F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 640d or 340i
GetBMWParts

10-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Sunnyb11
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d xdrive

640d or 340i

Just put down a deposit on a full specced 340i but having second thoughts.

In the same price range you can get a 640d better specced same mileage same age.

Is the 6 series really a lot bigger than the 3?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Completely different cars - assume your haven't driven a 6?

Depends what you're after, if comfort and refinement are top of the bill then (despite the increase in size) I can imagine the 6 being hard to overlook. If you're after something for the occasional B road blast, I'd stick with the 340i.
      10-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

The 6 is a barge next to the 3
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1056.00
      10-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

6 much better quality inside. Drive both and decide before going ham! lol
Appreciate 1
Russbmw680.00
      10-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I had a 2015 435 sport from new. I traded it in for a late 2014 640i sport in summer 2018, so whilst a 4 is not identical to a 3, it’s probably similar enough to. Make a few comparative observations.

The 6 is a long car without a doubt at about 5m long. Actually hardly any wider than a 4 series though. That said, doesn't really look much different on the driveway, you just notice which parking spaces are smaller than average!

Obvious difference will be going to a diesel, and whilst they sound OK for a diesel, it's not a 6 pot petrol noise. (hence I spent ages waiting for the right spec 640i to come along).

Either variant is not slow.

I found my 640 feels it has more go at motorway speeds. You can nail it at 80mph and it just keeps going. The 435, whilst quick, never felt like it would just keep pulling and run off the clock.

The 435 was obviously always going to feel slightly quicker off the line and I was prepared for that, although it's not much I'll be honest. Yes, you could throw the 4 series around more, but because it has less weight, it did feel more skittish and that a bump in the road could get you a bit unstuck if you were pushing on a bit. The 6 is heavier, so it does feel more stable, but you do know its a heavier car for sure although it does stilm go where you point it without too mcuh fuss.

Obviously it has more bulk, but it really doesn't handle badly at all.

Being honest, whilst I loved my 435 for the sound and chucking it about, when sitting in the wife's 530GT, it made my car (despite being a year newer) feel very cheap inside. Whatever "fully specd" 4 series will not compare to a 6 series spec. Also, when I got mine, it was still relatively new and not that common on the roads, compared to now, where there are a lot about. I think when BMW did their promotional year or so ago on the 440, they must’ve sold a tonne.

The 6 series is a world apart inside from any 3/4 series. It feels like its a fucking expensive car. Every time I get in mine I think "damn, this is a nice place to be".

Ultimately, I have my motorbike for speed. For me personally, having a respectably quick car that has all the spec and toys I want is more important than the rare occasion I find myself down a decent enough condition road, with no traffic or crawling dickheads, and police risk free, to be able to spank my car a new one.

I have really been considering what I might want to replace it with, and the F06 M6 is the top of that list, closely followed by the F10 M5. However, and this may sound really stupid, but it's disappointing to see neither came with the digital dash that I already have!

Would I have a 440 if I could have a 6 series of the same spec for the same money? Well, yes because as good as the 640d is, just prefer petrol. If you don't do decent mileage, a diesel of that size is not really worthwhile. I do reasonable miles a week in mine, sometimes 500 ish, and I don't feel a diesel would really benefit me that much, because only about hald of that mileage is motorway runa or journeys more than 12 miles or so.

That should really be your primary concern, IMO.

Both will suffer depreciation at about the same rate. The 340, because they're 10 a penny. The 640d, more likely because its a big ass diesel, which are not the current flavour of the month. Also, 640d are very common...last time I searched for an m sport 640i on Autotrader it returned 2 cars nationwide.

340i or 640i. 640 all day long...or 650 if I could find one.

M3 or M6? Easy.... M6.

It's personal choice ultimately. I've kinda done the fast car, go kart type thing. Pretended to be a race car driver round then nurburgring in my mid to late twenties a number of times.

Right now, driving like an idiot around our shit-ass condition roads, in constant fear of a new speed camera having appeared, or more likley having to slam on the brakes and dawdle along at 35 in a national speed limit zone because that's just what most people seem to do round my way, is waaaaaay down my list of wants from a car. Having something that feels and looks (personal view, of course) a bit special and different, as well as being not to shabby performance and handling wise is where I'm at, and foresee I will be for a while!

Mine as definitely made more lively with a throttle tuning box, it honestly made it drive so different. Presumably because it rolled out the factory with a dulled down response because they assumed buyers of such cars would not be wanting a large car to take off when prodded! �� ��

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-30-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

If you don't need a diesel motorway mile eater then definitely get the 340i. The diesel lacks the motive sound the b58 will provide. However the interior in a 6 is something else and the extras that you can spec are very nice. But the driving experience is completely different. The 6 is large heavy and not that nimble. The 340i will be a lot more agile lighter and this make more for fun when driving in a spirited fashion. The 6 is very comfortable and luxurious and has looks to kill. But the 340i is very competent car the engine is sublime and I'd get one of u dont do a lot of miles. Just my 2 pence.
Appreciate 1
Russbmw680.00
      10-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Definitely down to what your priorities are. Love the shape of the 6, one of the most elegant modern BMWs. I would be tempted by a 640i but I sometimes take passengers and have heard that rear legroom in the 6 isn't as good, despite it being a big car?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
Russbmw680.00
      10-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Definitely down to what your priorities are. Love the shape of the 6, one of the most elegant modern BMWs. I would be tempted by a 640i but I sometimes take passengers and have heard that rear legroom in the 6 isn't as good, despite it being a big car?
Correct, probably wouldn’t be that much different from a 3 series. That said, me and the missus are pretty tall, so in my 4 series I used to have the seat pretty much all the way back, which rendered the rear seating pretty useless for adults, kids it was just about ok. The 640 you could get an adult in, but you’re right, it’s not as big as you’d expect inside.
      10-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #9
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I've just recently came from a 640d to a 335i.

1) The 640d even with a full car is quick and effortless. I don't think the N55 or B58 can ever replicate the low end grunt you get from the diesel. When I have a full car in the F30 I can definitely feel it and performance does take a hit.

2) Build quality is miles better in the 6 - you can immediately tell from the sound it makes when you close the door and the plastics used in the interior. Remember the 640d was their flagship coupe and the parts used are definitely reflected.

3) Where the F30 wins is handling, if you like to throw it around some bends from time to time, the F30 is the one to go for. The 640d is more a high speed motorway cruiser - very stable and comfortable.

4) I found on London roads the F30 is more comfortable, the 6 is very heavy and you feel it when you go over bad quality roads. On the motorway though, the 6 wins.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Sunnyb11
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
I had a 2015 435 sport from new. I traded it in for a late 2014 640i sport in summer 2018, so whilst a 4 is not identical to a 3, it’s probably similar enough to. Make a few comparative observations.

The 6 is a long car without a doubt at about 5m long. Actually hardly any wider than a 4 series though. That said, doesn't really look much different on the driveway, you just notice which parking spaces are smaller than average!

Obvious difference will be going to a diesel, and whilst they sound OK for a diesel, it's not a 6 pot petrol noise. (hence I spent ages waiting for the right spec 640i to come along).

Either variant is not slow.

I found my 640 feels it has more go at motorway speeds. You can nail it at 80mph and it just keeps going. The 435, whilst quick, never felt like it would just keep pulling and run off the clock.

The 435 was obviously always going to feel slightly quicker off the line and I was prepared for that, although it's not much I'll be honest. Yes, you could throw the 4 series around more, but because it has less weight, it did feel more skittish and that a bump in the road could get you a bit unstuck if you were pushing on a bit. The 6 is heavier, so it does feel more stable, but you do know its a heavier car for sure although it does stilm go where you point it without too mcuh fuss.

Obviously it has more bulk, but it really doesn't handle badly at all.

Being honest, whilst I loved my 435 for the sound and chucking it about, when sitting in the wife's 530GT, it made my car (despite being a year newer) feel very cheap inside. Whatever "fully specd" 4 series will not compare to a 6 series spec. Also, when I got mine, it was still relatively new and not that common on the roads, compared to now, where there are a lot about. I think when BMW did their promotional year or so ago on the 440, they must’ve sold a tonne.

The 6 series is a world apart inside from any 3/4 series. It feels like its a fucking expensive car. Every time I get in mine I think "damn, this is a nice place to be".

Ultimately, I have my motorbike for speed. For me personally, having a respectably quick car that has all the spec and toys I want is more important than the rare occasion I find myself down a decent enough condition road, with no traffic or crawling dickheads, and police risk free, to be able to spank my car a new one.

I have really been considering what I might want to replace it with, and the F06 M6 is the top of that list, closely followed by the F10 M5. However, and this may sound really stupid, but it's disappointing to see neither came with the digital dash that I already have!

Would I have a 440 if I could have a 6 series of the same spec for the same money? Well, yes because as good as the 640d is, just prefer petrol. If you don't do decent mileage, a diesel of that size is not really worthwhile. I do reasonable miles a week in mine, sometimes 500 ish, and I don't feel a diesel would really benefit me that much, because only about hald of that mileage is motorway runa or journeys more than 12 miles or so.

That should really be your primary concern, IMO.

Both will suffer depreciation at about the same rate. The 340, because they're 10 a penny. The 640d, more likely because its a big ass diesel, which are not the current flavour of the month. Also, 640d are very common...last time I searched for an m sport 640i on Autotrader it returned 2 cars nationwide.

340i or 640i. 640 all day long...or 650 if I could find one.

M3 or M6? Easy.... M6.

It's personal choice ultimately. I've kinda done the fast car, go kart type thing. Pretended to be a race car driver round then nurburgring in my mid to late twenties a number of times.

Right now, driving like an idiot around our shit-ass condition roads, in constant fear of a new speed camera having appeared, or more likley having to slam on the brakes and dawdle along at 35 in a national speed limit zone because that's just what most people seem to do round my way, is waaaaaay down my list of wants from a car. Having something that feels and looks (personal view, of course) a bit special and different, as well as being not to shabby performance and handling wise is where I'm at, and foresee I will be for a while!

Mine as definitely made more lively with a throttle tuning box, it honestly made it drive so different. Presumably because it rolled out the factory with a dulled down response because they assumed buyers of such cars would not be wanting a large car to take off when prodded! �� ��

Thanks for the write up. Made a good read when weighing up my options - went with the 340i
Appreciate 0