F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Need more bass
ARMA SPEED

06-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Need more bass

So looked at this before but could not make head or tail of it.

My car is a 2014 F30 with HK and NBT. I'm sure things have moved on any recommendations on quick plug and play upgrade to the OEM subs under the seats to improve the base a little bit.

Modding bug is back as I'm bored post surgery recovery and trying to avoid modding the outside so sound system it is.

Last edited by magic77; 06-27-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

There probably isn't a quick and easy one. Replacing the woofers with units that in theory can go louder, because the cones are able to move further, does you no good if the amplifier lacks the power required to make use of that additional excursion capability. You'll see claims for magic woofers that in and of themselves will give huge improvements, but those claims are never backed up by real world measured data, because there isn't any.

As for going lower, even a change of amp and woofers is no guarantee, as the main factor limiting the low frequency response of the woofers is the size of the enclosures they're in. IMPO if you want to significantly improve on the bass a separate sub in the trunk is the best bet.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Agree with Billfitz, odds are changing drivers and/or just adding an amp might not be enough. Added a powered sub by Bazooka and that solved it. You'll want the Audio Control unit plus custom harness from https://technicpnp.com .

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
So looked at this before but could not make head or tail of it.

My car is a 2014 F30 with HK and NBT. I'm sure things have moved on any recommendations on quick plug and play upgrade to the OEM subs under the seats to improve the base a little bit.

Modding bug is back as I'm bored post surgery recovery and trying to avoid modding the outside so sound system it is.
Either earthquake sws-8 or bavsound if you just want to replace the speakers and not spend to much.

Look at Integral audio if you want a real upgrade of amp and speakers! Great kit but not cheap! I was looking at the Integral Audio gear for my UK base stereo system upgrade but they only currently do it for hifi cars not HK and base cars (they said it was in development months and months ago)

If you want to stick with U.K. installers / suppliers look at audiofile-incar.co.uk they are based in Bishops Stortford. Top quality installers and upgrades.

HTH Andrew
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Thanks all while a full upgrade to HK would be great aka what I had in my e46 I find the HK pretty good compromise and just woudl be nice to have slightly improved bass.

If sws8 / bavsound is still the way to go I think will run down that route.

any pros /cons as to sws or bavsound. Though getting hold of bavsound might be hard in uk. cant find any resellers

Last edited by magic77; 06-27-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0