F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GSR Technik 320i ECU Flash Tune Now Available 75whp/100wtq
Studio RSR

04-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

GSR Technik 320i ECU Flash Tune Now Available 75whp/100wtq

Greetings F30 Community!

Some of you may have seen the 2Addicts thread covering the development of our 228i into a Pirelli World Challenge TCA Class racecar. We have a great group of development partners and are excited to start offering new products based on all the development work we have done over the last year or so.

Check out the 228i thread:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117222

We’d like to official announce the launch of a proper ECU flash tune for the 320i achieving approximately 75whp and 100wtq over stock. The dyno graph below is tune only on 91 octane – no other vehicle modifications. This is an ECU flash tune (not piggyback) so it does require access to the ECU. Removal of the ECU is fairly simple – we should have a "how to" video up shortly. For those of you in Southern California – removal, flash and reinstallation of the ECU can be done at our shop in about 1-2 hours.

Retail price:

Stage 1: $999
Stage 2: $1,499

Last edited by GSR Technik; 05-06-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

anything for the n20 (328/428) yet?
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
anything for the n20 (328/428) yet?
Yes, check out:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1119949
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
Bluesmansr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 ZCP

I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this. Seems like a pretty big deal seeing as how this is the first flash tune for the n20. Does this tune also work on the n26? Is the ecu actually opened (ie physicallytampered with)or is the the tune somehow plugged into the ecu?
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

You must have missed the last half year or so...

This is certainly not the first ECU tune for the N20, check out

- BR Performance (and their partners in the US)
- PP Performance
- SKN Tuning
- Manhart Racing
- Jailbreak Tuning
- mcchip-dkr
etc.

And until now the ECU has to be opened or drilled into.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #6
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmansr View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this. Seems like a pretty big deal seeing as how this is the first flash tune for the n20. Does this tune also work on the n26? Is the ecu actually opened (ie physicallytampered with)or is the the tune somehow plugged into the ecu?
Yes, to flash the ECU you must open the ECU. We have a process to open and close without damaging or drilling. Yes, it does work on the N26 motors.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Bluesmansr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 ZCP

Hmm, if there was major warranty work done, would bmw be able to tell that the ecu was physically opened before? Even assuming the car was re-flashed back to stock specifications, would there still be an indication that something had been done to the ecu?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmansr View Post
Hmm, if there was major warranty work done, would bmw be able to tell that the ecu was physically opened before? Even assuming the car was re-flashed back to stock specifications, would there still be an indication that something had been done to the ecu?
Our process involves opening the ECU and then resealing it so there is literally no visible indication that it was ever opened. No drilling like some tuners do.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
jamoka3
Assassin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive M-SPORT

So what exactly is the entire process? I have a 2014 328i xdrive with the N26 engine. How would I get this done ? How does the car remain undetectable to the dealer, is there a switch or something that changes the vehicle back to stock mode when going in for a service?
What kind of results are you seeing with the N26 engine, 328i models?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
So what exactly is the entire process? I have a 2014 328i xdrive with the N26 engine. How would I get this done ? How does the car remain undetectable to the dealer, is there a switch or something that changes the vehicle back to stock mode when going in for a service?
What kind of results are you seeing with the N26 engine, 328i models?
Check out this thread for x28i numbers.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=531

So it's not being done through the OBDII port which a lot times has counters on how many times the interface has been used to load something new.

It's done by plugging directly into the ECU using tools that are derived from the tools that are used to develop the systems, such companies as Siemens or Bosch. The code in raw state is a bunch of binary so these tools allow you look at the code and make changes to the binary that is interpreted by the embedded systems (hardware/software). There is a checksum that gets calculated from the binary to check to see if any of the binary code has been changed. These checksums need to be recalculated if you make any changes to the binary code - these types of tools allow you to do that.

So when dealers are plugging into the cars for general diagnostics they aren't designed to look at the binary directly and say this fuel map has been changed from what is expected.

That's at least the basic idea. There are empirical things anyone could do to test like check to see if the car will go faster than the speed limiter or monitoring boost on a dyno to see if boost is exceeding factory specifications but typically dealers are not doing those types of things.

The process...

You take the ECU you out, here's a video how (below) and send it to us.

We flash tune, seal it back up and send it back to you.

You reinstall and you are good to go.

If you truly want to return your car back to stock you need to resend the ECU to us and we will flash it back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
If you tuned the ECU, then why do you have a JB4? Did you move your battery? Mine is on the passenger side rear corner??
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Where is the link to purchase the product/flash on your website? Couldn't find it. Is there any warranty that comes with the flash? And, this may sound weird, but how would I know if the tune was flashed successfully outside of relying on butt-dyno?

I have JB4 on N20 now and AM SUPER interested since I've been debating Dinan switch.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #13
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
Where is the link to purchase the product/flash on your website? Couldn't find it. Is there any warranty that comes with the flash? And, this may sound weird, but how would I know if the tune was flashed successfully outside of relying on butt-dyno?

I have JB4 on N20 now and AM SUPER interested since I've been debating Dinan switch.
We haven't added to our website because at this point we want to discuss things live with each customer before they buy so you can call the shop or better yet, PM me and I will give you my cell to call me directly. We guarantee our product so if you are not satisfied we will flash it back to stock which we copy off the ECU and store before we load our changes.

The best thing to do to verify results is dyno your car before you send us the ECU and then take the car back to that same dyno and dyno it again with same settings after you get the ECU back. Ideally the weather would be similar on those two days so results will be apples to apples as much as possible.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #14
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
If you tuned the ECU, then why do you have a JB4? Did you move your battery? Mine is on the passenger side rear corner??
We had the JB4 installed so we could test the JB4 and then test our tune to compare. Obviously we are more expensive than the JB4 so our benchmark is the JB4. We have to be better than the JB4 as far as performance and we have achieved that goal. We use the JB4 as the benchmark because as far as what piggyback systems are capable of doing - BMS does a pretty darn good job.

No that is the stock location for the battery on our car.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #15
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
Check out this thread for x28i numbers.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=531

So it's not being done through the OBDII port which a lot times has counters on how many times the interface has been used to load something new.

It's done by plugging directly into the ECU using tools that are derived from the tools that are used to develop the systems, such companies as Siemens or Bosch. The code in raw state is a bunch of binary so these tools allow you look at the code and make changes to the binary that is interpreted by the embedded systems (hardware/software). There is a checksum that gets calculated from the binary to check to see if any of the binary code has been changed. These checksums need to be recalculated if you make any changes to the binary code - these types of tools allow you to do that.

So when dealers are plugging into the cars for general diagnostics they aren't designed to look at the binary directly and say this fuel map has been changed from what is expected.

That's at least the basic idea. There are empirical things anyone could do to test like check to see if the car will go faster than the speed limiter or monitoring boost on a dyno to see if boost is exceeding factory specifications but typically dealers are not doing those types of things.

The process...

You take the ECU you out, here's a video how (below) and send it to us.

We flash tune, seal it back up and send it back to you.

You reinstall and you are good to go.

If you truly want to return your car back to stock you need to resend the ECU to us and we will flash it back to stock.
Those are jailbreak tuning, are you guys same company ?!
      05-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #16
goon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i AW

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post

By reading the thread you mention it appears that this ECU flash is undetectable by dealer, which is amazing. Also, the JB4 clears CEL's for aftermarket downpipes. Does the ECU flash provide this feature? I read one comment that it does provide this feature, but I didn't see much else, wanted to address it directly.

This is what I'm looking for! Do you have any reliability concerns for the N20, longterm?

Last edited by goon; 05-05-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
By reading the thread you mention it appears that this ECU flash is undetectable by dealer, which is amazing. Also, the JB4 clears CEL's for aftermarket downpipes. Does the ECU flash provide this feature? I read one comment that it does provide this feature, but I didn't see much else, wanted to address it directly.

This is what I'm looking for! Do you have any reliability concerns for the N20, longterm?
Yes, flash tune can eliminate CELs.

Anyone who says they can predict long-term reliability is full of sh#&. I think our tune is operating within a reasonable performance envelope along with all the factor safeguards that the ECU provides. I feel more confident about our tune compared to what I'm seeing people do with piggyback systems and meth injection. Of course if you drive like knucklehead every moment you are behind the wheel long-term reliability is going to suffer no matter what.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
Those are jailbreak tuning, are you guys same company ?!
We have formalized a partnership and have jointly invested in the tooling to properly flash tune these new generation of ECUs.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #19
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
rustyminded best of both worlds man GSR and Jailbreak are both wonderful very responsive and helpful teams, i have not yet met such tuners caring for us N20/N55 everyone else is concentrated mostly on the M's lol.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
goon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i AW

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [10.00]
One more question, will all of my feature coding (dvd in motion, sport +mode etc) be erased/overwritten?

My ECU has been removed and is enroute to GSR for tuning!

Last edited by goon; 05-06-2015 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #21
mperformanceworks
Rep
Drives: f30 320 sport

Interested. couple of questions

1) For the 320i what is the stage 1 and Stage 2 difference?
2) Also the dyno chart shows 228i and I don't see the 75whp and 100wtq increase. Maybe it is not the right graph?

I do like that this is done with 91 oct about 95RON which is my local pump gas oct.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #22
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperformanceworks View Post
Interested. couple of questions

1) For the 320i what is the stage 1 and Stage 2 difference?
2) Also the dyno chart shows 228i and I don't see the 75whp and 100wtq increase. Maybe it is not the right graph?

I do like that this is done with 91 oct about 95RON which is my local pump gas oct.
Stage 1 is done based on no mods. Stage 2 is based on catless downpipes.

The +75whp and +100wtq is for the 320i since it's basically a detuned 228i/328i so there is way more headroom we can take advantage of.
Appreciate 0