F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I have never gotten my iphone integration to work.
Extreme Powerhouse

07-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
alanized
alanized
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

I have never gotten my iphone integration to work.

I enjoy my 2013 335xi to no end but wish that my iPhone 6 blue tooth integration would work as well as the Hyundai/Toyota/Ford/VW/Chevys that I often rent. The BMW integration is weak. Mostly I get a "searching" message. When it does work I have to control from the phone because the interface will ONLY let me advance to the next song. It would take too long to go through tens of thousands of songs.
On top of that I've never been able to get texts or emails. I've involved the dealer, called the genius, updated the firmware. Still it does not work.
I'm driving a Hyundai this week in Chicago. It handles like an old cow but the BT Audio is amazing. I guess you can't have a good ride with good functioning audio.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

If your dealer has been involved then why this is not a warranty replacement of some kind if this is a valid complaint?

All iPhones work with BMW since 2008. All of them. If your particular iPhone does not work then either -your Bluetooth module is defective, your iPhone is defective, the pairing was defective or the option is just not there in your car. There is nothing in between. Really.

Of course, the assumption is that your car and iPhone has the latest software installed. And even that is not that important because the iPhone Bluetooth phone profile is robust regardless of the software version. Again -it has been working fine since 2008 for phone calls.

Bluetooth Audio only works if your car is equipped with the proper hardware. Otherwise it simply will not work. Your dealer/BMW Genius should have told you that right away.

Now, describe exactly what is problem other that "it does not work" or "The BMW integration is weak" and most probably you will receive the help in this forum that you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanized View Post
I enjoy my 2013 335xi to no end but wish that my iPhone 6 blue tooth integration would work as well as the Hyundai/Toyota/Ford/VW/Chevys that I often rent. The BMW integration is weak. Mostly I get a "searching" message. When it does work I have to control from the phone because the interface will ONLY let me advance to the next song. It would take too long to go through tens of thousands of songs.
On top of that I've never been able to get texts or emails. I've involved the dealer, called the genius, updated the firmware. Still it does not work.
I'm driving a Hyundai this week in Chicago. It handles like an old cow but the BT Audio is amazing. I guess you can't have a good ride with good functioning audio.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

You might try resetting network settings: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Restart your phone and redo the pairing with your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
alanized
alanized
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

More details. Please help.

I have reset the network settings before and tried it again to no avail.

My telephone integration works fine but when I go to connect Bluetooth audio I get a message that states "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown Album" and the message by the speaker icon says "Please Wait."

It will stay that way for sometimes 30 - 40 minutes. After that time it sometimes resolves and music starts up. I never get the search icon however. The only control I have is the forward and backwards icons that allow me to step through tens of thousands of songs, one at a time.

I've updated the firmware. The multimedia firmware is MX-003.005.004 and the telephone firmware is TX-003.005.008
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanized

My telephone integration works fine but when I go to connect Bluetooth audio I get a message that states "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown Album" and the message by the speaker icon says "Please Wait."

It will stay that way for sometimes 30 - 40 minutes. After that time it sometimes resolves and music starts up. I never get the search icon however. The only control I have is the forward and backwards icons that allow me to step through tens of thousands of songs, one at a time.

I've updated the firmware. The multimedia firmware is MX-003.005.004 and the telephone firmware is TX-003.005.008
I have the same problem. If I initiate 'play' on the iPhone, it usually starts playing though. Sometimes you need to switch between radio and media using the button on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Kapitein Iglo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

Problem has been existing since iOS 8.
Who to blame? Apple or BMW?
No one knows - apple forums are full of threads like this.

Fact is, this worked great for me on iOS 6 and 7

PS: message and email integration has also never worked for me and I am under the assumption that this has never for nobody using i-devices.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitein Iglo View Post
Problem has been existing since iOS 8.
Who to blame? Apple or BMW?
No one knows - apple forums are full of threads like this.

Fact is, this worked great for me on iOS 6 and 7

PS: message and email integration has also never worked for me and I am under the assumption that this has never for nobody using i-devices.
Texts and email display have always worked in all my iPhones (4, 4S, 5 and now 6 Plus).

Either you have the Smartphone integration option in your car or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

You have not posted the options in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanized View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Kapitein Iglo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Texts and email display have always worked in all my iPhones (4, 4S, 5 and now 6 Plus).

Either you have the Smartphone integration option in your car or not.
i've got the integration, but it only works once after activating notification settings
on next start, it no longer works
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

With iPhone 6 and iOS 8.4 I have both SMS and email working with iDrive. The exception is I still have to kill the email app on the phone before connecting to iDrive, for email to work. Bluetooth music streaming works fine, although I connect via USB instead. Connected apps work fine.

Dictating new messages only works with Android using Dragon Drive subscription. And it works very well.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Kapitein Iglo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
The excuteption is I still have to kill the email app on the phone before connecting to iDrive, for email to work.
Having to do stuff like this is not conforming with my definition of "working"
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Yeah I know, it sucks. I usually don't bother doing it. But then, I don't really care so much about emails in the car anyway. Text messages yes. More important for me would be the ability to dictate texts from iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitein Iglo View Post
Having to do stuff like this is not conforming with my definition of "working"
If your definition of "working" is you not doing anything at the iPhone then enabling the "Show Notifications" at the iPhone does not conform as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Kapitein Iglo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't think you get it.
There is a substatial difference between enabling a setting once in the lifetime of car/phone and performing a specific action every time you start the car
Appreciate 0