F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > A NEW 10.25" Android 7.1, 2GB / 32GB OPTION! CHECK INSIDE!
Studio RSR

05-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #309
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Supernova66
Did you check the voice input part?
I really would like to voice input my destination but I think the external optional mic is for bluetooth only.
I just need Louie to confirm that if I dont connect it, it uses the internal mic for this. Then onlu USD5 lost

I just received an email to confirm my shipping addres and I have NBT with 6 pin LVDS (which I have).
When my mic question is answered, they are ready to ship

The USD15 will be returned after the end-date of the group buy I heard from Louie.

Last edited by DRuw; 05-23-2018 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #310
uluvsg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
Not to worry, it is very simple. The GPS antenna from the shark fin is connected to the radio, not the 8.8 screen. The connector is blue and the wire is just long enough to get to the radio. The splitter plugs into the first blue connector and has 2 separate leads. One for the radio and one for the 10.25. I think if you purchase the one DRwu listed you will be fine.
Thanks for the prompt response supernova66!

One last question is

If the factory antenna cable (the one connected to radio unit) is long enough, can I just take it out and connect it to 10.25 without using gps splitter?

Does the raido unit need gps signal from the sharkfin gps antenna cable?
Is gps signal to radio unit necessary for some functions of original idrive unit (e.g. to retrieve data into new android unit?)

Sorry for silly questions but im learning a lot from the experts in this forum.
Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #311
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
So I got thinking... why have the USB cables dangle from my glovebox. I think I have the solution... My first choice would be where the cig lighter is in the console, but second will be under dash in the other 12v adapter spot.
Good option!
I know there is also a horizontal slot available in the glovebox but if you plug something in you cant close it anymore.
I will use one plug for my DAB so I only have 1 connection in my glovebox which I do not have problems with, there is also a pre-cut and covered hole in the back of the glove box.

About installation, I would actually recommend removing the glovebox itself.
11 screws in total and you have complete access to the guts of the car, also the back or the radio (with somewhat smaller than average hands that is..)
Very easy to route the cables that way so if you have the time, I would do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluvsg View Post
Thanks for the prompt response supernova66!

One last question is

If the factory antenna cable (the one connected to radio unit) is long enough, can I just take it out and connect it to 10.25 without using gps splitter?

Does the raido unit need gps signal from the sharkfin gps antenna cable?
Is gps signal to radio unit necessary for some functions of original idrive unit (e.g. to retrieve data into new android unit?)

Sorry for silly questions but im learning a lot from the experts in this forum.
Many thanks in advance!
The factory antenna cable is to short to go up to the screen.
I dont know if other functions need the GPS signal, perhaps it is tied-in to more functions and you can get a signal error but I doubt it..
The android unit is completely seperate from the factory radio.
If you use the factory radio on screen, it just acts as a "dumb" screen.
No info is transmitted other than the video signal.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #312
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D MY2016

Quote:
I have used the "Hey Google" without any issues and no extra mic hooked up. I currently have the system out of the car to install the GPS splitter and run the dual USB cables to the glovebox so I can not run any tests right now. I am getting auto WiFi connection to my saved hotspots. Not sure how you are configured
Supernova66 Could you please take a photo of your firmware version and post it here? If you can use it flawlessly, so my unit has a defect T_T

Mine
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:51 AM   #313
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

wacky007 Thirdy losdamianos Grandelama
I have just had contact with Louie and it seems that the unit EITHER had the external mic OR the internal.
It is not an addon.
Oficially, the mic is only for bluetooth calling but since Supernova66 has his mic (internal) working with google, I dont know how it works exactly since the old mic is removed and on the connections, the external mic is soldered (cant imagine how they do it otherwise).
Perhaps (and I give this option a real chance) an USB mic wil work otherwise...
Taechit I understood that the internal mic is physically removed and replaced by an external connection. The hardware is therefore different instead of an add-on which I thought..

Last edited by DRuw; 05-23-2018 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #314
steve498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Louie said my unit should ship in two days. Also ordered the gps splitter. Hopefully other orders follow suit. I won't fit the unit until the splitter arrives but then I'm sure others will post pictures
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #315
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
Louie said my unit should ship in two days. Also ordered the gps splitter. Hopefully other orders follow suit. I won't fit the unit until the splitter arrives but then I'm sure others will post pictures
I have the same "issue".. My order is ready for shipment I heard but my cables aren't in yet and i'm not going to half-built it in
Also my DAB splitter and module are not in yet so there is a lot of china-stuff going my way
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:04 AM   #316
steve498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
I have the same "issue".. My order is ready for shipment I heard but my cables aren't in yet and i'm not going to half-built it in
Also my DAB splitter and module are not in yet so there is a lot of china-stuff going my way
Yeah the dab is out of stock. I'm going to use it without the dab splitter for now and get one if I need it. I doubt I'll use the car's nav but if I do then I never use navigation audio anyway. Can use BMW's dab and then android's google maps. I actually can't recall the last time I used navigation audio
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #317
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
Yeah the dab is out of stock. I'm going to use it without the dab splitter for now and get one if I need it. I doubt I'll use the car's nav but if I do then I never use navigation audio anyway. Can use BMW's dab and then android's google maps. I actually can't recall the last time I used navigation audio
Well thats because there is no warning for speedcameras etc in the BMW system
The android based programs do have this
I used Waze and thats very user-friendly and clear.
Google maps also works ok and is nice with the sattelite photos but will take way more data..
Damn, I cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #318
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
I have just had contact with Louie and it seems that the unit EITHER had the external mic OR the internal.
It is not an addon.
Oficially, the mic is only for bluetooth calling but since Supernova66 has his mic (internal) working with google, I dont know how it works exactly since the old mic is removed and on the connections, the external mic is soldered (cant imagine how they do it otherwise).
Taechit I understood that the internal mic is physically removed and replaced by an external connection. The hardware is therefore different instead of an add-on which I thought..
Quote:
It is not an addon.
Not sure exactly how it worked... but a long press on my voice button brings up Google which works using my BMW mic and it shows up in the display...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #319
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taechit View Post
Quote:
I have used the "Hey Google" without any issues and no extra mic hooked up. I currently have the system out of the car to install the GPS splitter and run the dual USB cables to the glovebox so I can not run any tests right now. I am getting auto WiFi connection to my saved hotspots. Not sure how you are configured
Supernova66 Could you please take a photo of your firmware version and post it here? If you can use it flawlessly, so my unit has a defect T_T

Mine
Quote:
It is not an addon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taechit View Post
Quote:

Mine
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/gMY9t8/IMG_1863.jpg[/img]
If you go back to the first pages you will see a photo of my firmware. I believe they are the same
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #320
masanada73
Rep
Drives: 14F30

Hello all. I am newby to this forum and could not hesitate to jump into this discussion and get my conclusion in 2 days after a deep research on Avinusa and others with Android 4.1.
Definitely this Ugode solution looks like the better choice.
I just put my order with Louie/Alice.
Cheers!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #321
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not sure exactly how it worked... but a long press on my voice button brings up Google which works using my BMW mic and it shows up in the display...
Ok, I see. So do you think that it use BMW mic instead of mic of the android unit?

When I hold the voice button on the steering wheel, it activate Siri on my iPhone via the original NBT system and using my BMW mic, but nothing shows on the android display. But when I try to use the google voice assistant app in the unit, it doesn't receive any voice signal, even I've already plugged my external mic.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #322
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When the package arrived, the microphone was not included in the carton, so I think this unit has an internal microphone, which I'm wrong.

Alice has sent me a new microphone cable. She said that I need to plug it in the power cable (not that 3.5' jack?, so confusing). I'll try it first and report if this annoying problem is solved or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #323
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure it uses the BMW mic?
they are two seperate systems to that should not work unless they are tied-in in the harness somewhere (which I doubt).
Supernova66 You do have a internal mic in the unit (which is replaced when you order one with the external mic) but how do you know its the BMW that picks up the voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masanada73 View Post
Cheers!!!
Please update the spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...OSU/edit#gid=0
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #324
aiwa
Rep
Drives: 328i F30

group buy

Is it too late to get in on the group buy? in not, What needs to be done exactly?

Thnaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #325
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwa View Post
Is it too late to get in on the group buy? in not, What needs to be done exactly?

Thnaks.
Group-buy is till 28-05 so you are on time.
Read this topic and if you want to buy it use the Alibaba link and option remarks in my post #224 on this page: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...481613&page=11

ps: If im correct the new price is now communicated in the order from Louie. The USD15 refund is not required for the new orders since we already reached 10+ orders.
The early buyers will probably get the refund shortly after 28-5 but Louie will contact us for this I understood.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #326
aiwa
Rep
Drives: 328i F30

Cool. One question though. What is the Dab module?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #327
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwa View Post
Cool. One question though. What is the Dab module?
Digital radio. Not for noth america.
Please check Google
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #328
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Someone tell me how Spotify and Netflix look/sound. Are there are any lip sync with videos. Also, does it maintain original aspect ratio with video and apps?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #329
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

My unit has been shipped yesterday, got stung with £18 duty tax via dhl
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #330
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
they are two seperate systems to that should not work unless they are tied-in in the harness somewhere (which I doubt).
Supernova66 You do have a internal mic in the unit (which is replaced when you order one with the external mic) but how do you know its the BMW that picks up the voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masanada73 View Post
Cheers!!!
Please update the spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...OSU/edit#gid=0
[QUOTE=DRuw;23232851]
Quote:

I don't have an external mic attached so I assumed it was the BMW mic. Once I get my car back together I can look deeper. Waiting for the USB cables from Louie as one of my original had a broken wire.
Appreciate 0