F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?
ARMA SPEED

03-18-2024, 08:44 PM   #7261
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Do Only Suckers Buy EVs?
March 14, 2024
The latest evidence that electric vehicles are nothing more than environmental snake oil can be found in a recent Wall Street Journal article pointing out that these “clean” cars are actually more polluting than their gasoline-powered brethren.
The Journal was highlighting a study from 2022 that, naturally, was ignored by the mainstream press at the time. What the study found was that “brakes and tires on EVs release 1,850 times more particle pollution compared to modern tailpipes.”
So, here we have President Bozo’s EPA clamping down on allowable levels of soot while the same EPA is trying to force drivers into soot-producing EVs.

“The EPA’s own emissions model falsely ‘applies the same tire wear emission rate for all vehicle fuel types (gasoline, diesel, flex-fuel, CNG or electric),’ completely ignoring the differences in weight,” they note.
They are “clean” cars. False. They just shift their emissions to power plants, which depending on their fuel sources produce plenty of CO2. Plus, battery production is carbon intensive, and so when you look at total CO2 emissions over the lifetime of an EV – from production to junkyard – they can produce more CO2 than a gas-powered car.

Imagine if the auto industry made similar claims about conventional cars, reassuring buyers they can go 400 miles on a 10-gallon tank of gas, but then told drivers not to let their tanks go below two gallons and fill them up only to eight. That 400-mile range suddenly becomes 240 miles. A car company that tried to pull a fast one like this would face a consumer revolt, media backlash, class-action suits, and government fines for false advertising.
The best thing car buyers can do is refuse to play the sucker.
https://issuesinsights.com/2024/03/1...ckers-buy-evs/
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
      03-18-2024, 08:49 PM   #7262
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
'Forced Energy Transition': Critics Slam Bozo's Impending Gas Car Crackdown
March 18, 2024
The initiative, first proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency in April 2023, is expected to be finalized as early as Wednesday, requiring automakers in the United States to rapidly electrify their inventory starting in 2027. Under the regulations, nearly 70 percent of new sedans, crossovers, SUVs, and light trucks would be electric by 2032, while up to half of buses and garbage trucks could become electric by then
Critics of the regulations describe the initiative as a de facto mandate to bring about electric vehicles and accuse Bozo of prioritizing his own political agenda over the welfare of ordinary Americans. "This is purely being done for campaign reasons—to really appease the leftist large donor base that are the climate alarmists that are driving this movement towards really what is a forced energy transition, which is just increasing the cost of everything," American Energy Institute president Jason Isaac told Fox News.
"Mandating EVs has never been a responsible or affordable solution. ... Americans should always have the option to buy whatever car suits them the best and the House has taken a massive step toward ensuring that opportunity still exists."
https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/f...car-crackdown/
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #7263
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Do Only Suckers Buy EVs?
March 14, 2024
The latest evidence that electric vehicles are nothing more than environmental snake oil can be found in a recent Wall Street Journal article pointing out that these “clean” cars are actually more polluting than their gasoline-powered brethren.
The Journal was highlighting a study from 2022 that, naturally, was ignored by the mainstream press at the time. What the study found was that “brakes and tires on EVs release 1,850 times more particle pollution compared to modern tailpipes.”
So, here we have President Bozo’s EPA clamping down on allowable levels of soot while the same EPA is trying to force drivers into soot-producing EVs.

“The EPA’s own emissions model falsely ‘applies the same tire wear emission rate for all vehicle fuel types (gasoline, diesel, flex-fuel, CNG or electric),’ completely ignoring the differences in weight,” they note.
They are “clean” cars. False. They just shift their emissions to power plants, which depending on their fuel sources produce plenty of CO2. Plus, battery production is carbon intensive, and so when you look at total CO2 emissions over the lifetime of an EV – from production to junkyard – they can produce more CO2 than a gas-powered car.

Imagine if the auto industry made similar claims about conventional cars, reassuring buyers they can go 400 miles on a 10-gallon tank of gas, but then told drivers not to let their tanks go below two gallons and fill them up only to eight. That 400-mile range suddenly becomes 240 miles. A car company that tried to pull a fast one like this would face a consumer revolt, media backlash, class-action suits, and government fines for false advertising.
There is no free lunch, there never was, only in the minds of the Green Insane. So, the same fuel economy as a Chevy Malibu when you figure power plant efficiency and transmission loss, they emit more soot than a diesel truck, LOL. At least the "Insanity" in Green Insanity makes sense.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-18-2024, 08:54 PM   #7264
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
'Forced Energy Transition': Critics Slam Bozo's Impending Gas Car Crackdown
March 18, 2024
The initiative, first proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency in April 2023, is expected to be finalized as early as Wednesday, requiring automakers in the United States to rapidly electrify their inventory starting in 2027. Under the regulations, nearly 70 percent of new sedans, crossovers, SUVs, and light trucks would be electric by 2032, while up to half of buses and garbage trucks could become electric by then
Critics of the regulations describe the initiative as a de facto mandate to bring about electric vehicles and accuse Bozo of prioritizing his own political agenda over the welfare of ordinary Americans. "This is purely being done for campaign reasons—to really appease the leftist large donor base that are the climate alarmists that are driving this movement towards really what is a forced energy transition, which is just increasing the cost of everything," American Energy Institute president Jason Isaac told Fox News.
"Mandating EVs has never been a responsible or affordable solution. ... Americans should always have the option to buy whatever car suits them the best and the House has taken a massive step toward ensuring that opportunity still exists."
https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/f...car-crackdown/
Anyone else timing the purchase of their last ICE sports car or pickup? I'm thinking 2027 for my last pickup, maybe 2028, depending on what Ford says. I love my ecoboost 3.5.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-18-2024, 09:19 PM   #7265
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Anyone else timing the purchase of their last ICE sports car or pickup? I'm thinking 2027 for my last pickup, maybe 2028, depending on what Ford says. I love my ecoboost 3.5.
I'm going to order another S Plaid when my present lease is up. I'm hoping to get the end of one with the beginning of the other pretty damn close.
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      03-19-2024, 05:26 AM   #7266
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I'm going to order another S Plaid when my present lease is up. I'm hoping to get the end of one with the beginning of the other pretty damn close.
Heck yeah, if you can afford that fuel vapor carbon bomb, Merica!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:21 AM   #7267
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bentley was one of the first established automakers to commit to a fully electric future, telling the world in 2020 that it intended to built its last combustion engine in 2030. From that point onwards, the plan was for all Bentley models to be full EVs.

As suggested by the tense of that last sentence, that now seems to be changing. Bentley’s CEO, Adrian Hallmark, told journalists that the 2030 deadline should no longer be regarded as hard and fast. “We may drag it out a bit longer,” he said, on an embargo'd conference call on Friday discussing the company’s financial results, “but not to 2035 or 2040, just for a couple more years.”
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1479.00
crAbb1224.50
M5Rick60060.50
      03-19-2024, 06:28 AM   #7268
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
I already did that. Bought my last vehicle in 2022. EcoBoost with a manual transmission. Yes, I am a Boomer.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 4
      03-19-2024, 06:51 AM   #7269
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Do Only Suckers Buy EVs?
March 14, 2024

Not flaming, but I have a hard time believing EV emit more tire pollution than their ICEV counterparts. And brakes? Hummmm, most EV use regeneration braking vs. actual friction brakes. Someone needs to explain the chemistry and physics of these claims. I'm all in on the claims of environmental impact of the conflict minerals used for the manufacturing of the EV batteries. Not believing the claim that emissions from tires and brakes are worse for EV than ICEV.

And I 100% agree with your gas tank analysis. Good way to capture the issue. I'll add that if ICEV also had 20% - 35% range loss in the winter on that same 10-gal. gas tank, consumers would give the big FU to manufactures. On numerous occasions during the year, 170 miles of range in the winter (common for most current mainstream EV), or 240 miles in the summer, with a commensurate 30-minute recharge just would not suffice. Worse, if ICEV risked longevity (damage) to the fuel system or engine if you routinely filled the fuel tank at a high-speed gasoline pump, again consumers would raise their middle finger in protest.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1479.00
ggunn9160.00
      03-19-2024, 07:18 AM   #7270
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not flaming, but I have a hard time believing EV emit more tire pollution than their ICEV counterparts. And brakes? Hummmm, most EV use regeneration braking vs. actual friction brakes. Someone needs to explain the chemistry and physics of these claims. I'm all in on the claims of environmental impact of the conflict minerals used for the manufacturing of the EV batteries. Not believing the claim that emissions from tires and brakes are worse for EV than ICEV.

And I 100% agree with your gas tank analysis. Good way to capture the issue. I'll add that if ICEV also had 20% - 35% range loss in the winter on that same 10-gal. gas tank, consumers would give the big FU to manufactures. On numerous occasions during the year, 170 miles of range in the winter (common for most current mainstream EV), or 240 miles in the summer, with a commensurate 30-minute recharge just would not suffice. Worse, if ICEV risked longevity (damage) to the fuel system or engine if you routinely filled the fuel tank at a high-speed gasoline pump, again consumers would raise their middle finger in protest.
That extra weight matters, which is why EV's eat tires.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 08:09 AM   #7271
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not flaming, but I have a hard time believing EV emit more tire pollution than their ICEV counterparts. And brakes?
I thought the same but there have been several studies on this with similar results? There are also several rebuttals on the Guardian report?
This I'm sure of, if the totality of pollution is measured from design to recycling (total Life) I'm convinced the EV loses every time. Just the mining and transportation on the battery components put EV's over the edge.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 08:16 AM   #7272
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Massive Chinese firm sues small Michigan town over opposition to controversial EV battery project
March 19, 2024
The subsidiary of a billion-dollar Chinese energy firm is suing a tiny Michigan town over local officials' opposition to the company's massive electric vehicle (EV) battery project.
According to the lawsuit, Kruse and other elected Green Charter leaders have pursued unlawful actions against the company and are "motivated by clear anti-Gotion animus." Gotion asked the court to reinstate permits canceled by the township, thereby allowing its battery project to move forward, and further filed a motion for preliminary injunction, requesting that the court intervene quickly.
projects' opponents have noted Gotion High-Tech's corporate bylaws require the company to "carry out Party activities in accordance with the Constitution of the Communist Party of China."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mas...attery-project

They should sue Gov. Gretchen Whitmer because she started this whole mess.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 08:25 AM   #7273
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Canada had North America's worst air quality in 2023 because of wildfires, report says
Only seven counties met the World Health Organization standards for air quality last year, and during a record wildfire year, Canada had the worst air quality in North America, according to global air quality tracker IQAir.
IQAir used annual PM 2.5 particulate matter guidelines adopted by the World Health Organization as the standard for its results. PM 2.5 pollutants are fine particulate aerosol particles linked to engine exhaust, industrial processes, power generation, coal and wood burning. Natural sources of PM2.5 can include dust, wildfires and sandstorms.

In a unrelated bit of news:
National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for PM | US EPA
EPA is setting the level of the primary (health-based) annual PM2.5 standard at 9.0 micrograms per cubic meter to provide increased public health protection, consistent with the available health science.
https://www.epa.gov/pm-pollution/nat...dards-naaqs-pm

In addition:
Senators Introduce CRA Resolution to Nullify EPA’s Particulate Matter Standard
This rule, which becomes effective on May 6, 2024, would place approximately 40 percent of the United States’ population in counties which would be in nonattainment status. Additionally, this rule will require states to submit a proposal to the agency outlining their plan to bring nonattainment counties into compliance within 18 months of the rule taking effect. The Bozo administration continues to pursue policies that will inflict serious economic harm with scientifically insignificant environmental benefits. This rulemaking will effectively end manufacturing growth in nonattainment counties and could result in existing businesses foregoing expansion, downsizing, or relocating.
https://www.cramer.senate.gov/news/p...atter-standard
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #7274
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Plug in vehicles?

It may cost you your job...

https://www.westernjournal.com/hertz...cj4WmgQ6GlGoOI
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:57 AM   #7275
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Do Only Suckers Buy EVs?
March 14, 2024

I read that somewhere too, tyres and brakes on EV's are deadly. Another fact that being swept under the carpet of the greenie lunatics.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 06:12 PM   #7276
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
The EPA Is About to Outlaw Your Car
March 19, 2024
The rule would require carmakers to cut their average emissions of carbon dioxide by 52% between 2027 and 2032. EPA projects that the standard would push the car industry to ensure that electric cars and light trucks make up about 67% of new vehicles by model year 2032.
Originally set to be announced in April of 2023, but again according to Inside EVs, it "received a strong rebuttal from dealer groups, car manufacturers, and petroleum companies."
Under the new rules that the EPA is set to announce, that will all change — not by making EVs any cheaper but by imposing such strict emissions requirements on gas and diesel engines that most buyers won't be able to afford a traditional car or light truck in the years after 2027.
I could be wrong, but what the timing indicates to me is that the White House wants this rule to rally Bozo's EV-loving base (not to mention the grifters and parasites profiting off the mandates), while giving the broader public time to forget before November rolls around.
https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2024...r-car-n4927441
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 06:14 PM   #7277
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
EPA Administrator Micheal Regan announces new rules to spur sales of electric vehicles

Odd how Comments are turned off.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 06:28 PM   #7278
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Tesla battery catches fire in Illinois, shutting down highway for nearly 3 hours:
19 Mar 2024
The Alton Telegraph reports that a Tesla electric vehicle caught fire while traveling northbound on Route 255 in Bethalto, Illinois on Sunday, prompting a major response from multiple fire departments and the Madison County Hazmat Team. The incident, which began around noon, proved to be a challenging task for firefighters as the car’s lithium-ion battery had entered what is known as “thermal runaway,” a term used to describe the self-perpetuating heat generated by burning batteries.

Fire officials on the scene explained that electric vehicle fires can burn up to 1,000 degrees hotter than a typical internal combustion engine fire, posing serious risks to the surrounding area. Additionally, the chemical reactions involved in an electric vehicle battery fire can cause the fire to reignite minutes or hours after being initially extinguished, and the fumes can be toxic.

After nearly three hours of effort, the northbound lanes of Illinois Route 255 were reopened after the burnt Tesla was towed to a nearby lot. Firefighters followed the tow truck to the lot to ensure the fire did not reignite.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
eugenebmw1479.00
      03-19-2024, 07:04 PM   #7279
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The EPA Is About to Outlaw Your Car
March 19, 2024
The rule would require carmakers to cut their average emissions of carbon dioxide by 52% between 2027 and 2032. EPA projects that the standard would push the car industry to ensure that electric cars and light trucks make up about 67% of new vehicles by model year 2032.
Originally set to be announced in April of 2023, but again according to Inside EVs, it "received a strong rebuttal from dealer groups, car manufacturers, and petroleum companies."
Under the new rules that the EPA is set to announce, that will all change — not by making EVs any cheaper but by imposing such strict emissions requirements on gas and diesel engines that most buyers won't be able to afford a traditional car or light truck in the years after 2027.
I could be wrong, but what the timing indicates to me is that the White House wants this rule to rally Bozo's EV-loving base (not to mention the grifters and parasites profiting off the mandates), while giving the broader public time to forget before November rolls around.
https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2024...r-car-n4927441
Might have to move on a 2027 F-150.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:18 PM   #7280
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

I know this isn't an EV but I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop. An ice car hit a tree today and caught on fire. For our avid arborists, the tree is mostly okay.

https://local21news.com/news/local/c...n-lancaster-co
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 09:20 PM   #7281
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Just wanted to update everyone on the stolen car in Houston that caught fire. While it isn't an EV it looks to be a total loss unfortunately. This happened yesterday.

https://www.fox26houston.com/video/1428089
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 09:23 PM   #7282
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Another ICE fire to report. This happened yesterday. It also damaged a port-a-potty unfortunately. Some of it melted. Probably was highly mephitic.

https://www.wgal.com/article/vehicle...vania/60209609
Appreciate 1