F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should I settle for a 328?
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

09-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #89
bmwftw123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, don't put a cap cost reduction on the lease, and do on one of those "ultimate test drive events" so you have $1000 additional discount
Did one in July but it expired a few days ago, I would've used it on a car but couldn't find any the way I wanted at a model across the US and it couldn't be applied on a new build because it would arrive far later than expiration...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #90
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
I hear xDrive takes the fun out of it. M-Cars don't have xDrive for a very good reason, no?
I expect this to change in the near future for several reasons. 2014 E63 & upcoming 2016 RS6 both equipped w/ standard 4Matic/Quattro. M division has already been able to tune the xDrive unit as seen in the X5M & X6M. Lastly, Franciscus van Meel is leaving Audi to become the head of the M division at the beginning of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwftw123 View Post
I think the issue is that, there is no car out there with the options I want. I've had a couple of dealers search for me and there is nothing from 14/15 335 and 435. I will have to build and that's why I don't think I will get the deal I want. Probably 7% including all incentives at best.

My dealer is just laughable and I want to drop him, I went to test drive and I mentioned I'm looking elsewhere and he just says if you're looking elsewhere for cars but test driving here, you are just using us and we are worth nothing if you don't get a good deal here. And that I should pay more because it's a closer dealer by about an hour and that they are letting me test drive. Then he went on to say crap like we should only be giving you 3 or 4% and that the sales manager is doing too much for me anyways... the fuk...? I just went along with it because I wanted to test drive. But...

What kind of dealer even says that?
As BavarianFanatic said, you laid your cards out on the table too soon. Basically told them they're not going to win so they figure why play. Should've held on to that tid bit until you were sure on which car to get and and you had both dealers at their lowest numbers. On the flip side of that coin, being the closest to you, he should realize that you'll be coming there for service so they'll make it up there but service isn't adding to his numbers.

Quote:
If you calculate what you said out, with a money factor of .0013, I get a monthly payment of $550 with 2000 down, and 1300 trade in on a 58,500 MSRP brand new car... Just hard to believe though
Numbers don't lie. A few members here have shown their deals being close to what you're calculating. You want invoice + $500 (minus applicable incentives) which is doable. Don't forget tax, title, destination, lease inception, and all the other fees.

I would say to sell the Camry on your own and order a car from a board sponsor. 335 vs 328 is your choice and you need to drive both. I will tell you this, buyer's remorse sucks. On my e39 I wish I had looked longer and got one w/ a stick and the sport pkg. Regretted not doing so and was always looking at other cars or entertaining the idea of trading out of it. The next time around, I opted for a new Honda Accord and waited until I could get a BMW the exact way I wanted. If you are only able to negotiate a deal within your budget for a 328, and you don't think you'd be 100% happy, don't do it. You'll spend every day looking at 335's or trying to trade out of it.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #91
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSpecC View Post
You get used to the added power. Sure, it's a little more refined and has a tiny bit of an exhaust note, but for an additional $4k, it's more for the badge than anything else. Spending that premium on things like DHP, Tech Package, and M Sport brakes help round the car out.

I'm coming to a 428i GC from an M3, and while both the 28i and 35i motors are pretty tame compared to the M's S65, I didn't feel like I was missing out on too much by getting the 4-cylinder instead of the 6.

Then again, I don't know why anyone would get a 328i when the 428i GC is available...
That's easy, 200lbs, $3,000, and a manual transmission!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #92
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwauug View Post
I don't think I've ever heard someone with a 335 say I wish I bought a 328 - or I wish I had less HP, TQ….hell, I have a 335 and keep thinking about the M3!!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #93
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard someone with a 335 say I wish I bought a 328 - or I wish I had less HP, TQ….hell, I have a 335 and keep thinking about the M3!!
I do think I've heard someone say they're glad they have an extra ~$1,800 in the bank over the course of a year, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
go 335. It's a no brainer. 328 is a chicks car.
I can tell you aren't compensating for anything in particular.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #94
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
I do think I've heard someone say they're glad they have an extra ~$1,800 in the bank over the course of a year, though
Fair, but why shop for a BMW, then????
      09-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #95
bmwftw123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Your car looks so mean in your sig. I hated black, especially on the F30, but after seeing in person how beautiful black looks on the F32 it really opened my eyes and now black looks so mean on your F30
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #96
bmwftw123
Private First Class
Rep

Just to add something else, I really should retitle this thread, because after test driving the x28's I don't think I am settling. I remember when I did the un4gettable test drive back in the summer, I was expecting huge things driving a 435i xdrive, especially because the best car I had driven until that point was my dads 528. I was underwhelmed, you could tell the power was there but it wasn't too exciting, and this was me flooring the car in sport+ to 120mph. I mean of course it was fun, but compared to my dads heave 528 n20 engine, the gap in excitement I was expecting wasn't there because I really didn't feel the power and I mean I really don't know how else to explain it.

Same thing happened when I recently test drove the 335 and then again when I went back and forth between a 328/428 and 435. The power difference was there but I don't think it's worth the like $5-6k price increase.

Of course the difference in engine sound is there, the cold start on the I6 is awesome.

But I think it's more for the novelty of having a x35 versus an x28 that I would even get it, plus the dual exhaust looks SOOOO much better...

but those reasons aren't worth 5-6k.

I mean I'm 19, lucky as hell that I'm getting a bimmer at this age anyways, I'll enjoy this while I have it and once I start my career... M3 HERE I COME.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #97
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Both are good IMO and have pros/cons. The 328 is a decent car. Having said that, I still prefer the 335i Inline-6, I'm biased because I came from an Inline and loved the smoothness, responsiveness and sound of the engine. Some of us just got the 335i just for the 6 cylinder. Not that we care too much, we just wanted a 6 cylinder. But if you are happy with a 4, then great!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #98
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just to add something else, I really should retitle this thread, because after test driving the x28's I don't think I am settling. I remember when I did the un4gettable test drive back in the summer, I was expecting huge things driving a 435i xdrive, especially because the best car I had driven until that point was my dads 528. I was underwhelmed, you could tell the power was there but it wasn't too exciting, and this was me flooring the car in sport+ to 120mph. I mean of course it was fun, but compared to my dads heave 528 n20 engine, the gap in excitement I was expecting wasn't there because I really didn't feel the power and I mean I really don't know how else to explain it.

Same thing happened when I recently test drove the 335 and then again when I went back and forth between a 328/428 and 435. The power difference was there but I don't think it's worth the like $5-6k price increase.

Of course the difference in engine sound is there, the cold start on the I6 is awesome.

But I think it's more for the novelty of having a x35 versus an x28 that I would even get it, plus the dual exhaust looks SOOOO much better...

I mean I'm 19, lucky as hell that I'm getting a bimmer at this age anyways, I'll enjoy this while I have it and once I start my career... M3 HERE I COME.
You're 19!!! Did I miss that somewhere earlier in this thread? I change my advice then! Forget the F30 altogether, find yourself a clean, low mileage e46 M3 convertible to have fun and be 19 in. A car you can work on yourself and enjoy. I don't know your financial situation, even though you can obviously afford it, you have plenty of time later in life for a $500+ car payment. Use that money to travel, invest, real estate, or even just splurge! Get the F30 335i when it's not even a question if it fits in your budget.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #99
bmwftw123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
You're 19!!! Did I miss that somewhere earlier in this thread? I change my advice then! Forget the F30 altogether, find yourself a clean, low mileage e46 M3 convertible to have fun and be 19 in. A car you can work on yourself and enjoy. I don't know your financial situation, even though you can obviously afford it, you have plenty of time later in life for a $500+ car payment. Use that money to travel, invest, real estate, or even just splurge! Get the F30 335i when it's not even a question if it fits in your budget.
Plenty of time in life to get a new car like this, but only one time in life to get it at this young age

E46 M3 is nice, but I much prefer the design/tech, the e46 is just too outdated in terms of tech and looks, even though it's a really nice car.

I get what you're saying but really don't have any other expenses and yea I could invest it, but in reality, I'm studying to become a dentist, so I'll have plenty of money hopefully to invest for a early and good retirement then, be able to travel, and get a nice car. That money would be more advantageous towards a car right now....

My life is so damn busy with school and extracurricular stuff, this car can bring a ton of pleasure to my everyday life.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #100
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Plenty of time in life to get a new car like this, but only one time in life to get it at this young age

E46 M3 is nice, but I much prefer the design/tech, the e46 is just too outdated in terms of tech and looks, even though it's a really nice car.

I get what you're saying but really don't have any other expenses and yea I could invest it, but in reality, I'm studying to become a dentist, so I'll have plenty of money hopefully to invest for a early and good retirement then, be able to travel, and get a nice car. That money would be more advantageous towards a car right now....

My life is so damn busy with school and extracurricular stuff, this car can bring a ton of pleasure to my everyday life.
Something something counting and chickens...

*Save your money!* Life is pretty unpredictable, and dumping your money into a car is not advantageous. You won't get it back. I'm sure you can find a < 30k car that can also bring a ton of pleasure to your everyday life
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #101
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

I mean I'm 19...
Damn...I was way off.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #102
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Save money for sure. No doubt.

I bought a F30 335i only after buying a house and saving up decent amount of money as well. In fact, I saved enough to make some real estate investments (excluding my own house). Once I reached a certain financial point in savings, then only I decided to get the 335i. BTW I'm a very senior engineer and work on product development. I make decent for a living but I highly recommend to save and spend wisely. You never know, market is very unpredictable and cash is power, not the 335i!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #103
bmwftw123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Save money for sure. No doubt.

I bought a F30 335i only after buying a house and saving up decent amount of money as well. In fact, I saved enough to make some real estate investments (excluding my own house). Once I reached a certain financial point in savings, then only I decided to get the 335i. BTW I'm a very senior engineer and work on product development. I make decent for a living but I highly recommend to save and spend wisely. You never know, market is very unpredictable and cash is power, not the 335i!
I know, saving the money would be smart, but it really doesn't hurt me financially in the long term. I mean I should be around 26 making money in the six figures and then will have tons of disposable income for saving for the future, traveling, cars, etc.

I know "smart" decision would be to save, in the end, I would buy the car right out of school, or buy it now and then have it for the next 10ish years. Either way the money spent is the same, and the fun is NOW
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #104
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know, saving the money would be smart, but it really doesn't hurt me financially in the long term. I mean I should be around 26 making money in the six figures and then will have tons of disposable income for saving for the future, traveling, cars, etc.

I know "smart" decision would be to save, in the end, I would buy the car right out of school, or buy it now and then have it for the next 10ish years. Either way the money spent is the same, and the fun is NOW
Enuff talkin', when do we see the car then?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #105
bmwftw123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Enuff talkin', when do we see the car then?
Order should be placed within the next week, just waiting to see the October incentives, and then car should arrive sometime in December, allowing me to take advantage of best incentives from October-December!

Perfect timing as the car should arrive right after finals and then I can focus on school for now because this vehicle shopping process is driving me insane and then have winter break to enjoy it!

Black Sapphire Metallic F32 it is, 428 or 435, depends on the quotes I get.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:58 AM   #106
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw
Quote:

Totally!! You'll love it so much more.
      09-30-2014, 04:00 AM   #107
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwftw123
Quote:
Your car looks so mean in your sig. I hated black, especially on the F30, but after seeing in person how beautiful black looks on the F32 it really opened my eyes and now black looks so mean on your F30
Thanks. I was surprised how much I loved the bsm when I saw it in person.

Last edited by bmwauug; 09-30-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #108
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I don't mean this as insulting or anything, but be careful, please. I remember being 19, though it was a very long time ago, and I remember believing I had more driving experience than I really did. Both the 328 and the 335 are damn fast compared to most cars on the road and a lot can happen if you under or over-estimate them. Lose sight of the potential destruction that can happen if you forget how dangerous driving really is, and very bad things will happen very fast.

The average time it takes a human to blink is .2 or .3 seconds. The difference in 0-60 speeds between the 28 and 35 is about two blinks. Not very long at all. Of course, the difference between the 0-60 time of a 328 and a new Honda Civic is about 20 blinks...which is plenty of time to calm down and use your brakes when you realize you've done something silly.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread