F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2015 435I Headlight
Studio RSR

01-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
ScribL3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Sportline

2015 435I Headlight

Sorry if this has been mentikned. I have a 435I and did not have the optional LED headlights. Is there anyway I can get this added on? Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribL3 View Post
Sorry if this has been mentikned. I have a 435I and did not have the optional LED headlights. Is there anyway I can get this added on? Much appreciated
Could you? Sure, anything is possible. In my opinion it's not worth the cost though. A quick eBay search turns up a couple options at around $4500 a pair with shipping. I'm sure coding would need to be done after the fact too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
ScribL3
United_States
Rep

Wow. 4500 that seems like a lot. Not sure why BMW doesn't code the car for this and things like navigation, so people can possibly upgrade in the future. They would make more money.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Wow. 4500 that seems like a lot. Not sure why BMW doesn't code the car for this and things like navigation, so people can possibly upgrade in the future. They would make more money.
The options are frequently present in the coded ECU, they are simply not activated since the car was not optioned with those features or your model line doesn't offer those features. Many upgrades are possible...some require coding only, some require hardware additions as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
ScribL3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
The options are frequently present in the coded ECU, they are simply not activated since the car was not optioned with those features or your model line doesn't offer those features. Many upgrades are possible...some require coding only, some require hardware additions as well.
That's great so my 435I should be able to add this addition on if I choose to buy all the necessary parts
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I had a 435 with LED. I now own a 335 with HID. The difference is minimal. Now the LEDs look cooler on how they project, but that's it.

Don't waste your money.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

The difference in light output isn't really worth the cost to retrofit the LEDs onto a car with HIDs. Plus the only truly unique feature the LEDs have that HIDs don't is that you can code the lights to have the cool anti-dazzle high beams which will automatically adjust the lights for traffic without blinding them, however if you want that feature it would require both the LED headlights as well as separate cameras (depending on the options your car has) as well as changes to the steering column stalks. All in all, it is definitely possible to change to LEDs but if the only thing you want is the different looking lights, it isn't truly worth it. You might as well try to turn the car in/get out of the lease for as little as possible and just get another car for the cost it's going to cost you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
With the B-Xenons and the Adaptive Headlights you can code Variable Light Distribution (VLD) on North American cars; with LEDs and Adpative Headlights you can code VLD and Anti-Dazzle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
They would make more money by installing these items, not collecting money from you for those options, and setting up their system so that you can unlock them for free? I guess we won't be seeing you on Shark Tank any time soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
ScribL3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
They would make more money by installing these items, not collecting money from you for those options, and setting up their system so that you can unlock them for free? I guess we won't be seeing you on Shark Tank any time soon?

Probably not on Shark Tank. The average person is not going to code the car themselves and would rather have it done with the installation. Now they can sell the options up front so that people can finance this in the vehicle, but why wouldn't they want to make these options also for the people that did not get those options in the beginning. I was limited to finding a vehicle that had a manual transmission and not the LED option. I would pay BMW to install this if there was an option after delivery and they could do the installation So would be another customer that they did not miss on selling the options to inthe beginning. Just got it done later than earlier.

Appreciate the input though
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
NOITALL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Probably not on Shark Tank. The average person is not going to code the car themselves and would rather have it done with the installation. Now they can sell the options up front so that people can finance this in the vehicle, but why wouldn't they want to make these options also for the people that did not get those options in the beginning. I was limited to finding a vehicle that had a manual transmission and not the LED option. I would pay BMW to install this if there was an option after delivery and they could do the installation So would be another customer that they did not miss on selling the options to inthe beginning. Just got it done later than earlier.

I believe they do it.
It's just cost prohibitive.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
ScribL3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm wrong View Post
I believe they do it.
It's just cost prohibitive.

Cheers!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

There is an option--order your car the way you want.

You are ignoring all the $$ BMW would pour into cars that never have these features "unlocked"; which would be most. Just as few people will code their cars, also few people go an try to mod a BMW with after market parts, or swap out features after the fact. There is just no way BMW would make money on this solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
ScribL3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
There is an option--order your car the way you want.

You are ignoring all the $$ BMW would pour into cars that never have these features "unlocked"; which would be most. Just as few people will code their cars, also few people go an try to mod a BMW with after market parts, or swap out features after the fact. There is just no way BMW would make money on this solution.
Please read my response. I didn't order my car. I found it for a good deal with a 6MT. At the time I was not concerned or educated about the lighting package as my e90 M3did not have them. Wouldn't cost the company much to wire the car for things as navigation while in pre production. Next time I will probably order the car I want as I see the 6mt completely going away in the near future. Even though your comments seem a bit negative and attacking I do appreciate it. : )
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please read my response. I didn't order my car. I found it for a good deal with a 6MT. At the time I was not concerned or educated about the lighting package as my e90 M3did not have them. Wouldn't cost the company much to wire the car for things as navigation while in pre production. Next time I will probably order the car I want as I see the 6mt completely going away in the near future. Even though your comments seem a bit negative and attacking I do appreciate it. : )
The point is not about whether you ordered your car or not; but, you did find a "good deal" and settled for a car that had some, but not all, of what you desired, so it's really the same concept. What you are asking for costs money; I, as a customer, have no interest in paying even more for my BMW so maybe, in the future, I or some 2nd or 3rd owner, can maybe, possibly, add additional features.

The bottom line is that BMW, and all car mfgs, look for simple ways to cut costs, because saving a few dollars per car multiplied over hundreds of thousands of cars sold adds up. What you are asking for is just unrealistic--car companies are not going to spend money to pre-equip cars, at no additional cost added to the purchase price, so that it will be "easier" in the future to add options that could have been ordered when the car was made; nor are they going to stick the buyer with added cost to cover this "future expansion" concept. There's nothing here intended as an "attack"--just a reality check. It's a nice idea, but it's not realistic (except if you are talking strictly about things that can be added as software, like what Tesla does).

Last edited by tex2670; 01-18-2016 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0