F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A couple question on F30 options
GetBMWParts

03-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #45
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
The Shortcut keys are some of the best features BMW has ever created but so few people take advantage of. Most people think they are radio station presets when, in fact, they are shortcuts to almost any feature buried in iDrive that you want quick access to.

HUD is a fantastic feature but if you're keeping costs down, skip it. It's not one of those "regret" features. Since you're bringing it up, this is...

The Official F3X Regrets List (in priority order):

Xenon Lights
Widescreen LCD
XDrive w/o Sport Suspension
Dynamic Handling Package
Comfort Access
M-Sport Line
Harmon Kardon Audio
Not Asking For Free All-Season Mats at Delivery

The old #1 on the list- Streaming via Enhanced Bluetooth & USB- is standard on the car now but still affects 2012 and 2013's for the CPO crowd.
Interesting that you list Comfort Access. That's basically the difference between Premium package and leather seats. Since all F3x cars have keyless ignition, I thought that might be worth skipping.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #46
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm3 View Post
Interesting that you list Comfort Access. That's basically the difference between Premium package and leather seats. Since all F3x cars have keyless ignition, I thought that might be worth skipping.
That list comes from 10 years worth of participation in discussion forums, those are the features most often listed as regrets buy new owners.

Once you get used to keeping your key fob permanently in your pocket you never go back. Just reach for the door handle, it opens. Hands full of groceries? Just swipe your foot under the trunk and it opens. Have a Gran Coupe? Another foot swipe closes the trunk too.

It's a similar conversation to HUD. The truly luxurious and technologically advanced features cost more money, but BMW allows you to remove them to save a bit. Have you considered leasing? On a lease, these features only cost a few dollars a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #47
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That list comes from 10 years worth of participation in discussion forums, those are the features most often listed as regrets buy new owners.

Once you get used to keeping your key fob permanently in your pocket you never go back. Just reach for the door handle, it opens. Hands full of groceries? Just swipe your foot under the trunk and it opens. Have a Gran Coupe? Another foot swipe closes the trunk too.

It's a similar conversation to HUD. The truly luxurious and technologically advanced features cost more money, but BMW allows you to remove them to save a bit. Have you considered leasing? On a lease, these features only cost a few dollars a month.
It's more of a personalization thing than a money thing. I don't like buying what I don't use. I guess I can see the comfort access thing, but I really don't think I would regret not getting it. I'm still on the fence with both the Tech and Premium packages. I realize we are only talking about a $1750 difference (for both packages) on a $50k+ car.

I plan on this being more of a long term car for me, so a lease is not what I'm looking for. I regret selling my '02 330ci, that I bought european delivery, after getting the track bug and then buying a series of 3 e36 m3s. Should have never sold that 330. I've learned that I tend to bond with my cars, treat them right and enjoy keeping them longer than most with a few tasteful mods along the way to keep them fresh and interesting.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #48
mybmw4
Power User
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive GC

I live in BC so cannot answer #1-3

The nav is accurate and informative. HUD is a must and it will give you much convenience. You won't regret.

2015 BMW 435i xDrive GC | Premium | Executive | ConnectedDrive | M Sport | M Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #49
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
It's more of a personalization thing than a money thing. I don't like buying what I don't use. I guess I can see the comfort access thing, but I really don't think I would regret not getting it. I'm still on the fence with both the Tech and Premium packages. I realize we are only talking about a $1750 difference (for both packages) on a $50k+ car.

I plan on this being more of a long term car for me, so a lease is not what I'm looking for. I regret selling my '02 330ci, that I bought european delivery, after getting the track bug and then buying a series of 3 e36 m3s. Should have never sold that 330. I've learned that I tend to bond with my cars, treat them right and enjoy keeping them longer than most with a few tasteful mods along the way to keep them fresh and interesting.
Good post, love the objectivity.

If you're keeping this car long-term, and I mean like 7+ years, get the HUD and get the Comfort Access. These features will be standard on all cars in a few years, you'll a) be happy you've got them in your aging ride and b) ultimately it'll help you on resale.

Let's talk exterior colors and interior color/trim combos. What are your thoughts? You've got two-tone options and you've got the big wood vs. aluminum decision. Let's have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #50
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Let's talk exterior colors and interior color/trim combos. What are your thoughts? You've got two-tone options and you've got the big wood vs. aluminum decision. Let's have it.
Well you might not like the decision. I'm more of a stealth guy.

First, I chose the 335 over the 435 gc because my kids (12&14) are too tall for the back seat of the 435 (I love the look of that car though). So it's 335i, M sport, I'm going mineral grey with black dakota and anthracite wood dash, the M brakes and ferric grey 18" wheels. I really like the M performance front lip spoiler. I think it really finishes the front end of the M sport, but I've decided to start stock and add if/when I start feeling that itch. If I do get the front lip, I will paint all but the bottom lip MG to make it look less like an add-on. The one I drove had the M performance exhaust and I loved the sound. And what's crazy is my wife did too! She even liked the rear diffuser. Again, I'll add the exhaust later, but probably not too much later. I'm also in love with the F10 M5 wheels and if/when I ever decide to change, I'll get the reps in 19" (I personally think 20s are too big). I think a slight drop (like M perf suspension) looks perfect, but this is a family car and I will keep it stock M sport. I'm sorting out the options and then the decision of ED or US delivery. We loved our ED trip in '01, but there are a lot of moving parts with a family of 4. It's definitely geared toward the car geek in all of us. Current plan is to have kids stay with my mom and wife and I go for a couple of weeks, then take a long weekend, family road trip when the car arrives stateside. We shall see. Thanks for asking...

Oh, and one last thing. After all this research to figure out exactly what I want on the car, I've decided to wait for the '16 340i (should be able to order in July), so I'll probably have to start all over again.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #51
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Comfort access

So, I understand now that comfort access lets you unlock the doors without pulling the fob out of your pocket, but does it lock the car as well, or do I have to lock the car with the fob when I walk away. I assume so, but thought I'd ask. Still on the fence regarding the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #52
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
So, I understand now that comfort access lets you unlock the doors without pulling the fob out of your pocket, but does it lock the car as well, or do I have to lock the car with the fob when I walk away. I assume so, but thought I'd ask. Still on the fence regarding the premium package.
With Comfort Access you lock the car by touching the outside door handle on the top, quite convenient.

Also don't underestimate how useful the kick-open trunk feature is, another that's becoming quite common now on lots of cars.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #53
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
With Comfort Access you lock the car by touching the outside door handle on the top, quite convenient.

Also don't underestimate how useful the kick-open trunk feature is, another that's becoming quite common now on lots of cars.
That is convenient. I'm still not sure its worth the extra $750 though, but thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #54
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
To this day, I still can't get it to work. I feel like I've tried virtually every way of getting it to open, it never works.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #55
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
To this day, I still can't get it to work. I feel like I've tried virtually every way of getting it to open, it never works.
It's definitely super easy to activate on the 2015s (or they improved the sensor on the GC), but even on my 2012 F30 it worked first time 9 out of 10 times. Don't need to do the kick always either, I'm usually loading or unloading my tennis gear so a swipe under the bumper with a racquet will activate it easily too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #56
James550i6spd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
That is convenient. I'm still not sure its worth the extra $750 though, but thanks for the info.
haha. Comfort Access is standard on so many cars that I decided not to get it out of principle

I'm on the opposite spectrum of most people here..only option I got was the M-sport package and rear backup camera. Ignorance is bliss, because I am completely happy with my options (or lack of). HUD seems gimmicky to me, and for the 1% of the time that I need NAV, my phone has it covered. Awesome things to have nonetheless, but not worth thousands IMO.

ISO of Manual 535/550/335
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #57
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James335i6spd View Post
haha. Comfort Access is standard on so many cars that I decided not to get it out of principle

I'm on the opposite spectrum of most people here..only option I got was the M-sport package and rear backup camera. Ignorance is bliss, because I am completely happy with my options (or lack of). HUD seems gimmicky to me, and for the 1% of the time that I need NAV, my phone has it covered. Awesome things to have nonetheless, but not worth thousands IMO.
I've definitely considered going the more simple route. If it were just me, I would do exactly what you did, but since it will be a family car too, I think I'll add a few amenities, probably Nav and HK, possibly Tech, Premium and Driver asst.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #58
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
My last car had the equivalent of Comfort Access, as standard equipment. I like it, better than the BMW basic keyless, perhaps enough to pay another $750. If I was building my own I'd seriously consider it. But buying out of dealer stock I'd have had to get other options that I didn't want, so I didn't get it and it's no big deal.
My only must-haves were nav and rear camera. My must not-have was low profile tires, they're an invitation for tire and wheel damage in pothole land. That pretty much took everything but base model off the table, but I'm quite pleased with it anyway.
Regarding the nav, it does seem ridiculous to pay $2100 for it, but the ten years of Assist that comes with it makes it worthwhile. Also, being able to send an address to it from Google Maps is great. That's how I've entered all of my destinations, other than my home.

Last edited by Billfitz; 03-25-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #59
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
I know this is a few days old, but the key to getting the kick to work is to stand right behind the trunk Roundel and kick just under it as well.

3 years ago when I first got my F30, thought it was the coolest/goofy looking feature in the world. People were just so amazed in parking lots when I had full hands and would kick behind the car; cute and useful.

I also got the Tech Pack with HUD for the first time on a 3 series. Wow!, just Wow! The absolute most useful tech feature I've ever seen (Pun). Everyone has detailed the usefulness, but I'll stress again, if you're paying this much for a car, and plan to keep it for longer than 5 years, it's not smart to skip on tech features.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #60
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
I know this is a few days old, but the key to getting the kick to work is to stand right behind the trunk Roundel and kick just under it as well.

3 years ago when I first got my F30, thought it was the coolest/goofy looking feature in the world. People were just so amazed in parking lots when I had full hands and would kick behind the car; cute and useful.

I also got the Tech Pack with HUD for the first time on a 3 series. Wow!, just Wow! The absolute most useful tech feature I've ever seen (Pun). Everyone has detailed the usefulness, but I'll stress again, if you're paying this much for a car, and plan to keep it for longer than 5 years, it's not smart to skip on tech features.
I have the opposite affect. I stand in a parking lot with groceries in each hand and try to open it. I end up looking like a fool.

I've gotten it to work once, I'll try it again sometime.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #61
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have the opposite affect. I stand in a parking lot with groceries in each hand and try to open it. I end up looking like a fool.

I've gotten it to work once, I'll try it again sometime.
The only time I can't get my trunk to kick open is if I am in my garage, with the garage door closed. I guess it forces me to stand too close, and the angle that I'm kicking from doesn't register. But outside--no probs.
Appreciate 0