F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should I buy wheel & tire insurance?
GetBMWParts

04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Very
Rep
Drives: just ordered 2012 328i

Should I buy wheel & tire insurance?

The dealer is offering me wheel and tire insurance for $1,299.00 for five years. For the wheels it covers warping, cracking, etc if I hit a pothole, curb, etc. It does not cover scuffs. For the tires, it provides a new tire if I get a puncture on the run-flats as long as they are not "bald" already.

I am ordering a 328i luxury line with the standard 18 inch wheels with all season tires.

Is this a good investment? Tires are about $240 each and a wheel is around $1,000 each.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 XDrive 40i MSport

Generally dealers make out thieves on these 'deal closing' offers and are normally something you will never fully use. You normally can find better, cheaper tires (stock are usually softer compound that wear quicker, meaning you will have to replace in 1-2 years anyway). If it's worth the piece of mind to you, then go for it, but IMHO I don't think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

i always get it and make sure it pays for it self and some
      04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Very
Rep

justinnum1, what do you mean by that?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I said no thanks. Given how much of a ripoff their clearbra was, I'm sure this is also.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Very
Rep

Let me re-state my question...

This is my first BMW. This is my first car with "low profile" tires (though, not as "thin" as the sport line, for example. My past cars were like Honda Accord and Mazda Protege. I just don't know if tires and wheels with a car like this is likely to have a problem if I hit a pothole or not. I do tend to get nails and screws in tires every once in a while, but in the past they could be patched...now they will not be able to be patched...replaced is the only option. AAARRRGH! In some respects, it seems sensible, but in others, it seems unlikely. I need to know what "real world" drivers in BMW's are experiencing...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The only point I was trying to make is that on average, you overpay for these types of deals. If you look at most car-buying advice articles, they say not to do these deals. Odds are against you having a problem in the short term, and if it's for 5 years, the tires will not last that long, it doesn't cover normal wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Very
Rep

Thanks for the advice!

Food for thought: over the course of five years, each set of tires I buy will be covered under the "new tire" warranty. So, for example, if at the end of year two, I buy 4 new tires, and a month later 1 of them gets a flat, it will be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very View Post
Thanks for the advice!

Food for thought: over the course of five years, each set of tires I buy will be covered under the "new tire" warranty. So, for example, if at the end of year two, I buy 4 new tires, and a month later 1 of them gets a flat, it will be replaced.
Not bad there then...just not sure if these tires will have shorter life span and costlier than other brands is all. Again, if it gives you piece of mind, by all means go for it. I'm far from an expert, just my experience from new cars I've had. Just my humble opinion. I'm also curious as to what some other owners have to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
T_Bone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Agreed. Odds are that this insurance will cost you more in the end--that's how both the dealer *and* the insurance provider profit from this. FWIW, I've been driving BMWs for nearly 20 years and have never bent a rim!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Geography might also be a decision factor here as well. Given that you're in Austin, TX....you might not necessarily need this. If you were further north where massive potholes are an annual road hazard and sometimes unavoidable, you might be more inclined to consider this. Not saying that TX doesn't have potholes, but they don't seem to pop up as quickly and ominously in snow-bound areas.
      04-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

The price is steep. Do you plan on keeping the stock rims/run flats for 5 years? If You can negotiate with your dealer the price to say 700. Then maybe it would be a better deal.
      04-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Around here BMW wheels are known to damage very easily due to all the potholes. Pretty much everyone I know with a BMW has replaced one, or more.

Still for $1700 thats like 4 new high quality wheels. The tires, I doubt you will need that unless you work or live near a construction zone.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
The dealer is offering me wheel and tire insurance for $1,299.00 for five years. For the wheels it covers warping, cracking, etc if I hit a pothole, curb, etc. It does not cover scuffs. For the tires, it provides a new tire if I get a puncture on the run-flats as long as they are not "bald" already.

I am ordering a 328i luxury line with the standard 18 inch wheels with all season tires.

Is this a good investment? Tires are about $240 each and a wheel is around $1,000 each.

The luxury line has 45 profile tires, couple that with the fact you live in Texes, you should be fine without tire and wheel insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Lightbulb Counter View

I'm going to give a counter view on this, seeing as it was a forum like this that actually helped me to make a more informed decision for me.

Prior to my 2006, 330i e90, I had no experience driving or handling run-flat tires, nor did I know that they were more expensive (I gathered they were) and that they cannot be repaired. So, I researched and got information from various forums and websites which encouraged getting the insurance. Initially, I was against it myself but after getting 3 tires replaced in less than three years, I'm so happy I did. No cost, no frustration and totally worth it.

I see you got a 328i Luxury Line, and the lowest price on a run-flat I found was $200 for a Pirelli P7 and that depends on if you got that particular one. If not, it'll be somewhat more expensive. Typically the tires will not be that price, they will be marked up at the dealership, plus you've got to account for labor and the mounting of the wheel. Total will come out to roughly $300.

In any case, this is my opinion and hopefully good advise to you. I'm happy I went with it, essentially it's the "price to play" for getting run-flats. You never know when you might get a flat, and if you happen to be as flat prone as I seem to be over the course of 5 years you'll probably need at least 5 replacements.

P.S. if you really want to make it worth your while, nobody tells you can't put a nail in your own tire for a replacement, it's not ethical but if that's what it takes for you to see a "value" you've got to do, what you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
ZPinhead
Mouseketeer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3/Tananite

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i  [0.00]
The pitch that I got was that if you got a flat that you would not only have to replace the tire but the entire wheel, making having one flat more or less pay for the cost of the insurance. They also said that if you have one flat and drive for any distance (more than 5 miles say) that it was likely you would have to replace the wheel/tire on the opposite side as well.

This is my first BMW and first experience with RFT. Are RFTs really that sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPinhead View Post
The pitch that I got was that if you got a flat that you would not only have to replace the tire but the entire wheel, making having one flat more or less pay for the cost of the insurance.

This is my first BMW and first experience with RFT. Are RFTs really that sensitive?
Well, whoever told you that is (excuse my language) absolute crap . If you get a flat, it's made to run on that tire for at least another 50 miles and should keep your wheel protected. Theoretically (someone correct me if I'm wrong) run-flats are less prone to blow outs so, another protection for your wheel.

Regarding your question, if they're really that sensitive, I don't think so, however, if you get a nail, metal, or some other debris that punctures the tire you'll be SOL and need a flat out replacement (which is what happened to me 3 consecutive times). Our European friends might want to look that one up but it I'm trying to keep the language clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPinhead View Post
The pitch that I got was that if you got a flat that you would not only have to replace the tire but the entire wheel, making having one flat more or less pay for the cost of the insurance. They also said that if you have one flat and drive for any distance (more than 5 miles say) that it was likely you would have to replace the wheel/tire on the opposite side as well.

No he was lying. Tell them you are declining the insurance because you were lied to by the salesman and report them to the BMWCCA if you are a member.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
Well, whoever told you that is (excuse my language) absolute crap . If you get a flat, it's made to run on that tire for at least another 50 miles and should keep your wheel protected. Theoretically (someone correct me if I'm wrong) run-flats are less prone to blow outs so, another protection for your wheel.

Regarding your question, if they're really that sensitive, I don't think so, however, if you get a nail, metal, or some other debris that punctures the tire you'll be SOL and need a flat out replacement (which is what happened to me 3 consecutive times). Our European friends might want to look that one up but it I'm trying to keep the language clean.
You can repair run flat tires safely contrary to what BMW says. My understanding is that the issue is how long the tire is driven with zero or very low air pressure and where the puncture is. If the tire gets a leak and runs a little low on air, there should be no damage to the tire and it can be patched. Even with zero air pressure, if the tire is driven on gingerly for a short distance it may be ok. The longer you drive and the lower the air pressure is what trashes the tire by possibly causing internal damage to the sidewall.
      04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
tcraft
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 X40i

Throwing my two cents in here. My new F30 is my first BMW as well as my first vehicle with run-flats. The finance manager offered me the wheel and tire protection program for $1,000. Although I knew that it was definitely slanted in their favor (or else, why would they sell it), I decided to go ahead and purchase it for peace of mind for at least my first BMW.

My reasoning was, in every car I've ever owned, I've had bad experience with nails. And yes, while I know it's technically feasible to repair run-flats that have had nail punctures, I didn't want to play those odds.

Guess what?!?! Within a week I already had a nail in my right rear tire. Dealer replaced the tire no questions asked. Only thing they might not have pointed out is that every service visit covered under the warranty costs a $50 deductable. Total price, out the door was about $425.

So as of now, less than a month into having my 328i, I've already received the value of $375. I'm already ahead on my $1,000 investment.

But this is my example. Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft View Post
Throwing my two cents in here. My new F30 is my first BMW as well as my first vehicle with run-flats. The finance manager offered me the wheel and tire protection program for $1,000. Although I knew that it was definitely slanted in their favor (or else, why would they sell it), I decided to go ahead and purchase it for peace of mind for at least my first BMW.

My reasoning was, in every car I've ever owned, I've had bad experience with nails. And yes, while I know it's technically feasible to repair run-flats that have had nail punctures, I didn't want to play those odds.

Guess what?!?! Within a week I already had a nail in my right rear tire. Dealer replaced the tire no questions asked. Only thing they might not have pointed out is that every service visit covered under the warranty costs a $50 deductable. Total price, out the door was about $425.

So as of now, less than a month into having my 328i, I've already received the value of $375. I'm already ahead on my $1,000 investment.

But this is my example. Your mileage may vary.
Or....your local tire shop could have patched the small hole for $40.00 and you are a $-10.00 on your investment. Like most posters have said, it's a crap shoot!
      04-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
justinnum1, what do you mean by that?
I mean for some crazy reason, i get quite a few flats. Must be the damn construction in south florida