F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > G3 Clay mitt....awesome!
Extreme Powerhouse

05-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #23
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackyDobbo_Dobster_D'BO View Post
I love your wheels my lord. I wish they would fit my starfighter II F31.
I love them too

They make a bit of wee come out every time I look at them

(Seriously, no reason why they wouldn't fit your hearse)

JLR1969 I'll just stick a bit more air in the left hand tyres and let the right hand side down a bit. Jobs a good 'un
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      05-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #24
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Autoglym rapid detailer also works well as a lube, ordered a mitt to try.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      05-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #25
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
I love them too

They make a bit of wee come out every time I look at them

(Seriously, no reason why they wouldn't fit your hearse)

JLR1969 I'll just stick a bit more air in the left hand tyres and let the right hand side down a bit. Jobs a good 'un
Where dd you purchase? I've been on Projex and the configurator said they wouldn't fit?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #26
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Where dd you purchase? I've been on Projex and the configurator said they wouldn't fit?
Got them at ProjexDesign (they dont have that specific model listed on the site).

They should fit mate. Your 335d Xdrive F31 has pretty much the same undercarriage as mine. What configurator are you using? The PCD for yours should be 5x120.

19's dont fit over the front M Sport brake calipers due to the inner strengthening lip on the wheel (I had originally ordered the 19s when I first picked up the car and we found out the hard way! Hence why I went for the satin black 2Forge ZF2s as my second choice).

20's; obviously no probs at all. My Veemanns are a collaborative design that Niche and Stance also use. The Niche have a couple more ET options but are about £400 more expensive.

Have just configured your car using the LK Performance site and they fit
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Stev443
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dark side Audi TTS

Mitt ordered today never clayed before so we shall see how it goes results from you guys looks good
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #28
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Quote:
AshMashMash , looking shiny mate

Danny Fireblade Just for you mate, new plate on and to my eye, straight

Thats spot on mate, appreciate the time and effort for correcting it
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 01:54 AM   #29
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
AshMashMash , looking shiny mate

Danny Fireblade Just for you mate, new plate on and to my eye, straight

Perfectly straight, but upside down

Your car looks fecking awesome, those new wheels really suit it.

Good tip on the mitt, will try one over the summer.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:12 AM   #30
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
I love your wheels my lord. I wish they would fit my starfighter II F31.
These will fit F31
And there are 'copies' from the likes of cm--wheels that would defo go on.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #31
Cuninho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Holy shit balls this car is becoming a serious contender in the wank bank. Loving the Vader theme man it suits the car to a T. Dat plate tho!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #32
335dxdrive
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D Xdrive

I waxed my car a couple of months ago with AG HD Wax, if I were to use a clay mit on the car npw would it remove the wax?

I did clay bar it and polish before I waxed it, but my car lives on the motorway, it takes a real hammering with dirt and bugs

I fancy a clay mitt as a clay bar is a very lengthly process
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #33
Kiddy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Yeah clay bar would remove any wax. Wash the car with Fairy Liquid first (to strip existing wax and polish residue) then clay it, then polish, then wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #34
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
I could feel the tightness and rough surface of my lower doors before hand (road shit that is invisible on a black car)
That will almost certainly be tar spots. Obvious on a white or silver car but virtually impossible to tell on a black car. Not all that obvious on EB2 either, as I am finding out.

I try and remove as much tar as I can with Tardis before claying as I have had issues in the past with small pieces of grit trapped in larger tar spots and you can imagine what happens when you start dragging those across the paint with a clay bar.

Nice mini review of the clay mitt, I think one of these could save a fair chunk of time.
      05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #35
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
That will almost certainly be tar spots. Obvious on a white or silver car but virtually impossible to tell on a black car. Not all that obvious on EB2 either, as I am finding out.

I try and remove as much tar as I can with Tardis before claying as I have had issues in the past with small pieces of grit trapped in larger tar spots and you can imagine what happens when you start dragging those across the paint with a clay bar.

Nice mini review of the clay mitt, I think one of these could save a fair chunk of time.
Yep, youre right. Used to use old skool clay bar on my Overfinch Rangie and apart from taking nearly an entire weekend, it was quite hard work. Mitt is simplicity. I'll have a try with Tardis if it builds up again but hopefully I can stay on top of it now where a bit of preventive will stop it building to the extent where Stevie Wonder could have read a good novel on my lower doors!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:16 AM   #36
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

my first experience of the clay mitt was after one of my lads come over with his brand new black Focus RS - he had driven through white emulsion the night before and his car looked like a Windows 95 screen saver!!! A good rub down with the mitt and it was back to showroom in no time (apart from the tyres lol).

As others have said - this is only one of the first stages ofpaint de-contamination and should only be done before waxing or sealing the paint. The idea is to remove anything that would cause damage to the paint during polishing.

I'm planning to invest in some Rupes kit over the summer and will need couple of these before I can get into full on surface correction. Far easier than clay bar!!!

Car looks awesome by the way - I saw it at the SRR day and thought the wheels looked even better in person!
      05-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #37
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Beautiful car, you've got that looking lovely mate!

I also have a Farecla G3 mitt but I'm not sure if I will use it any more. They are insanely good at removing bonded contaminants and it does leave the paintwork super silky smooth, you just need to be careful to use lots of lubricant (shampoo or QD) as the mitt can leave very fine signs of marring. I had my local detailer start working on paint correction on my car and he could notice super fine marring from the mitt (visible under special light). You also have to be careful not to apply too much pressure when using the mitt as bits of the rubber can dispense itself on the bodywork.

Because I have OCD, this bothers me but I see that you use a chamois (I wouldn't dare use a chamois any more) so the G3 mitt is probably an awesome piece of kit for most of you.

Once again, stunning car!
      05-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #38
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Got them at ProjexDesign (they dont have that specific model listed on the site).

They should fit mate. Your 335d Xdrive F31 has pretty much the same undercarriage as mine. What configurator are you using? The PCD for yours should be 5x120.

19's dont fit over the front M Sport brake calipers due to the inner strengthening lip on the wheel (I had originally ordered the 19s when I first picked up the car and we found out the hard way! Hence why I went for the satin black 2Forge ZF2s as my second choice).

20's; obviously no probs at all. My Veemanns are a collaborative design that Niche and Stance also use. The Niche have a couple more ET options but are about £400 more expensive.

Have just configured your car using the LK Performance site and they fit
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

They will fit.

That's another £1k that needs 'investing'. Bugger. They would look mint though.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #39
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

They will fit.

That's another £1k that needs 'investing'. Bugger. They would look mint though.

I'll drink to that!

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #40
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedb View Post
Beautiful car, you've got that looking lovely mate!

I also have a Farecla G3 mitt but I'm not sure if I will use it any more. They are insanely good at removing bonded contaminants and it does leave the paintwork super silky smooth, you just need to be careful to use lots of lubricant (shampoo or QD) as the mitt can leave very fine signs of marring. I had my local detailer start working on paint correction on my car and he could notice super fine marring from the mitt (visible under special light). You also have to be careful not to apply too much pressure when using the mitt as bits of the rubber can dispense itself on the bodywork.

Because I have OCD, this bothers me but I see that you use a chamois (I wouldn't dare use a chamois any more) so the G3 mitt is probably an awesome piece of kit for most of you.

Once again, stunning car!
I think that most clays will cause marring to some degree. Most are designed to be used as as part of a fairly comprehensive detailing process that will include at least some light polishing. You can probably get away with it on a light coloured paint but on polished black paint it is hard to do anything that doesn't spoil a pristine mirror finish.
      05-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #41
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post
Looks great! Just remember the clay is supposed to be a prep so you now need to seal it with a wax or polish
Excuse my ignorance but does that mean a clay mitt strips any polish already on the car and you then have to reapply it once you've used the mitt?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #42
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but does that mean a clay mitt strips any polish already on the car and you then have to reapply it once you've used the mitt?
I would not be surprised if a soft, show wax was diminished to a certain degree by claying but I would expect a harder synthetic wax or polymer sealant to be more resistant. In my limited experience Mequiars Qwik Clay doesn't seem to diminish CQuartz UK ceramic coating or FK1000P synthetic wax.

As has already been stated, claying is meant to be used in preparation of the paint for polishing and waxing, not for pimping already corrected and/or sealed paint. Ideally you would wax or seal your paint as frequently as or more frequently than you clay or polish.