F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Negotiation tips when building to order
Studio RSR

05-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #23
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imperial 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
$599 was the dealer fee, CA said he couldn't waive it so he reduced the price of the car instead but that $599 has to stay on the paper work. Also I have no MACO fee on my paperwork.
Ah its possible the MACO is the dealer fee in your case.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue12 View Post
Ah its possible the MACO is the dealer fee in your case.
I guess.

I know I worked really hard to get that price below edmunds price. The only they wouldn't budge on are the fees and I couldn't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Building a car to order is different than buying off the lot because while showroom models are already sitting there (the dealer wants them gone to make room for more cars) if you build one then the dealer must order it. This means occupying space on the lot with it until you pick it up and one fewer "showroom" car that he can order. Theres also the chance that you put in the deposit and order but never pick the car up. While you would lose your deposit the dealership would now be taxed with selling the car which you may have ordered in less desirable colors/options. For these reasons you may be able to get a little bit off but if you order a car you will likely pay close to MSRP.

The same is true of shipping a car from another dealership to yours. When the dealership occupies a lot space specifically for you then your price negotiation becomes limited.
Almost every sentence in this post is wrong.

First of all, if you cancel an order, you do not lose your deposit. As a matter of fact, I didn't even have to put a deposit down to order the car. I did not pay close to MSRP. My dealer immediately agreed to Invoice + $500. I eventually got it for invoice price + $0. And an ordered vehicle does not come out of their showroom allotments. Seriously. Where did you get your info?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imperial 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post

First of all, if you cancel an order, you do not lose your deposit. As a matter of fact, I didn't even have to put a deposit down to order the car. I did not pay close to MSRP. My dealer immediately agreed to Invoice + $500. I eventually got it for invoice price + $0. And an ordered vehicle does not come out of their showroom allotments. Seriously. Where did you get your info?
I think its possible that custom orders do come from dealer allotments, but I agree with you that it seems easier to get a deal on an ordered car. If you got invoice on a 335 you are the man.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
I think its possible that custom orders do come from dealer allotments, but I agree with you that it seems easier to get a deal on an ordered car. If you got invoice on a 335 you are the man.
This is completely separate from the number of orders for their showroom floor. Every dealer has an allotted amount of custom orders per month, called allocations. If they do a custom order from you, it doesn't not come out of show room allotment.

I was replying to this statement by PINeely: "one fewer "showroom" car that he can order"
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:

+1

The only side note is that sometime dealers will tell you that your car is "factory ordered" when in fact they just looked at their already inbound shipments and found a match. Then it does come out of their "allotment".... but who cares? That shouldn't affect your price at all
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #29
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo
Quote:
This is completely separate from the number of orders for their showroom floor. Every dealer has an allotted amount of custom orders per month, called allocations. If they do a custom order from you, it doesn't not come out of show room allotment.

I was replying to this statement by PINeely: "one fewer "showroom" car that he can order"
Just to clarify regarding allotments. You're saying a custom order comes out a certain number allotted monthly to the dealer. In contrast, European Delivery orders don't come out of that allotment, correct?
1973 Baikalblau 3.0 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #30
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter View Post
Just to clarify regarding allotments. You're saying a custom order comes out a certain number allotted monthly to the dealer. In contrast, European Delivery orders don't come out of that allotment, correct?
I'm not sure on ED. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #31
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

Quote:
I'm not sure on ED. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
The reason I say this is that one of the ED negotiating points has been, "here take $X over ED invoice, (because you'll never have to floor the car and it doesn't come out of your allotment)"
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #32
Save Bluth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: non-Beemer (for now)

speaking of allotments.... how many 335i build slots would you think a relatively large dealership would get per month (and early in the production period, since this may matter too)?
retired: '94 325is l Black l Black l 5MT
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter View Post
The reason I say this is that one of the ED negotiating points has been, "here take $X over ED invoice, (because you'll never have to floor the car and it doesn't come out of your allotment)"
Is this a good way to start a conversation with a dealer for an ED order? I really want to order kind of what I configured in BMWConfig, and my budget is very close to it. That tool has put into perspective what I can afford, and I want to use it as the bargaining tool when heading to a dealer. I'm just worried dealers around me are 100% clueless, and I'd end up paying for it.
Appreciate 0