F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A couple 335i annoyances so far!
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

A couple 335i annoyances so far!

picked up 335 yesterday and it's a beast! but not w/o some annoyances.. here's my top ones so far:

Comfort mode by default - it doesn't remember your last setting (sport!)

Engine auto stop/start is pretty annoying. they say you don't notice but geez the whole car shakes when you take your foot off the brake. maybe it takes time getting used to? - again I wish this could be disabled by default or at least remember your last setting

Cup holders!!!! they are definitely changing this at some point. why not have a sliding cover? the cover is big, clunky, and heavy. pretty much leaving it in the glove box for the time being

Rearview camera stays after switching from R to D - shouldn't it just go back to your previous screen? I have to hit the nav button or whatever to turn the rearview camera off after i'm done reversing

Bluetooth audio is either buggy or terrible design - when it doesn't give you the same search/browse options as the USB to the iphone. and once you start playing some tracks you can't rerun a search. really really poor. I'm probably going to just copy all my music to the HD.

No phone cradle included - I purchased enhanced the bmw apps but some don't work unless you buy the cradle. there's a $120 and a $300 cradle... WTF!!! such a waste adding those options and i'm not buying the damn cradle

i think that's it for now.... back in the car so people can stare!!! haha
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwwyeah206 View Post
picked up 335 yesterday and it's a beast! but not w/o some annoyances.. here's my top ones so far:

Engine auto stop/start is pretty annoying. they say you don't notice but geez the whole car shakes when you take your foot off the brake. maybe it takes time getting used to? - again I wish this could be disabled by default or at least remember your last setting

Cup holders!!!! they are definitely changing this at some point. why not have a sliding cover? the cover is big, clunky, and heavy. pretty much leaving it in the glove box for the time being

Rearview camera stays after switching from R to D - shouldn't it just go back to your previous screen? I have to hit the nav button or whatever to turn the rearview camera off after i'm done reversing

Bluetooth audio is either buggy or terrible design - when it doesn't give you the same search/browse options as the USB to the iphone. and once you start playing some tracks you can't rerun a search. really really poor. I'm probably going to just copy all my music to the HD.

No phone cradle included - I purchased enhanced the bmw apps but some don't work unless you buy the cradle. there's a $120 and a $300 cradle... WTF!!! such a waste adding those options and i'm not buying the damn cradle

thanks for reassuring my feelings about enhanced BT and BMW apps, and the rear view camera.

Silly that with all the configurable options in idrive you can set your default drive mode, and disable auto start/stop?

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
The cars I tested turned it automatically off once you hit 25mph, similar as several other options. It didn't with you?

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
The cars I tested turned it automatically off once you hit 25mph, similar as several other options. It didn't with you?
hmmm i never got that far cause i just switched it bad right away... thanks for the tip and will try!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:

That cupholder cover was a bit odd. The cupholders are undoubtedly better than the last generation but there's nowhere convenient to store that cover.

If your rearview camera continues to show what's behind you after you're in drive, you should contact the dealer probably. If you're saying it just doesn't return to the previous screen, yeah...thats annoying. They can probably fix it down the road though.

I didn't really understand the explanation about the bluetooth audio issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
That cupholder cover was a bit odd. The cupholders are undoubtedly better than the last generation but there's nowhere convenient to store that cover.
there is a net in the glove box specifically for the storage of the cup holder lid.

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
there is a net in the glove box specifically for the storage of the cup holder lid.
sick...that's like the one thing the salesman didn't show me. smart idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

My annoyances are the toggle thing on the right side of the wheel, it controls things in the speedo LCD, but it should also control the idrive. And its 2 things to change a track, instead of a click, its a scroll then press(getting picky here lol)

There should be an idrive setting what mide i want the car to start in.

And the auto start stop is kind of a pain.

Overall the idrive is just a pain in the ass if you dont have nav.

Also, the key fob is frickin huge
      02-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

You mentioned copying the music to the hd. I'm assuming the car has a hard drive? If so, what's the capacity of the hard drive?
      02-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
You mentioned copying the music to the hd. I'm assuming the car has a hard drive? If so, what's the capacity of the hard drive?
I read its a 60GB drive, but after OS, Navi maps, etc. you are left with ~12GBs

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Pretty easy to disable Start/Stop if that's what you want — for example, it's disabled if you're in M/S on the AT. I think BMW doesn't want you to drive in Sport all the time — they're watching! Seriously, I'm guessing that they can't make the EPA mileage claims they do unless the default mode is not Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
hmmm i never got that far cause i just switched it bad right away... thanks for the tip and will try!
Let me know how it worked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
I didn't know about that, yet I still feel that the cover/lid might get lost pretty easy if I don't watch my daughter.. I think it would've been better to have a slider instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Probably a better battery lol.. the key fob for my X5 is almost completely empty, I try to charge it but my drives are too short in order to get it really charged. After a charge it takes 3-4 days and I have an annoying "battery empty" message in my idrive lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

To clarify, you're saying that if you dont have navigation, the requirement to use the knob for everything makes it take longer and is more frustrating...

Cuz I am thinking of ordering without nav to save $4500
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Wait, what do you mean by this? How does having nav change iDrive's operation, other than the obvious addition of the navigation functionality and the larger screen?

I'm still unsure if I want to get the technology package or not, so that's partially why I'm asking. Do you regret not getting it?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
Wait, what do you mean by this? How does having nav change iDrive's operation, other than the obvious addition of the navigation functionality and the larger screen?

I'm still unsure if I want to get the technology package or not, so that's partially why I'm asking. Do you regret not getting it?
I would not get nav only becuase i know everywhere to go in south florida, i would rather have dedicated buttons for each function, the idrive just makes some things take longer. Not sure how having nav changes other than bigger screen and the circle control can click foward and back as well as side to side(non nav only click side to side, as well as turns and presses)
      02-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
To clarify, you're saying that if you dont have navigation, the requirement to use the knob for everything makes it take longer and is more frustrating...

Cuz I am thinking of ordering without nav to save $4500
There are 8 buttons you can cutomize, its not so much it takes longer and is frustrating, you will eventiually get it down pat, its just coming from my e90 where everything had a button, thats what i prefer.

There are advantages to having the screen tho, more things are customiazble, and the manual in the idrive is cool
      02-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
My annoyances are the toggle thing on the right side of the wheel, it controls things in the speedo LCD, but it should also control the idrive. And its 2 things to change a track, instead of a click, its a scroll then press(getting picky here lol)

There should be an idrive setting what mide i want the car to start in.

And the auto start stop is kind of a pain.

So, the auto stop/start, you can't disable it?
I remember reading the info on that mess, and every time I'd read that we could disable it.
But, from what I think you are saying is that you can turn it off, but you have to turn it off EVERY TIME you start the car? If so, that f-ing sucks, and it's truly an oversight. I hope they do a software update and fix that.

I'll bet that to achieve the MPG rating, BMW had to set the auto stop/start to be 'on' by default.
To me, the proper way to set it up would be to allow the owner to set the default to be "on" or "off", and then change it when you change your mind.

I remember seeing the new color matched key fob in pictures before the release and thinking, WTF! that thing is huge!
They have "comfort access" so that you can keep the fob in your pocket or purse, and then create a HUGE fob so that it's uncomfortable while in your pocket. Sounds silly to me. My current fob is nicely sized. What's the point of this super sized fob?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
So, the auto stop/start, you can't disable it?
I remember reading the info on that mess, and every time I'd read that we could disable it.
But, from what I think you are saying is that you can turn it off, but you have to turn it off EVERY TIME you start the car? If so, that f-ing sucks, and it's truly an oversight. I hope they do a software update and fix that.

I'll bet that to achieve the MPG rating, BMW had to set the auto stop/start to be 'on' by default.
To me, the proper way to set it up would be to allow the owner to set the default to be "on" or "off", and then change it when you change your mind.

I remember seeing the new color matched key fob in pictures before the release and thinking, WTF! that thing is huge!
They have "comfort access" so that you can keep the fob in your pocket or purse, and then create a HUGE fob so that it's uncomfortable while in your pocket. Sounds silly to me. My current fob is nicely sized. What's the point of this super sized fob?
correct, and if you switch to eco pro mode, it goes back on
      02-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep

Rear view camera does turn off after driving for a bit.

Bluetooth audio is just buggy. Let's say you select to play an album. Now you want to go back and choose another album, there is no menu option to go back to search. I work in software so I'm good at figuring these things out. Simply no option until you stop/start the car again.

Auto stop start malfunctioned today. Was at a stop and when I took foot off brake the engine tried to start but failed. Got message on computer to hit the Start/Stop button to start the engine. Freaked me out and lucky I was pulling out of an alley and not at a stop light.

Basically now I have to get in the habit of every time I start the car enabling sport and disabling auto stop/start. Annoying.

And yet I still love her!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

At a stop light, i have has the engine turn off, then turn back on like it has a mind of its own.

Also, when the engine is off, if you pull one of the paddles or try to turn the wheel hard enough the engine turns back on, not really an annoyance, just something i found out
      02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Ah, gotta love first-year model glitches. I think most of that (except the cupholders) could be fixed by a software update though.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Very good info here, thank you. This is the kind of stuff you'd have to bang your head against the wall with if it weren't for you folks giving us the ownership scoop.
Appreciate 0