F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Does anyone enjoy/dislike Active Driving Assistant?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

Does anyone enjoy/dislike Active Driving Assistant?

I have heard some cars are being banned from trackdays because of features like this. Has anyone had a positive experience or later after use decided they wish car didn't have it?

Just curious

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Sonic RR
United_States
Rep

And I do mean in general. Not just performance driving. We have probably all had lapses of concentration on the street.

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
Sonic RR
United_States
Rep

No one? I have found the only spot on the interwebs where no one has an opinion?

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I didn't want it because i'm concerned with it interfering with my radar detector. it also makes me concerned about how a car behind me would respond if my car made an unexpected action on it's own. but i do understand the benefits for general safety.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

I enjoy not having it.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
For reference, this is from BMW USA's configurator for the 3-series:
Quote:
Active Driving Assistant is comprised of Important safety features. Frontal Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Collision Mitigation provides limited-force automated braking within low speed situations. Lane Departure Warning employs a camera system which monitors road lane markings. Anytime the vehicle begins to move across a lane marking without the turn signals activated, this system vibrates the steering wheel. Correct operation is predicated on clear lane markings that are not obscured by rain, snow or other masking factors.
I do find it useful on my 340i and will be looking for it on my next car/BMW. This is the first car I have owned with this kind of technology.

Lane departure warning - the vibration in the steering wheel is noticeable. You can wander in your lane a bit, but if you are definitely going out of that lane it vibrates. Very few false positives in my experience, I think it's pretty well done.

Haven't had the car need to brake for me yet. Hope it never has to. Having the feature there if needed is peace of mind, at the minimum.
I'm not sure if it's related or a part of this feature, but if you approach a car on the highway from behind too quickly, there's a warning that appears in the HUD telling you how fast the car in front of you is going. There's sometimes an audible tone as well. This is noticeable, I've engaged it a few times by changing lanes a little too closely behind another car.

The Driver Assistance Plus package that includes Active Driving Assistant also includes the active blind spot detection. It's pretty smart. If a car is approaching rapidly on either side, the triangle on the sideview mirror on that side will light up earlier, etc. And it doesn't light up for things that are obvious, such as when you pass someone. If the triangle is lit and you put on your turn signal, the steering wheel vibrates immediately. So if you aren't paying attention, this feature can without doubt help. My only complaint is that the triangles aren't as bright as I thought they would be during the daytime. I do however like how BMW puts the triangle right on the inner edge of the mirror, as opposed to IN the mirror as a lot of car makers do. It's closer to the edges of your vision.

And then the speed limit info feature, also included with Driver Assistant Plus package, is mildly useful. If you are driving in a place and don't know the speed limit, it can help. I can't say I would miss this feature though.

Charles
Swappy531.50
      05-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastBMW View Post
I enjoy not having it.
      05-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Sonic RR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post

I do find it useful on my 340i and will be looking for it on my next car/BMW. This is the first car I have owned with this kind of technology.

Lane departure warning - the vibration in the steering wheel is noticeable. You can wander in your lane a bit, but if you are definitely going out of that lane it vibrates. Very few false positives in my experience, I think it's pretty well done.

Haven't had the car need to brake for me yet. Hope it never has to. Having the feature there if needed is peace of mind, at the minimum.
I'm not sure if it's related or a part of this feature, but if you approach a car on the highway from behind too quickly, there's a warning that appears in the HUD telling you how fast the car in front of you is going. There's sometimes an audible tone as well. This is noticeable, I've engaged it a few times by changing lanes a little too closely behind another car.

The Driver Assistance Plus package that includes Active Driving Assistant also includes the active blind spot detection. It's pretty smart. If a car is approaching rapidly on either side, the triangle on the sideview mirror on that side will light up earlier, etc. And it doesn't light up for things that are obvious, such as when you pass someone. If the triangle is lit and you put on your turn signal, the steering wheel vibrates immediately. So if you aren't paying attention, this feature can without doubt help. My only complaint is that the triangles aren't as bright as I thought they would be during the daytime. I do however like how BMW puts the triangle right on the inner edge of the mirror, as opposed to IN the mirror as a lot of car makers do. It's closer to the edges of your vision.

And then the speed limit info feature, also included with Driver Assistant Plus package, is mildly useful. If you are driving in a place and don't know the speed limit, it can help. I can't say I would miss this feature though.

Charles
Thank you Charles

My concern was that the front collision system would be overly hyper and get annoying. I appreciate your input.

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Having recently driven quite a bit with my 340i in larger cities that I am unfamiliar with, I do like having it.
I have had several instances where the frontal collision system gave me a warning when I was in a curve to the left, and there was a car parked on the right side of the curve (this being in an urban area). That is the only mis-cue I can recall.

Overall, I like having it over not having it.
      05-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post

Charles

Looks like we will need to learn to use our signals, if we want to take advantage of these features
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

If your car is a cruiser than I can see having options like this but for a performance sedan/coupe not needed. I would never get any of the assist nannies..lol
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

2017 440ix with all the bells and whistles (except auto park!).
Collision Avoidance has saved me once. SO, it has already paid for itself. Very rarely does it show up on the HUD as a RED Car with the associated audio tone. When it does, it's because I did a maneuver (heavy acceleration) to get around someone and I am already braking!

It hasn't learned my NYC Driving style.. lol (I Kid).

All these 'options' are just safety tools that you can turn on or off, as desired. I (almost) never have Lane Departure on. Only when I use my Active Cruise Control, do I turn it on. Cause I'm in lazy driving mode.

Enjoy your car... but don't be afraid of getting the technology and not using it vs. not getting it and then wishing you had~

Always
Motch
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz28/40 View Post
If your car is a cruiser than I can see having options like this but for a performance sedan/coupe not needed. I would never get any of the assist nannies..lol
Some of us use our cars for both a daily cruiser and a performance car~

Motch
Appreciate 1
CJ4211559.00
      05-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
Sonic RR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motch View Post
2017 440ix with all the bells and whistles (except auto park!).
Collision Avoidance has saved me once. SO, it has already paid for itself. Very rarely does it show up on the HUD as a RED Car with the associated audio tone. When it does, it's because I did a maneuver (heavy acceleration) to get around someone and I am already braking!

It hasn't learned my NYC Driving style.. lol (I Kid).

All these 'options' are just safety tools that you can turn on or off, as desired. I (almost) never have Lane Departure on. Only when I use my Active Cruise Control, do I turn it on. Cause I'm in lazy driving mode.

Enjoy your car... but don't be afraid of getting the technology and not using it vs. not getting it and then wishing you had~

Always
Motch
I have found land departure on every brand I've driven to be a nuisance. Maybe I sway more than the average driver but everything else I have found value in.

Thanks for your reply Motch

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

I assumed this kind of active driver's assistance was for really old people.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
I assumed this kind of active driver's assistance was for really old people.
You were thinking of Sedans I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #17
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
I have in my 340i X. I especially like the blind spot detection. It seems to work perfectly and I've come to rely on it before changing lanes. Collision Avoidance has been unobtrusive. In over a year, it has engaged the warning buzzer twice, both times when some fool cut me off by swerving into my lane just ahead. I'm glad it hasn't had to engage in a real emergency. The lane departure warning can be a bit annoying if I stray into the lane line, but it just vibrates the steering wheel, and is not noticeable to passengers. Each of the three systems can be shut off independently. I leave them on.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:45 AM   #18
Levanius
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: F30 20d M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastBMW View Post
I enjoy not having it.
:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I find the lane departure a bit "silly". If you're driving with your brain, there is no reason to be drifting out of the lane. Now if your texting, just spilled your beer, passed out, ok, then it might be of use (but you shouldn't be driving!)

Blind spot detection is pretty slick though. It indicates based on the rate of change cars are approaching you. Normally, not a big deal, but sometimes you get some arse on a crotch rocket that it detects (after you've checked the mirrors).

I've only had the collision avoidance kick in when coming to a stop, and someone lane changes in front of me. It apparently detects pedestrians as well, but I have never been in a situation where it would indicate that.

I don't see how any of these three features would get you banned from track day though. It's not like it makes you a better/faster driver on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
SJCMcC
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Cabrio

Garage List
I love driving. The thought of autonomous driving sends shivers down my spine. If I want to do this I can get on a bus, train or fly by plane. Can you imagine the corporate pressure if you as a driver are involved in a accident with an autonomous vehicle. Most trains and planes still required the possibility of human intervention AND I’m sometimes driven crazy by the auto correct deviously misinterpreting what I’m trying to type!

I ordered the DA with my new 4 series and I am impressed and it is much better than the naggie shotgun human assistant as I gain confidence that the DA only confirms my decisions. I have had the car circa 3 months and the assistant has not been necessary to avoid an incident. The lane keeping assistant alarms the most along curvy roads but is a confirmation of driving within reasonable limits. My mirrors are adjusted to ensure no “blind spot” but I feel the lane change assistant just confirms what I already seen. With the forward facing collisions warning set to its most sensitive setting the alarm has triggered possibly 5 times in situations with no actual risk or need of additional driver intervention….I may have to talk to the dealer about this. So in this sense I feel no additional security of another eye looking forward.

While choosing the 4 series I also looked at the boxster… when I asked about the stop and go type of cruse control he asked me why was I considering a Porsche and I felt he had a fair point. The collision avoidance of the radar system are however truly advantageous but I missed this at the time I placed my order.

IMO I feel if you do drive then there is a great deal of pleasure to be had BUT this comes with responsibility so hands firmly on the wheel. An inadvertent lack of concentration has to be an exception and if the DA is there to intervene then it has paid for itself.

So again IMO If anyone needs to adjust the air conditioning or song selection on an oversized I pad then that should be done at a charging station or better still on a train, plane or bus
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #21
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I didn't want it because i'm concerned with it interfering with my radar detector. it also makes me concerned about how a car behind me would respond if my car made an unexpected action on it's own. but i do understand the benefits for general safety.
What radar detector do you have?

Blend mount, I presume?

Did you hardwire it?

*this is not a thread jack*
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #22
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I find the lane departure a bit "silly". If you're driving with your brain, there is no reason to be drifting out of the lane. Now if your texting, just spilled your beer, passed out, ok, then it might be of use (but you shouldn't be driving!)
I think that is the point of it, it lets you know when you are NOT driving with your brain.
Appreciate 1