F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New F30 Owner
ARMA SPEED

10-26-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Waveslider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 320i xDrive

New F30 Owner

Oy lads, just picked up my first BMW and am stoked to find this forum. Learning a lot as I've been browsing the last few hours.

I have questions about the Emergency Services malfunction light that came up on my dash, literally as I drove off the lot, and also about adding CarPlay. I'll get to those questions in the appropriate sections.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 11:09 PM   #2
edmfperez
breaks things
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montegoblau 6MT

Welcome. Have you been able to scan the car for the malfunction? From what I’ve read here it might have to do with a failure of the SOS Aerial Antenna.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 11:17 PM   #3
Waveslider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmfperez View Post
Welcome. Have you been able to scan the car for the malfunction? From what I’ve read here it might have to do with a failure of the SOS Aerial Antenna.
Thanks for the reply. The dealer (used lot, not BMW) is telling me it's the TCU battery. From what I've read it seems like either that, or the TCU itself. It sounds like water can get in through the roof antenna and fry the TCU. However, I'm not sure if the TCU is located in the trunk or in the headliner so need to find out.
I'm going to call BMW tomorrow and see if my factory warranty is still active. I'm under on miles but not sure on time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
thelifeofmikeyy
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I had this same malfunction occur when I purchased my CPO F30. TCU battery was replaced under warranty and it hasnt been an issue since. Welcome and congrats on the new ride!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
Draken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Adding carplay is pretty easy. I just did it on mine and wireless carplay works flawlessly. Just need to find out your radio firmware and there's plenty of sites to do some coding in order to unlock it. Takes some $$$ but relatively cheap depending on what you'll need.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Welcome to the joys of BMW, won't be your last malfunction light . Let the 320i be your detuned daily driver and it'll last, tune it and you'll wish you had a 328i, which is built more robustly for tuning and driving hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #7
Waveslider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifeofmikeyy View Post
I had this same malfunction occur when I purchased my CPO F30. TCU battery was replaced under warranty and it hasnt been an issue since. Welcome and congrats on the new ride!
Thanks for the reply. I have about 2 weeks left on warranty so have set an appointment for Monday. They told me that it is covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
Waveslider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
Adding carplay is pretty easy. I just did it on mine and wireless carplay works flawlessly. Just need to find out your radio firmware and there's plenty of sites to do some coding in order to unlock it. Takes some $$$ but relatively cheap depending on what you'll need.
I sent my vin to bimmer tech and they sent back the report as follows:

Head Unit: ENAVEVO
I-Level (current): F020-20-03-524
I-Level (factory): F020-18-07-547

Can I get CarPlay on this for a reasonable price? There's no nav in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #9
Waveslider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Welcome to the joys of BMW, won't be your last malfunction light . Let the 320i be your detuned daily driver and it'll last, tune it and you'll wish you had a 328i, which is built more robustly for tuning and driving hard.
I bought with eyes wide open knowing I would have to deal with lights on occasion. I have a Q7 currently and have previously had other Audi's and Vdubs.

I was just hoping I'de make it at least a couple miles before something popped up 😂. When I test drove the car all was well, no lights and drove great. Immediately after signing the purchase agreement I went and got in the car and the emergency services light came on. I assume the dealer cleared it and it lasted for one test drive before resetting 🤣. Oh well it's the price we pay for the privilege of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolkg88 View Post
Looks gorgeous!!! Congratulations.
Where dem picz at?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
Bootboot340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i 6mt Stage 1

It's most likely the battery located in the roof above the 3rd brake light. Warranty it if you can. Otherwise the easy way is to code the notification out with Bimmercode. Search on YouTube, there is a good video. It worked perfectly for me.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveslider View Post
Quote:
Welcome. Have you been able to scan the car for the malfunction? From what I've read here it might have to do with a failure of the SOS Aerial Antenna.
Thanks for the reply. The dealer (used lot, not BMW) is telling me it's the TCU battery. From what I've read it seems like either that, or the TCU itself. It sounds like water can get in through the roof antenna and fry the TCU. However, I'm not sure if the TCU is located in the trunk or in the headliner so need to find out.
I'm going to call BMW tomorrow and see if my factory warranty is still active. I'm under on miles but not sure on time.
My TCU failed. You would likely get code E14600 (Ethernet connectivity). It's probably just the battery, which will trigger a code specific to the TCU battery.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 10:00 PM   #13
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride! Got any pics?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #14
Draken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
I sent my vin to bimmer tech and they sent back the report as follows:

Head Unit: ENAVEVO
I-Level (current): F020-20-03-524
I-Level (factory): F020-18-07-547

Can I get CarPlay on this for a reasonable price? There's no nav in the car.
Do this for me,
"Go to Navigation -> Press Options Button -> Go to Settings -> Go to Position & Version History -> Check Version - You will see NBTEVO_XXXXX"
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 06:17 AM   #15
Voodoo18
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i, GT350, MDX, SL55, Blazer

Quote:
Oy lads, just picked up my first BMW and am stoked to find this forum. Learning a lot as I've been browsing the last few hours.

I have questions about the Emergency Services malfunction light that came up on my dash, literally as I drove off the lot, and also about adding CarPlay. I'll get to those questions in the appropriate sections.
Lol, you too?
I bought a 2019 F36 October 3rd. Literally 1/2 way into my 550 mile drive home, I got the same malfunction notification. It now comes on probably 70% of the time. I just ignore it...for now.

Two days after I got the car home, I took it to my local BMW dealer, Bobby Rahal in Pittsburgh, for a Pa state inspection. I told them about the message and asked them to check it out. I thought that it was still under warranty until January because of the 'estimated' in service date on CarFax. It wasn't (that was my fault for not running the VIN before buying). The in service date was October 1, 2018....I was FOUR DAYS out of warranty and they told me that that is a HARD date.

I said that I understood, but was new to the dealer and new to the brand and asked if there was something that they could do for a first time BMW owner and new customer since it was so close. The SA checked and replied that they wanted to run the $150 diagnostic and then they would decided IF they could do anything.

Wrong answer. Abysmal customer service.

I told them, just do the inspection and I'll never be back. Like you, I went into this full well knowing that these cars need more attention that Japanese grocery getters, and Im okay with it, so Im not upset about the malfunction. This looks like an easy DIY fix and I'll either do it myself or take it to the independent German mechanic that I use for my MB.

Bobby Rahal will not see another dime of my money.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #16
edmfperez
breaks things
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montegoblau 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo18 View Post
Lol, you too?
I bought a 2019 F36 October 3rd. Literally 1/2 way into my 550 mile drive home, I got the same malfunction notification. It now comes on probably 70% of the time. I just ignore it...for now.

Two days after I got the car home, I took it to my local BMW dealer, Bobby Rahal in Pittsburgh, for a Pa state inspection. I told them about the message and asked them to check it out. I thought that it was still under warranty until January because of the 'estimated' in service date on CarFax. It wasn't (that was my fault for not running the VIN before buying). The in service date was October 1, 2018....I was FOUR DAYS out of warranty and they told me that that is a HARD date.

I said that I understood, but was new to the dealer and new to the brand and asked if there was something that they could do for a first time BMW owner and new customer since it was so close. The SA checked and replied that they wanted to run the $150 diagnostic and then they would decided IF they could do anything.

Wrong answer. Abysmal customer service.

I told them, just do the inspection and I'll never be back. Like you, I went into this full well knowing that these cars need more attention that Japanese grocery getters, and Im okay with it, so Im not upset about the malfunction. This looks like an easy DIY fix and I'll either do it myself or take it to the independent German mechanic that I use for my MB.

Bobby Rahal will not see another dime of my money.
Good on you. Screw shops that can't catch new people a break. That's a one way ticket to ruin your shop's rep imo
      11-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #17
Voodoo18
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i, GT350, MDX, SL55, Blazer

Quote:
Good on you. Screw shops that can't catch new people a break. That's a one way ticket to ruin your shop's rep imo
Yep. And people have told me that they're one of the most reputable in the area.

I wasn't looking for a freebee. I understand it was my fault for not running the VIN and knowing for sure when the in service date was.

But it would've been appreciated if they would've run the diagnostic for free and covered 50...40...20...10...or some per percent of the bill.
Or agree to a percent before the diagnostic, then run it.

Or just flat out say there's nothing that they could do.

But to try to squeeze me for $150 so that they could tell me IF there was something that could be done, is bull.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 07:21 PM   #18
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Yeah f*ck dem scroogez. Better spend that money on an OBD tool and you can diagnose shit whenever the f*ck you want for free and reset codes or code new batteries. Stick it to the man!
Appreciate 0