F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > i-drive HK failure again
Studio RSR

10-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #1
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

i-drive HK failure again

Fed up of this. This is the third time in a year I have had an issue with the cars i-drive/sound system.

Firstly the touch screen died. It had never been used. Two trips to dealer. Then they did an engine software update and shut down the nav. Probably my fault as I had carplay installed. Car was with them for five days.

Now it looks like the amp has died. Get a message on the screen saying "No warning tones" no noise from any of the sensors, no audio, no bluetooth. Squat. Two more trips imminent. One for diagnosis, another for fix. Probably.

Hacked off. Return trips to dealer likely to prevent me buying another. The new ones are fugly anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Check the fuses.
I was playing around with our MINI the other day (as the HK is shite and I was playing around pulling fuses to see if something had blown). Pulled one fuse and got exactly this message and no sound 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:21 AM   #3
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Exacty the same thing happened to my F32 and as you say the amp was smoked.

What made me laugh was it happened as I was driving past my local dealership and as there was smoke coming from the dash speaker I pulled straight into the customer services and after explaining that my car was smoking in the parking bay they said they had no one to look at it and I would need to wait.

They replaced the smoked dash speaker and it happened again , next time they replaced the amp and the speaker and it has been fine since.

K
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Fed up of this. This is the third time in a year I have had an issue with the cars i-drive/sound system.

Firstly the touch screen died. It had never been used. Two trips to dealer. Then they did an engine software update and shut down the nav. Probably my fault as I had carplay installed. Car was with them for five days.

Now it looks like the amp has died. Get a message on the screen saying "No warning tones" no noise from any of the sensors, no audio, no bluetooth. Squat. Two more trips imminent. One for diagnosis, another for fix. Probably.

Hacked off. Return trips to dealer likely to prevent me buying another. The new ones are fugly anyway.
There's a known issue with the vert, in relation to water drainage. Specifically, the compartment housing the HK amp gets water in it, which subsequently kills the amp. There is a fix for the water draining issue, as I believe it's subject of a BMW technical bulletin.
It's affected quite a few F83's on the Cutters forum... Not sure about Bimmerpost.
Your dealer should be aware of this issue & take the necessary remedial action, including replacing your HK amp, all free of charge weather still in warranty or not.
      10-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
speary8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i M Sport Convertible

It’s water damage. I had 3 amps replaced before they believed me that water was dripping onto the amp. They replaced all the seals around the rear of the car. Touch wood it’s been fine since.
Like you one of my speakers got so hot the wires in it were melting. Could have caused a fire
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
DougMcL
Major
Rep

Thanks for the replies. At least I can go to the dealers forearmed!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
DougMcL
Major
Rep

The dealer has been absolutely crap.

I've told them umpteen times that there is a TSB on this. They have ignored me and said they have checked for a water leak.

Goodbye BMW

Hello Mercedes E400 AMG coupe

Really irritated.
Appreciate 0