F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance...an interesting response.
Studio RSR

10-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Insurance...an interesting response.

So renewal on the 340i is due with A-Plan, so the merry go round begins as ultimately they try to increase the premiums.

My previous 330d was with them with modifications such as , MP body kit, spacers, alloys/winter tyres, & performance upgrade and with 3months to go on the policy I changed to the 340i for which they charged £28 extra. I thought this was fair considering they were covering the new car on the same basis as the old with all the modifications.

So while I leave them to do some creative maths, as I have not modified the current car as yet (and may still not do it), I looked to BMW insurance and did an on line quote. The quote was comparable with what I was expecting to pay, but wondered if they would cover any modifications, so I called them and was quite surprised at their answer.

I was told that if the modified parts are BMW parts and are fitted by BMW then they would cover the modifications and it would have no impact on the insurance policy or any additional cost. However if any modifications were proposed with aftermarket parts or not fitted by BMW they would not cover them.
I questioned the MPPSK install and MP bodykit, highlighting the (nominal) power increase and the reply was yes that would be acceptable.

So maybe just a heads up for those of you wanting to have such installs and are looking for insurance companies for cover, try BMW. I did have a dealer code to use which I'm happy to pass on but don't know if this helps on the premium or not?
Appreciate 3
Londoner168.00
Rbrown2765.50
      10-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

I almost said no when the sales guy asked me if I wanted a BMW insurance quote on the day I bought the car - had a go compare offering lined up, but he convinced me. Was £400 cheaper, couldn't believe BMW actually have a low cost product.

And if you have both the insurance and BMW emergency assistance (part of the 12 month warranty pack when you buy a "used approved") in the event of an incident just one call is required. Nice for lazy bones peeps like me.

And spot on - they advised the BMW fitted MPPSK wouldn't change the cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've found their quotes competitive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Yep I’m with them for the G30 and they were far cheaper than other companies even with the mods (all done by bmw)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I expect it is to hook you in for the first year and jack it up in the second year (like every other insurance company).

Anyone been insured with BMW for a second year?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
BMW wouldn't even quote me online. When specifying mods there was no option to state that they were official BMW dealer fitted mods so the quote got bounced.
Attached Images

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
BMW were competitive for my 335d. However a toss up between a slightly cheaper premium and fitting better springs+shocks did it for me and I went elsewhere.
      10-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #8
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
BMW wouldn't even quote me online. When specifying mods there was no option to state that they were official BMW dealer fitted mods so the quote got bounced.
If you call them they will go through it with you. This happened on wifey's quote, she called and said they were very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
I'm also with them very competitive and no extra for the MPPSK.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP, SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
So renewal on the 340i is due with A-Plan, so the merry go round begins as ultimately they try to increase the premiums.

My previous 330d was with them with modifications such as , MP body kit, spacers, alloys/winter tyres, & performance upgrade and with 3months to go on the policy I changed to the 340i for which they charged £28 extra. I thought this was fair considering they were covering the new car on the same basis as the old with all the modifications.

So while I leave them to do some creative maths, as I have not modified the current car as yet (and may still not do it), I looked to BMW insurance and did an on line quote. The quote was comparable with what I was expecting to pay, but wondered if they would cover any modifications, so I called them and was quite surprised at their answer.

I was told that if the modified parts are BMW parts and are fitted by BMW then they would cover the modifications and it would have no impact on the insurance policy or any additional cost. However if any modifications were proposed with aftermarket parts or not fitted by BMW they would not cover them.
I questioned the MPPSK install and MP bodykit, highlighting the (nominal) power increase and the reply was yes that would be acceptable.

So maybe just a heads up for those of you wanting to have such installs and are looking for insurance companies for cover, try BMW. I did have a dealer code to use which I'm happy to pass on but don't know if this helps on the premium or not?
I'd second this - I was looking at £900+ for my 440i MPPSK, but BMW did it for £550 with better cover and a lower excess!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #11
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
I tried to get a quote from BMW but they refused point blank due to having the VBraces 3m wrapped. Ended up back with LV on a competitive deal with everything covered and declared.
      10-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
skipraider
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
I tried to get a quote from BMW but they refused point blank due to having the VBraces 3m wrapped. Ended up back with LV on a competitive deal with everything covered and declared.
I'm all for declaring mods to the insurance company, but i'm not sure I would be bothering to tell theinsurance company that i had put a sticker on the V brace.
BIFCAIDS857.00
      10-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipraider View Post
I'm all for declaring mods to the insurance company, but i'm not sure I would be bothering to tell theinsurance company that i had put a sticker on the V brace.

You would think sense would prevail but actually you could be in trouble....

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17...e-modification

"Failing to declare something as humble as paint protection film or different alloy wheels could void a policy entirely, potentially costing thousands in the event of an incident, and even putting motorists at risk of a £300 fine and 6 penalty points.

"And, in the case of potentially controversial messages on stickers, it’s best to keep your opinions to yourself, or be prepared to share them with your insurer."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
skipraider
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 335i

Think of all the old people with national trust stickers on their cars
      10-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #15
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Quote:

"Failing to declare something as humble as paint protection film or different alloy wheels could void a policy entirely, potentially costing thousands in the event of an incident, and even putting motorists at risk of a £300 fine and 6 penalty points.

"And, in the case of potentially controversial messages on stickers, it’s best to keep your opinions to yourself, or be prepared to share them with your insurer."
End of the day I've always declared Every Mod no matter how small mostly it just a note on the policy so in the event of anything happening it's recorded.

Some say I'm mad & some say I'm/it's right, I do what I feel is right for me and my property and don't want argumentative hassle or an insurance busy body being difficult if anything happens.

At the start of every quote on the phone or online it states to declare all known knowledge so that's it in a nut shell right there anything other is just an open trap door for them to go open season because you have withheld information.
      10-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Quote:

"And, in the case of potentially controversial messages on stickers, it's best to keep your opinions to yourself, or be prepared to share them with your insurer."
End of the day I've always declared Every Mod no matter how small mostly it just a note on the policy so in the event of anything happening it's recorded.

Some say I'm mad & some say I'm/it's right, I do what I feel is right for me and my property and don't want argumentative hassle or an insurance busy body being difficult if anything happens.

At the start of every quote on the phone or online it states to declare all known knowledge so that's it in a nut shell right there anything other is just an open trap door for them to go open season because you have withheld information.
Sounds like you're absolutely right to do so mate.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I couldn’t get a quote for my car - they wouldn’t cover it without a tracker. I couldn’t even get the 7 day drive away cover...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

I'm cautious as well, best not to allow wriggle room, as T&C's are pretty specific.

Each insurance company appears to have its own specific policy towards mod's and factory options. Only way to know if the policy covers our specific car, is to state the facts. Clarify with them, their policy on options and modifications.

BMW appear to be good on both, as long as it is BMW that is responsible. If that is their declared policy, I can understand them being strict on other modifications, whatever they are, including any simple cosmetic change.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #19
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH13 View Post
I'd second this - I was looking at £900+ for my 440i MPPSK, but BMW did it for £550 with better cover and a lower excess!
I was curious because a lot of members of this forum have reported very low quotes from BMW insurance, so I did an online quote just out of interest and it was very low.

One thing I did notice was that the quote doesn’t state the exact model of the car from the reg like other insurers do. It just said my car was a 2014 BMW 3 series Diesel automatic, which is correct of course, but It didn’t give details of the exact engine model (330d) or trim level (M sport) at all. It’s as though it doesn’t distinguish between a 320d, 330d, 335d etc. I wonder if this is why the Higher engine model cars are coming back with much lower quotes than other insurance providers are offering
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I've just taken out insurance through BMW as they were quite a bit cheaper than my Hastings renewel, the certificate just says BMW 3 series 2017 diesel, no mention of the model.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #21
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Me: Yes, it has a sticker on the rear window from the 2018 LeMans.
Insurer: ... Okay?...
Me: Well you will replace it in the event of an accident?
Insurer: It's a sticker sir.
Me: Yes, your T&C's are ridiculous and stipulate I must tell you of every change.
Insurer: Yeah, but it's a sticker sir.
Me: (Throws self in shame well)

I'd be embarrassed to even mention it, if you have a bump pull the dam sticker off if you're that bothered, heavens above.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #22
Red-Eye
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Frozen Grey

This is interesting, I've just assumed it being BMW that their insurance wouldn't be competitive.. I'll have to give them a try at renewal! Cheers
Appreciate 0