, It really does not help new buyers in the slightest.

The difference is very slight and IMO i prefer the passive sports suspension all the time and don't like the SE type suspension in comfort and normal, it would be yet another button to press - Turn off Start/Stop switch suspension into correct mode (i.e Sport).

To get better handling the answer is certainly not Adaptive to get a NIGHT and DAY difference, it is M performance but i am not sure that is a good idea on UK roads and have no idea what it will cost.

I will admit the handling in either configuration does not feel as good as my E92 (in both cases) but i am guessing this is because i am use to my car and BMW have changed a lot of things. i suspect when my new car arrives and i have put several 1000 miles on it i will have forgotten all about my E92

Last edited by Xplosiv166; 11-05-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #58
Defero
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Maybe not but then again every professional reviewer I've read says adaptive suspension is a must have on the F30 and we all know there are lots of people here who do not agree. So what do they know

In terms of comparison not the MY2011 GT-R or the E9 GT as that would be silly but the 57 plate 5dr Mondeo I used as a daily. Maybe the tires were incorrectly inflated but it was lifeless steering feel wise and felt very unstable in bends, at the front and rear, didn't know which end was going to give up first

Most of the industry reviews are based on the stock suspension not the passive msport

I have thrashed several hire Mondeos over the years and they are good cars and where fun, but they don't come close to my f31 msport.

If you want a bad car / with ultra sloppy handling I can recommend the Vectra estate. I had one as a hire car years ago, this is the worst car I have ever driven.

Nissan GT-R , now that's not fair still on my list just need to get it past the wife
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #59
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

FFS for the price of the car, the Mondeo is a reasonable car and the handling is fine for sure i would not be racing in it but it is a cheap family saloon and was not intended to compete with a Ferrari, well at least i know which forum member i need to speak with when i need a truck load of bad advice and massively exaggerated opinions

Last edited by Xplosiv166; 11-05-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #60
Boosted321
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wish people would post sensible descriptions instead of massively unhelpful untrue comments just because they have a particular option on there car, It really does not help new buyers in the slightest.
Part of the point of a forum is for people to post their opinions. I don't see how you can call it untrue just because its not your opinion. It was mine so tough.

Quote:
Nissan GT-R , now that's not fair still on my list just need to get it past the wife
Its no problem, leave some Quashqai brochures about the place and tell her you want to buy a Nissan, she'll be so shocked she'll agree to it without thinking
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #61
Boosted321
Private
Rep

Quote:
FFS for the price of the car, the Mondeo is a reasonable car and the handling is fine for sure i would not be racing in it but it is a cheap family saloon and was not intended to compete with a Ferrari, well at least i know which forum member i need to speak with when i need a truck load of bad advice and massively exaggerated opinions i just hope my BS detector does not explode.
So now your're saying you can't expect an F31 330D Msport to handle better than a 3K Mondeo. First sensible thing you've posted so far
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #62
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

anyway back on topic.

thanks for all your advice but i think the best thing to do is simple test drive both and pick the option that is best for your driving style. But good luck finding a high spec'ed car at any of the BMW dealers (at least in the NW)

NOTE: May need another thread, but is the powerkit worth £1,700 (for the 330D for what looks like very small gains) which is what i have been quoted?

Last edited by Xplosiv166; 11-05-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0