F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Insurance & BMW Used Parts
GetBMWParts

01-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #23
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Originally Posted by Wgosma:
That seems a valid point-but: in reading OP's initial posting it seems both the independent shop and BMW acknowledged the fault code is present because the component is not OEM BMW.
If that is the case, then fair to conclude the fault code has been present since time of repair.

The body shop was not independent. it is the same BMW dealer in my region. They have a body shop and BMW store under same umbrella.

The error codes were 4 pages, it was obviously related to work pergformed before, but the body shop did not take the car to the BMW store to properly clean the errors...
Now the same BMW dealer cleaned most of errors, but only two are remainig due to recycled steering rack.
IN THE END IT THE SAME TO TAKE THE CAR TO A FORD BODYSHOP OR TO CORNER BODYSHOP... I TRIED TO KEEP WITH BMW, BUT THEY ARE NOT COMMITED WITH CLEAN JOB.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloxxi View Post
Originally Posted by Wgosma:
That seems a valid point-but: in reading OP's initial posting it seems both the independent shop and BMW acknowledged the fault code is present because the component is not OEM BMW.
If that is the case, then fair to conclude the fault code has been present since time of repair.

The body shop was not independent. it is the same BMW dealer in my region. They have a body shop and BMW store under same umbrella.

The error codes were 4 pages, it was obviously related to work pergformed before, but the body shop did not take the car to the BMW store to properly clean the errors...
Now the same BMW dealer cleaned most of errors, but only two are remainig due to recycled steering rack.
IN THE END IT THE SAME TO TAKE THE CAR TO A FORD BODYSHOP OR TO CORNER BODYSHOP... I TRIED TO KEEP WITH BMW, BUT THEY ARE NOT COMMITED WITH CLEAN JOB.
I understand- this seems odd that the related steering fault code cannot be cleared, but I'm certainly no expert on this stuff.
As you stated, learning experience- I was not aware of the use of remanufactured, etc. parts, I always presumed components would be new OEM.

this could be potential issue if/when you sell the car and pre-buy inspection shows fault; at least you can explain situation to prospective buyer, not as good as NO codes but you could be faced with worse issue.
Good luck going forward!
Bill
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      01-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

If the fault code was caused by a used part not being registered/coded properly, that should be part of the repair.

If the fault code is caused by the re-used OEM part, then the only way to correct is by replacing the part. That is what a BMW Dealership would need to do to clear it.

Bottom line.

Take to BMW and get estimate of what it will cost to fix because your statements of BMW being able to code out, but will not do it for you, do not connect.

Get an estimate and price for everything.

If it can be correctly coded by BMW, get a price for it.

Then decide what to do.

If it’s the part, call a lawyer.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 01-04-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      11-04-2022, 05:55 AM   #26
Java440x
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 440x

Steering rack issue

My cars power steering went out all of a sudden code says it's the steering rack so I bought a used one from a car with less miles on it I then got that one coded in and now I feel whenever I'm on the gas hard my car will just wanna sway across making my steering feel numb anyone know what it could be