F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F32 435 Xdrive - Tuning
proTUNING Freaks

04-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive

F32 435 Xdrive - Tuning

First post, after a long hiatus from car modding. I started off with boosted Honda's, and I'm now onto my 3rd BMW (previously, E9* 325i + M3).

Have just recently picked up a 2014 F32 435 Xdrive with 6 speed, fully loaded, including power kit and MPE.

I'm interested in a JB4. What are the steps to take in progressing up through the power levels? I've only ever had tuners flash ECU's on my Honda's, so I'm not overly familiar with interpreting data logs or making changes to software. However, i am a dual-licensed mechanic.

I have access to 94 octane, and I'm also open to running water/meth.

Should i start with a JB4 on map one, learn to interpret data logs, then slowly start modding? Charge pipe, downpipes, intake, meth? Does my Xdrive have secondary cats? Do they mask the smell still if you remove the primaries?

Looking forward to your responses!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestodabest View Post
First post, after a long hiatus from car modding. I started off with boosted Honda's, and I'm now onto my 3rd BMW (previously, E9* 325i + M3).

Have just recently picked up a 2014 F32 435 Xdrive with 6 speed, fully loaded, including power kit and MPE.

I'm interested in a JB4. What are the steps to take in progressing up through the power levels? I've only ever had tuners flash ECU's on my Honda's, so I'm not overly familiar with interpreting data logs or making changes to software. However, i am a dual-licensed mechanic.

I have access to 94 octane, and I'm also open to running water/meth.

Should i start with a JB4 on map one, learn to interpret data logs, then slowly start modding? Charge pipe, downpipes, intake, meth? Does my Xdrive have secondary cats? Do they mask the smell still if you remove the primaries?

Looking forward to your responses!
No secondary cats. Smell is very subtle, not too noticeable; once you run catless for a week, you'll get used to it. I have a JB4 installed, and I'd tell you, get a chargepipe whether you're going to tune or not. Its a matter of reliability. Being able to withstand higher power levels is a bonus.

If you want some pretty cool noises from your engine, I'd tell you to go with the AFE Magnum Pro5R that I'm running. Sooner than later you'd need an intercooler to deal with all the heatsoak.

So my advice to you is this: Get the JB4 and go FBO (Downpipes, Chargepipe, intercooler, air intake...) and then experiment with Meth, and lastly BM3 if you're still wanting more.

Trust me, buy them all at once, and save yourself the wait, because let's face it, sooner than later you're going to end up buying all of them.

#ModLife
      04-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

JB4 is a good start. Stock to map 1 was an ok jump, but once i added a downpipe, Map 1 came alive!! I also recommend getting the chargepipe installed because it can break. Lastly, if you are going to do the chargepipe, you may as well swap in a bigger intercooler to save you some work later.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
JB4 is a good start. Stock to map 1 was an ok jump, but once i added a downpipe, Map 1 came alive!! I also recommend getting the chargepipe installed because it can break. Lastly, if you are going to do the chargepipe, you may as well swap in a bigger intercooler to save you some work later.
There's no way out of going FBO.
      04-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
No secondary cats. Smell is very subtle, not too noticeable; once you run catless for a week, you'll get used to it. I have a JB4 installed, and I'd tell you, get a chargepipe whether you're going to tune or not. Its a matter of reliability. Being able to withstand higher power levels is a bonus.

If you want some pretty cool noises from your engine, I'd tell you to go with the AFE Magnum Pro5R that I'm running. Sooner than later you'd need an intercooler to deal with all the heatsoak.

So my advice to you is this: Get the JB4 and go FBO (Downpipes, Chargepipe, intercooler, air intake...) and then experiment with Meth, and lastly BM3 if you're still wanting more.

Trust me, buy them all at once, and save yourself the wait, because let's face it, sooner than later you're going to end up buying all of them.

#ModLife
Thanks for the response! I personally don't mind the odour... i gutted my Honda's. I'm trying to avoid being a heatscore (Ontario is practically a Police state). Also, I don't want the GF giving me trouble over a stinking exhaust 🤣

Charge pipe is at the top of the list; any other mods to improve reliability? I've heard of clutches exceeding 450 wtq, but what about Xdrive? Not much info available, but from the little that I've gathered, the tcase seems to be the weak link. Input?

Regarding octane... I understand 93 is common in the states; will the extra octane point available here offer much in the way of power? At what point will meth be required to raise power levels?

Appreciate your time! Thanks everyone else for the contribution. Is there a how-to article for interpreting data logs? Or is that done remotely by Terry @ BMS?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks for the response! I personally don't mind the odour... i gutted my Honda's. I'm trying to avoid being a heatscore (Ontario is practically a Police state). Also, I don't want the GF giving me trouble over a stinking exhaust 🤣

Charge pipe is at the top of the list; any other mods to improve reliability? I've heard of clutches exceeding 450 wtq, but what about Xdrive? Not much info available, but from the little that I've gathered, the tcase seems to be the weak link. Input?

Regarding octane... I understand 93 is common in the states; will the extra octane point available here offer much in the way of power? At what point will meth be required to raise power levels?

Appreciate your time! Thanks everyone else for the contribution. Is there a how-to article for interpreting data logs? Or is that done remotely by Terry @ BMS?
Chargepipes, intercooler then whatever after that is up to you. I just recently installed my FMIC after running FBO minus IC for a couple months and noticed a huge difference. Feels like I gained 50whp/wtq.

If you want an idea on the difference, I ran against a mopar stage 1 SRT4 Caliber and he pulled a car length against me. (I'm PWG so my turbo sucks)

After FMIC installation, and a rerun. I pulled over 3 car lengths and continued to do so. This was on my map 6 custom on JB4.

Octane is critical to our cars, the better the octane, the better the knock resistance which in turn means you can run higher boost. Meth helps with that and also reduces IATs to which is a bonus.
      04-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Octane is critical to our cars, the better the octane, the better the knock resistance which in turn means you can run higher boost. Meth helps with that and also reduces IATs to which is a bonus.
I agree wholeheartedly! I'm more curious as to the powerbands of each. For instance, max power that can safely be made on 94 octane, versus max power than can be safely made on 94 + meth (stock turbo; i won't upgrade until the stock unit fails).

I'm essentially trying to justify adding meth. If it'll only allow for another 20 whp/tq on stock turbos, then it can surely wait.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that engine braking isn't nearly as effective on this car as it is on virtually any other car that I've driven. Even in second gear, it seems to practically cruise as if in neutral. I'm curious if it has something to do with BMW programming in the DME to increase mileage. I'm definitely using the brakes more often than i should need to 🤔
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Since you are open to injecting Meth, here is what I would do:

Buy full bolt ons: FMIC, chargepipe, K&N air filter (Aftermarket intakes have been known to cause issues sometimes with our cars, and our stock intake boxes are still good), and a fatless downpipe or a 200cell catted downpipe.

Then buy a meth kit, and run JB4 to run meth control.

Finally, once your meth system and FBO is set up, bring it to get a custom ECU Flash for 94Octane and meth injection. I recommend sending your DME to Frank Smith as he knows what he's doing, and should be able to help you out with these custom maps. Most of us here in the states have our maps optimized for 93, so you'd benefit by going custom.

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

#ModLife

Been running JB4 for 4 months now, not one problem. Map 6 peaking at 19psi. Bootmod3 goes in on Monday, and Meth next month.
      04-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #10
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Bestodabest you're in Toronto forget about everything look at Bootmod3 by ProTuningfreaks.com https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...stomer/portals

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Been running JB4 for 4 months now, not one problem. Map 6 peaking at 19psi. Bootmod3 goes in on Monday, and Meth next month.
Have you dyno'd yet? Mod list? Octane?

The info I'm finding about Bootmod3 is a little lacking... its still fairly new? How does it work in conjunction with JB4? Does it require modification of the DME?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Bestodabest you're in Toronto forget about everything look at Bootmod3 by ProTuningfreaks.com https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...stomer/portals
Is there a tuner locally that specializes in BM3?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there a tuner locally that specializes in BM3?
Yes check their page or email their sales

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Bootmod3 installed today. I pick up the car in a bit. I'll let you know how it goes. If you want some help with expectations from a JB4, check out this thread I started about different JB4 maps. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377890