F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Insurance "company error"
Studio RSR

01-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Nationwide is incompetent

Listen to this crazy story I have about Nationwide.. So i purchased my BMW 7 months ago and loved every second of it. Recently I was checking out my insurance statements and saw my BMW wasn't listed even though i called my insurance company when i first purchased it. I quickly called the insurance company and they stated I have 0 insurance and haven't had any for about 7 months LOL. The best part about this is that they are trying to charge me for the 7 months I was not insured so I don't get penalized by the DMV. I am currently in fight with them. Stay away from Nationwide.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Wow, that never would have flown here in IL because they would have yanked your registration. When I traded in my Z4 and X5, the insurance company (AAA) cancelled all our policies, including the one for my wife's Civic. We found out when the RMV sent a letter saying her registration had been revoked because of a lack of insurance. Was a PITA fixing that screw up.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Don't you get an insurance card in the mail or online after changing cars? Did you pay the premium upfront and get a refund or make monthly payments?
      01-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

If they are offering to reinstate back that far then DO IT NOW.

The DMV doesn't care if you are unhappy with Nationwide.

And getting the shaft from the DMV will cost you way more than Nationwide since it will likely force your rates up anywhere you go for a couple of years.

Plus when you go shopping you can say you have continuous coverage.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Don't you get an insurance card in the mail or online after changing cars? Did you pay the premium upfront and get a refund or make monthly payments?
I got the insurance card a couple days after i bought the car, they just never renewed it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post

And getting the shaft from the DMV will cost you way more than Nationwide since it will likely force your rates up anywhere you go for a couple of years.

i have to see if i even need to back date in my state, i'm currently trying to see if they can just waive the charges since it's not even my fault.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM View Post
Quote:
I got the insurance card a couple days after i bought the car, they just never renewed it.
Every auto insurance I've ever had automatically cancels the policy if the renewal premium is not paid. Are you saying you paid for the renewal and they didn't renew it? If that's the case then not sure how they can try to collect from you again. If you didn't pay for renewal I don't understand the complaint.
Ric in RVA1464.00
      01-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have to see if i even need to back date in my state, i'm currently trying to see if they can just waive the charges since it's not even my fault.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-in...hout-insurance

They will charge you if coverage was in force....whether you used it or not.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Every auto insurance I've ever had automatically cancels the policy if the renewal premium is not paid. Are you saying you paid for the renewal and they didn't renew it? If that's the case then not sure how they can try to collect from you again. If you didn't pay for renewal I don't understand the complaint.
The thing is I bought the car and signed with them for insurance. They got my card information for automatic pay, after the first month they never threw me on the policy, nor did they inform me. So i have to pay for a back date which I was not covered for. If i got into an accident they could've easily said, "oh sorry your car isn't on the policy." The problem is they never added me or informed me that they didn't officially add me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I understand that, every insurance company does.. But what i'm saying is technically I wasn't on the plan due to their incompetent reps. So why do I have to pay all extra cash for services I wasn't even officially covered for...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I understand that, every insurance company does.. But what i'm saying is technically I wasn't on the plan due to their incompetent reps. So why do I have to pay all extra cash for services I wasn't even officially covered for...
I believe it is still your responsibility to get the temp insurance card which would serve as proof of the changes and also an updated policy to reflect the changes.

If you didn't get those and didn't do anything for 7 months, I wouldn't be blaming the insurance company. It's not a call and forget it kind of thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
I believe it is still your responsibility to get the temp insurance card which would serve as proof of the changes and also an updated policy to reflect the changes.

If you didn't get those and didn't do anything for 7 months, I wouldn't be blaming the insurance company. It's not a call and forget it kind of thing.
I have the temp card they send and a normal card. They did a forget type thing on me, esp since I due automatic payments. You would think once you throw a car on a plan and you have automatic payments the coverage would still be active.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #13
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Listen to this crazy story I have about Nationwide.. So i purchased my BMW 7 months ago and loved every second of it. Recently I was checking out my insurance statements and saw my BMW wasn't listed even though i called my insurance company when i first purchased it. I quickly called the insurance company and they stated I have 0 insurance and haven't had any for about 7 months LOL. The best part about this is that they are trying to charge me for the 7 months I was not insured so I don't get penalized by the DMV. I am currently in fight with them. Stay away from Nationwide.
From personal experiences in the past with Nationwide, stay the fuck away from them. They are fucking horrible. I'd highly recommend The Travelers Companies to any one any day.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:37 AM   #14
coo-pey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

I had a somewhat related story. Years ago, wife and I bought some new vehicle. I don't even remember what it was. Anyway, we financed it though our CU and insured it via State Farm on the same day. A few months later, we got a letter from the CU stating we did not have insurance on the car and that they were going to charge us about triple what State Farm charges us. Obviously this was an error on some ones part, but not ours. So we had State Farm send an email/letter to the CU to clear things up.

Yeah, not the same, but your story made me think of this. Hope you get your situation fixed.
      01-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:

I have the temp card they send and a normal card. They did a forget type thing on me, esp since I due automatic payments. You would think once you throw a car on a plan and you have automatic payments the coverage would still be active.
You never noticed they weren't charging your credit card or taking money from your checking account for payments? Providing your card information to start auto payments is a convenience but I don't think it means you never have to confirm payments are being made. I have several autopay payments (including my auto insurance) but see the charges every month.

If you have an insurance card that shows a still-active policy, I think you would have a basis for dispute if you had an accident and they refused coverage, particularly if they never sent notices of cancellation. However, you didn't have an accident and contend your intent was to pay for the policy but they didn't take your payment. I'm not sure there is an argument you don't owe the payments now unless you want to treat the policy as cancelled ever since they said coverage stopped.
      01-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #16
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So PA doesn't bend you over about driving uninsured.

What you are getting is a gift. Take it. Pay it. Shop it and move on. All done here.

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
You never noticed they weren't charging your credit card or taking money from your checking account for payments? Providing your card information to start auto payments is a convenience but I don't think it means you never have to confirm payments are being made. I have several autopay payments (including my auto insurance) but see the charges every month.

If you have an insurance card that shows a still-active policy, I think you would have a basis for dispute if you had an accident and they refused coverage, particularly if they never sent notices of cancellation. However, you didn't have an accident and contend your intent was to pay for the policy but they didn't take your payment. I'm not sure there is an argument you don't owe the payments now unless you want to treat the policy as cancelled ever since they said coverage stopped.
Only poor people look at their accounts every month. I haven't looked at mine in at least 6 months

I would make sure the DMV won't hit you with some penalty if you were not covered and then just not pay the 7 months if they won't. Change companies ASAP either way. That is pretty weird. My agent calls me every 3-4 months just to check in and update me on my policies (and try to sell me a bigger umbrella coverage, lol)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #18
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM
Quote:

No, listen to Ric.

You don't want gaps in insurance---ever.

It could come back to bite you.

Judy pay the back bill, make sure you have coverage from day 1 through today.

And, forget about it
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #19
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM
Quote:
Quote:

Well, there is this little thing in liability insurance called a "tail."

Someone else here can explain it better than me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #20
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, I am waiting for the senior analyst to get back to me and we will come to some sort of middle ground on this. Regardless they said they won't leave me hanging with an insurance gaps. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Only poor people look at their accounts every month. I haven't looked at mine in at least 6 months

I would make sure the DMV won't hit you with some penalty if you were not covered and then just not pay the 7 months if they won't. Change companies ASAP either way. That is pretty weird. My agent calls me every 3-4 months just to check in and update me on my policies (and try to sell me a bigger umbrella coverage, lol)
Only poor people and anyone that ever found a fraudulent charge hit their account and cares about stuff like that...
DETRoadster11446.00
wrickem2101.00
      01-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #22
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Only poor people and anyone that ever found a fraudulent charge hit their account and really lame accountants who like to be on top of every dollar cares about stuff like that...
FTFY
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410882.00