F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trunk height 4series GC, parking garages?
Studio RSR

01-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
Doublep
Happily breaking in the F36!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 430i GC EB/SB

Trunk height 4series GC, parking garages?

So I noticed the trunk opens like the mouth of some giant mythological creature. It's massive. Brilliant in 95% of times, easy to get into and actually tall enough for a 6'1" guy not to hit his head.

But...

What if I open it in a parking garage? How can I stop it from opening all the way? Will it work to just force stop it with 'hand-power'?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
If you place your hand at the height were you'd want the trunk to stop opening, even without exercising too much pressure, it will stop.
Same goes for closing of the trunk.

I don't know if it would be possible to program a max height as default.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
If you place your hand at the height were you'd want the trunk to stop opening, even without exercising too much pressure, it will stop.

Thanks for the tip about the hand and the trunk stopping.
As for your question about programming; yes, there is an option in the menus to specify maximum opening height. But I dont want to go into options somewhere every time i am in a parking garage and then change it back for normal use.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
63MM
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post

Im going to have to try this again. When I was in an underground garage for the first time with my GC and opened the hatch, it took quite a bit of effort for me to stop the lid from going up all the way. I thought I was going to rip off my spoiler.
Appreciate 1
Doublep74.00
      01-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63MM View Post
Im going to have to try this again. When I was in an underground garage for the first time with my GC and opened the hatch, it took quite a bit of effort for me to stop the lid from going up all the way. I thought I was going to rip off my spoiler.
I also suspect that opening the trunk with the trunk switch near the license plate and then pulling it open, will do it. I did that, and you basically have to pull hard for each inch to open...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

When you open it and kick under the bumper try to kick it a second time at the height you want it to stop and see if that works. I am not 100% certain so try it outdoors first.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
When you open it and kick under the bumper try to kick it a second time at the height you want it to stop and see if that works. I am not 100% certain so try it outdoors first.
Thanks for the tip. One slight problem....that would require the comfort access package, which is just about the only package I decided I didnt need. So I can kick all I want, I'll only end up with dents in the bumper.

However, perhaps pressing the button on the remote a 2nd time will work...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublep
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. One slight problem....that would require the comfort access package, which is just about the only package I decided I didnt need. So I can kick all I want, I'll only end up with dents in the bumper.

is your garage really low? I don't think that lid open up over 6ft and most garages are over 6ft or very close. maybe you don't need to limit the opening. maybe just measure it to see if the height fully opened is OK with the garage.
Appreciate 1
Doublep74.00
      01-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
63MM
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
is your garage really low? I don't think that lid open up over 6ft and most garages are over 6ft or very close. maybe you don't need to limit the opening. maybe just measure it to see if the height fully opened is OK with the garage.
With my spoiler, the hatch lid stands at almost 7 feet when fully open.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
63MM
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublep View Post
Great tip, it does indeed work. Can stop the hatch at any height pressing the fob a second time. However, press it a 3rd time and the hatch fully opens.
Appreciate 2
Doublep74.00
CalCarNut1060.50
      01-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63MM
Quote:
Great tip, it does indeed work. Can stop the hatch at any height pressing the fob a second time. However, press it a 3rd time and the hatch fully opens.
But the button on the trunk hatch will close it from any position, I assume?

Last edited by Doublep; 01-13-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So I noticed the trunk opens like the mouth of some giant mythological creature. It's massive. Brilliant in 95% of times, easy to get into and actually tall enough for a 6'1" guy not to hit his head.

But...

What if I open it in a parking garage? How can I stop it from opening all the way? Will it work to just force stop it with 'hand-power'?
I don't know what garages are like in your country. My wife's car is a Mazda CX-9, and in my house garage and every commercial parking garage I've ever been in, I can fully open the Mazda's hatch, garage door opened or closed, with no problem whatsoever. I can't believe the GC's hatch goes higher than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I don't know what garages are like in your country. My wife's car is a Mazda CX-9, and in my house garage and every commercial parking garage I've ever been in, I can fully open the Mazda's hatch, garage door opened or closed, with no problem whatsoever. I can't believe the GC's hatch goes higher than that.
Well, most anything car-related is smaller on average in Europe than in the US

Most commercial garages are ok, if you park front in first. However, quite a few are lower at the end of the spot, so if you park ass in first, it will damage it. I previously had an Alfa Romeo Giulietta and I damaged the trunk door in the first month by carelessly opening it in a parking garage.

Once you've recovered from my artistic talent, you can see in the drawing below, what I mean. The red hatch is parked front-end in, it's fine. The blue 430iGC is parked ass-in, which poses a problem...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Most commercial garages are ok, if you park front in first. However, quite a few are lower at the end of the spot, so if you park ass in first, it will damage it. I previously had an Alfa Romeo Giulietta and I damaged the trunk door in the first month by carelessly opening it in a parking garage.

Once you've recovered from my artistic talent, you can see in the drawing below, what I mean. The red hatch is parked front-end in, it's fine. The blue 430iGC is parked ass-in, which poses a problem...

Chris Bangle is that you ?
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

You have a 2-level garage. That's cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #16
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
You have a 2-level garage. That's cool.
Yeah. no. My personal garage is so small and filled with bicycles (we are Dutch, after all) that no car fits in it. This would be describing a public garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Chris Bangle is that you ?
You got me!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #17
63MM
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The ceilings are plenty high enough, its when the spot you chose has a low hanging object like a light or water main.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #18
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

Why not just change the height it opens up to using idrive? There are 5 different heights to choose from and there's a fairly big difference between fully open and the next step down.
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      01-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #19
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
^^^ this.

I have mine set to just open exactly even with the car roofline so its a straight line. This way, it doesn't smack a shelf in the garage........
      01-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #20
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63MM View Post
this i did know. Good piece of knowledge!
      01-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #21
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

BTW, I did not see this mentioned anywhere but the opening height of the hatch can be adjusted in the iDrive. I think it has 5 different steps from all the way open to "much smaller opening".

If you remember to change the hatch height you wont have to do the double button press thing. I tested this out on my 435 GC (2016) because I was worried that the "full open" height would be so high it would be in the track of my garage door at home.

It wasnt, but I set it to the least amount of opening and tested each step till I saw exactly where they stopped.

Hope that helps you.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #22
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut
^^^ this.

I have mine set to just open exactly even with the car roofline so its a straight line. This way, it doesn't smack a shelf in the garage........
I know that's possible. But do I want to go into that setting each time I'm in a parking garage or in a spot with low ha ging branches or something? Probably not. And I don't want to permanently change it, because generally speaking I like the maximum height and the massive opening of the trunk that comes with it.
Appreciate 0